Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is this from the Newsarama review: "Of course the cynicism of the DC Universe began here — and the only way to counteract that is to call out the “world’s greatest graphic novel” for its sins."

Those aren't Watchmen's sins at all. Those are the sins of subsequent creators who took Watchmen as a model for what superheroes should be.

Yeah but Watchmen opened the proverbial Pandora's Box.

Oh god now I'm considering the idea that this has been a running theme in Geoff Johns' Big Event Books for a while. gently caress me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

ElNarez posted:

Yeah but Watchmen opened the proverbial Pandora's Box.

Oh god now I'm considering the idea that this has been a running theme in Geoff Johns' Big Event Books for a while. gently caress me.

Well...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah saying Watchmen is responsible for how modern day DC operates is not too crazy. Having it literally be the case in the books is definitely some metacommentary.

Dexie posted:

Well...

Holy poo poo, what is this from?

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
All hail Geoff Johns, bold repudiator of grim and gritty superhero comics.

Also worth recalling that a few years before that, Johns made an earlier, ham-handed attempt to critique those comics in Infinite Crisis:

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

X-O posted:

Yeah saying Watchmen is responsible for how modern day DC operates is not too crazy. Having it literally be the case in the books is definitely some metacommentary.

I wanna say it's from Wrath of the First Lantern, but it's been a long-rear end while.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

X-O posted:

While not that picture specifically, the imagery of Krona looking at the creation of the universe as a giant blue hand is from JLA/Avengers when Krona kind of debuted.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Two Tone Shoes posted:

While not that picture specifically, the imagery of Krona looking at the creation of the universe as a giant blue hand is from JLA/Avengers when Krona kind of debuted.

lol if this means that Watchmen was actually in a crossover comic with Marvel too.

But yeah, JLU had an episode showing that hand as well.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Two Tone Shoes posted:

You mean Crisis of Infinite Earth

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 04:38 on May 21, 2016

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I am 100% beyond fine with making GBS threads on Watchmen's legacy

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Yeah I'm sorry but as someone who thinks Watchmen is largely overrated, I'm just getting more and more pleased with every revelation.

I absolutely, unreservedly want to see Superman punch Dr. Manhattan in the dick.

...Oh yeah, how're they gonna get around showing Dr. Manhattan's dick, anyway? Are they gonna decrotchify him?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer
You know Dan has been wanting to do this for years, I can feel it in mah bones.

The long-time blue hand/Dr. Manhattan match-up is right there with Martha/Martha as coincidences that somehow make perfect sense but are also just loving crazy in practice. (not that I hate them completely, either!) (I am willing to be swayed, is what I am saying.)

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
You would think Watchmen is overrated.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

I wonder how Alan Moore is going to respond

I also know that DC is going to have a rebirth sale starting Monday night and it will include Watchmen

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

bobkatt013 posted:

I have no doubt he keeps an empty grave in the backyard of his castle, for the sole purpose of crawling into every time something like this happens, just so he can roll around in it.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Newsarama apparently just said gently caress it, secret's out, let's dump what we have on it. Here's some more pages.

http://www.newsarama.com/29407-preview-dc-universe-rebirth-1-with-spoilers.html

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

Between Before Watchmen and the Miracleman reprints where he's chosen to not be credited, I think he's kinda washed his hands of the whole "big corporate comics industry" thing. He's just gonna make his spooky magic-realist movie theater comic and move on with his life.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
BW Doctor Manhattan #4s are vanishing from online sellers all of a sudden. My store's FB inbox has 7 requests for it since 9pm.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

X-O posted:

Newsarama apparently just said gently caress it, secret's out, let's dump what we have on it. Here's some more pages.

I love the overly-blatant "Barry was never at fault" for ruining all the pre-Flashpoint relationships. You can hear Geoff pleading through the page.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BrianWilly posted:

Yeah I'm sorry but as someone who thinks Watchmen is largely overrated, I'm just getting more and more pleased with every revelation.

I absolutely, unreservedly want to see Superman punch Dr. Manhattan in the dick.

...Oh yeah, how're they gonna get around showing Dr. Manhattan's dick, anyway? Are they gonna decrotchify him?

You don't have to like Watchmen, but pretending it's not a good comic - and, further insultingly, blaming what was supposed to be a totally standalone comic written as an intentional critique and inversion of the comics industry as the source of the failures of a comics initiative thirty years later that you wrote the main book for, that everyone loving hated - is some mind-blowingly offensive bullshit. Like, seriously. gently caress Geoff Johns for pulling this poo poo.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

*reads the spoilers for this*

Buh?

Buuuuuuh?

Hubbuh buh?

Buuuuuh.

I REALLY don't know what to think about all this.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Remember when Alan Moore called out Geoff Johns for building his career entirely on top of Moore's works?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

redbackground posted:

I love the overly-blatant "Barry was never at fault" for ruining all the pre-Flashpoint relationships. You can hear Geoff pleading through the page.

Hahaha I was just gonna say that.

Fan favorite Wally West as a puppet for Johns to tell Barry that it wasn't his fault at all!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Remember when Alan Moore called out Geoff Johns for building his career entirely on top of Moore's works?

Now he's literally doing that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

Now he's literally doing that.

I really want this to be Johns striking back at Moore for that comment.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As much as I'm genuinely interested in the idea and plan to see where it leads I find it endlessly amusing that Johns is dropping this huge bombshell and then dropping out of the comic game immediately after.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

X-O posted:

They were probably told to just drop the preview since spoilers are out. Get ahead of it before the leak causes too much damage.

I am amused by Barry getting his own Johnsian Parallax retcon. "No Barry, you totally didn't destroy a universe because you were sad about your mom!"

Ah well I can stomach that for everything else I'm seeing.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Actually, I don't remember this. What happened?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Alan Moore is too grumpy nowadays and his views about most modern creators are flat out wrong, but he was right on the money about Johns.

It's also super lovely for DC to do this. Let Watchmen alone. Either work out a deal with Moore or keep ripping him off by publishing the comic, but actually moving those characters into continuity is some poo poo. It will be especially poo poo if they're the ones blamed for the grimdark poo poo that DC has been into ever since Identity Crisis. But hopefully that was just a really poor reading by that terrible Newsarama guy.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Toxxupation posted:

You don't have to like Watchmen, but pretending it's not a good comic - and, further insultingly, blaming what was supposed to be a totally standalone comic written as an intentional critique and inversion of the comics industry as the source of the failures of a comics initiative thirty years later that you wrote the main book for, that everyone loving hated - is some mind-blowingly offensive bullshit. Like, seriously. gently caress Geoff Johns for pulling this poo poo.Flashp

But even Moore said that people took the wrong lessons from Killing Joke and Watchmen. He was not saying that all comics should be like them. John's 52 books were also not hates. His Justice League became good and people enjoyed his Green Lantern. Just be glad he did not steal from Twilight of the Gods.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

X-O posted:

Hmm, Jackson Hyde Aqualad from Brightest Day? He wasn't originally gay, was he?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Barry Convex posted:

Hmm, Jackson Hyde Aqualad from Brightest Day? He wasn't originally gay, was he?

If it counts, Greg Weisman has said Kal'durham wasn't straight in Young Justice. He was at least bi.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

X-O posted:

My bet is that someone at DC saw the leak and said "gently caress it, the cat's out of the bag and Newsarama's slobbering our knob with their review, so let's lift the embargo for them."

That may be cynical of me.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

Dexie posted:

Newsarama just put up their review of the issue and gave it a 10/10. Comes in both the spoilers and no spoilers variety!

someone unrionically calling Geoff Johns the hero we need but not the hero we deserve is the worst thing to come out of all this

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
These spoilers look good. It is making me excited. Wednesday I will be buying my first comic in 4 years. Here is hoping it works out better this time.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Alan Moore is either going to have a coronary and die or laugh for five hours straight when he hears this

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

bobkatt013 posted:

But even Moore said that people took the wrong lessons from Killing Joke and Watchmen. He was not saying that all comics should be like them.

I know, but that's what Geoff Johns did. And then he turns around and blames them for his own failures.

He was given virtually full reign to construct the New 52 the way he wanted. His mistakes were his own to make, not the result of a work he ended up cribbing the tone and "realism" from in the first place.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No you're mistaken. Geoff Johns wasn't given the New 52 to create. That was Dr. Manhattan.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

No you're mistaken. Geoff Johns wasn't given the New 52 to create. That was Dr. Manhattan.

Oh, sorry. My bad.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

He was given virtually full reign to construct the New 52 the way he wanted.

I understand what you're saying with the other stuff but this is utter nonsense. What Flashpoint became was not under his total guidance or control. They hijacked what was supposed to be a minor Flash Crossover event -- no bigger than Blackest Night -- and turned it into a way to reboot the universe because they were in a financial emergency. Then the New 52 happened where every book save a few corner cases were under heavy editorial scrutiny.

You assume Johns, as a writer, had way more power than he did. This is the guy who set up all the poo poo after Flash Rebirth and was cut off from literally all of his plans and told to just make a bland Barry only book. He's not the overlord of Flashpoint and New52.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Two Tone Shoes posted:

You assume Johns, as a writer, had way more power than he did. This is the guy who set up all the poo poo after Flash Rebirth and was cut off from literally all of his plans and told to just make a bland Barry only book. He's not the overlord of Flashpoint and New52.
He was already Chief Creative Officer of DC Comics at that point.

• Locked thread