Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Outdated? By what? A new Coffee Lake system should run well for 2-4 years with video card upgrades.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Every time I see a pc case with mesh top panels I feel as if I’m going to spill Mountain Dew all over in it.

LAN Parties have ruined me :smith:

What’s the easiest, affordable and quiet “small” case these days? The NZXT looks like the most practical?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

If I’m annoyed by high CPU or GPU fans am I going to hate myself with a SFF? Am I forced to use water cooling for both the GPU and CPU?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Maybe this will help...

As of today, I have a i7-8600 paired with a EVGA GeForce GTX 1070 SC GAMING ACX 3.0 housed in a Fractal Design Define Nano S. With some generic 92mm heatsink on the cpu and everything else is stock.

I don't want the current noise to increase beyond what is already which is ideal even under load. I'd migrate all of this to a small ITX Case, motherboard and with a new fancy high end CPU Cooler.

What kind of load noise would I see with the following options? I was thinking of picking up a 3x fan and 3-slot RTX 1070 with the suspicion this along with a large CPU heatsink should be able to allow me to have want I want while still in a smaller package. Is the NCase M1 my best bet here?

Is there any "reasonable" way I could jam this all into an even smaller case like the Dan A4 while keeping everything on air?

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Feb 11, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

LordAdakos posted:

I've got a 9900k and 2070 in an NCaseM1 running on air. No undercoating. It's super quiet.and fairly cool under load. Running noctua fans. Case sits about three feet away from me on my desk.

It's doable.

What fans and heatsink are you using?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

LordAdakos posted:

It's actually a 9700k, my bad. Running at 4.8Ghz

Running Noctua NH-U9S as my heatsink and a couple of Noctua NF-A12x15 on the bottom for intake and Noctua NF-A12x25 for intake.

CPU cores idle around 40C and GPU Idles around 36. CPU tmps about 72-74 under load. I can hear the fans a little at this point but its smoooooth.

What's the heatsink on the GPU? I am I wrong in thinking that a 3-Slot and 3-Fan GPU is going to give me that much of a silent system?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

orcane posted:

Number of fans is not really a good benchmark because two larger ones can be just as effective at lower RPM. The high-end models with 3 fans usually also come with a huge heatsink that frequently doesn't fit into SFF cases. On the other hand, tiny coolers with 3 fans might still be annoyingly loud if built poorly.

My thinking here is the the bigger heatsink with three fans and three slots would fit into the M1.

If I'm just going for 2-Fan 2-Slot Card I might as well looking at something even smaller like the Dan A4 Case.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

hypnophant posted:

Getting the M1 down to the noise levels you're currently experiencing is not going to be possible. The noise-deadening material in the Define is very effective, and high-end air won't be able to make up for it, especially at load.

Is there a way to get away with it using just a AIO CPU Cooler or another custom custom?

Using watercooling with a GPU seems like a huge pain.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is anyone able to spot check my re-build? I’m just picking up a new Power Supply, Case and Motherboard. The only thing that would eventually change is video card - that’ll likely get swapped out for something better when new architectures come out in Fall 2020. I’m trying to see if can grab a Dan A4 from Overclockers.co.uk since they ship to the US.

PC Part Picker

My only question, what should I go with for a Power Supply? Am I really able to get away with just a 450W Power Supply? I’m a little surprised I’m getting such low numbers but maybe it’ll work out?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I hit the trigger earlier,

- Dan A4 Case from Overclockers.co.uk
- Silverstone SFX-L V2.0 500W
- Alpenfohn Black Ridge Low Profile CPU Cooler - 120mm

The things I still need to figure out,

- Low Profile RAM. The 120MM Heatsink may not fit unless I use low profile, very low profile or ultra low profile memory. Finding this is incredibly difficult.

- Custom Cables. All of the shorter custom Dan A4 Power Supply cables are sold out.

- Additional case fans. I'll build the system out and see if they're needed.

- CPU Heatsink fan direction. Exhaust or Intake?

- Motherboard clearance. I may have to do some careful modification of rear IO Cover.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

drat, SFF building is way more complicated than I anticipated.

As for everything, I read that the SFX-L Power Supplies have larger fans and hence should be quieter. The 120mm Power Supply Fan over the 92mm Fan on SFX units should hopefully make a difference? The only thing I miss out on is possibly the 92mm intake fan which does seem like a small loss.

I wanted to buy the custom Dan A4 Case Cables and fan shroud but nearly all of this is sold out.

As for the low profile memory, this sucks. Everything I've found is either single 16GB sticks of unregistered ECC Server Server Memory that's not cheap. Kingston used to have 2x8GB Kits but these appear to be sold out. :smith:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

Unfortunately, the SFX-Ls are pretty much outdated. You're giving up valuable space to use a power supply that hasn't been updated in over 5 years. In fact, I took the Silverstones out of the OP because the Corsairs are just plain better, smaller and similarly priced.

What needs to be updated internally for Power Supply? Do you have any links or could go further into detail?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

They have higher efficiency ratings and the fans aren't as loud, while putting out more power and being smaller. I mean, I'm not saying the Silverstone is obsolete, but it just isn't what anyone should be buying today, given the alternatives.

drat it.

Is it possible to have two fans on the bottom as exhaust?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It's done! :angel:

1. Corsair 450 SFX Powersupply
2. Alpenfohn Black Ridge Low Profile CPU Cooler - 120mm
3. NF-A12x15 PWM Chromax Black Swap Fan -120mm
4. Intel Core i7 8700 (65 Watt TDP)
5. ASRock Z370M-ITX
6. Timetec Hynix IC 32GB KIT (2x16GB) DDR4 2666MHz PC4-21300 Unbuffered ECC VLP
7. NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 (150 Watt TDP)

All in all, most of everything was relatively straight forward. The case is freaking tiny and if anything you're going to be struggling with just getting everything inside especially if you don't have custom cables. It's still doable with a SFX or even SFX-L Power Supply but just getting everything in the right position is difficult which took me over a half hour. The Alpenfohn heatsink is absolutely massive and due to parts of the motherboard IO Ports being so tall I was only able to put on one of the wire guides on to hold the fan in place but it's such a tight fit it doesn't really matter. It would still have been nice to have a way to just screw it in however and low profile memory is a requirement. Don't ask me how much that garbage costs.

As for noise, I would say it's a little too loud for my liking under load such as gaming but idle it's totally acceptable with the CPU Fan at a mere 1000rpm which is barely noticeable. After a while it seems like the worst culprit is the video card over the CPU. Whenever the next slew of cards come out I'll probably upgrade to one with a better cooler until then I'll survive with headphones. If I was in a living room with a friend or family member it'd be easily annoying.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase but I still need a few additional things. I'm going to try picking up two 92mm low profile fans (yes, regular fans won't fit) and include those as bottom intake at low rpms and see if that helps acoustics especially under load. The only things I'm a little conflicted about are the lack of any windows because why wouldn't I put the PC on my desk since it's so small and show of my video card with that Nvida Logo that's lit up? And just general concerns over the top cover perforated. Granted you can feel the heat just pouring out yet I feel as if it's waiting for me to spill pop or beer all over those expensive internals. :smith:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 05:14 on Mar 3, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Small update on the DAN-A4 as I managed to put a single slim 92x14mm on the bottom under the motherboard. I don't even need to screw it down as it just barely fits and is almost too snug for my liking as it hits the video card PCI Express flat cable extensions. There are parts of the case and motherboard that block airflow but I think it has helped keep my idle fan speeds a tiny bit lower.

Once I get custom power supply cables I'm going to swap it out for another 92mm right below the Power Supply. I'm not holding my breath but I hope this will improve acoustics just by a little bit. I'll end up with two bottom 92x14mm intake fans, one 120x14mm CPU Heatsink Fan on intake, 2x??mms on the video card on intake, 92mm on the power supply on intake which will leave the air being pulled into the case and then all of it pushed out of the top.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

orcane posted:

Have you worked out which fans are loud enough to be annoying you? If it's the GPU or PSU, don't expect a real improvement.

I recently switched my A4 CPU fan (the single 92mm/15mm fan that came with the NH-L9a-AM4) to a quieter fan curve in the BIOS and the computer is virtually silent until the GPU fans turn on.

I managed to considerably lower the idle fan noisy by manipulating the curve with the ASRock A-Tuning Software.

The power supply and video card don't even have their fans speed at all. I know this isn't exact but I'm idling at 900rpm on 120mm and 1000rpm on the 92m chassis fan which is barely audible. Does anyone know the best performance they've got out of the large Alpenfohn Black Ridge Low Profile CPU Coolers with a 120mm fan?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Minor update on my Dan-A4,

I got another low profile 92mm fan leaving me with two 92mm fans at the bottom of the case on intake. I re-did the thermal paste with Arctic Silver 5 but the only thing I've been able to show for it are lower idle temperatures - 35c. It's still much too loud while playing games for my liking and I'm hitting >1000 rpms on the low profile 120mm Alpenföhn Ridge Heatsink.

Part of me feels like I must be doing something completely wrong, getting custom cables would probably help with additional airflow but I think in the future I might just swap out the i7 (65W TDP) for a i5 (45W TDP). The biggest surprise out of my whole SSF adventure is my video card - GTX 1070 isn't that loud at all even at load. The ASRock automatic thermal throttling software also seems to be leave much to be desired.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

How much would using a radiator for cooling help with noise levels?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

orcane posted:

Compared to your 120mm low profile fan, not much. You're restricted to low-profile 92mm fans on the AIO and the location is not optimal, the space above it is going to be full of cables (now you REALLY want custom cables):

Since the fan is focused on just cooling heat from the CPU in the radiator, it can probably run a wee bit slower. On the other hand there will also be pump noise and now you don't have airflow around the CPU socket (VRM, RAM, possibly NVMe) so that 92mm fan below the mainboard has to stay and run too.

That's specifically for the DAN A4 in default setups. There's an optional bracket to fit a 120mm AIO (requires an SFX PSU, not SFX-L, and a short ITX GPU) that would be slightly better I guess. Also, some people jury-rigged the case to fit even larger AIOs but then you're looking at extensive modding of the case and attaching stuff externally (eg. the PSU or radiator).

I’m sort of thinking about going with the 120mm option with the Gigabyte RTX with one fan that’s 173mm long but then my concern is am I just moving my problem of noise from the CPU to the video card? There are some interesting short 3-slot cards but those won’t fit :smith:

My end goal is to be able to have an SSF PC in the living room, play games while not distracting family, friends, etc. with a jet engine.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

orcane posted:

Realistically that's the only way if a Noctua NF-A12x15 is supposedly too loud.

A 120mm tower cooler (eg.) (requires an even bigger case tho) or a 240mm radiator is simply going to handle modern CPUs better and as long as you use sensible BIOS settings for the CPU they will not need their fans at 100% speed. Although I built several computers with the DAN A4 by now and it's usually the GPU that determines how loud the computer gets - with the CPU you simply tweak the fan curve and TDP/OC settings so the NF-A9x14 can keep it reasonably cool. Even at 2500 rpm the fan is not "jet engine" loud but a lot of 2-slot GPUs actually are.

Part of me thinks there's something wrong with the temperature readings or throttling from my CPU or Motherboard - it's an ASRock Z370M-ITX and i7-8700. I haven't seen reports from other users that similar setups are not this loud and to me anything beyond 1,200 RPMs on the A9x14 gets out of my ideal noise range. Many of the short single fan video cards have the BIOS locked to keep the fan speeds above 20% but folks are developing custom BIOSes and flashing. That's an absolutely last resort.

The Sidearm T1 and other cases certainly look interesting with improved air cooling but none of this stuff is readily available at all.

EDIT - I also feel as if you could probably jam another slim 92mm fan on the top of the case granted it'd have to it taped or glued along with carefully adjusting the GPU Ribbon Cable.

EDIT 2 - Here's my SFF Reddit Effort Post - https://www.reddit.com/r/sffpc/comments/fyt2ih/dan_a4_expected_air_cooling_temperatures_with_i7/

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Apr 11, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

It's like I bought a bugged CPU. My freaking luck. Goddammit. I'm crazy enough to delid it myself with just a knife. Lets see how this turns out!

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

There may be something unique about my motherboard setup - maybe it's completely blocking airflow. I'll take a picture of that later but other folks are telling me the i7-8700 has known issues with the IHS with a 20-25c drop which will likely get me incredibly close to RPMs I'm trying to hit.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Minor update, my i7-8700 beat my Exacto Knife. The blade broke. I'll have to order the delid device.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Deliding was successful!

But there's a minor problem, upon deliding the brackets that come with the Alpenföhn Black Ridge don't allow the heatsink to contact the processor. That means direct die cooling isn't happening but after re-doing the ILM with my own Arctic Silver temperatures have dropped easily by 5C at load and my idle is around 35C. Things might be even get better because I screwed up with the fan orientation earlier and it's on exhaust not intake.

I'll still want to see results with pure deliding, a possible CPU & Power Supply shroud and custom cables.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

orcane posted:

The quoted ~20°C temperature drop is usually just "normal" delidding as in, replace toothpaste with something like Thermal Grizzly Conductonaut, then reattaching the heat spreader. But that's load numbers, not idle (eg. stress testing with Prime95 or w/e). If you need direct die cooling to handle a 65W CPU there's still something wrong though.

The paste in the IHS was incredibly thick and I think I got about a 5-10C Temperature drop with only Arctic Silver 5. Then Arctic Silver 5 on top of the IHS connecting to the heatsink.

I'm still hitting maximum fan speed with Prime 95 but it holds under 80c which seems like way too much. I did try making the bottom case exhaust heat but there's so little tolerance in the case reversing the one under the motherboard causes the fan blades to just barely hit it.

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Apr 18, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I don't seem to have an option to AVX or MCE in the BIOS for my ASRock Z730M-ITX.

On another note, gaming isn't as bad as it used to be but it's still higher than what'd I like to have but unfortunately many of newer SFF Cases or cooling options don't exist yet. :smith:

EDIT - Looking at the Ghost S1 this might be a better deal. One of these with small top hat with 2x120mm on exhaust would probably solve my problems.

EDIT - If anyone know of place to order the Silver Ghost S1. Hit me up. Amazon has only the grey case in stock. :smith:

Gucci Loafers fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 22, 2020

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I wonder if any of the new Z490 Intel boards are compatible with low profile heatsinks, the new VRM heat sinks are huge.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

orcane posted:

As long as the cooler isn't larger than the cooler clearance zone (which is unchanged from previous sockets as far as I can see) there shouldn't be any issues.

It will be harder for coolers like the Alpenföhn Black Ridge whose footprint is larger than the clearance zone and parts of the cooler overlap VRM setups or the PCI-e slot.

That's exactly what I have! Personally, I think SFF case manufacture should just design heatsinks for the motherboard and the case. The Alpenföhn Black Ridge could easily be 140mm even in the DAN A4.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

drat. Good point.

Crazy idea, I want to try direct die cooling but are there intel mounting brackets that allow for this?

Lastly, the silver Loque Ghost S1 is out of stock until Q3.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

I just had a crazy idea,

Someone needs to design a motherboard that uses the rear I/O as exhaust with a blower style fan though removing extra ports because with bluetooth you don't nearly need as many. If anything - we just need 2x USB, Ethernet and Wifi.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Warmachine posted:

Pretty sure some of the high-end Asus boards with active chipset and VRM cooling do this, though that is only for the VRM airflow, not (by design at least) the rest of the case.

Just checked at yeah, the Crosshair Impact has some vents above some of the USB and the SPDIF port.

Too bad it's in a strange DTX form factor. I wonder how effective the fans are at removing exhaust.

Hopefully we'll have a ITX Intel version soon enough.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/louqesweden/status/1257310230292992000?s=21

Q2 2020.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

orcane posted:

The Dan C4 will apparently grow a little bit more in order to take 3-slot GPUs (in the classic layout).

The redesigned version is interesting to me again, a small tower cooler and a thicker GPU should allow quieter operation than the A4's tiny top-down coolers and 2-slot GPUs which are often the cheapest loudest SKUs of recent high-end cards (I wrote about the original design in the past, it was noticeably larger but still had size/cooling restrictions closer to the A4).

It mostly looks like this right now:

The first draft was mostly aimed at watercooling and supported a 240mm radiator at the bottom + a 2-slot GPU in sandwich mode. I hope he can finish it this year.

Sandwich mode was so much cooler, it saves a ton of physical space and I don’t why he didn’t put the radiator on top.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Eh,

I think the case is now too big now? I'd prefer to have something super tight and you could save a ton of space putting the video card over the water block that goes over the CPU.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

orcane posted:

It can already be put there? And the objective isn't to stay as small as possible anymore. The original iteration of the case was like that but you were seriously limited in hardware choice and Dan said it was horrible to build the computer, when he tried it in his prototype.

The case is more about SFF but with flexibility now (it first got about 10 mm wider to accomodate GPUs in a normal layout and now 6mm bigger to also fit 3-slot GPUs). You can use decent air coolers or watercooling and fat (cooler/quieter) GPUs without losing CPU cooler or radiator clearance.

I like it because GPUs aren't getting smaller and people can do fine air-cooled builds in the case if they want, too.

It can be but then you have extra wasted space! I will admit though assembling the Dan A4 was not easy. The tolerances are quite extreme.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

VulgarandStupid posted:

https://youtu.be/SJPYbrRmMhM

This is certainly interesting. I can’t help but imagine selling the product as a complete computer might have been a better choice than relatively low comparability and a 50 step install process.

I want to watch a video of someone assembling this monstrosity. It’s pretty cool they almost were able to cool a 65 watt CPU completely fan-less but still hit that 90 degree threshold.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

If you look through smallformfactor.net or r/sffpc they've started looking through card measurements. Some might fit. Others do not.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is the case actually slightly bending with the weight of CPU Heatsink or is it just me? How's the wobble?

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

ijyt posted:

Case designed around the shape of your components, so very hot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMkQPIji08E

This is absolutely loving amazing. Take my money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Is there a SFF-PC that is specifically made for just air cooling? Like a i7 or AMD Equivalent and supports large 2-slot cards?