Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Hello and welcome to a thread mostly to chat about the protests at the upcoming national conventions.

First of all, a "warm" welcome to all members of law enforcement who are here to document folks incriminating themselves.

Second of all, a reminder to everyone else, to maintain security culture!
Don't incriminate yourself or others.
Don't brag about having broken the law in this thread.
Don't post about anything you are planning, if you're planning anything.
Do share resources.
Do share public information.
Do complain about heavy-handed police repression.

Now that we've gotten the pleasantries out of the way, let's talk about protests at national conventions!

Protesting at national conventions has a long and proud history. In fact, every year, hundreds of thousands of people show up to make themselves heard outside the convention, while media, party apparatchiks and one-percenters hobnob around inside. 2016 in particular is looking to be a real zinger of a convention season, particularly since we've got two of the least popular presumptive nominees in modern American history and most other American institutions have hit new lows of illegitimacy among the people. After a few years of increasing civil disobedience and increasingly muscular mass movements, 2016 will surely be a great chance for the people to make their voices heard.

Some Good Resources And poo poo:
ACLU's 2016 RNC Constitutional Playbook: This is an effective primer for anyone curious about participating in or visiting a protest.
Legal Defense Fund for RNC Protesters: Self-explanatory.
Crashing the Party: A study of the 2000 RNC protests and the influential state response to it. Also has a link to a number of interesting events, mostly on the east coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

oh yeah this will be a fun one :unsmigghh:

Immortan
Jun 6, 2015

by Shine
I really don't care what happens to violent agitators.

mannerup
Jan 11, 2004

♬ I Know You're Dying Trying To Figure Me Out♬

♬My Name's On The Tip Of Your Tongue Keep Running Your Mouth♬

♬You Want The Recipe But Can't Handle My Sound My Sound My Sound♬

♬No Matter What You Do Im Gonna Get It Without Ya♬

♬ I Know You Ain't Used To A Female Alpha♬

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If the rap-rock supergroup Prophets of Rage don't perform, they're missing a huge opportunity.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

jarofpiss posted:

oh yeah this will be a hilarious one :anarchists:

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Pisssssssss

Trumps Baby Hands
Mar 27, 2016

Silent white light filled the world. And the righteous and unrighteous alike were consumed in that holy fire.
there's a riot in my boy pussy, who wants to come fan the flames. Those ladies who flash world leaders to prove some kind of point to the front of the line, please and thanks

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i am NOT planning anything but offer support to protesters at both conventions, while being careful to emphasize i do not do so to incite a riot, which is a federal crime.

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
I hope everyone exercises their constitutional rights in manners conducive to civil order.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Don't worry those fires aren't the riots, they're the river

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Trumps Baby Hands posted:

there's a riot in my boy pussy, who wants to come fan the flames. Those ladies who flash world leaders to prove some kind of point to the front of the line, please and thanks

Bernie Bros probably have even bigger boobs,too!

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
seriously though who's driving/flying to philly

Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

RNC is gonna be a total shitshow it's gonna be awesome

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

ORIGINAL GANGSTER posted:

RNC is gonna be a total shitshow it's gonna be awesome

Or very bad things will happen who knows

Besides the usual overuse of police violence Trumpers will probably kill somebody

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Phi230 posted:

Besides the usual overuse of police violence Trumpers will probably kill somebody

Hopefully the person killed will have deserved it.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Phi230 posted:

most violence so far has been from the other team this year but who knows. theres still months of this poo poo to go

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Terror Sweat posted:

most violence so far has been from the other team this year but who knows. theres still months of this poo poo to go

Theres been plenty from trump supporters

In a place like the RNC where they feel superior/safe you bet your rear end theyre gonna get in a nazi rage

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

Poor Cleveland. First losing the NBA finals and now they're saddled with this poo poo.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

In a bizarre twist, the Cuyahoga river will be the one thing in Cleveland not on fire

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Mods: embed a .wav of "Bulls on Parade" in this thread.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

CaptainYesterday posted:

If the rap-rock supergroup Prophets of Rage don't perform, they're missing a huge opportunity.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/06/confirmed-prophets-of-rage-will-wreck-havoc-on-the-republican-national-convention/

“Well there’s a thing called the Republican National Convention in July, and that will be a perfect place for a band like Prophets of Rage to cause a raucous, and we will be there on the streets, in the field,” Morello said. “We have a venue and there may be venues that will be spontaneous venues, it’s hard to say. This is the kind of thing you don’t broadcast to the local authorities prior to arrival.”

the edgiest of lords, morello himself, will descend to cause a raucous, which is like a ruckus but an adjective instead of a noun because Rage fans are idiot babies without a good command of the Queen's Tongue.

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
the RNC in philly in 2000 wasn't really a big deal with protests, i don't even remember being inconvenienced much, but i was in highschool. the DNC proests in 2016 won't be a big deal either, unless people start setting fires. there was more civil disturbance when the Phillies won the world series tbh. i think the bernie people will be very non-violent honestly. black flaggers will def. show up, because crawling in their skin, their wounds they will not heal, fear is how they fall, confusing what is real

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9dEZ0hRlF4

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
Remember that NeverTrump delegate who said "Bah, in the old days you didn't even used to vote for candidates! You'd just pack a gallon of liquor, your revolver, and head off"

and then whined like a little bitch when Roger Stone threatened to release the hotel rooms of delegates who screwed over the popular vote.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Well I don't think the Democratic convention is going to be terribly inconvenienced by protesters, because they're building a wall around the convention (I don't know if they're going to make the Philadelphians pay for it or not).

Classic Comrade
Dec 24, 2012

(hair tousled from head shaking during speeches)

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Well I don't think the Democratic convention is going to be terribly inconvenienced by protesters, because they're building a wall around the convention (I don't know if they're going to make the Philadelphians pay for it or not).

how yooge and luxurious will it be do u think

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was at protests in Charlotte NC for the last DNC. To judge from the security then the walls will be exceptionally yooge and luxurious, and probably plastered with varied media outlet logos.

e: If they run Philly like Charlotte the most visible security presence will not be walls, but the bicycle-mounted cops patrolling in squadrons, while motor vehicles are barred from significant stretches of the city center.

1994 Toyota Celica has issued a correction as of 15:19 on Jun 13, 2016

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
if the RNC this year is anything like the last RNC then they're basically just gonna machinegun protesters down in the streets

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

I remember Roger Stone had a "stop the steal" rally planned for the RNC back when it looked like it might be a contested convention, is there still going to be a Trumpapalooza rally? Or should we expect mostly anti-Trump protests?

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

i want to see a cop car tipped over

oystertoadfish
Jun 17, 2003

Terror Sweat posted:

i want to see a cop car tipped over

you'll have better odds and lower probability of consequences if you buy the jersey of whoever's about to win a sports thing and go to their town

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
DNC protest squad: what are you guys protesting, specifically? Bernie's getting his conciliatory handjob in the form of platform concessions.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Volcott posted:

DNC protest squad: what are you guys protesting, specifically? Bernie's getting his conciliatory handjob in the form of platform concessions.

Bernie and Hillary are meeting today, so we'll find out soon if the handjob includes pleasuring lube or a fistful of rusty nails

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

zeal posted:

I was at protests in Charlotte NC for the last DNC. To judge from the security then the walls will be exceptionally yooge and luxurious, and probably plastered with varied media outlet logos.

e: If they run Philly like Charlotte the most visible security presence will not be walls, but the bicycle-mounted cops patrolling in squadrons, while motor vehicles are barred from significant stretches of the city center.

Yeah, when the Pope came to Philly last year, they banned private motor vehicles from a very large section of center city for a few days. I'd expect similar treatment. So glad I don't work in Philly anymore.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Volcott posted:

Is he? I haven't heard anything and would love to hear some examples.

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

Volcott posted:

They are protesting that they lost and now need to have a tantrum.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
I honestly love the fact that protests and subsequent arrests are a staple of each convention. It highlights our worst police tendencies and continuous political dismay

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Laphroaig posted:

http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/06/confirmed-prophets-of-rage-will-wreck-havoc-on-the-republican-national-convention/

“Well there’s a thing called the Republican National Convention in July, and that will be a perfect place for a band like Prophets of Rage to cause a raucous, and we will be there on the streets, in the field,” Morello said. “We have a venue and there may be venues that will be spontaneous venues, it’s hard to say. This is the kind of thing you don’t broadcast to the local authorities prior to arrival.”

the edgiest of lords, morello himself, will descend to cause a raucous, which is like a ruckus but an adjective instead of a noun because Rage fans are idiot babies without a good command of the Queen's Tongue.

Looks like Paul Ryan won't be skipping the convention after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
Protests are cool. Even cringey ones. Much better than avoiding mindless cubicle work by typing about how dumb protests are.

• Locked thread