Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
Hello friendos,

I was hoping someone here could recommend me a PSU and 2TB HDD, here's the build I'm considering:
Case: Thermaltake Core v1
CPU: Intel i5 6500
GPU: Asus GTX 970 DCMOC
MOBO: Gigebyte z170N-Wifi
RAM: 16G Kit (8Gx2) 3200Hz Corsair Vengeance LPX
2*120 Gb SSD Windows 10 on one, Ubuntu 14.04 on the other
1*2 TB HDD for storing games, and audio visual entertainment, plus a myriad of other poo poo

I was looking at a Coolermaster Vanguard 80+ Gold Full-Modular 550 PSU, and a WD Blue 2TB HDD.

I'm also interested in comments on my other choices except my GPU, because I've already bought that, especially whether its worth getting a Z mobo to host 3200 Hz RAM when I won't be overclocking. This build will be used to run games like modern games, and a bunch of engineering stuff like solidworks, abaqus, and the like.

Thanks in advance for any help

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
I recently built:

CPU: Intel i5 6600k
GPU: Asus GTX 970 DCMOC
MOBO: Gigebyte Z170N-Wifi
RAM: 16G Kit (8Gx2) 3200Hz Corsair Vengeance LPX
2*120 Gb SSD Windows 10 on one, Ubuntu 14.04 on the other

And I'm pretty happy with it, but what I've noticed is that the huge fan at the front of the case give me a massive reservoir of cool air between the front of the case and the cpu cooler, but the air behind the cpu cooler is kind of still. My mobo only supports 2 fans (1 cpu, and 1 case), but is there some other way to power two 80 mm fans at the back of the case, to get better air flow?

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

I somehow doubt Asus will be the only company to put out a dual m.2 mITX motherboard. Just sit tight, I'm sure something cheaper will show up.

But will i be able to rice the poo poo out of whatever someone else brings out? If my thermaltake core v1 isn't glowing like the tesseract then I don't really see the point

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

an skeleton posted:

Thanks for the input, y'all. If you have any suggestions on an alternative case that i can basically interchange with the Manta, that would be great. I will say that I am new to building PCs and if fitting everything into a tiny case means I am going to gently caress things up, maybe I should just go with the Manta?

Will changing to these affect anything else?

I would get a Thermaltake Supressor F1, its a cube case and about 30*30*30 cm. It should fit everything youre getting. I would go to Kabylake, because Kabylake mobos have madd leds on them, plus more common support for M2 drives. The Strix mitx mobo has a heat sink on its M2, and whoch should help prevent throttling i guess, since most other mobo have M2 on the bottom of the board. its a fair bit more then what you're looking at though. Also Z270 boards tend to have water pump headers, which i assume is a good thing even if you're using an AIO

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

an skeleton posted:

What will I get from the ASUS board that I don't get from this one?

also, should I be getting an m.2 SSD?

Asus has extra m.2 slot, MSI has usb 3.1 and extra system fan header. Asus has m.2 on top of the board, which will help with cooling.

m.2 SSD's are sick. mine lets me slampick Hanzo every time, and loads my poo poo up super fast. I only regret getting a 950 pro before the 960 came out. Also having such a small OS drive is great for SFF builds, especially if you have some NAS.

Salted_Pork fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Jan 22, 2017

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

an skeleton posted:

hmm I really dont want to wait for the Asus. When you say "will help with cooling", how much help are we talking about here? As in should I be afraid of my m.2 SSD roasting on the MSI?

My 950pro has been fine so far (i think, speccy doesn't show me temps for it, but it hasn't died), and its nestled under my z170n-wifi mobo, just above my psu. Samsung says its health is good whatever that means. I would feel much better if it had a heat sink, but I would pick 2 fan headers over that, which would allow me to run pwm and dc fans.

an skeleton posted:

how did you know im building this PC exclusively to slampick hanzo

you can build computers for other things?

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

I think his point is "Don't buy M2 SATA, buy M2 NVMe"

So for Samsung you want to look at the 960 series instead, though it's considerably more expensive.

950 is nvme, though it's a bit slower and has issues with getting hot.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
Is there much difference between cpu cooler heat sinks? I currently have a Tt frio 12 cooling my i5-6600k and I'm running some fairly large simulations that take 10 hours to complete so I tried OCing a bit and even putting it to 4.2 GHz caused it to get to about 70 C which is a bit hotter than the recommended 64 C. I'm considering getting a new cooler (Noctua CPU Cooler [NH-U12S]), but thought it might be better/cheaper to chuck a fan on the other side my current cooler if the shape of the heat-sink doesn't make much difference

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Grundulum posted:

What case do you have that fits that cooler and still qualifies as SFF?

it's a thermaltake core v1, a one foot cube case. I will take your other advice under consideration

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

an skeleton posted:

CPU

GPU

my CPU/GPU max/average temps after a game of overwatch on ultra mega super duper settings in my node 202 rig. pretty hot, how worried should I be?

GPU is fine CPU is well hot. My 6600k never goes above 60 c. might be poorly applied thermal paste. What cpu and gpu you got?

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Photex posted:

Soon.

Just waiting on a replacement SSD and my case.

Interested to hear how that mobo goes. Looking to get one to replace my Z170n-wifi. I really like the m2 on top with heat sink

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
I have a semi modular psu, and I'm thinking of sleeving all the cables from it. The cables from the psu are way longer than I need for my build, and I was wondering if anyone had cut their cables short and if they had any advice. I'm thinking of trimming them back to 30 or 40 cm, from 60 cm. I'm also considering cutting out two connectors from a sata power cable.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

fatman1683 posted:

They're trying to pull an Apple, which I can't get behind. The biggest reason to go PC has always been modularity and upgradability, and most major PC makers won't void your warranty for installing standard upgrade parts.

I understand that the GPU cooling package is application-specific, but the CPU & waterblock, RAM and drives are all standard components, and it appears to even be using an off-the-shelf mITX motherboard.

If Corsair offered this case by itself, or even as a barebones package, I would be all over it. As it stands, I can't condone their warranty policy that strictly prohibits upgrades.

To be fair, do you really see yourself upgrading from a GTX 1070 or better in the two year warranty period? If you have that kind of money, you could probably just by a new one.

To me the best reason to go PC is because I'm a huge nerd and like messing around in things, plus I can't do work on a console. I find that if I upgrade anything other than the GPU it's usually a complete rebuild, like when I went from Sandybridge to Skylake last year.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

In the case of Corsair, they've just chosen parts that fit and made a custom case.

That's not really true. Corsair had to develop a cooling system where 1 120mm fan brings air over two radiators. If people start changing things inside the case it's highly likely on radiator will restrict the flow of air more than the other, which would lead to some components overheating.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

VulgarandStupid posted:

Of course, but what could you be adding to a motherboard that takes that much room? It obviously would have to be another ITX board with a fairly traditional layout. Nothing on any motherboard itself extends out more than half an inch. The biggest issue is making sure you find a decent way to get the hoses to fit and there are decent ways to route the cables.

Is there any company that offers a warranty that allows you to open their product and mess around inside it? Corsair is responsible for everything in there, so if someone adds some lovely RAM or a faulty GPU that ruins the PSU, you think Corsair should have to fix it? It's not a warranty for the individual components, it's for the entire system. I think it's pretty entitled to expect Corsair to allow people to open something and mess around with liquid cooling systems and other components without voiding the warranty.

Take any laptop and replace the processor with a different processor. Would you expect the warranty to cover that. There's so much that can go wrong, improper thermal paste application, damaging coolers through over tightening. Normally if you build a system yourself each component is warranted by the manufacturer, but if you put it together wrong stiff poo poo. In this case Corsair is guaranteeing everything is put together correctly, so of course they're not going to be fine with random goons changing things themselves.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
Amazing that we're on the second generation of mobos with 3.1 Gen 2 front panel connectors, but cases for this are rare as hens teeth

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Keelbone posted:

Thanks! :) Is getting an extra cooler required or will the builtin fan be okay if I'm not overclocking right now?

stock cooler should be fine forever since you're not getting a k chip, and can't overclick

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
Has there been any improvement in m2 wifi cards since intels 7265 in 2014, or are sff builds condemned to second class wifi forever more?

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Olivil posted:

what's wrong with buying a motherboard with integrated wifi?

That's what I'm doing at the moment, Killer 1535 (or 1435 not 100% sure) from 2014 in my Z270i Strix from 2017. I'm just wondering if this is something I can upgrade, and why it's so old.

Edit: It seems like intel is releasing the 9260 which can get 1.73 Gbps on 160 MHz (whatever that means) sometime this year.

Salted_Pork fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 5, 2017

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

garfield hentai posted:

I don't necessarily need a tiny portable thing, but is there a pretty good Micro ATX case that would fit a non SFF 1080ti, have adequate cooling and that would look good and fit in these shelves? I like my core v21 but it's too tall to go in there nicely.

Core G3 would, but it's full atx

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
I can only get my i7 8700k up to 4.5 GHz, under a Noctua D9l, in a Thermaltake Core v1. This is at about 1.3v and if I push it any higher the temperature goes above 90. I'm using a z370i Strix, and I'm wondering if anyone here with a similar setup has achieved better results than I. I'm having a lot of trouble with voltage, or doesn't seem to be sticking to the adaptive or offset limits I'm setting.

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

Mooktastical posted:

Are you on the most up-to-date BIOS version?

Probs not, looking at the ASUS website I'm surprised there are so many BIOS versions after only 4 months. I thought it was something you could go your life without updating, but I guess Meltdown changed that. Do you think it will make a big difference though?

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011
The Corsair 250D has been discontinued. Is it likely they're releasing an update? I'm a big fan of cube cases, and would like something a bit nicer than my Core v1

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

knox_harrington posted:

I like the idea of an eGPU to plug a laptop into but checking them out they seem to be the same size as an ITX system at the moment? They're a lot bigger than I was expecting.

https://www.scan.co.uk/shop/computer-hardware/gpu-nvidia/external-graphics-card-enclosures

There's a brand that makes something called the puck, which uses an mxm gpu, and is much smaller than normal egpus, but considering the gpu is about half the size of a dancase any normal sized egpu is going to be about half that. I'm surprised there are no 17 cm gpu egpus, since thunderbolt connection is the limiting factor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salted_Pork
Jun 19, 2011

ilkhan posted:

What Beverly Cleavage said.

Its just Asus that can't get their poo poo together and release their ITX/DTX boards.

Asus' DTX board seems like a waste of time, since it doesn't actually have a second pcie slot