Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
My parents need help finding a place in the United States to retire. The things they want are

- Legal or at least decriminalized growth and consumption of marijuana for people who need it medically
- Winters that don't go below 0 degrees
- Houses available for under $200k
- Low cost of living (or very generous state income assistance for aged people on social security)
- Low crime rates

Does anyone know of any places that fit the bill?

Jewel Repetition fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Welcome to Felton, Santa Cruz, CA.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

peanut posted:

Welcome to Felton, Santa Cruz, CA.

Houses for 200K? Low cost of living? Bullshit.

I love the SC area and all, but cheap to live it ain't. My elderly parents' 2-bedroom house cost them 750K a few years ago, and it's still appreciating.

Edit: the Oregon Coast fits the bill fairly well except a lot of people can't stand that much rain and cloudy weather.

JnnyThndrs fucked around with this message at 02:52 on May 21, 2016

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

JnnyThndrs posted:

I love the SC area and all, but cheap to live it ain't. My elderly parents' 2-bedroom house cost them 750K a few years ago, and it's still appreciating.

Edit: the Oregon Coast fits the bill fairly well except a lot of people can't stand that much rain and cloudy weather.

Does it ever get sunny? Even for a single day?

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

Jewel Repetition posted:

Does it ever get sunny? Even for a single day?

Oh yeah, the summer has a ton of nice sunny days and it doesn't rain a lot between June and September. But a lot of people get really depressed in the six-month winter where it's not uncommon to be cloudy and rainy every day for a week.

My in-laws live in Coos Bay and I really like it there- the town's sort of a depressed mill area, but if you don't need a job, it's fine.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

JnnyThndrs posted:

But a lot of people get really depressed in the six-month winter where it's not uncommon to be cloudy and rainy every day for a week.

:britain:

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

JnnyThndrs posted:

Yo that's why I said Felton. Santa Cruz county has had a generous weed policy for a long time.
You'll have to go to Monterrey if you need to be out of range for the Silicon Valley commute.

noctambulous nebab
May 12, 2016

by zen death robot
I don't think there's an answer outside of California actually. The first condition negates a lot of places.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
Can't they just score a dime bag at the park like other normal people? It would open you up to a lot of possibiltles.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Believe in Belize!

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

peanut posted:

Yo that's why I said Felton. Santa Cruz county has had a generous weed policy for a long time.
You'll have to go to Monterrey if you need to be out of range for the Silicon Valley commute.

Felton is way, WAY out of reach if someone's thinking that $200k is about right for a house. There's not a single family home there under about $450k. I think even the homebuilt shacks and decrepit trailers above Boulder Creek are over the O.P's price range.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
One of Vegas's satellite cities like Henderson or Summerlin. Also probably Reno.

They should check with a Nevada doc about whether or not their medical stuff qualifies in that state.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Yeah my grandma lives in Henderson. You'll save time and money on lawn maintenance. :cactusdance:

Zsa Zsa Gabor
Feb 22, 2006

I don't do drugs, if I want a rush I just get out of the chair when I'm not expecting it
Portugal

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Jewel Repetition posted:

My parents need help finding a place in the United States to retire. The things they want are

- Legal or at least decriminalized growth and consumption of marijuana for people who need it medically
- Winters that don't go below 0 degrees
- Houses available for under $200k
- Low cost of living (or very generous state income assistance for aged people on social security)
- Low crime rates

Does anyone know of any places that fit the bill?

Washington state? Like Olympia or something?

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Washington/Oregon outside of the major cities, like maybe Spokane or Eugene?

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
Taco Bell x2

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Saint Joseph, Michigan might work. It gets lake effect so it doesn't go below 0 really (average Jan low is 17) but it does average 3 feet of snow a year. Medical marijuana is legal and prevalent in mich.

Plenty of housing under 200k for single family homes.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

Cicero posted:

Washington/Oregon outside of the major cities, like maybe Spokane or Eugene?

Tri-Cities comes to mind. Yes it is the desert but it rarely gets below 20 degrees F in the winter time.

Tennessee is also another option. A little bit outside the major cities (maybe 15-30 minutes away).

Ralph Hurley
Aug 3, 2009

:barf::sweep::zoid:

mastershakeman posted:

Saint Joseph, Michigan might work. It gets lake effect so it doesn't go below 0 really (average Jan low is 17) but it does average 3 feet of snow a year. Medical marijuana is legal and prevalent in mich.

Plenty of housing under 200k for single family homes.

Lol I grew up there. It might not get down to 0 degrees much but the winters are a fuccing drag.
Most people from there move to Florida when they retire.
But St. Joe is far more interesting and fun now than it was in the 80s when I lived there.
Lots of cutesy poo poo downtown that old people like, lots of restaurants. The beach is cool.
I'm glad to know Michigan has relaxed its weed laws.

epsilon-6
Dec 25, 2002

noctambulous nebab posted:

I don't think there's an answer outside of California actually. The first condition negates a lot of places.

What? Oregon, Alaska, Washington, Colorado? All of these places have straight up legal weed and areas that are cheap/pretty. California was the weed kingdom right up until Colorado legalized. A while ago.

Also California sucks (all of it).

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Bellingham, WA

Eugene, OR

Buellton, CA

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Try far north coastal California. One of the smaller towns in Humboldt might be a good fit. Arcata?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scott Justice
Jul 15, 2007
Hot Justice just sounds better
My parents are wildly happy in Milsboro Delaware.

Cheap houses, tax free shopping, I don't know where they live now, but it's 5 - 10 degrees warmer than New York, they've only had snow a few times in the past 8 years they've lived there, 15 minute drive from the beach, average age of people there would be somewhere around 55 - 60.

When I retire I'll probably go there too.

• Locked thread