Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
i was once sent to germany to represent my country in the noble art of guitar hero 3 at the world cyber games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

that video is from the year after i was there. i can see they did nothing to fix the glaring loving lag on the big stage (the opening matches were played on a smaller stage where the lag was fine)

e: wait no, 2008 was the year i was there. but the finals weren't witwix and wuffy, it was monkey and lo7_. i'm positive of this, wikipedia agrees with me too. what the hell

trying to jack off posted:

they had to find a way to make a game with a hard score cap into a competition

actually thanks to the way the star power system works, it's possible to squeeze a couple of extra points out of most songs with timing that ranges from "a frame or two" to "quite generous", even if you manage to otherwise get a full combo and get all the points from the hold notes and use the "normal" optimal star power path. sometimes these squeezes can require use of alternate star power paths that leave you with less points than the normal path if you gently caress them up - like most games, it's deeper than it first appears when you get into high-tier competitive play

but on the lower songs, yeah. i tied with my opponent in a really slow and easy song in one of my opening matches and then he demolished me on the tiebreaker because i hadn't practiced that song and didn't know the star power path

Instant Grat fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jun 10, 2016

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE

Hizke posted:

....holy gently caress. you walked amongst GODS such as monkey and lo7_??? :wth:

The "high-level" guitar hero community at the time, such as it was, was pretty much confined to just a single fan-run site, so everyone p much knew who everyone else was

the only reason i still remember any of the players is because it was such a surreal experience to get flown to another country to compete in such a huge event (big expo hall, millions of euros in cumulative prize money) when i was like 15 years old

• Locked thread