Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Finally started ordering stuff for my CPU upgrade :toot: The item I thought would take the longest to ship arrived today, the ID-COOLING IS-60 CPU cooler. Waiting on a Noctua NF-A12x15 to replace the stock cooler's and RAM currently, and will be taking a trip to a Microcenter in November to save like $65 over the online options for a 3700X + Gigabyte B550I Aorus Pro :supaburn:

Just one thing wïh the is-60, the mounting bracket isn't Noctua quality, you can't just screw all the way. It's a decent hsf otherwise though, best I could find in that height.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Oct 19, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I am now realizing that the fans I've been using to draw more air into the GPU chamber of my Node 202 are pressure-optimized for radiators and heatsinks, both the Fractal Design Venturi HP-12s and the Noctua NF-P12s I replaced them with :doh:

I'm wondering if I should try replacing them with an airflow-optimized model, like the thread-favorite Noctua NF-A12x25 or the even-quieter and airflowier NF-S12A

a12x25 are both pressure and airflow optimised, that's kind of their deal. For the enthusiast that wants it all (and doesn't mind the cost and colour)

The CPU cooler and fan are the ID-COOLING IS-60 with its stock fan replaced with a Noctua NF-A12x15, which was recommended to me by others in this very thread. Even quieter than the case fans somehow even under load, and the cooler height is just perfect to reach fresh air outside the case even with the filter installed.

I'm glad the is-60 + a12x15 worked out as well for you as it did me, it's basically peak hsf when it comes to an unmodified node 202

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Nov 9, 2020

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I don't understand these bolded words :(

Rarely Realistic Price

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

ijyt posted:

Oh yeah whoops, RRP is MSRP.

Manufacturer's Seldom Realistic Price? :)

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

FuzzySlippers posted:

So as far as CPUs, the conventional wisdom lately seems to favor AMD for price/performance but does that change at all when trying to consider cooling in a particularly squished SFF case? It seems like I see a lot more intel builds on the SFF reddit, but maybe that's just my random sampling. My usage is gonna be pretty moderate as I'd just stream from my desktop for anything intense. Probably my most intense cpu usage I'd rather do local would be Civ6.

No reason to favour Intel, AMD is ahead in power efficiency right now

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Sphyre posted:

New from FormD/Lian Li: the Meshlicious https://ssupd.com/products/meshlicious

Case looks nice, name is bad. Hell, might even pick one up depending on the optimum tech review

For the person that can't get enough of spilling drinks in to their system

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

B-Mac posted:

3070 is closer to 15-20% faster than the 3060 Ti, not sure where they were getting 5% from.

10-15% faster seems typical https://www.techpowerup.com/review/nvidia-geforce-rtx-3060-ti-founders-edition/35.html

Combined with the fact that the 3070 has the same amount of VRAM, and I personally see the 3070 as underwhelming in comparison

LODGE NORTH posted:

I could be totally wrong, but from what I was looking at, it seemed like an average of 20% better. With that, I was going off the mindset of making it last a little longer in the long run too - great now becoming okay versus really good now becoming barely passable in x amount of years.

I'm not really seeing how buying a 3070 instead of 3060 Ti will make your purchase last appreciably longer, I especially think the 8GB of VRAM will eventually make it run out of steam at just the same time as the 3060 Ti

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 14, 2021

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

The extra bit of clock speed and that 15% performance difference is not future proofing you in this specific either/or.

Yeah exactly, when $FutureGame is struggling, and hits 30 FPS on the 3060 Ti, a whopping 34.5 FPS on a 3070 is not going to change the experience

Edit: not to put a dampener on things, the 3070 is a thoroughly decent card, I'm just trying to point out the folly in choosing it over the 3060 Ti because of 'future headroom'

vvv Double edit: Ah, but the 3080 has way VRAM as well as having way more brute force power, but you still don't buy it to future proof, you buy it because you genuinely can push better experiences today with it, if you're willing to spend the cash

Triple edit: although none of it matters because it's all based on the originally advertised prices, and we all know what the situation is now

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 14, 2021

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Zero VGS posted:

Introducing looooooong ITX:

6.6" x 20", just use a ribbon riser to wrap a GPU around to the other side of it and you have 128 cores in a few liters

https://www.asrockrack.com/general/productdetail.asp?Model=ROME2D16HM3#Specifications

It looks like the inside of a blade server

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

wafflemoose posted:

As a side project, I've been souping up this SSF Dell Optiplex 7010. Originally this was just going to be a work computer but then I realized the old i5 3470 I had laying around was compatible, and things kinda spiraled after that. 12GB of RAM, swapping out the DVD drive for a second ssd and a GTX1050 Ti later I had a SSF gaming machine. My plans with the machine aren't over yet though since I eventually want to put an i7 and max out the ram in the machine. It's nice to have a computer that I can play games on while working from home without have to alt-tab out of games all the time.

The monitor I found just sitting in the trash. Who throws away a perfectly good monitor? Who cares if it's only 1440x900 resolution?

The only working LCDs I'd throw out would be very old but cheap and nasty ones with ghosting and poo poo viewing angles. The ones I'm thinking of could possibly have been passive matrix.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Z the IVth posted:

Am just about to start building my own NR200. I've heard a lot about these positive/negative pressure setups, are there any good explainers available for them or is it a matter of more intake vs more exhaust?

How does a PP setup reduce dust? Won't the dust is be sucked in?

As the other post says, positive pressure = more in than out, if you filter your intake fans, only clean air is getting in the case
negative pressure = more out than in - dust is going to be sucked through every last random crevice and opening in the case, around your USB ports etc.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Cicero posted:

Are there any recommendations here on basic Zen 2/3 NUC's?

I just bought a couple DDR arcade cabinet pads, so I need a machine that can run Stepmania (an open source DDR clone) and maybe Drummania; both rhythm games that are graphically very undemanding, at least going by looks.

For the moment I can use a laptop, but I'd like something more permanent in the long run, and a NUC seems like it'd go well with one of the rolling stands I'm planning on getting for the TV for the setup (they usually have a small little platform halfway up for a laptop or similar).

Stepmania will run anything. If that's literally all it's for, pick up a used usff dell optiplex, micro usff even.

That said, Windows 11 fucks everything up with regards to official support for older machines, if you give a poo poo

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Xerophyte posted:

Final budget is not really a concern, I just don't want to spend money on hardware that doesn't help my use case. I prefer avoiding used/refurbished products, I've had enough trouble with that sort of thing. I'm in Europe, as mentioned, specifically Sweden but shipping within the EU is not generally a problem.

Getting an i3 or better ups the price to around €500. That's fine as far as my personal budget is concerned, but I'm skeptical as to if it has value since all I'm really looking for is a box with DisplayPort output that'll play back compressed 4K video files from a NAS without dying. Do I need more than a cheap-rear end Celeron with minimal storage, given what I intend to use it for?

I think you underestimate how much power is needed to play 4k video, but as long as you're certain the gpu can hardware decode the video you want to play, you're in the clear

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

are there any SFF chassis that allow a lot of 3.5" internal storage? do like a fractal 7 mini chassis but with a "storage layout", where you just stack in 3.5" drive trays on a rail in the front and have the intake fans blow over them.

Cerberus X actually has pretty good capacity if you just fill it with drive trays, but, they don't explicitly say a capacity. But that's more or less what I'm talking about, an "ATX style" layout with a bunch of drive trays in it.

or are there any alternatives to U-NAS 800/400 series yet, that scratch that QNAP/Synology itch for hotswap miniservers? Other than the tragically-:downs: Silverstone DS380 or whatever, that is?

I was going to suggest the Silverstone DS380 until I got to the last part of your post. I have two of them, and think they're pretty neat. It's really ridiculous how few choices there are.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Moey posted:

Did you have to do some fancy/makeshift shroud work to get good airflow over your drives? I remember reading about all this fun a while back.

https://blog.briancmoses.com/2017/04/creating-a-cooling-duct-for-the-silverstone-ds380.html

It was something I was aware of before I bought the case, but I feel the problem is a bit overblown depending on the use case. I admittedly only use mine for backups, so they're not always running, but if you used UnRAID, only the drive you're reading from needs to be spinning (writing being different of course), so that would help a great deal with temps.

I actually run mine with a passively cooled Atom C3338 (board: A2SDi-2C-HLN4F) and that thing never gets hot.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Nov 7, 2022

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

F.D. Signifier posted:

Hardware Canucks review, looks good but limited, just a little more width and height would allow more GPUs and CPU coolers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vIL0MG-NwY

Wtf am I understanding this right - no dust filters?

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

orcane posted:

https://smallformfactor.net/forum/threads/dan-c4-sfx.12329/page-123#post-271666
The Dan C4-SFX will be 14.7 liters instead of the previously planned 13.37 (:v:), looking at the compatibility list of currently announced RTX 4080/4090 and RX 7900 cards this makes sense and the larger dimensions probably aren't very noticeable unless you put the smaller version right next to the large one (which you can't).

E: I think 2023 is realistic, but fair: It was already supposed to be out "soon" in 2020 :v:

In a way I think it's a mistake to build for 4080 and 4090, those cards are ridiculous and I really hope it's not a form factor that sticks around, the 7900s are normal

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I know this is a long shot, but I've been trying to find a case that's both shallow and narrow (vertical) (or shallow and short, if horizontal).

But at the same time kind take graphics cards up to at least 300mm, 2.5 slot. Oh, and I have an aversion to water cooling, so most sandwiches don't do it for me, I want clearance for a good air cooler (70+mm, I'd want at least space for a Noctua NH-L12s, more would be better).

I was hoping to find a case that would fit on a shelf that's 300mm deep, with cables out the back you need a good few two inches or so breathing room behind. I also want the front to be clean, as it's for HTPC use.

The spacing between the shelves would probably be about 355mm, so the case should be no taller than that.

The answer to that is of course the Phanteks Evolv Shift/Air, but it's overall pretty large, I was hoping to find something a bit smaller.

If I could easily find a reference 6800, then I'd probably go Silverstone Sugo 16, but I know I'm also restricting GPU choices down the line.

I know the spec sounds ridiculous, but the Meshlicious has a layout that makes my idea possible, as it rotates the gpu 90°, so the case can be shallower than the GPU length. The Meshlicious is not really at all what I'd want looks wise for an HTPC (also, total lack of filters). But if it was shallower still, to remove water cooling rad support, and had a flat aluminium front with vent gaps down the side, (so, mounts for fans and a clean front, same overall depth), then it had feet to mount it horizontally (or was shorter, around 340mm), it would be seem to be exactly what I'm looking for.

That said, I've also got my eye on the Sliger S610 (just over 13l), it's just small in every dimension, doesn't need a riser, loads of hsf height clearance. The only thing is that it's 344mm deep, which is an issue.

Edit: I seem to have killed the thread. I found the GEEEK A70 and A70 Pro, 90° riser style. That style is extremely space efficient. If anyone has a list of all the 90° riser cases, that'd be ideal. I'd really want that 70mm clearance for a half decent air cooler though.

Double edit: I'm hoping to get a Sliger SV540. They're discontinued but the EU distributor allowed me to order one. Fingers crossed. It doesn't meet my desires in terms of cpu cooling height, but it does meet the "evolv shift, but smaller" brief. I always set the most ridiculous requirements for almost every product I buy, and it ends up being a absolute slog every time

Triple edit: By the way, https://www.caseend.com can't be recommended more highly. The absolute best case search engine I found. https://www.comparesizes.com was also quite nice to quickly visualise a size comparison

Quadruple edit: I have a Sliger SV540 in hand now. All the parts are here, now I just need to find the time to build it

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 11:31 on Mar 3, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

My sliger SV540 build is basically done and running, I'm happy with it, but I do have a desire to make a custom duct from the lower 140mm fan to the cpu heatsink, to drag air across it and eliminate the 92mm fan on top of the heatsink. I used a thermalright axp90-x53 full black (full copper), I know it's not recommended to use a tiny air cooler in here, especially as it's right against the side panel (with a noctua nf-a9x14) , but I'd sooner design and get printed crazy ducts and mount a heatsink which really isn't am5 compatible (I passed the long screws THROUGH the am5 threads and attached nuts to the other side, and had to cut the screws short to stop them hitting the mobo backplate) than use water cooling.

CPU loads are noisy because of side panel turbulence, without it's dead quiet (7700). Gaming loads are unbelievably quiet as they don't lean too much on the CPU, that pound's (and change!) worth of copper soaks up transient heat loads, and sapphire rx 6800 pulse keeps really cool even under extended sessions

There are small things that could be improved on the case, I do think it should have external USB ports, for one. I made up a c13-c14 adapter with the angle the other direction, so I could have the psu fan pulling fresh air in - having it pull air from the back of the gpu just made it cook.
Still, I met the design brief, so it was a success

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 11, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

I guess 27 litres isn't really SFF, but I set out to find the narrowest case that would fit an ATX PSU, a full height tower cooler, preferably an optical drive, and still had space with room to breathe for a full size GPU.
This led me to the retro looking Silverstone Fara 311.
140mm PSU length? I blew through it, using a 170mm PSU. Fits. (Helps that my bluray drive is very short, and doesn't extend beyond the 5.25" drive cage).
Noctua NH-D15S is way too tall for the width of the case? Pah, I fitted it anyway (it clears if you use only 120mm fans on the heatsink). That said, there's so little room between the top of the HSF and the PSU, there's no way I could get the fan clips on after mounting, so I fitted a slim 15mm noctua to the rearward fin stack so I could still get my screwdriver in to mount the thing.
The amount of space I've saved compared to my Define 7 is remarkable.
I will say that the photos I took aren't particularly attractive, due to the need to manage cables on the floor of the case - there is NO room for cable management (which is why it's so narrow, 183mm).
I'm happy so far. Building in a huge case just isn't that satisfying, as I'm sure this thread will understand. There's something way more enjoyable about getting the maximum hardware in to the minimum space possible.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 15, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Wibla posted:

That's a lot of words AND NO PICTURES :colbert:

Truth. They were pretty lousy quality as I just took them hastily on my phone in a poorly lit environment, but you know what, here they are. The only difference in components (other than fans) is the case and the mobo (from X370 ATX to B550 µATX).

Size comparison, Silverstone Fara 311 and Fractal Design Define 7

Old Fractal Define 7 build - very clean, absurd amount of space to hide cables

New Fara 311 build - going back in time in terms of features and build quality, but I've saved so much space. It's probably the smallest case for this specific hardware install. I definitely want to tidy up the cabling further, but nothing's in the way, and let's face it, I can't see inside when the sides are on.

Bonus: my Sliger SV540 build - I'd said I'd get custom fan ducts/shrouds made to funnel the airflow over the components, here they are. They made a difference, so I'm pleased with the result. I took these on my phone too so they look like crap compared to my previous post with this case:

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Apr 15, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

ijyt posted:

Am I insane, is this just a UK thing, or are there like, no decent ITX boards for AM5? One of the largest retailers in the UK has just this:

I have the MSI MPG B650I Edge, I think it's pretty sweet. Why it's not available I have no idea.

It's still in stock where I bought it (but I'm in Denmark, so that doesn't help you). Maybe AM5 boards are just in shorter supply in the larger markets.

There's stock on Amazon, fwiw https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0BDS84JWH/

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 12, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Lord Stimperor posted:

Making fans of metal sounds like something that draws a lot of power

Just the frame. I'm getting Panaflo vibes

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

njsykora posted:

Best you can get right now is probably the Fractal Ridge. It's expensive but its the closest to a console form factor around right now. I've seen a few maniacs who've put 4090s in them.

If you have the depth the ridge is what I'd run with

If you don't have enough depth but you still want a full size gpu, you can get the case I did, in a very xbox series x form factor, the sliger sv540, but you probably can't because it's out of production

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Aug 18, 2023

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Moey posted:

I would have assumed by now that hotel WiFi is doing client isolation to give their guests some security, rendering the Shield App as a remote useless?

I've been to huge tech events where you can run a wifi scanner and see all the other clients. A hotel? Good luck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Scissors for cutting cable ties? The horror