Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heathen
Sep 11, 2001

I probably would have enjoyed it more had I not spoiled myself, but that was kinda bland. The creative teams on the new books are disappointing. Two Abnett books? I'll give King's Batman and Rucka's Wonder Woman a shot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Norns posted:

How soon till people say this ruins Watchmen for them?

I don't know, how long did it take after the other post-Watchmen Watchmen stuff that people will forget they were mad about?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Norns posted:

Has already happened, in this very thread.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

I don't know, how long did it take after the other post-Watchmen Watchmen stuff that people will forget they were mad about?

Prompted by his Comixology sale, someone in the Neogaf comics thread was hating on Darwyn Cooke for it just a day or two before before it came out that he was dying.

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Heathen posted:

I probably would have enjoyed it more had I not spoiled myself, but that was kinda bland. The creative teams on the new books are disappointing. Two Abnett books? I'll give King's Batman and Rucka's Wonder Woman a shot.

Yeah the new teams are mainly the same old crap. Not of fan of Snyder myself but his book will at least look pretty with all the talent working on it. I am a King fan but his book will look like warmed-up rear end when Finch is on art duties so I'll give that a miss. WW should be great though.

But for the rest... Shifting deckchairs on the Titanic comes to mind. Tynion, Vendetti, Abnett, Lobdell.... Yawn. Same crop of mainly mediocre artists...

Course there are some new names in the mix that I'm not familiar with so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Prompted by his Comixology sale, someone in the Neogaf comics thread was hating on Darwyn Cooke for it just a day or two before before it came out that he was dying.

Before Watchmen was genuinely bad even if good creatives were involved with it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Before Watchmen was genuinely bad even if good creatives were involved with it.

Maybe, but dude was REALLY hating. Calling him a piece of poo poo, so I guess the hurt still exists for some people.
I hope he didn't feel too bad about it a few days later :shobon:

ImpAtom posted:

The Cooke Before Watchmen Minutemen book had some stuff which some people considered extremely offensive especially when it came to its portrayal of homosexuals. You're free to make an argument if it was/wasn't but if someone read the book that way then I can understand why they'd actually think that.

I'm not arguing for it, just giving an example of someone still hanging on to Before Watchmen resentment.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 25, 2016

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Teenage Fansub posted:

Maybe, but dude was REALLY hating. Calling him a piece of poo poo, so I guess the hurt still exists for some people.
I hope he didn't feel too bad about it a few days later :shobon:

The Cooke Before Watchmen Minutemen book had some stuff which some people considered extremely offensive especially when it came to its portrayal of homosexuals. You're free to make an argument if it was/wasn't but if someone read the book that way then I can understand why they'd actually think that.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 25, 2016

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Teenage Fansub posted:

With Tom King, Snyder, Morrison and Rucka working there? Yeah. Pretty weak.
I mean, for events, they're no Nick Spencer or anything.
Morrison has nothing announced at all and the remaining three can't write an entire line of comics, no matter how optimistic you are. (Well, okay, they could, but it would either be a really small line or a really bad one.)

But going through the Wiki entry of everything announced, I'll probably check out:

Batman (though, yeah, Finch art is not terribly interesting)
Superman
Wonder Woman
New Super-Man
Trinity
Deathstroke (maybe)
Blue Beetle

Which is more than my current New 52 reading of:

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Norns posted:

All the geeks and comic nerds will look up and shout "DC has ruined The Watchmen!"... and I'll look down and whisper "No."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

I'm not arguing for it, just giving an example of someone I recently saw still hanging on to Before Watchmen resentment.

Endless Mike posted:

Morrison has nothing announced at all and the remaining three can't write an entire line of comics, no matter how optimistic you are. (Well, okay, they could, but it would either be a really small line or a really bad one.)

Morrison himself announced upcoming DC projects Multiversity Too, Batman Black and White and more WW Earth One, so as far as we know, he's still working there.
Anyway, the quote was "anything could be good with a good enough creative team, I just don't know if DC's current stable could manage it."
I'm imagining their entire talent roster wont be dedicated to making The Watchmen in DC work (or I hope not.)

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think a good question is who would feel comfortable writing the Watchmen characters? There were creators who turned down Before Watchmen.

And for as much as Morrison doesn't get along with Moore, I don't think he'd ever write those characters into a comic. Especially when he's shown he can write an effective Watchmen story without using the exact characters.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Robot Hobo posted:

All the geeks and comic nerds will look up and shout "DC has ruined The Watchmen!"... and I'll look down and whisper "Watchmen refers to the name of the graphic novel, and the group of heroes in the story is referred to as the Minutemen. The Watchmen is not the appropriate name in either case. "

Robot Hobo
May 18, 2002

robothobo.com

Codependent Poster posted:

And for as much as Morrison doesn't get along with Moore
Do they still have a beef?

I read Morrison's book Supergods a while back, which was half comic book history, and half autobiography. He admitted that in his 20s he (very vocally) thought Moore was awful and ruining everything good about comics, then in his 30s realized that he himself had been a self-important twat in his 20s and developed a strong respect for Moore and his work.

Of course, Moore seems the type to hold a grudge, and even Morrison admitted it was totally deserved, so that change of heart was likely very one-sided. Plus, it's from 2011, so maybe there was newer drama that I missed.

Robot Hobo fucked around with this message at 21:07 on May 25, 2016

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Robot Hobo posted:

Do they still have a beef?

I read Morrison's book Supergods a while back, which was half comic book history, and half autobiography. He admitted that in his 20s he thought Moore was awful and ruining everything, then in his 30s realized that he himself had been a self-important twat in his 20s and developed a strong respect for Moore and his work. Of course, Moore seems the type to hold a grudge, so that change of heart was likely very one-sided.

Plus, it's from 2011, so maybe there was newer drama that I missed.

As far as I know, Alan Moore still doesn't like Morrison. I think Moore hates everyone except like Neil Gaiman.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Codependent Poster posted:

As far as I know, Alan Moore still doesn't like Morrison. I think Moore hates everyone except like Neil Gaiman.

Alan Moore posted:

I confess I don’t read many comics these days, chiefly those by my current Avatar stable-mates. So that would be Garth Ennis’s always-powerful War Stories along with anything else that the man happens to put out; Si Spurrier’s excellent and reinvigorated Crossed + 100 and his forthcoming Cry Havoc from Image; Kieron Gillen’s spectacular Mercury Heat, Phonogram, The Wicked + The Divine and, whenever he gets his lazy arse into gear, the next run of the exemplary Über; and, as mentioned earlier, the incredible Brian Vaughn’s concept-crammed Saga.

From here: https://www.goodreads.com/author/3961.Alan_Moore/questions

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

He's head of Checkmate right now. He emerged again in the last couple of months. I can't quite remember what comic it was.

Grayson.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Crossposting from the main DC thread (and really, both threads should be merged by now):

Toxxupation posted:

So, I read JL 50, L and C 8, Superman 52, and Rebirth.

JL 50 was extremely, atrociously bad. Like the very worst excesses of Geoff Johns, an ugly depressing and grim and gritty and REAL comic that was a convoluted mess of stories and characters and plots, that utilized the killing of women many, many times to impress how serious the stakes were. For all of Johns' talk about how Rebirth is the rejection of darkness, everything about JL 50 was a reinforcement of the status quo. It was gross, and genuinely offensive. There were some really good moments, namely some Wonder Woman stuff with her ex, the GLing of Jessica Cruz (although that seems like a bit of a long-overdue apology for the rapey way she got turned into Power Ring), and the final moment with Grail and her mom but it's all cancelled out by all the death and grim n' grittiness and using babies as weapons and the multiple deaths of Darkseid. Just a trainwreck.

L and C 8 was really nice, even if it had some atrociously bad dialog and a kid character who never, not once, believably talked like a kid. Ultimately kind of unimportant, but a nice comic.

Superman 52 was the standout, able to kill off Superman while remaining sad (instead of GRIM) and still hopeful, a good page turn.

Rebirth...is a mess. The Wally West stuff is loving great and making him the narrator of the whole book totally works. The little interactions he has with everyone he meets is genuinely really affecting, and even the reunion with Barry Allen works. Everything else is safely ignorable because I haven't been up-to-date on DC, but the reintroduction of the Justice Society and Legion were both great, emotional moments. The introduction of a gay black Aqualad (?) is a good new step for DC to take. I still really like Jessica Cruz as the "main" GL, another progressive step.

The Dr. M stuff was all, all of it, exactly as bad as I feared. The death of Pandora was terrible and Johns explicitly shifting blame onto Watchmen for his own lovely writing the literal same exact day an issue of a comic that he wrote that illustrates how awful he is at writing came out in JL 50, with all of his very worst tendencies and the tendencies of New 52 in general. It was gross, it was cynical, and if I'm being honest it was a bit offensive, tainting the memories I have of one of my favorite books ever written. I really hope DC steers away from the Dr. M stuff because it really tainted a strong, emotionally effective Wally West story. Like, that whole "it's not your fault Barry Allen" stuff was a really lovely retcon that shifts even further blame on a completely unrelated thirty-year-old character that came across as completely unearned.

So yeah, mixed bag. I'm excited to see more Wally West in Rebirth and there's various elements in play that are interesting - new Teen Titans, married Clark Kent, new Aqualad, new JSA, new Legion, Jessica Cruz GL - that I'll follow up on. As it stands, though, everything about Dr. M is atrocious and makes me very nervous when the next event is set up. No matter how bad comics are, they don't make the ones you like retroactively bad - except for the truly awful ones, which is why Identity Crisis and Sins Past suck so loving hard. It makes every appearance of Dr. Light and many JL Silver Age stories full of rape and mind-wiping, and a lot of Gwen Stacy stories into how she was having a secret affair with Norman Osborn. I really, really hope this Dr. Manhattan stuff doesn't ruin the end of Watchmen for me, but as it stands I'm not exactly confident.

So yeah, kinda split on Rebirth so far. I'll continue reading I think, but the Watchmen stuff was really really bad.

PoshAlligator
Jan 9, 2012

When SEO just isn't enough.

Travis343 posted:

Personally I am more optimistic about the comics being good, or at least not actively terrible, than about a sloppy in-universe explanation as to why everyone was getting raped and dismembered for the last decade. Just stop writing stories where that happens, I don't need to read a comic trying to explain lovely decisions from the real world. Just make better decisions now. What DC needs more than anything right now is a few years of just making comics, without huge rebranding and restructuring initiatives. I think the creators and the fans need stability more than anything.

This 100%. Just tell some good stories.

Western comics just have so much baggage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think we can move any future talk of this to the DC thread since it's out now.

• Locked thread