Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guys can we talk about the real problem here. What are we going to do with 12 Super-people and 3 Jokers. That's easily 10 and 2 too many.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

redbackground posted:

He was already Chief Creative Officer of DC Comics at that point.

Yes. Which did not stop them from hijacking his event and steering it in a direction that he had to make way for. CCO isn't the guy who makes calls like the New 52.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

X-O posted:

Guys can we talk about the real problem here. What are we going to do with 12 Super-people and 3 Jokers. That's easily 10 and 2 too many.

Extend the joker family obviously.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I understand what you're saying with the other stuff but this is utter nonsense. What Flashpoint became was not under his total guidance or control. They hijacked what was supposed to be a minor Flash Crossover event -- no bigger than Blackest Night -- and turned it into a way to reboot the universe because they were in a financial emergency. Then the New 52 happened where every book save a few corner cases were under heavy editorial scrutiny.

You assume Johns, as a writer, had way more power than he did. This is the guy who set up all the poo poo after Flash Rebirth and was cut off from literally all of his plans and told to just make a bland Barry only book. He's not the overlord of Flashpoint and New52.

IIRC, Wally West backup stories for the main Barry book, a Kid Flash ongoing series written by Sterling Gates, and (I'm more iffy on this one) a speedster team book called something like Flash: Feet First were all announced at one point in 2009 or thereabouts. They were all cancelled.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
God drat just want to say this looks good again.
Bring in the Legacies. The familial tone of the superhero community.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

If the Watchmen angle is just Dr. Manhattan creating their universe, how is it that Batman found the Comedian's button (with iconic bloodstain intact, of course)? Did Dr. Manhattan just like drop it there, so maybe eventually someone could learn The Truth? Did Dr. Manhattan recreate the characters from Watchmen on this world or something?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

X-O posted:

Wait what.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Travis343 posted:

If the Watchmen angle is just Dr. Manhattan creating their universe, how is it that Batman found the Comedian's button (with iconic bloodstain intact, of course)? Did Dr. Manhattan just like drop it there, so maybe eventually someone could learn The Truth? Did Dr. Manhattan recreate the characters from Watchmen on this world or something?

It looks like it is pointing out that the DCU was transformed by the Watchmen but now they know and it will not happen anymore. Hence Batman saying "We were being watched."

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Travis343 posted:

Apparently Dr. M kills Pandora. If I were to guess she leaves the button as a hint to Batman of who killed her or something?

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mr Hootington posted:

It looks like it is pointing out that the DCU was transformed by the Watchmen but now they know and it will not happen anymore. Hence Batman saying "We were being watched."

But how is anybody but Dr. Manhattan able to 'watch' another universe like that, let alone transform it. He was literally the only dude in there with superpowers.

Toxxupation posted:

Apparently Dr. M kills Pandora. If I were to guess she leaves the button as a hint to Batman of who killed her or something?

I want this to be resolved by Batman pulling out a trade paperback of Watchmen and flipping through the pages until he sees the button.

"A-ha!" he says to no one in particular. "I knew I had seen this somewhere before!"

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Barry Convex posted:

IIRC, Wally West backup stories for the main Barry book, a Kid Flash ongoing series written by Sterling Gates, and (I'm more iffy on this one) a speedster team book called something like Flash: Feet First were all announced at one point in 2009 or thereabouts. They were all cancelled.

But you see this man has all the power and his creative vision is what drives DC.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Two Tone Shoes posted:

I understand what you're saying with the other stuff but this is utter nonsense. What Flashpoint became was not under his total guidance or control. They hijacked what was supposed to be a minor Flash Crossover event -- no bigger than Blackest Night -- and turned it into a way to reboot the universe because they were in a financial emergency. Then the New 52 happened where every book save a few corner cases were under heavy editorial scrutiny.

You assume Johns, as a writer, had way more power than he did. This is the guy who set up all the poo poo after Flash Rebirth and was cut off from literally all of his plans and told to just make a bland Barry only book. He's not the overlord of Flashpoint and New52.

to be fair this perception mainly exists because DC tried to push it as hard as possible

but corporate was always the ones in charge

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

Superman, Superboy (Jon Kent), Superboy (Kon-El), Superwoman, Supergirl, Super-Man, Krypto, Power Girl (who is back on Earth 2?)

who am I missing?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

Batman can't kill the Joker, but maybe he can kill the extra ones!

Why are there three Jokers anyway? Are they trying to make three origins right? Have one be like, the classic 70's one and another like the one we'll see in Suicide Squad?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

12 may be a bit hyperbolic but it's quite a few.

Four Score posted:

Superman, Superboy (Jon Kent), Superboy (Kon-El), Superwoman, Supergirl, Super-Man, Krypto, Power Girl (who is back on Earth 2?)

who am I missing?

Lex Luthor off the top of my head. Also maybe Bizzaro counts? There's also a Red Electric Superwoman and another Superwoman of some kind on the cover of Superwoman.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 21, 2016

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Codependent Poster posted:

Batman can't kill the Joker, but maybe he can kill the extra ones!

Why are there three Jokers anyway? Are they trying to make three origins right? Have one be like, the classic 70's one and another like the one we'll see in Suicide Squad?
We're all thinking it: What about Joker's Daughter?! :ohdear:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

redbackground posted:

We're all thinking it: What about Joker's Daughter?! :ohdear:

Justice4Duela

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I bet there's three Jokers simply because they're revealing the identity of one of them.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Four Score posted:

who am I missing?

Streaky, Beppo, Comet, and Bibbi Bibbowski.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

It's not Joker's Daughter. We have the page that shows the three Jokers.

It's...literally just three incarnations of Jokers.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Dexie posted:

which ones, specifically?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dexie posted:

Where's the page?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Codependent Poster posted:

Where's the page?

It was on Reddit and /co/ but those threads have been deleted. I'll see if I can find it again.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I honestly am having a hard time seeing this as anything other than DiDio feeling suicidal and deciding to go out by insane British writer-wizard. This is insanely dumb and I am fascinated. I mean, I want them to just leave Watchmen alone, but I also want to see where this rabbit-hole of idiocy goes, so I'm conflicted. I'll give it a little slack if they just go "yeah, gently caress it, Dr. Manhattan dick in Justice League."

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

catlord posted:

"yeah, gently caress it, Dr. Manhattan dick in Justice League."

oh man, if Dr. Manhattan is a malevolent god now I will be so disappointed if he's wearing any clothes, gimme that glowing blue dong flapping in Superman's face DC

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

catlord posted:

I honestly am having a hard time seeing this as anything other than DiDio feeling suicidal and deciding to go out by insane British writer-wizard. This is insanely dumb and I am fascinated. I mean, I want them to just leave Watchmen alone, but I also want to see where this rabbit-hole of idiocy goes, so I'm conflicted. I'll give it a little slack if they just go "yeah, gently caress it, Dr. Manhattan dick in Justice League."

What if every panel has it hilariously obscured by phallic objects. Literally Austin Powers but with a glowing blue god who's talking to Superman or whatever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I haven't looked forward to a comics this much in I don't know how long. We ordered a metric fuckload and I am honestly worried we won't have enough.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
More spoilers from Newsarama

http://www.newsarama.com/29410-10-things-about-dc-universe-rebirth-you-may-or-may-not-want-to-know-before-wed-spoilers.html

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Newsarama has literally just hit "gently caress it" and is letting it all go I guess.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

quote:

A lot of fans will be pleased to see that Ted Kord, the classic Blue Beetle, is back in the DC Universe proper after being killed over a decade ago in The OMAC Project. Not only that, he’s teaming up with Jaime Reyes, who visits Kord Industries to get his Scarab removed in DC Universe Rebirth. But that’s not all – the new Doctor Fate shows up to retcon a retcon and reveals that the Scarab is magic after all, and not alien technology.

This is dumb.

This is really freaking dumb.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
They seem to be stripping Wally of everything that made him Wally so they are keeping the tradition alive.

Also this is gonna b a clusterfuck.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Four Score posted:

who am I missing?

Superman (Val-Zod) I guess if we're counting Earth 2?

TFRazorsaw posted:

This is dumb.

This is really freaking dumb.

:stare: DC why

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ok so according that Newsarama spoiler post Dr. Manhattan has set up on Mars in the DCU now and looks to be the new big villain of the DCU going forward. And he created the N52 purposefully to weaken the DCU? What? This is weird.

Also Darkseid is a baby now?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

They also lost ten years which explains why the new 52 wasn't consistent, somehow.

Four Score
Feb 27, 2014

by zen death robot
Lipstick Apathy

CharlestheHammer posted:

They also lost ten years which explains why the new 52 wasn't consistent, somehow.

Zero Hour Too

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So somehow they've managed to make a new continuity that is more confusing and convoluted than the old one?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I literally started laughing uproariously when the writer described the current DCU as "brighter and friendlier" then Watchmen. Good stuff. Good good stuff.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

quote:

There’s not one Joker – there are three. The original, Jerry Robinson Joker, the Brian Bolland Killing Joke Joker, and the Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo New 52 Joker are all separate people who have operated as the Clown Prince of Crime.

:lol:

This is dumb.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IGN has a full beat by beat rundown of the book. Seems Wally West and Wally West are cousins. And that the implication is that Pre-N52 and N52 are the same universe but it was heavily altered as a way to weaken it for attack and it is slowly reverting back in some ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

X-O posted:

Ok so according that Newsarama spoiler post Dr. Manhattan has set up on Mars in the DCU now and looks to be the new big villain of the DCU going forward. And he created the N52 purposefully to weaken the DCU? What? This is weird.

Also Darkseid is a baby now?

I wonder how that will make J'on feeeeehahahahaha who am I kidding he doesn't matter. Also if this builds up to how the first arc of Hickman's Avengers where they bring back the old (better) lineup of the JLA on Superdad's orders I'd laugh my rear end off but also be, not okay about it just meh. This is like Johns last giant middle finger before he goes and makes the DC movies better. Also old lineup being Superdad, WW, Batman, Martian Manhunter, Wally Flash, Kyle GL (crab mask and gauntlets goddamnit!), and of course Plastic Man.

• Locked thread