Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm basically repeating the words "Greg Rucka Wonder Woman, Tom King Batman" over and over to myself as a mantra at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Travis343 posted:

I'm basically repeating the words "Greg Rucka Wonder Woman, Tom King Batman" over and over to myself as a mantra at this point.

Who's Tom King. I might read Snyder's Batman.

Edit: Oh, and add Grant Morrison to that list.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

BigRed0427 posted:

I think reading that gave me a headache.

Donna Troy and Wonder Girl are two different people, right?

Yes they have been different people since the 90s. Donna Troy is the one with the clusterfuck origin and wonder girl is the one from new justice and dated Superboy.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

BigRed0427 posted:

Who's Tom King.

Read Marvel's The Vision.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

BigRed0427 posted:

Who's Tom King. I might read Snyder's Batman.

Tom King is a former CIA operative who wrote the extremely excellent Grayson and Omega Men series starting in the DC You push. He's taking over the main Batman title in Rebirth.

IMO he is a better writer than Snyder and I am really eager to see what he does with Batman.

bobkatt013 posted:

Yes they have been different people since the 90s. Donna Troy is the one with the clusterfuck origin and wonder girl is the one from new justice and dated Superboy.

Wait, is Cassie still Wonder Girl in new52?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Norns posted:

Read Marvel's The Vision.

Also read DC's Grayson and/or The Omega Men.

BrianWilly posted:

Y'know what?

I'ma roll with it. I'm embracing this. Bring it DC, clusterfuck me like it's 2005.

This is pretty much where I am now. Bring it on, DC. I'm embracing the pain and the insanity.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think King is a better writer than Snyder easily and I'm not sure I can fairly compare him to Morrison since I'm not a Morrison fan at all.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

I'm more excited about Tom King because he hasn't written very much but everything he's written has been just great, so every new character he gets ahold of is pure uncharted territory but almost guaranteed to be good. I like Snyder and Morrison but I kind of know what I'm getting into with them at this point.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Holy poo poo I can not wait til next week to see the explosion if the Watchmen rumor is true.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I mean, there's pictures of the page, Rhyno. You can literally see it with your own eyes.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't know if it's a good idea if true, but I have to give them credit for just loving going for something they know is going to be super controversial if it is.

I mean that's not just an idea you toss out there and say "Let's see if this works" this is a pretty major deal. It's taking a huge chance.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I look forward to seeing Zack Snyder direct a Justice League vs Watchmen movie.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

X-O posted:

I don't know if it's a good idea if true, but I have to give them credit for just loving going for something they know is going to be super controversial if it is.

I mean that's not just an idea you toss out there and say "Let's see if this works" this is a pretty major deal. It's taking a huge chance.

I can't loving believe I'm going to say this, but they can at least justify it.

Bleeding Cool's article talks about it being set up with Manhattan wanting to create life at the end of Watchmen, and there's a few pages in Before Watchmen that show him doing just that. It's utterly terrible and awful, but at least they have a way to connect the birth of the New 52 to Watchmen, as flimsy as it may be.

Toxxupation posted:

I mean, there's pictures of the page, Rhyno. You can literally see it with your own eyes.

I've yet to see the page blaming Manhattan yet, just the page with Batman finding the button. I'm not sure if I want to wait until Wednesday now or just say gently caress it and go all in.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
There's a poetry to DC finally admitting that Watchmen is to blame for taking them in a super-lovely direction regarding their characters and the stories they're in. Like, symbolically, to say that, it's kinda big.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Geoff Johns is going to pull the same thing in a few years saying the DCEU was created by Snyder's Dr. Manhattan and that's why it is the way it is.

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

X-O posted:

Geoff Johns is going to pull the same thing in a few years saying the DCEU was created by Snyder's Dr. Manhattan and that's why it is the way it is.

That's 100% where my head went. Snyder's WATCHMEN is why he got MAN OF STEEL and BATMAN v. SUPERMAN.

Why not blame everything on Watchmen?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

The thing is DC doesn't exactly have a dearth of "going for it" ideas. This is not something they're in short supply of. If anything, I would say their main problem is that they can't leave well enough alone combined with implementing very edgy ideas poorly.

Also I dunno, DC has an obsession with their own legacy, which makes sense, but produces ideas like this that aren't exactly, well, brave or original. I think it's a lot braver to be great on their own terms over worshipping their moments of greatness, especially when it pertains to stuff like this or TDKR or Kingdom Come, all stories that are beloved specifically because they were standalone stories meant to comment on or invert their own legacy. It's kinda missing the very fundamental point.

I dunno, maybe it's cause Watchmen was the first comic I ever read, and it's the comic that got me into comics. This feels verboten. Like, I could ignore Before Watchmen because it's basically fanfiction that doesn't ruin the comics I like, but if it's true and they're saying that Dr. Manhattan left the end of the story to build an unsuccessful and much-despised universe that ended up reset within 5 years...that will kinda ruin the ending of the book for me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Toxxupation posted:

I am on my phone and relying on this thread to supply me with spoilers!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I am on my phone and relying on this thread to supply me with spoilers!

There, they ran the two leaked pictures there.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/20/warning-dc-universe-rebirth-1-spoilers-leak-on-reddit-and-you-wont-believe-dc-comics-has-gone-there/

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Read the Bleeding Cool article.

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Thank you!

Awwwww YISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Also that Wally West costume looks ugly as gently caress.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think where I've landed on this now is that while I don't think it's necessarily a good idea I am genuinely interested in what they're going to do with it and how far they're going to with it. I'm not going to dismiss the idea out of hand.

To me the three Jokers thing sounds like a much worse idea because I can't think of a way in which it work at all.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yay for Wally coming back.

But using the Watchmen? Goddamn, that's super lovely.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy
when Rebirth goes live please change the thread title to DC Rebirth - Imagine four Jokers on the edge of a cliff...

the Joker nearest the edge of the cliff falls off, DC says gently caress it we'll do it with three. REBIRTH

Four Score fucked around with this message at 02:56 on May 21, 2016

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Codependent Poster posted:

Yay for Wally coming back.

But using the Watchmen? Goddamn, that's super lovely.

It's like ordering your favorite pizza and when you open the box there's a huge dog turd on it.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I'm super curious about everything in that. Like it's such a giant swing for the fences idea that either we're gonna get something amazing or something we can bitch about for years.

Also why the hell is Pre 52 Wally wearing a Kid Flash costume? He kind of stopped doing that 30 years ago. I guess it's so people can tell who he is but that'd be obvious with "I'm Wally West."

Maybe they just don't want to call him The Flash so he doesn't say that part of his famous line nor have the costume. Shame if he's just older Kid Flash.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I'm super curious about everything in that. Like it's such a giant swing for the fences idea that either we're gonna get something amazing or something we can bitch about for years.

Or, option three, it's brought up as something shocking to entice readers for Rebirth that is then never brought up again in any capacity whatsoever.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Or, option three, it's brought up as something shocking to entice readers for Rebirth that is then never brought up again in any capacity whatsoever.

That'd fall under something we could bitch about for years.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Newsarama just put up their review of the issue and gave it a 10/10. Comes in both the spoilers and no spoilers variety!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Also why the hell is Pre 52 Wally wearing a Kid Flash costume? He kind of stopped doing that 30 years ago. I guess it's so people can tell who he is but that'd be obvious with "I'm Wally West."

Maybe they just don't want to call him The Flash so he doesn't say that part of his famous line nor have the costume. Shame if he's just older Kid Flash.

Maybe he'll be Flash Boy.

Or Flashy.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Dexie posted:

Newsarama just put up their review of the issue and gave it a 10/10. Comes in both the spoilers and no spoilers variety!

Sounds like a great time to link to what David Brothers wrote about their godawful coverage of Before Watchmen!

http://4thletter.net/2012/02/newsarama-needs-to-do-better/

http://4thletter.net/2012/04/if-newsarama-knew-better-it-would-do-better/

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Seriously, what the gently caress is this from the Newsarama review: "Of course the cynicism of the DC Universe began here — and the only way to counteract that is to call out the “world’s greatest graphic novel” for its sins."

Those aren't Watchmen's sins at all. Those are the sins of subsequent creators who took Watchmen as a model for what superheroes should be.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dexie posted:

Those reviews are a lot of words that say nothing.

I also like how it says it's a return to cheerfulness and then it talks about how Pandora was murdered as a jab at the New 52.

He also says "high concept" four times. We'll see if he actually used that phrase correctly.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 21, 2016

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Maybe he'll be Flash Boy.

Or Flashy.

Speedy

Barry Convex posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is this from the Newsarama review: "Of course the cynicism of the DC Universe began here — and the only way to counteract that is to call out the “world’s greatest graphic novel” for its sins."

Those aren't Watchmen's sins at all. Those are the sins of subsequent creators who took Watchmen as a model for what superheroes should be.

I mean, you do blame the cigarette for starting the forest fire. It was an unfortunately contagious idea.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I think if you're doing a comic event that's about rejecting dark and cynical as a concept for your comic line than using Dr. Manhattan as the main villain makes the most on-the-nose Geoff Johnsian sense.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

Sounds like a great time to link to what David Brothers wrote about their godawful coverage of Before Watchmen!

http://4thletter.net/2012/02/newsarama-needs-to-do-better/

http://4thletter.net/2012/04/if-newsarama-knew-better-it-would-do-better/

quote:

It’s like Barry says when Wally makes his triumphant — and permanent — return to the DCU. “I’m so sorry, Wally,” Barry says, with tears in his eyes. “How could I ever forget you?”

As an unabashed giant nostalgia baby for 90s/00s Flash stuff I'm sold. Pander to me Johns you freaking cereal loving comics slut.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Dexie posted:

Everything else sounds at least interesting but making GBS threads all over Watchmen and trumping up New 52 as some beautiful thing cut down in its prime is some gold-plated loving horseshit.

I thought about it more and I was gonna say that if Dr. M comes out and professes failure at his attempts at creating a new universe or was evil and created New 52 or something that could sort of work, but an inferior author blaming a superior work for the poor reception of a reboot he wrote the main book for is some impressive, and offensive, cognitive dissonance.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Should we start guessing what DC will do in 4-5 years when this is a proven cockup?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also: gently caress whoever wrote this.

• Locked thread