Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

New to the SFF fandom: looking for feedback as I downsize my existing system (components marked $0) and try to plan for future compatibility with upcoming Nvidia/AMD releases. Targeting 1440p/144hz gaming and daily driver tasks (browsing, streaming, etc).

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($0.00)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U9S 46.44 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.95 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-I Gaming Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard ($249.99)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($0.00)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($169.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB SC2 Video Card ($0.00)
Case: NCASE M1 Mini ITX Tower Case ($210.00)
Power Supply: Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($149.99)
Case Fan: Corsair ML120 Pro 75 CFM 120 mm Fan ($27.99 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: Corsair ML120 Pro 75 CFM 120 mm Fan ($27.99 @ Corsair)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A9 PWM chromax.Black.swap 46.44 CFM 92 mm Fan ($19.90)
Case Fan: Noctua NF-A9 PWM chromax.Black.swap 46.44 CFM 92 mm Fan ($19.90)
Total: $935.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-14 21:03 EDT-0400

How often does the Ncase M1 go into production? Trying to figure out if I should grab one now or sit tight til later in the year when there's more info on upcoming Nvidia/AMD components.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

A large preorder window just opened for the FormD T1. They've been doing weekly drops for the last month or so, but they routinely sell out in minutes or less.

Obligatory Optimum Tech video for those unfamiliar it; the producer is one of the guys who developed the NCase M1.

Stoked for my first SFF build and possibly my first custom loop :sweatdrop:

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

That Asus B550-I only has 3 USB ports (enough for keyboard, mouse, headset/speakers) on the rear IO, but for $20-30 more you could get 7 USB ports on their Strix X570-I board; the B550-I board makes no sense to me.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Front panel USB-C support is like the one box that the Strix B550-I checks vs the X570-I, but I never use front panel USB so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Similarly but much stupider, HardwareCanucks put a 3950X and a 3090 in a 7L Sentry 2.0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jppzfO6I6M

And they decided to cool the 3950X with an NH-L9A :pwn:

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Looks like somebody was able to cleanly deshroud an MSI 3080 Ventus and put it in an M1, but they got kinda of lovely results.

Also found what is allegedly a deshrouded 3080 TUF in an M1, but there's no data associated with it.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Butterfly Valley posted:

advice for cooling in my nr200p build
Depending on how much time you have, it looks like this dude has tested the NR200 pretty exhaustively. No idea who he is or why he's so horny for the NR200, but there ya go.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Found a deshrouded TUF 3080 in an M1; OP says that thermals didn't change much but noise levels were improved. Very interesting, planning on doing something like this.

teagone posted:

Would be cool if Fractal made a Meshify ITX case.
They did, it's 32L

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

ijyt posted:

SFF people, how do you handle multiple fans on an ITX board? The X570-I from ASUS has 3 headers (CPU, Pump, Chassis). I'm gonna go google this but is there anything BIOS related that might affect the pump header like having it run at 100% RPM, or is it just labeling and they're all the same.
I have that board and will be moving it into an M1 later this week.

My plan is...
    CPU_FAN: Daisy-chaining two Y-Splitters to NF F-12 + 2xNF A-12x15s
    CHA_FAN: Y-Splitter to bottom fans
    AIO_PUMP: NF-A9, possibly with LNA if it's too loud running at 100%

I'm on BIOS v1407, there is no setting to run that AIO_PUMP header at anything but 100%. Also, there are no controls for the chipset fan if you care about that. BIOS v2606 lists "Improve Fan control function" as a feature, but when I lazily googled it last week I didn't see any mentions of getting to set a fan curve for the AIO_PUMP header or the chipset.

e: can't recall if it's Total Amperage or Total Wattage at the header has to be greater than the sum of current/power for all the fans on that header

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Oct 14, 2020

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Really digging the goon SFF build pics lately!

ITX boards in mid/fullsize cases is cool aesthetic, especially when the CPU cooler is almost as large as the motherboard...

ITX cases in mid/fullsize cases are even cooler...

Pretty standard aircooled 3700X/1080TI system with two NF A-14s in the bottom until 3080's are available and Ryzen 5000 reviews come out...

Second build, first ITX build: probably seated and reseated the motherboard 5+ times to get cables managed as desired. Thermals were concerning at set up, I was seeing the X570 chipset and rear M.2 drive approach then pass 80C when gaming. I undervolted my GPU to 1936 MHz at 935 mV to bring temps come down a few degrees, but probably need to push that harder. Looking into replacing the thermal pad on the chipset but not thrilled about almost completely disassembling the system to do that.

Has anyone ITT put a heatsink on the rear M.2 drive in an M1? If so, which heatsink and what thickness of thermal pad was used?

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Really glad that I cancelled my T1 preorder and got an M1 instead tbh, especially after seeing power numbers for the RTX3000 series.

The T1 is a very aesthetically pleasing case for sure and I really wanted to make the space grey case work for me. I couldn't come up with any air-cooling solutions that seemed appropriate for the magnitude of the hardware I wanted to put into it though :(

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Optimum Tech tried to watercool a 5950X & a 3090 in the T1...

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

CopperHound posted:

How much power consumption does that build work out to and what would be a more reasonable target for that setup?

It was still ~385W after GPU undervolting, all getting cooled by a slim 240 radiator with slim fans. I'm not super familiar with water cooling, but I think that radiator might have been decent for the CPU alone. Seemed like he had some weird BIOS/AGESA poo poo going with Cinebench though.

Hardware Canucks put a 5900X and an RTX3080 on air in a 10L ATX case recently.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

I understand that the M1 doesn't have a lot of room for cable management but that is nearly criminal...

24pin is the biggest pain the rear end and I still need to gently caress with it more to eliminate panel bulging. I used the PSU's included zip ties to make "anti-combs" to keep cables bundled together and more manageable. A lot of the excess cabling is hidden in front the GPU, fans, and front panel.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

ijyt posted:

So after a bunch of horror stories about the Strix X570-I with impossible to remove NVMe screws and missing thermal pads, I went and stripped mine to check it, and it's all good. Loctite blue on screws where it should be, and thermal pad on the chipset. Really love how compact this board is and how its been put together.
Any pro tips for dealing with the ribbon cable on the daughter board? I'm considering replacing the chipset thermal pad on my Strix x570-I's chipset since I routinely hit 75*C in gaming workloads and it takes forever for the chipset to cool back down.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Yeah, it's a weird situation where that dude's youtube channel seems to exist solely to produce NR200 content.

Glad that everybody is getting value from those :)

denereal visease posted:

Depending on how much time you have, it looks like this dude has tested the NR200 pretty exhaustively. No idea who he is or why he's so horny for the NR200, but there ya go.

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Nov 24, 2020

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Cross-posting my 5800X temps from the AMD thread...

denereal visease posted:

I've done "an amount" of testing myself and I suspect there may be a sweet spot between 120 and 130W for PPT for balancing temperatures, performance, and average clock speed...

Didn't grab TimeSpy CPU Test data since I encountered an issue where my system wouldn't return to the pre-test baseline temperature without a reboot & I was out of hobby time for the weekend :shrug:

I want to do some testing with the NF-A9 as intake as well...

e:
NCase M1 at 72F (22.2C) ambient
Asus Strix X570-I
2x8 GB G Skill 3800 C14
NH-C14S with NF-A12 Chromax & 2x NF-A12x15 Chromax (exhaust) @ 80%
NF-A9 chtomax (exahust) @ 80%
2x NF-A14 Chromax @ 20%
EVGA 1080 Ti SC2 (fans locked at 10%)
Corsair SF750 Platinum (in SFF PSU position)

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Dec 3, 2020

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Rhaka posted:

Cursed build. At least I managed to get an order for a NR200P in from Overclockers this morning.
That's a bummer, the T1 is such a cool case but they've really had a hill to climb this year with production and distribution.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

very clean :golfclap:

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

IIRC the Corsair SF600 Gold is 125 U$D msrp and the SF600 Platinum is 145 U$D msrp.

The extra $20 lands you a better efficiency rating and individually sleeved cables which is well worth the surcharge imho.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Anyone else itt with the Strix X570-I try the v3001 BIOS yet?

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

denereal visease posted:

This didn't solve my issues with random reboots (need to send Asus a support ticket) but it did provide access to the Curve Optimizer :)

e: looks like it removed the cap on the fan curve that forces 100% PWM signal above 86.5*C

Head Bee Guy posted:

Any thoughts on the Louqe Ghost S1?
+1 to the M1, I think that the NCase is going to be your best option if you want 3x2.5" SSDs and a 3.5" drive in a small form factor case. Really happy with it as a first SFF case.

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 17, 2020

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

denereal visease posted:

denereal visease posted:

This didn't solve my issues with random reboots
This BIOS has actually made the issue worse over the past 24 hours and I'm getting rebooted every ~30mins so far today. I do not recommend this BIOS to anyone else with this board.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

PSA:

M1 + SF750 + 3080 = will not close, might be more doable with an SF600 since it doesn't have daisy chain pcie power cables

Lucky gently caress problems... 180° adapters on order...

Still working on tuning but the "new" build I started in July is done :unsmith:

FuzzySlippers posted:

It idles around 50c and pretty quickly jumps to 70c+ while gaming.
70°C under load is absolutely fine. You probably can't drop your idle temperatures unless you want to alter your fan curve, try repasting the CPU, or get a new cooler.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

That's the coveted Tuf 3080 OC, for which I am learning there is currently no way to set custom fan curves for :)

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Good suggestions, but I was hoping to have the GPU drive the fans directly.

The card is much, much quieter now that it's working correctly, so I'm less interested in setting a custom fan curve now :)

Warmachine posted:

Y'know, seeing that I'm glad the FE had that dumb angled 12-pin power connector.

jink posted:

This is the first time I think of that dumbass proprietary cable and go "yeah that makes a lot of sense!" :D
The pcie power boners definitely look real dumb, but the 24pin is actually a minor problem: it's obstructing a fair amount of the 'pass through' portion of the cooler.

Coredump posted:

At this rate computers will be gpus with a cpu, ram, mobo module you add to them.

Zero VGS posted:

To be sure, there exists no CPU cooler at 37mm or shorter than can in any way compete with the Noctua L9I, correct?
Have you checked out the Alpenföhn Black Ridge 2? That might be the only other option. nope 47mm

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

What style of case are you thinking?
  • Console style: Sliger Conswole CL530, Silverstone RVZ03
  • Other - Horizontal: NR200P, NCase M1
  • Other - Vertical: NZXT H1, SSUPD Meshlicious (should be out soon), FormD P1 (release TBD)
Case choice makes a lot of decisions for you in an SFF build.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

LODGE NORTH posted:

Out of all of these, the CL530 and NR200P are my favorites, style-wise. I'm not necessarily bound to either one, but they are definitely my top choices if I had to pick.
Those are very different styles (Console vs Horizontal) and sizes of case (10.9L vs 18.3L) fwiw. There's also Flat Horizontal cases like a Silverstone SG13, Sandwich Style cases like the Dan A4 or FormD T1 that get below 10L, and even smaller stuff like the Velkase Velka 3 gets under 5L. Maybe flip through Optimum Tech's case content playlist to get some ideas of what all is out there.

I'm sure other posters could come up with more suggestions if you had a better idea of what kind of case, how small, what parts, etc.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

SourKraut posted:

Is anyone here running a SF750 with any of EVGA's 3080or 3090 cards that require the three 8-pin connections? I've been seen conflicting info about whether it's ok or not, with some sites saying it is, and others saying they don't recommend it.

I was hoping to step up to either the 3080 or a future 3080 Ti, but now I'm nervous about the safety of using three connectors.
Three PCIE power cables should be fine. The people reporting problems are using two cables (with one daisy-chained) to make three connections.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

HWiNFO64 can give you "real time" info on how much wattage is being drawn by the CPU/GPU

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

You'd probably be ok with a NH-U9S chromax; I put one on my partner's 3700X and it's doing fine. The NH-C14S is the biggest air cooler you can fit in the M1 afaik and that's sufficient for my 5800X; it's probably overkill for a 3600X but you could spin the CPU_FAN slower if sound is a concern.

Try to look up some M1 builds using the GPU you're after to make sure you don't have clearance issues with the front I/O leads.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

obi_ant posted:

Is there a steep increase in difficulty when building a SFFPC compared to a 'normal' sized one.
Not really, but it's very case specific. Depending on which case and what you want to put in it, the order of operations could become important. Something like my NCase M1 has a different build process than a case with a more standard layout like the NZXT H210.

Sphyre posted:

impulse bought a set of cables from pslatecustoms :homebrew:
Trying real hard not to, but I don't love the SF750's cable bulk hanging out above the 3080's pass-through cooler. Talking myself down to a sleeved 24-pin and unsleeved PCIE power cables but it's still spenno.

Another one because the lighting was good...

need more build pics itt

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Feb 2, 2021

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

The full list is here, but there are plenty of extra niceties: low-pro wifi antennas, spendy thermal pads, rear M.2 heatsink, etc. I replaced the chipset thermal pad on the X570, then went nuts and replaced both M.2 thermal pads as well (huge temp drops on both SSDs). Not everything on the list is a Hivemind Sweet Spot Cost Optimized Best-in-Slot choice if that matters to you (doesn't matter to me).

The 120mm NF-F12 is under the heatsink exhausting air out of the case with the 2x NF-A12x15s; these are running off two daisy-chained y-splitters. The rear 92mm fan is an intake with a long stepdown period (25 sec); I'm getting better temps with intake vs exhaust.

Let me know if you have any other questions. CPU averages just under 80*C and the GPU hangs out around mid-60s in extended Cyberpunk 2077 gameplay at 1440p Ultra+RT Psycho; FPS is mid 60s to low 70s on average.

e: forgot these, you need 2 sets

denereal visease fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Feb 9, 2021

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

RE:budgets, I was patient enough to spread out my purchases over 4-6 months, upgrading incrementally, and got lucky to avoid scalpers/scarcity.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Looks pretty sweet to me
Cheers, it's a sick ride; looking forward to getting many good years out of it.

Did you notice any change in chipset temps?
Replacing the chipset thermal pad knocked like 6-8*C off peak chipset temps under gaming loads. Tearing down a motherboard for the first time was definitely engaging. If it's something you're considering, the bladed end of this tool was perfect for popping off the ribbon cable.

TheMadMilkman posted:

Here's where I currently am:
The U9S should be fine for the 3600, we have one on a 3700X and it's doing well; the C14S is more of a pain in the rear end to mount.

Fan config seems fine; I noticed that you listed an A9x14 but you can definitely fit the full size 25mm thick NF-A9 at the back of the case.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Zero VGS posted:

Introducing looooooong ITX:

6.6" x 20", just use a ribbon riser to wrap a GPU around to the other side of it and you have 128 cores in a few liters

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=ROME2D16HM3#Specifications
should've known this was ASRock from the thumbnail

cr0y posted:

New to the SFF scene but am looking to build a "console killer" gaming rig, its going to go in a media center hooked upto my TV so looking for something small/unassuming. I have to essentially build the system around the RTX 3080 that I managed to score, so with that being said what are some options for cases that will house these stupidly large video cards? (Ryzen build)

cr0y posted:

it's a PNY 3080, specs say it's 317mm long (and 60mm thick) .
Based on the info you provided, it looks like the NCase M1 (12.7L) is another option to consider. I'm not sure if you're going to be able to go much smaller than that (ie, into the sub-10L sandwich or console-look-alike territory) if you want to use that 3080.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Sphyre posted:

Here's my pslatecustoms before/after, featuring the most halfassed attempt to velcro tie an atx 24 pin cable you'll ever see:

Nice, I wish the unsleeved black cables looked as nice as the unsleeved clear cables.
Very clean!

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

I might do this on an x570 board destined for a streacom da2, a beautiful hotbox. That tool is useful thnx. I uh, have broken chipset fan cables before trying to remove them :doh:
late as gently caress but I remembered that for the Asus X570-I motherboard you also need a 4.5mm nut driver to remove the spacers in the daughter board stack, hope you get this message in time!

Warmachine posted:

I don't know if this dumb project has warped my sense of affordable, but $130 for some of those pslate cables is refreshingly cheap?
They're a little pricey IMO when you can get full sets of custom cable extensions for ~80U$D, but extensions ≠ full on replacements. Additionally, there's some upcharge for the ~*craftsmanship*~ of made-to-measure power cables. Is it $50? Maybe not imo, but I don't possess the skills to do it

That said, I also recently sent plsate $toomuch for cables and eagerly await them lmbo; probably doing a full rebuild of my M1 because I want to change how I routed the CPU 8pin cable #justSFFstuff

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

loving same

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

Sphyre posted:

got some small wifi antennas to replace the sharkfin antenna that came with my mobo
nice, i also have an asus mobo and really disliked that loving thing. i got some of these for our builds and they've been good, only lost a few %age points on DL speeds vs the eyesore antenna

Cygni posted:

Ali must be stopped. This is probably his best yet.

https://youtu.be/drJxRj3TipM
posted this in the youtube idiots thread but IMO they're the best overall content producer in the DIY PC space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

sounds like you're not ~* tHe TaRgEt MaRkEt *~