Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

I'm tempted to scrap my above build for a friend and build around this instead.

Corb3t posted:

I'm helping a friend build a "casual gamers" SFF PC without a GPU with the idea that she'll use the onboard GPU until a more demanding game is released that requires it. She's only going to be doing light 1080p gaming - Minecraft, Sims 4/5, Stardew.

My parts list is available here, is there anything I should swap out, or does everything look good? Normally I go with MSI motherboards, but their ITX boards are rather pricy. I'd also normally go with a Corsair SFX PSU, but they only seem to have SFF-L format over 750 watts.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700G 3.8 GHz 8-Core Processor ($177.10 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool R-AN600-BKNNMN-G 61.56 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL18 Memory ($94.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 990 Pro 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($134.99 @ B&H)
Case: Fractal Design Terra Mini ITX Desktop Case ($179.99 @ B&H)
Power Supply: Lian Li SP850 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($136.37 @ Amazon)
Total: $963.42

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-06 13:08 EDT-0400

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

I wonder if you could fit that and a 4090 in the Fractal Terra.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Corb3t posted:

I'm tempted to scrap my above build for a friend and build around this instead.

The 7745HX will have roughly half the integrated graphics performance of the 5700G, as it is essentially just a Ryzen 7700X desktop part in a different package. For the basic games you listed (Minecraft, Sims 4, Stardew), that may not matter much, and the overall platform is much newer of course... but it might mean she ends up getting a stand alone GPU sooner.

There are rumors that actual AMD is going to bring their mobile APUs to AM5 with their larger integrated graphics blocks sometime Soonish.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
A 7900XT PowerColor Hellhound fits snugly into a Sliger CL530, for what that’s worth. I really can’t believe GPUs have gotten this gigantic.

YerDa Zabam
Aug 13, 2016

Mini pc. Mini scissors. Mini screwdriver.
Living the mini life to the max (min)

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

YerDa Zabam posted:

Mini pc. Mini scissors. Mini screwdriver.
Living the mini life to the max (min)
if you only knew what size the zipties i was cutting with those scissors

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Scissors for cutting cable ties? The horror

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Currently looking to downsize my existing PC, reusing my Gigabyte RTX 3070 (L=286 W=115 H=51 mm) and Ryzen 5800X3D.

Any suggestions on a B550 mini-itx board that isn't gigabyte (I had to replace my gigabyte mobo last year after they refused to repair/replace multiple times when it regularly would not boot, while still under warranty)?

Was thinking of going Cooler Master NR200 for the case. Haven't even looked at PSUs yet.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Currently looking to downsize my existing PC, reusing my Gigabyte RTX 3070 (L=286 W=115 H=51 mm) and Ryzen 5800X3D.

Any suggestions on a B550 mini-itx board that isn't gigabyte (I had to replace my gigabyte mobo last year after they refused to repair/replace multiple times when it regularly would not boot, while still under warranty)?

Was thinking of going Cooler Master NR200 for the case. Haven't even looked at PSUs yet.

There is the ASRock B550m-ITX/ac https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089VYCHMG for $130 and the ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax https://www.amazon.com/dp/B089VYCHMG for $192.

I have an NR200P and for a PSU I'm running a Cooler Master V850 SFX https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Efficiency-Included-Warranty/dp/B0CFCZYC2Q?th=1

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sadly there's no B550 ITX board that does all the things at once, some have dumb fans, some have barely accessible CMOS headers, some have USB-C headers and others don't etc. The Gigabyte had the things I wanted and I never had issues with my B450 and B550 Gigabyte ITX boards, but I heard horror stories about their support too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5xcVF04B_M

I'd probably get the Asrock phantom gaming nowadays. Or the basic B550m if you don't need fancy features, and you shouldn't be overclocking Ryzens anyway.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

orcane posted:

Sadly there's no B550 ITX board that does all the things at once, some have dumb fans, some have barely accessible CMOS headers, some have USB-C headers and others don't etc. The Gigabyte had the things I wanted and I never had issues with my B450 and B550 Gigabyte ITX boards, but I heard horror stories about their support too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5xcVF04B_M

I'd probably get the Asrock phantom gaming nowadays. Or the basic B550m if you don't need fancy features, and you shouldn't be overclocking Ryzens anyway.

B550 Phantom Gaming-ITX/ax doesn't have any sort of flashback feature iirc which sucks because it would have been the perfect board otherwise

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Alphacool’s metal fans dropped. The prices are expensive at around $30 each but not all that bad compared to the other top fans. But I don’t know what they were smoking when they said the fans are half as loud at the same RPMs, it’s simply not true.

They also weigh about 12oz each, which is around 250% of the average plastic fan.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Are there any actual advantages or are they just metal for the cool factor?

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
I feel like if you could get a significant advantage (at a reasonable price point) from making fans out of metal, someone like Noctua or Cooler Master would have done it already. It's not exactly an exotic material.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

Seeing some theorizing that maybe having a metal housing/frame allows tighter tolerances for the space between the fan blade tips and the surrounding housing, which maybe alters the resonance of the fan, possibly reducing the sounds. Though as stated, if it actually makes a reasonable difference Noctua would have likely done it already. Also should probably be noted that the fan blades themselves are still plastic.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Derbauer tested it. He was not impressed.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

I may be misremembering, but wasn’t there another “controversy” at some point in the last couple years where Igor’s Lab posted extremely unreliable data about something else? Maybe PS5 thermals or something?

down1nit
Jan 10, 2004

outlive your enemies
Just gave it a once over too. The metal seems all just be because of the "special damping system" gimmick. There are o-rings slotted into the fan part that cushion the metal frame clamped over it. It needs to be a metal frame to tightly secure the fan in the middle, else it would just slip out of its frame. Look how thin the frame is compared to the fan body. Stamping that out of sheet guarantees it's strong enough in the first version. Thin rear end plastic being screwed together around heat seems like the wrong choice.

They went through all the trouble, they must see a benefit (on paper) to fan clamps idea going forward. If they keep at it, seems like it could lead to a more improved implementation down the line... I mean it's an extra o ring added onto both sides of a fan... It's gotta get somewhat quieter right?

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Hm. I feel like metal fans are just a new and exciting way to hurt myself when working in the case.

One potential advantage could be that you can now sharpen the blades :black101:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I think the blades are still plastic, alas.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005
They'll never get cutting edge performance that way

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

This is interesting, but obviously an easy build process.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0e1nDf0GYZU

Kind of reminds me of Apple's trash can computer, that had a shared air-cooled heatsink for CPU and GPU.

VulgarandStupid fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jan 22, 2024

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Nice they found someone competent to review it instead.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

ijyt posted:

Nice they found someone competent to review it instead.

despite all that it seems like he came to the same conclusion as Linus - fiddly build and thermals not as good as individual blocks. A lot of the criticism from Steve was that Linus was "too harsh" on a small business making an extremely expensive niche product, and frankly that's a plus for me from a reviewer. Don't get so buddy-buddy with these guys, you're not their marketing team

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

hypnophant posted:

despite all that it seems like he came to the same conclusion as Linus - fiddly build and thermals not as good as individual blocks. A lot of the criticism from Steve was that Linus was "too harsh" on a small business making an extremely expensive niche product, and frankly that's a plus for me from a reviewer. Don't get so buddy-buddy with these guys, you're not their marketing team

His criticism wasn't because they were harsh, but because they dragged it while testing it with incompatible parts, making it look worse from a performance perspective than it actually was. And then apparently stole the prototype (unless I'm misremembering which product it was).

If they had said this is a stupid product for nobody outside of the niche-est of niche builders after testing it fairly I don't think anyone would have thought anything of it.

Branch Nvidian
Nov 29, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

And then apparently stole the prototype (unless I'm misremembering which product it was).

Sold “Auctioned” the block after being asked to return it and lost the 3090 that the block was attached to when it was sent to Linus for a while. The GPU was probably sitting in someone’s computer, given the LMG Intel/AMD tech upgrade videos always show people have a LOT of stuff from the office getting appropriated for home use.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

His criticism wasn't because they were harsh, but because they dragged it while testing it with incompatible parts, making it look worse from a performance perspective than it actually was. And then apparently stole the prototype (unless I'm misremembering which product it was).

ltt did a bunch of other really dumb and heinous poo poo, but the reason they gave for not retesting the block with correct parts is that they didn't think the performance gain would be significant enough to change the conclusion, and it turns out they were right about that

quote:

If they had said this is a stupid product for nobody outside of the niche-est of niche builders after testing it fairly I don't think anyone would have thought anything of it.

I do find it funny that steve is now going out of his way to avoid saying this. "it's a great product if you have the ability to do custom case fabrication!" like c'mon dude

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.
The issues with LTT's review wasn't the conclusion, it was how they reached it and then the rest of the very unprofessional way they handled the company and the legitimate complaints from their viewers, which were symptomatic of many fundamental problems with the mentality, organisation and management of their whole business.

Gamers' Nexus on the other hand are thorough and meticulous to a fault, and while they do come across a bit holier-than-thou and slightly patronising at times, I much prefer their general consumer friendly attitude and how rigorous they are in their testing and the reviews and recommendations they make based on that. I'm not watching that waterblock video but the fact it even exists kind of feels like its only to spite Linus, because although their takedown of LTT was absolutely necessary and overdue, Steve definitely enjoyed it (and all other times he's got to 'stick it to the man')

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

hypnophant posted:

ltt did a bunch of other really dumb and heinous poo poo, but the reason they gave for not retesting the block with correct parts is that they didn't think the performance gain would be significant enough to change the conclusion, and it turns out they were right about that

If it's not worth the time to test correctly, don't publish a review I think is a fairly reasonable position.

They could have easily done a quick "here's a silly thing we got sent but we're not going to test it because it's pointless video," or published nothing at all.

Doing what they did was fundamentally pretty unfair even if better performance wouldn't change their recommendation.

E: and I say this as someone who actually both likes ltts tech clown schtick and often thinks GN blows stuff out of proportion.

VorpalFish fucked around with this message at 20:16 on Jan 22, 2024

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

A combined waterblock is a neat idea and I like the concept of sandwiching components like that, but that one doesn't seem to cut it no. Not sure if it's possible given the constraints you have to work with. It would probably be better to have separate blocks that have integrated pipes between them.

That said it's still nice to see a review done by someone competent who can say that it's a mediocre product for objective reasons, not because they prioritize time to publish over good testing.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
so I guess the flat packing and new design for the C4 are pushed back to a later revision, and the V2 will mostly be an optimized, slightly larger V1 so it can have mATX support

also the I/O panel moves to where it should have been in the first place IMO (front/bottom) and gains USB-A and 3.5 mm jacks (good for my Gigabyte B550 I which lacks an internal USB-C header)

https://old.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/1accu6e/dan_c4sfx_v2_update/

negativeneil
Jul 8, 2000

"Personally, I think he's done a great job of being down to earth so far."
I've been running an ncase M1 for the last few years with dual 120mm fans pulling from the bottom right onto the GPU. I just bought a RTX 4070S with 2 large fans of its own and I'm starting to wonder if this is a good idea? There's a very small gap between the Noctua case fans and the GPU fans. Would I be better off just taking out the case fans and letting the GPU fans do their thing?

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

negativeneil posted:

I've been running an ncase M1 for the last few years with dual 120mm fans pulling from the bottom right onto the GPU. I just bought a RTX 4070S with 2 large fans of its own and I'm starting to wonder if this is a good idea? There's a very small gap between the Noctua case fans and the GPU fans. Would I be better off just taking out the case fans and letting the GPU fans do their thing?

Try it as is, you might get some turbulance that would up the noise. If you do, then pop those fans out.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

negativeneil posted:

It's likely better to keep the case fans in, which will guarantee that the gpu fans are pulling in air from outside the case. If you leave a 3+ cm gap between the gpu fans and the panel air is coming through, then that will increase the amount of recirculation happening since the gpu fans will pull in more of their own exhaust.

edit: if you can rig up some ducting though, that could be better than using those intake fans. I assume the case also has some exhaust fans elsewhere?

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Steve got a loaner M1EVO & unsurprisingly he doesn't dig it

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Why is that unsurprising?

After watching that yesterday I'm glad the next C4-SFX version is not flatpacked yet, I absolutely do not want to deal with IKEA style PC cases.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

orcane posted:

Why is that unsurprising?

Gamers nexus prioritise airflow temps and noise above all else so ITX cases are always gonna be niche for them

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Butterfly Valley posted:

Gamers nexus prioritise airflow temps and noise above all else so ITX cases are always gonna be niche for them

That’s not really the reason they didn’t like it. That case looks like a nightmare to build in, that was Steve’s problem. I wish they would have gotten a Dan C4-SFX, which is the opposite. A joy to build in.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Animal posted:

That’s not really the reason they didn’t like it. That case looks like a nightmare to build in, that was Steve’s problem. I wish they would have gotten a Dan C4-SFX, which is the opposite. A joy to build in.

Not much point in reviewing a case that was discontinued after a limited run.

"Would be great... if you could buy one" isn't exactly a killer conclusion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I mean in some way it's not that different than the endless M1 revisions? Apparently the one Steve tested already doesn't exist anymore as a thing you can buy. There will be more runs of the C4 and you can get them used :shrug:

And yeah almost all the criticism in that video is about the infinite screws you have to handle, how terrible the manual was, how the flexibility is nice but mechanically it's a pain to do etc. Also the case is very expensive.