Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
If you don't need or want the Node 202 form factor and don't mind spending $200+ on a case, Sliger SM560/Ncase M1/Ghost S1/etc. are going to perform better liter for liter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

I've looked into this some more and the RVZ01-E (same internals as the RVZ03) seems to indeed be my best option. Putting a build together in this case, it seems there's two ways to do CPU cooling:

1. Use a (relatively) high CPU cooler, the Noctua NH-L12S, and leave the case fan slot above the CPU empty
2. Use a (slightly) smaller CPU cooler, the Noctua NH-L9x65, and also put a 120mm Noctua fan in the case fan slot above the CPU

I'm wondering if there would be a meaningful difference in CPU temps between these two setups? I'm leaning towards the second variant, since that cooler would put no restrictions on RAM height but I am a bit concerned about thermals. The CPU in question would be a 3700X.

https://www.chiphell.com/portal.php?mod=view&aid=22232&page=35

The NH-L9x65 is pretty anemic for the height, I feel like you have to sacrifice ram compatibility to run a 3700x. As for the actual question, you're on your own :v: Couldn't find anyone who has actually tested both setups but my gut feeling says bigger cooler and peg one of the intake fans to cpu or cpu/gpu temps for airflow. Although I think you can fit an AIO in there which is probably the best option?

Also, if you're going to have the case horizontally, it's probably worth picking up bigger case feet. Dunno about RVZ01, but Node 202 ships with tiny 5-6mm ones which choke the intake fans.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Worst case you can always lower the tdp limit on the cpu and it should undervolt itself gracefully.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Beverly Cleavage posted:

I think I'm transparent enough in that I'm still kind of figuring this whole quiet itx pc thing out...

I'll turn on DOCP to get the most out of my ram (and maybe try to bump up to 3600 from 3200), but I haven't actually gotten so far as to try and tune fan curves for both cpu and GPU... What's the go to for stuff like that these days? I think I've seen MSI afterburner for GPU. can you set the fan curves in bios for cpu and/or chassis?

Depends on your motherboard, some let you set fan curves but it's usually pretty limited. For software, Argus Monitor is good but also pretty much the only option since SpeedFan hasn't been maintained for years now.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Beverly Cleavage posted:

Thanks. I know for awhile there were concerns about how monitor programs were pulling data and causing core voltage to not drop. Was that ever a problem with Argus? Didn’t see much beyond the support for zen2 mentioned in version history.

I have the sf600, must be gold though, no braided cables. But I might poach from my big tower which does.

Should be fine once you update the bios and chipset drivers, they made the boost algorithm less trigger happy. I'm on a 2600 though, so might be worth asking around in the AMD thread.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Yeah, either use an adapter and run the fans off of the gpu header or leave the fans plugged into the chassis fan headers and use software fan control to pin the speed to gpu temps (or some combination of gpu or cpu temps, you can get pretty fancy).

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
The 1600 AF comes with a Stealth and not a Spire cooler, which has less clearance. Those ram sticks should probably be fine, but I had some with some flares on the heatsinks and accidentally popped the closest heatsink off when putting together my system. Also, having only M.2 drives makes building in sff cases way less of a pain, 2.5" and sata cables are the devil.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Used to be that SFX psus were noisier and had few modular options but I feel like Corsair basically killed off SFX-L with their SF series being so good.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
I have a Corsair SF450 powering a 2600 + 1070ti system with no issues.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Sigmund Fraud posted:

How well would a passively cooled graphics card fare when there is no fan to push cool air into the case?

Poorly. From what I've seen, passive cases just don't make much sense over a noise dampened case with low rpm fans once you're putting out more than a very modest amount of wattage.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

HalloKitty posted:

Yeah, that's the main issue with the node 202. I really like it, though.

I've made a real effort in mine to remove restrictions - no 2.5" drive cage, very neat cable routing and so on. Some decent intakes with good static pressure like the Noctua A12x25s as I have then can ram the air over the gpu (which I've totally removed the shroud and fans from) and through the gaps and out the top by the CPU (I have it standing upright, the only way a node 202 can really be used)

I'm running it horizontal with a 2600 and 1070ti. Had to get 1cm rubber feet so the A12x25s don't get choked, swapped the gpu cooler for just the Arctic Accelero radiator and the temps are managable but having to dump the hit air from the gpu into the cpu chamber isn't great. Reversing the direction of the gpu so that it exhausts out the top like Sliger's upcoming console case would probably help a ton.

Arzachel fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Mar 20, 2020

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Since you're running extra intakes on the bottom, have you tried raising the case slightly, and see if that helps with temperatures? The only other option besides a larger case would be undervolting both the CPU and GPU.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
The official cpu cooler height limit is 155mm, but apparently NH-U12A fits (158mm).

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
If you have a dust filter for the bottom fans, try running them as intakes instead. Might slightly increase the temps but will make sure that the filters actually collect all the cat floof.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

You don't want to run the fans as intake in that case unless you're running your heatsinks fanless because you end up pushing against the exhaust airflow from both the CPU and the gpu. I believe its been tested to be at least several degrees warmer and when you're so limited by CPU cooler height restrictions, that can be pretty rough.

I'm in a similar spot with the Node 202 where running case fans as intakes dumps hot air from the gpu into the cpu chamber but it does let the filter catch all the cat hair.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
Yeah, that list is wild.

You should shop around for a case you want to build around first. It's hard to give generic advice when something like the NR200 is near twice the volume as some of the smaller cases.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Happy_Misanthrope posted:

Someday, somehow, there will be a video review of the NR200 that actually shows what the gently caress it looks like with sata drives installed - people still use these things folks

If you're nerd enough to build a sff system, you're nerd enough to run a nas :colbert:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Whens Node 202 refresh

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

garfield hentai posted:

One more related question - it looks like the recommended PSU for the 3080 is a 750w and I have the Corsair SF600. Any recommendations for an appropriate SFF PSU? PCPP isn't showing anything at all when filtering 750w+ and MiniITX although I know they exist, and while the SF750 seems like the most straightforward choice since it's just a higher wattage version of what I have it's $300 on Newegg which seems like an awful lot for a PSU.

Unless you're also running an overclocked 10900k, your 600W PSU will be perfectly fine for a 3080.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Should I consider replacing my Node 202 if I'm getting the RTX 3080 Founders Edition, due to the funky airflow design of the card? Or will there not be any real concern wrt GPU or case heat versus a traditional multi-fan design?

Or should I get a non-FE 3080 from the usual third-party suspects?

One of the fans will exaust against the plastic top cover which probably isn't optimal, but I think the more pressing issue is putting a 300+W GPU into a case known for poor thermals.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Romes128 posted:

Gpu thermals are fine if you have two fans in there.

Cpu thermals were poo poo no matter what.

I'm using that case right now and am significantly less optimistic.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

This eases my mind about the EVGA SuperNOVA 650 GM I have in my build right now. I was fairly confident it would be okay, but it's good to see some real-world data.

Thinking of upgrading my i5-7600 build to a Ryzen 7 3700X in the near future. Does anyone have any experience and/or opinions between these two B550 motherboards? The only difference I can see is that the Gigabyte is $50 US more than the ASRock, and the ASRock has an embarrassingly short memory QVL.

ASRock B550M-ITX/ac
Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/asus-b550i-strix.13522/post-205305

You get what you pay for in this case, the vrms on the Asrock board will probably be fine with a 3700X, if a little toasty, but the layout and only one M.2 slot kinda sucks.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Preliminary results with one case fan blowing in at the blowthrough (?) fan and the other blowing out, playing RDR 2 for a sustained half hour or so

The fans got awful loud, definitely a bit louder than the EVGA 2080 I had. The entire Node 202 case gets warm to the touch now too. Oh dear :v:

eta: looks like it's peaking at 82°C after more gaming

That's honestly better than I expected even with the fans running at max rpms. I think running both case fans as intakes might be better so you don't choke the GPU fans but it's hard to say.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

Gonna make a post talking through my motherboard thought process because I am dumb and often wrong about poo poo and would love to have the ways in which I am wrong pointed out to me so I can make a better decision.

First pass criteria: AMD, capable of supporting Zen3 in a week, WIFI integrated, and a USB C header for my case port.

Put another way, I’m looking at B550 boards because for whatever reason USB-C+ ITX + X570 isn’t a thing.

The Gigabyte B550 is the best regarded, but lacks the USB C header so it’s out.

The MSI 550i seems to have a poor reputation? I can’t really find anyone that actually recommended this board, and people have noted some really questionable layout choices.

The ASRock Phantom Gaming Board appears to have the best performance, but runs kind of hot. It has the fastest USB as well, etc. it’d be the easy pick, BUT... no Bios flashback button is a potential dealbreaker if I do go with a new AMD CPU in a week. I don’t have another CPU I can just throw in there to do a bios upgrade ahead of time if needed. Or am I being a big dummy and inventing a concern that isn’t real?

That leaves ASUS Strix board, about which I can’t find anyone saying much bad, but also, can’t find anyone saying much positive, and also it costs a lot more than the PG board.

So, I guess my plan is grab the ASRock if I buy a current gen CPU, and the Strix if I buy something that gets released in a week?

What horrible misstatements of facts have I committed here?

Posted this a while back: https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/asus-b550i-strix.13522/page-4#post-205305

Also, similar reddit thread: https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/grusq0/compiled_b550_itx_motherboard_information/

Strix is kinda underwhelming while also the most expensive, so I'd probably go with MSI if you do need flashback.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Aww man, I also currently have a Node 202 and am considering a 3700X to upgrade, and the NH-L9a is my current cooler choice :( Would sticking an intake fan onto the CPU vent help, as some build guides/videos I've seen seem to suggest?

Some guy replaced the CPU vent filter with a 140mm Noctua fan but it looked like it was holding on just the rubbery tabs through the vent mesh which might be a bit flimsy. Alternatively, there's a 3d printable duct model available for the NH-L9a so it gets fresh air instead of recycling GPU exhaust.

Fwiw, I also got a LS-60 and replaced the fan with a low profile Noctua 120mm.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

VorpalFish posted:

The corsair sf platinum variants are apparently very quiet. Just impossible to buy a lot of the time.

From what I remember, even the gold units are quieter than most SFX-L PSUs.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Yeah, I pasted my post there too, and I was also told it was a classic case of CPU bottlenecking. They were also worried about my ~80° peak temps on the GPU and CPU :haw:

... Hopefully those temps are kind of okay for a Node 202 :ohdear:

Yeah, those temps are perfectly fine. You can try undervolting the GPU a tad, if you haven't already.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Played a couple hours of RDR2 yesterday, and CPU temps peaked at 94° :gonk: I've decided to go with the ID COOLING IS-60 + Noctua NF-A12×15 PWM for my next build in this case.

Looking at the specs for the IS-60, it claims to work for CPUs with a TDP up to 130 W. Given the Node 202 I'm working with, though, I'm guessing I should still stick to a 65 W TDP CPU if I'm not changing the case, right? I should not be looking at the Ryzen 7 5800X (105 W TDP) if I just have to have 8c/16t, right? :sweatdrop:

I don't suppose anyone has a crystal ball and can tell me if there will eventually be a Zen 3 8c/16t CPU with a 65 W TDP?
:negative:

5700x and 5600 non-x coming out March next year just in time to rain on Rocket Lake's parade would be a surprise to no one but there's no official word. You can manually limit the TDP through bios though.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Warmachine posted:

And my ATX/EPS could be charitably described as "idk stuff it between the PSU and RAM?"

That's clearly masterful cable management :colbert:

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Jeff Fatwood posted:

Unlike the SG14 I like that the NR200 has a white version but holy crap does it annoy me that they thought it was a good idea to do SFX brackets by default especially during a global PSU shortage. At least there's going to be an official ATX bracket...

...mid 2021 :shepface:

They're trying to protect you from yourself

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Actually using the drive cage smh :v:

Glad to hear it worked out, how are the CPU temps after upgrading?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

horchata posted:

Is anyone else here running a 5800x? It's fine on idle but it gets super toasty when doing gaming (like 80c+) and it's getting me worried.

Using a scythe fuma 2 on an NR200

The default power limit is stupid on the 5800x, you can reduce the ppt a bunch with barely any performance difference and it'll run much cooler.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

70C+ while gaming is fine but 50C idle sounds a bit high. Might be worth a re-seat?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

denereal visease posted:

That's the coveted Tuf 3080 OC, for which I am learning there is currently no way to set custom fan curves for :)

Tried https://github.com/Rem0o/FanControl.Releases or Argus Monitor?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Finally moved my build into the Sliger CL530. I took a bunch of photos with the intent to write up a build log/guide, which I'll try to do later. Some random thoughts:

• This case is a lot easier to build in than the Node 202
  • Cable management is also easier
  • The case sounds quieter. Not sure if it's because everything runs cooler or if the open vents on both sides reduces the reverberation chamber effect vs. the Node 202
  • The carrying handle is a godsend for moving it behind a TV in an alcove above hip level
  • The way the side panel comes off is incredibly convenient
  • The base plate is probably not really necessary for this case, but I still like it for some reason
  • The hardware kit comes with at least 200% more screws than you can actually use for any reason in this case; why? :shrug:

Here's how it all looks inside now (after I initially thought I didn't have long enough screws to replace the 15mm-thick CPU fan with a 25mm one, until I read that my CPU cooler did in fact come with such screws, and I also used hex head screws to mount the SATA SSD before I found the flat countersunk screws you were supposed to use :v:)

Nice build! I'm tempted to make the same upgrade from my Node 202 once I can get a 3080 for a sane amount of money over here. Wonder if you can mount a deshrouded 2x slot GPU with 25mm fans strapped to it while still fitting the bottom 15mm fans.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

LODGE NORTH posted:

Out of all of these, the CL530 and NR200P are my favorites, style-wise. I'm not necessarily bound to either one, but they are definitely my top choices if I had to pick.

There's also the CL520 that's even smaller but will limit CPU cooler height and GPU size. Both the CL520 and CL530 are about twice the price of the NR200 though.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

obi_ant posted:

Is there a steep increase in difficulty when building a SFFPC compared to a 'normal' sized one. The smallest computer I've built was in a Corsair Obsidian 250D. I've been looking at a lot of SFFPCs and it seems to be a good idea to purchase custom cables so I don't need to deal with too much cable management.

You don't even *need* the individually sleeved cables you get on Corsair's platinum SF PSUs for most cases, never mind custom cables.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

obi_ant posted:

Can you clarify this? Does this mean that the Corsair’s cables are short enough for most cases?

Both Corsair and Silverstone bundle shorter cables with their SFX PSUs. On top of that, Corsair's platinum rated PSUs come with mesh sleeved cables which are easier to bend and route. Cases made in the last decade are designed with PSU compatibility in mind so custom cables are rarely necessary.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Caveat: the ASRock Phantom Gaming has those 90°-turned SATA ports, which can ruin your day if you have SATA drives in your build like me. The best solution is of course to just have M.2

It also doesn't have bios flashback which is probably the bigger issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

LordAdakos posted:

Does anyone have recommendations for a white itx case with a window? Working on putting together a wish list for my girlfriends first new build in something like 8 years and she is looking at a particular color scheme that involves a lot of white and clean lines.

NR200p, NZXT H1 or one of Sliger's SM series cases come to mind.