Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Hello and welcome to a thread mostly to chat about the protests at the upcoming national conventions.

First of all, a "warm" welcome to all members of law enforcement who are here to document folks incriminating themselves.

Second of all, a reminder to everyone else, to maintain security culture!
Don't incriminate yourself or others.
Don't brag about having broken the law in this thread.
Don't post about anything you are planning, if you're planning anything.
Do share resources.
Do share public information.
Do complain about heavy-handed police repression.

Now that we've gotten the pleasantries out of the way, let's talk about protests at national conventions!

Protesting at national conventions has a long and proud history. In fact, every year, hundreds of thousands of people show up to make themselves heard outside the convention, while media, party apparatchiks and one-percenters hobnob around inside. 2016 in particular is looking to be a real zinger of a convention season, particularly since we've got two of the least popular presumptive nominees in modern American history and most other American institutions have hit new lows of illegitimacy among the people. After a few years of increasing civil disobedience and increasingly muscular mass movements, 2016 will surely be a great chance for the people to make their voices heard.

Some Good Resources And poo poo:
ACLU's 2016 RNC Constitutional Playbook: This is an effective primer for anyone curious about participating in or visiting a protest.
Legal Defense Fund for RNC Protesters: Self-explanatory.
Crashing the Party: A study of the 2000 RNC protests and the influential state response to it. Also has a link to a number of interesting events, mostly on the east coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Well I don't think the Democratic convention is going to be terribly inconvenienced by protesters, because they're building a wall around the convention (I don't know if they're going to make the Philadelphians pay for it or not).

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Boomstick Quaid posted:

I was trying to figure out if civilians could buy barrels of that cool oil slick slime that was developed for crowd control purposes but I just don't think you can

"All" you need is polyacrylamide powder and basically a power washer. I think. Don't litter.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
ANYONE VENTURING INTO a 3.3-square mile “event zone” surrounding next month’s Republican National Convention will be prohibited from carrying tennis balls, tape, rope, bike locks, sleeping bags, or any object they could stand on to rise above the crowd and speak. They won’t be allowed to carry swords or water guns. But if they have a license they’ll be permitted to openly carry real guns, including assault weapons.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
After the Democrats spent the last 26 hours staging a sit-in in Congress I cannot loving wait for them to beat, gas, and spray protesters at their own convention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Homework Explainer posted:

a) you can never be too careful

b) thought it was a pretty obvious joke

c) there's more than criminal prosecution to worry about, such as employer retaliation etc.

• Locked thread