Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What case are you thinking of watercooling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'd try them and measure it.

But I'd try the front as exhaust as well. That could be good for GPU temps if the vented panel is next to it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What games in particular?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Nhd-15s in itx: off my bucket list.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

1660ti would be a nice upgrade.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Stickman posted:

The H200 only supports 120mm radiators - would that still be quieter than a double/triple fan card?

It supports a 240 in the front, and some 280s.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

D15s fits fine on the giga x570 itx, not that that's going to help in typical itx.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The build quality is amazing, it's ultimately flexible re: mounting components and fans. It can fit a fairly big GPU, I have a 2.5 slot card and it could go wider.

The ventilation is extremely poor at the sides, but you can remove the top and bottom filter and it's essentially open there.

I love mine.

But I'm using an inwin d-frame mini right now. It looks like a crashed 90s go kart, but it fits a Morpheus 2 / nhd15s, and they're both hanging in fresh air. So it's extremely quiet :q:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 19, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

If the aio is exhaust, could try the rear fan as intake. It'll be tight with a 280!

A small PSU helps, I used a sf600.

Have a think about how you can leverage it being pretty much open air at the top and bottom if you remove the filters too.

If the aio is mounted high up the side panel as exhaust, removing the top filter might help it intake. Worth a go.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 20, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Gay Retard posted:

It seems like the Corsair SFX Platinum PSUs are the go-to for most SFF builders.

I'm impressed with them. Cheap semi passive PSU, nice braided cables that are a good length for ITX, super small. I haven't heard the fan spin up in mine.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Oct 20, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Nice. The rail system owns, looks good in Silver too.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

big crush on Chad OMG posted:

Isn’t that the back but it’s just stood upright for the picture?

That's the top

Re: this note: >Some motherboards with integrated IO shields may be incompatible<

I can see this being a problem with a bunch of boards, such as (EG) the Gigabyte X570 ITX board.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That's going to be like a small toaster oven.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

That Lian case can be laid flat, I think.
Efb

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Nov 2, 2019

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I like the sliger cases. They're helpful by email, too.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Nhd 15 / Morpheus 2 itx club represent.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Supradog posted:

The individually sleeved cables on the sf600 helped.

They're like cheat mode in itx. A great PSU.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Beverly Cleavage posted:

The plug is different, but I'll look into it. some of what I saw people doing including soldering... I'm not quite at that level.

Have a look at GPU fan header adaptors. See if they match the connector type on your card.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

VulgarandStupid posted:

until my lovely cooler install warped my card

Oof. What happen?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

CopperHound posted:

One downside to passive cooling is that you will be keenly aware of any coil whine.

E: ahhh posting this made me notice a buzz coming from my light switch :suicide:

I have an open air passive case, no fan noise, around 350W, temps are great but .. coil whine is annoying.
Luckily overclocking my GPU removed coil whine.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I'm confused about a lot of choices made in this case. I imagine GN will have a few things to say (:q:)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Lungboy posted:

Fractal should have just updated the Core 500 by removing the optical drive support and re-doing the front of the case.

Yep.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

jink posted:

For real. I could be using a 2080ti instead of my 'old' 1080ti if I didn't have this open loop. The 9900k is hard to tame even WITH all of this loop so ... what is the point.

Fantastic build, I am loving all of the radical colors. Reminds me of those Hyper Color shirts from the 90s! :)

Is it direct die cooled?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

The Electronaut posted:

I'm running a direct die 9900k but with a Noctua D15.

Hnnng. Nice.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Mar 25, 2020

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Warmachine posted:

a music festival without the acid. :colbert:

The thought of this made me feel cold, unironically.

The cables are neat. I'd like to know more about making them too.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Gonna Send It posted:

Step 1: To start with, I cut the wire to a length I know that's longer then I need..........

This is awesome, and it looks great. I might have a go with a single cable to start.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

What case is it?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Be interesting to see if the Asus board can run ram that fast...

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

teagone posted:

Are fans on GPUs typically intake or exhaust? I'm going to install a 3-slot EVGA GTX 1660 Ti that has a single fan, and because of the thickness of the card's heatsink + fan shroud, I'm not sure if I'll be able to fit even slim 120mm fans on the bottom of the TU150. Also yeah, I ordered the silver TU150 from Newegg with the aluminum side panel for $113 after tax; not bad! Also ordered 2x 120mm Noctua P12 redux 1700 RPM fans for front intake and rear exhaust.

Intake.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

nerdrum posted:

Fitting a single loving sata drive into my Streacom DA2 with a 280mm radiator was one of the most irritating "why the gently caress did you even tell me I can do this" situations I've had building a system in probably the last 15 years.

Jfc I salute you (love my da2, and also myself, too much to attempt that)

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

NH-U9S on a 2700x in one system here. It runs fine but isn't really enough cooler. It'll be significantly better on a 3700x / 3600 etc

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Silverstone helpfully make a desktop length set of cables for their sff PSUs now, just in case anyone had problems fitting the nightjar sfxl PSUs in some cases. My itx case needed a desktop length mobo + pcie power cable, and that did the trick.

I wish Silverstone cables were as nice as corsairs though.

I'll take some photos of this weird rear end case when it's back from powder coating.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

denereal visease posted:

Not everything on the list is a Hivemind Sweet Spot Cost Optimized Best-in-Slot choice if that matters to you (doesn't matter to me).

Looks pretty sweet to me

Did you notice any change in chipset temps?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

denereal visease posted:

Replacing the chipset thermal pad knocked like 6-8*C off peak chipset temps under gaming loads. Tearing down a motherboard for the first time was definitely engaging. If it's something you're considering, the bladed end of this tool was perfect for popping off the ribbon cable.

I might do this on an x570 board destined for a streacom da2, a beautiful hotbox. That tool is useful thnx. I uh, have broken chipset fan cables before trying to remove them :doh:

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Why does the board have a cutout on the left? I see a slot there but. Why does it have that layout?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Actuarial Fables posted:

An OCP NIC 3.0 expansion card goes there. They're designed to be installed flat instead of the typical vertical stance of PCIe cards, which means you can support add-on cards w/o having to use a 2u form factor or get into weird PCIe risers.

Now I get it. Ty

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I wonder if GN ran that test again with Grizzly it'd behave the same. I've removed noctua coolers after using it and it hasn't squished much at all, applicator lines still visible, so high and low spots.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

CaptainPsyko posted:

Gigabyte B550 I if you don’t care about front USB C

It's the board I wanted, and was on discount too when I bought it.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

It's useful if you overclock and it won't boot to BIOS, as well. If you can't be bothered to go inside and jumper it. Eg it's a pain to do with an nhd15 on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

denereal visease posted:

it was truly just the mass of the NH-D15S keeping the CPU cool :pwn:

I built a 3700x in an open air case, and it was days until I noticed the cpu fans weren't plugged in. I was more worried about the vrms.