Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Someone's gotta manage the managers. Inspectors need inspecting too ya know.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Constant Hamprince posted:

btw my point is that most service jobs have little to no value to a proletariate-run society. the existence of an upper-'middle' class is necessary to sustain a class of employment that consists largely or solely of performing errands

I agree. Our economy is basically run by either service based or predatory industries, which both cannot survive without a middle class. In a way doing away with the middle class would destroy our economy, and creating a proletariat run economy would necessitate massive restructuring in order to make this possible without a long period of economic depression.

While a violent revolution is usually the proletariat' s go to for this sort of thing, it hardly ever really works out since those who initiate the revolution usually simply step into the positions of power that have been recently vacated through violence.

This leads me to believe that our economic model needs restructuring, but with new and solid ideas rather than through violence.

Princess Di has issued a correction as of 00:50 on Jul 16, 2016

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

Homework Explainer posted:

ol' c-ham is good for a joke or two but knows absolute dick about marxismo outside of seinfeldian digs at it

how about the opposite?

Twenties Superstar posted:

newman is a thinly veiled criticism of communism aas a lazy and disgruntled union worker he represents the failing of what the CPSU called новый советский человек or New Soviet Man, more simply New Man

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

Zas posted:

how about the opposite?

yet another attack on revolutionary thought by ~rootless cosmopolitans~ (insert sheriff star here)

Mia Wasikowska
Oct 7, 2006

on second thought...

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Any news on the outcome from the protests today?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

ThndrShk2k posted:

Any news on the outcome from the protests today?

They didn't accomplish anything. One of them had butts, so it got slightly more than average media coverage.

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Posted this in the Hilary thread, because they need it more than this thread, but Jacobin has a good brief rundown of previous convention police crackdowns.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/07/dnc-rnc-police-repression-protests-conventions-philadelphia-cleveland/

You know, if you want to get all worked up before your morning jog

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum
i think Third Eye Blind refusing to play certain songs at the rock and roll hall of fame event near the RNC was the most effective protest in cleveland so far, but i have big faith in Philly's ability to get wild

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

Laphroaig posted:

i think Third Eye Blind refusing to play certain songs at the rock and roll hall of fame event near the RNC was the most effective protest in cleveland so far, but i have big faith in Philly's ability to get wild

its a shame there cant be an eagles game at the same time, that'd really ramp up the riot potential. alas!

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
looks like the sanders protesters stopped on some promenade on the way to protest the dnc to complain about the hanging of the mississippi flag and arent moving until the cops take it down

it's a perfect microcosm of the problems with the democratic party. on the march for income inequality (which is why in goddamn philly theres only 1 black person in the march group, theyre all at work because they cant take time off) with the democratic party being side tracked by a symbol (dont get me wrong its bad but pick your battles lol) on the way to address more important issues. that flag is irl twitter. someone even said cis white male out loud

Relin has issued a correction as of 20:39 on Jul 25, 2016

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Relin posted:

looks like the sanders protesters stopped on some promenade on the way to protest the dnc to complain about the hanging of the mississippi flag and arent moving until the cops take it down

it's a perfect microcosm of the problems with the democratic party. on the march for income inequality (which is why in goddamn philly theres only 1 black person in the march group, theyre all at work because they cant take time off) with the democratic party being side tracked by a symbol (dont get me wrong its bad but pick your battles lol) on the way to address more important issues. that flag is irl twitter. someone even said cis white male out loud

Omg I thought you were joking
http://www.columbiamissourian.com/n...54b7bfa83f.html

loving amazing

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Relin posted:

those goddamn bernie bros and their obsession with identity politics!

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

All leftists look the same to me.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
Hows the paper mache this year

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

Al! posted:

Hows the paper mache this year

Extremely damp I would suppose given the torrential rain

ThndrShk2k
Nov 3, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
Bread Liar
Lackluster protests on both sides

:sad:

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

ThndrShk2k posted:

Lackluster protests on both sides

:sad:

https://twitter.com/mattdpearce/status/757708142914506752

this is what democracy looks like

Laphroaig
Feb 6, 2004

Drinking Smoke
Dinosaur Gum

SirJohnnyMcDonald
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx

this is so incredibly pathetic

good god

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

same

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

oh my god hulk hogan is the third man

Nix Panicus
Feb 25, 2007

Thats some quality civil disobedience right there. Shame no one else saw it and it didnt really articulate a demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
lol a fat person trying to climb over a waist high fence is a pretty funny sight

• Locked thread