Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Fidel Castronaut posted:

Protests are cool. Even cringey ones. Much better than avoiding mindless cubicle work by typing about how dumb protests are.

:agreed:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Cubicle work = American dollars, which are cool. You can spend them on hamburgers and videogames.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
I've never seen more useless people than generic office workers. People think unionized laborers are lazy but when I was in a union working at a grocery store, we still all hustled to get poo poo done during our shift. When I've worked in offices, it's just a bunch of people talking about their kids and reading reddit (or digg back in the day) and leaving at 4:30.The company could probably run on half the staff if people actually worked. Now I'm surrounded by academics who also get accused of being lazy but actually are always under intense pressure to produce research, sit on committees, lesson plan, grade, and feel guilty about not doing more until they are in their late 50s, at which point they stop doing research and barely teach their classes.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009
I was trying to figure out if civilians could buy barrels of that cool oil slick slime that was developed for crowd control purposes but I just don't think you can

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Fidel Castronaut posted:

I've never seen more useless people than generic office workers. People think unionized laborers are lazy but when I was in a union working at a grocery store, we still all hustled to get poo poo done during our shift. When I've worked in offices, it's just a bunch of people talking about their kids and reading reddit (or digg back in the day) and leaving at 4:30.The company could probably run on half the staff if people actually worked. Now I'm surrounded by academics who also get accused of being lazy but actually are always under intense pressure to produce research, sit on committees, lesson plan, grade, and feel guilty about not doing more until they are in their late 50s, at which point they stop doing research and barely teach their classes.

My wife recognized academia was a tire fire and got the gently caress out after her first post doc. Recommend you do the same.

In my defense as a lazy office worker who posts all day, most of the time Ive got code running and have nothing better to do. Sure I only work maybe three hours out of eight, but my computer generally puts in a solid eight.

Anyways, when the revolution comes Im sure Ill be first up against the wall.

Fidel Castronaut
Dec 25, 2004

Houston, we're Havana problem.
It's definitely a tire fire, and an increasingly more difficult tire fire to get into, but there is some solace in the fact that my PhD program is rhetoric and composition, so we teach a gen ed class. Everybody (save some very exceptional students) has to take a college composition class, so in a world where universities are increasingly depending on tuition to make ends meet, we make money. Even more if your department can teach tech writing, business writing, and basic writing. Still, tenure-track is no cakewalk and I'm not sure I want to put in the work in hopes of becoming another tire on the fire.

Anyway, protests rule.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Boomstick Quaid posted:

I was trying to figure out if civilians could buy barrels of that cool oil slick slime that was developed for crowd control purposes but I just don't think you can

"All" you need is polyacrylamide powder and basically a power washer. I think. Don't litter.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
There will be more people protesting this in the streets:

http://www.wsj.com/articles/philadelphia-city-council-approves-sweetened-beverage-tax-1466104155?mod=e2tw

quote:

Philadelphia City Council Approves Sweetened Beverage Tax

Than protesting the DNC. (If you actually want to read that article, use the google trick to get around the paywall.)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Democrats support yet another regressive tax, cool.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

pathetic little tramp posted:

(If you actually want to read that article, use the google trick to get around the paywall.)

What's that?

stephenfry
Nov 3, 2009

I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.
I AM AN IDIOT.

http://www.labnol.org/internet/google-proxy-server/28112/ probably

using google translate used to work, but apparently google modules are better now

Bloody Queef
Mar 23, 2012

by zen death robot

stephenfry posted:

http://www.labnol.org/internet/google-proxy-server/28112/ probably

using google translate used to work, but apparently google modules are better now

No no no. You just put the article title into Google search.

Bloody Queef has issued a correction as of 11:29 on Jun 17, 2016

TROIKA CURES GREEK
Jun 30, 2015

by R. Guyovich
Or copy the whole link and search for it.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
ANYONE VENTURING INTO a 3.3-square mile “event zone” surrounding next month’s Republican National Convention will be prohibited from carrying tennis balls, tape, rope, bike locks, sleeping bags, or any object they could stand on to rise above the crowd and speak. They won’t be allowed to carry swords or water guns. But if they have a license they’ll be permitted to openly carry real guns, including assault weapons.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Dang well I guess now that my fantasies of a backpack slime gun are over I better bust out the ar-15

Why is it that guns are arms but swords aren't arms. What's the deal here

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
The real answer is that swords are arms, but open carry doesn't apply to them, which is a completely separate issue from their classification.

Boomstick Quaid
Jan 28, 2009

Powercrazy posted:

The real answer is that swords are arms, but open carry doesn't apply to them, which is a completely separate issue from their classification.

Where do bayonets figure in

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Boomstick Quaid posted:

Where do bayonets figure in

Illegal anywhere - most knives are 100% illegal to carry in any major city, for example Philadelphia has a blanket ban on literally anything that could be a weapon, like a club, or bat, or piece of wood, and any knife beyond a box knife; guns are OK tho with a conceal carry permit.

It's like a misdemeanor though it's not a felony.

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar

Laphroaig posted:

Illegal anywhere - most knives are 100% illegal to carry in any major city, for example Philadelphia has a blanket ban on literally anything that could be a weapon, like a club, or bat, or piece of wood, and any knife beyond a box knife; guns are OK tho with a conceal carry permit.

It's like a misdemeanor though it's not a felony.

So what you're saying there needs to be a NSA or NKA

National Sword/Knight Association.

Where do bows and crossbows fit? NRA?
Ballista?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Crossbows are classified as rifles in some states beyond a certain draw strength. Something like 200lbs, In Texas for example. Though that is only within the narrow jurisdiction of the Texas game commission, and only if you are using them to hunt with an off-season bow-license as opposed to a normal hunting license.

Actually it looks like they changed that in 2009.

https://tpwd.texas.gov/faq/huntwild/hunting_regulations.phtml

e2: actually it looks like crossbow regulations for hunting have eased up a lot all over the country since the 90's.

ate shit on live tv has issued a correction as of 23:52 on Jun 22, 2016

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003
The Political Protestor's Uplifting Primer

A Guide on Civil Disobedience

Introduction

For twenty years now I have been an enthusiast of violent political unrest. I started in my teenage years in Denver CO in the 90's at a myriad of sports related riots as well as campus protests at CU Boulder. I soon became what is often called a "Street" or "Action Medic" which is a person who attends such events with the intention of administering first aid to protestors or rioters on the scene who have fallen victim to the growing armory of "Less Lethal" weapons that Law Enforcement likes to deploy on such occasions when they get to play Army man in the streets of a major city. In the following years I attended over a dozen political events from the G8 and WTO to Occupy and Black Lives Matter actions. This gives me a unique perspective on the tactics, strategies, and equipment used by Riot Police and professional protestors alike. Hopefully if you're planning on attending the upcoming RNC or similar events in the future this guide will be useful.

Tools of the Trade

The following is a list of standard equipment I typically bring to a protest. While many of the items on this list are first aid specific they will be handy to have on hand for yourself or to give to more competent medics if you do not posses any first aid training.

1. Clothing – I typically wear a pair of EMS pants like these http://www.code3tactical.com/5-11-tactical-taclite-ems-pant-74363.aspx which can be found at any uniform store. Depending on weather conditions I may layer some polar long underwear. Keep in mind that jails are quite cold and an extra layer of clothing can be a godsend when you have to wait for 500 people to be processed ahead of you in county. A second pair of socks is also quite useful in this regard. Shin, knee and elbow protection that can be worn discreetly underneath normal clothing is also nice if you plan on jumping fences or diving over cars to avoid arrest or injury. I use something similar to this. http://www.code3tactical.com/damascus-dnsg-imperial-neoprene-knee-shin-guards-w-reinforced-non-slip-trion-x-pads.aspx Rather than a jacket I normally wear two long sleeve shirts or sweaters layered over each other in different and opposing colors. The ability to change your description in a out of sight alley can mean the difference between being seen as just some schmoe walking home from work in the wrong place at the wrong time and a political agitator. A good pair of comfortable shoes that you can run in are also advisable as you'll probably be walking several miles following marches as well as running for your life while crying like a little baby. Lastly wear a plain balaclava around your neck that you can pull over your face at a moments notice to conceal your identity should the need arise.

2. Protective Gear – First things first you're going to need a good gas mask. I swear by this model http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...CA&gclsrc=aw.ds although it's a little pricey for the weekend warrior. Several alternatives can be found at your local military surplus store but I would highly suggest something that covers your whole face and eyes as tear gas will burn like a motherfucker if it is exposed to any of the soft tissue around your nose much less your eyes. Also recommended is a good pair of gloves that are relatively heat resistant. Tear gas canisters burn very hot and you don't want to get a 2nd degree burn throwing one back whence it came. Earplugs are a good bet for flashbang grenades but I'm yet to be in the line of fire of an LRAD so I have no idea if they or anything would protect you from it's effects.

3. Medical Gear – Now even if you do plan on administering first aid to some unlucky bastard who got a rubber bullet to the nuts you have to realize that your mission is not to perform battlefield surgery but rather CasEvac or Casualty Evacuation. This means getting the injured party treated to the minimum extent necessary to get them ambulatory and out of harms way and into the hands of a real medical professional (many of whom will have orders not to treat protestors so this may take a while). First things first you're going to want several small water bottles filled with a 50/50 solution of water and liquid antacid like Maalox. When poured in the eyes and face this will counter the effect of tear gas. Next bring several bandannas sealed in Ziplock bags that have been soaked in apple cider vinegar. This works as a makeshift gas mask for your patient or other unprepared individuals you may meet on your adventures in activism. I also take at least a half dozen chemical ice packs to treat wounds from rubber bullets, baton rounds, and direct hits from gas canisters. Last I carry a basic compact first aid kit with extra gauze, ACE bandages, smelling salts and a Swiss Army Knife.

4. Data and Communication – DO NOT BRING YOUR CELLPHONE! Local and Federal Law Enforcement agencies utilize phone tracking systems to target political dissidents and troublemakers at these types of events and unless you want to wind up n the wrong kind of database I suggest you leave Candy Crush and Facebook at home. I have a burner smartphone I got used at a CEX and hooked it up to a pre-paid plan from a store in the Mexican part of town that doesn't ask questions. This is useful for listening to police scanner feeds, looking at maps, following news/twitter feeds, and of course communication. I also carry a cheap Motorola radio to listen in to chat from other protest groups and private security. Additionally I bring two GoPro cameras, one attached to my chest always recording and another on a selfie stick to get a birds eye view of the action. Documenting what you see is important to show others what really goes down at these types of things.

5. Other Items – I always bring a hard copy map of the immediate area with possible escape routes and known police locations marked. I also bring a a notebook and pen along with a phony press pass in a laminated case on a lanyard around my neck that more often than not will spare you a nightstick across the face when confronted with the boys in blue.

Tactics and Situational Awareness

The first and most important thing to have on your side is information. Compile a schedule of known protest actions and marches. Get there early so you can get a lay of he land and take note of police staging areas and plan an escape route should they attack. Take special note of the direction of the wind as this will be quite useful when avoiding clouds of gas. Also keep an eye out for undercover cops mingling with the crowd who may act as agents provocateur to incite violence. Identify and avoid any Black Flag anarchists as they will be the primary target of harsh resistance.

It's important to stay aware of crowd mentality and energy. A sudden shift in the crowd can mean an attack from police from a direction you're unaware of. Hearing glass breaking likely means anarchists or provocateurs are engaging in vandalism and the gas is in the mail. Try to be aware and not get "kettled" or boxed in from several directions at once resulting in a mass arrest. Be aware of dispersal orders being broadcast over megaphones. This is another sign that you're about to become a guest of the county. Speaking of which.

Getting Arrested 101

You do this long enough and eventually you'll make a mistake and get nabbed. Once you are surrounded and arrest is inevitable take a piss. No really. You could spend hours in plasticuffs on your knees (Remember the knee pads?) waiting to be bused off much less processed. You'll likely be in a ten person cell with fifty people and one toilet with no privacy so you'd be wise to take care of business beforehand and eat a starchy lunch.

It goes without saying that it is unwise to talk poo poo to your new captors because they will have no compunction beating you within an inch of your life on their GI Joe holiday. Most of the riot police are volunteers from neighboring counties and relish the opportunity to go to the city and rough up some hippies so don't give them an excuse. Most of them will be wearing gas masks and will have their badge numbers obscured with black tape so it's open season for them to play out all their violent fantasies on smart assed college kids who think they know their rights.

It's a good idea to have the number for the Lawyer's Guild written on your arm in permanent marker for use when you eventually get your phone call. They will process your case and defend you should you be charged. Last time I was arrested I was part of a class action lawsuit and was awarded several thousand dollars for my 72 hour stay in county.

Well I hope this was helpful. I may edit this if people want more information or if I realize I omitted something. I have plenty of information on the different types of toys used by riot police, their effects, and how to treat the resulting injuries. Have a blast out there kids! Politics can be fun!

James Woods has issued a correction as of 12:41 on Jun 23, 2016

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

But if they have a license they’ll be permitted to openly carry real guns, including assault weapons.*

*Unless they're black, let's be real.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
After the Democrats spent the last 26 hours staging a sit-in in Congress I cannot loving wait for them to beat, gas, and spray protesters at their own convention.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

After the Democrats spent the last 26 hours staging a sit-in in Congress I cannot loving wait for them to beat, gas, and spray protesters at their own convention.

i heard there are going to be 8-10 million protesters there

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i think that means 8 million confirmed rsvps and 2 million maybes

Mrit
Sep 26, 2007

by exmarx
Grimey Drawer

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

Same. :)

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

I'll be here. Let's chill.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I'll be here. Let's chill.

hard pass

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Homework Explainer posted:

i am NOT planning anything but offer support to protesters at both conventions, while being careful to emphasize i do not do so to incite a riot, which is a federal crime.

Lol I bet you actually think the FBI would arrest you for forums crimes if you said you wanted a riot

this very website had a thread titled 'lets assassinate the president' and the secret service took until goons were literally picking their choice of sniper rifle and googling Marine One helipads for the secret service to investigate. pretty sure you can jerk off to bricking starbucks windows all you want here dog

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

a) you can never be too careful

b) thought it was a pretty obvious joke

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

in a comedy forum all posts are jokes, friend. sometimes the posters just don't realize it

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

Constant Hamprince posted:

in a comedy forum all posts are jokes, friend. sometimes the posters just don't realize it

neither does the :nsa: so please don't threaten violence re current events on these august forums

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

c) there's more than criminal prosecution to worry about, such as employer retaliation etc.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
There is also the more germane threat of getting permabanned from my favorite dying forum because the Secret Service called up Lowtax, again, about the quality of my posting.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
to me, the gold standard for civil unrest is when the secret service had to fly nixon out to camp david because washington d.c. got a little too feisty

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

to me, the gold standard for civil unrest is when the secret service had to fly nixon out to camp david because washington d.c. got a little too feisty

Well, politicians keep going on and on about the good ol days. Might as well oblige them.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

c) there's more than criminal prosecution to worry about, such as employer retaliation etc.

ok good point, make sure the starbucks window you smash doesn't belong to the one you work at

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

liberal contempt for workers rises to the surface so quickly lol

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
*in a homework explainer* let me explain how my reading of Marx accurately classes baristas as members of the proletariate

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice
*cockney voice* Me dad did 16 hour-shifts in tha machiato pits until tha boss-man fired 'im for scalding 'is hand in expresso maker

• Locked thread