Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
I'm super curious about everything in that. Like it's such a giant swing for the fences idea that either we're gonna get something amazing or something we can bitch about for years.

Also why the hell is Pre 52 Wally wearing a Kid Flash costume? He kind of stopped doing that 30 years ago. I guess it's so people can tell who he is but that'd be obvious with "I'm Wally West."

Maybe they just don't want to call him The Flash so he doesn't say that part of his famous line nor have the costume. Shame if he's just older Kid Flash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

Or, option three, it's brought up as something shocking to entice readers for Rebirth that is then never brought up again in any capacity whatsoever.

That'd fall under something we could bitch about for years.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Rhyno posted:

Maybe he'll be Flash Boy.

Or Flashy.

Speedy

Barry Convex posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is this from the Newsarama review: "Of course the cynicism of the DC Universe began here — and the only way to counteract that is to call out the “world’s greatest graphic novel” for its sins."

Those aren't Watchmen's sins at all. Those are the sins of subsequent creators who took Watchmen as a model for what superheroes should be.

I mean, you do blame the cigarette for starting the forest fire. It was an unfortunately contagious idea.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

Sounds like a great time to link to what David Brothers wrote about their godawful coverage of Before Watchmen!

http://4thletter.net/2012/02/newsarama-needs-to-do-better/

http://4thletter.net/2012/04/if-newsarama-knew-better-it-would-do-better/

quote:

It’s like Barry says when Wally makes his triumphant — and permanent — return to the DCU. “I’m so sorry, Wally,” Barry says, with tears in his eyes. “How could I ever forget you?”

As an unabashed giant nostalgia baby for 90s/00s Flash stuff I'm sold. Pander to me Johns you freaking cereal loving comics slut.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

X-O posted:

Yeah saying Watchmen is responsible for how modern day DC operates is not too crazy. Having it literally be the case in the books is definitely some metacommentary.

Holy poo poo, what is this from?

While not that picture specifically, the imagery of Krona looking at the creation of the universe as a giant blue hand is from JLA/Avengers when Krona kind of debuted.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

X-O posted:

Newsarama apparently just said gently caress it, secret's out, let's dump what we have on it. Here's some more pages.

http://www.newsarama.com/29407-preview-dc-universe-rebirth-1-with-spoilers.html

They were probably told to just drop the preview since spoilers are out. Get ahead of it before the leak causes too much damage.

I am amused by Barry getting his own Johnsian Parallax retcon. "No Barry, you totally didn't destroy a universe because you were sad about your mom!"

Ah well I can stomach that for everything else I'm seeing.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

He was given virtually full reign to construct the New 52 the way he wanted.

I understand what you're saying with the other stuff but this is utter nonsense. What Flashpoint became was not under his total guidance or control. They hijacked what was supposed to be a minor Flash Crossover event -- no bigger than Blackest Night -- and turned it into a way to reboot the universe because they were in a financial emergency. Then the New 52 happened where every book save a few corner cases were under heavy editorial scrutiny.

You assume Johns, as a writer, had way more power than he did. This is the guy who set up all the poo poo after Flash Rebirth and was cut off from literally all of his plans and told to just make a bland Barry only book. He's not the overlord of Flashpoint and New52.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

redbackground posted:

He was already Chief Creative Officer of DC Comics at that point.

Yes. Which did not stop them from hijacking his event and steering it in a direction that he had to make way for. CCO isn't the guy who makes calls like the New 52.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

IIRC, Wally West backup stories for the main Barry book, a Kid Flash ongoing series written by Sterling Gates, and (I'm more iffy on this one) a speedster team book called something like Flash: Feet First were all announced at one point in 2009 or thereabouts. They were all cancelled.

But you see this man has all the power and his creative vision is what drives DC.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

quote:

He’s still an adult, but he’s no longer a husband and father (we’re shown that Linda Park doesn’t even know who he is).

no no no no no no no you were so loving close how the gently caress can you reset him back to before even Waid's run

Wally was never good without Linda.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

ElNarez posted:

wait but I thought Pandora made the new 52 to make them stronger against either the bad Justice League from Earth-3 or the Anti-Monitor who hosed up Earth-3, causing the bad guys to show up in the first place

Yeah and then Doctor Manhattan undid whatever she was going to do and made them weaker for it.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

ElNarez posted:

yeah but all she really did was rewrite the timeline to integrate the Wildstorm characters (and the Vertigo ones, well John Constantine, because Swamp Thing was kind of in already), and, I mean, that did take place, so, does the book go into what else she did?

Nah I think that's it. Basically what she wanted to add worked but then Doctor Manhattan took a bunch of stuff away for ~reasons~. Wally, the narrator and apparent protagonist of this event, was one of those things.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Toxxupation posted:

It's bad when your medium reboot (if stuff like final and infinite crises were "soft" reboots and new 52 was a hard one) ends up adding even more continuity and confusing retcons.

Also how the gently caress is this a good jumping on point for new readers? What 12 year old is gonna read rebirth 1 and go like "oh gently caress, it's one of the protagonists to that thirty year old critically acclaimed comic my parents don't allow me to read!"

Eh a 12 year old would recognize him from Young Justice and Teen Titans Go!

The rest would go over their head, though.

I imagine most of the books' #1s will be easy to pick up. The only ones that won't seem to be The Superman stuff, Titans and maybe The Flash?

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Four Score posted:

never mind losing that synergy with the short-lived but well-written Young Justice series in which both Wally, Jaime, and the Reach were major parts of the last season

Wally wasn't important in the last season. He just kind of complained about Artemis then died. Bart was important.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Four Score posted:

:drat: that's cold luddy

I just calls em as I sees em. I love Bart though so I didn't mind.

Heck Wally wasn't even that important in season 1, relative to the rest of the core team. Not that I blame them, hard to do too many speedster centric episodes. 90% of Wally's good poo poo to draw on was with Linda and Speed Force and neither of those were in the plans for that show.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Magic is just sufficiently advanced technology anyhow.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

X-O posted:

Here's the book Wally's going to be in. Written by Abnett so probably will be no good.

So his costume is just Walter West + Kid Flash

It might not be the worst if it was done by an art team that wasn't Booth and Dalhouse.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

Geoff Johns, the architect of the New 52 who killed his own favorite team and his own favorite character. Yep.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

See, I think the issue is that DC appears, on its face, to be blaming Watchmen and not "All the dumb motherfuckers who misread Watchmen and took the wrong lessons from it". And it's the dumb motherfuckers that are the corruptive force, so how the hell do they get to be blameless while Alan Moore becomes the vampire bleeding DC to death?

Was he dressed too provocatively? Was he asking for it?

Hey buddy I get your point but let's not start comparing the possible misuse of comic characters to rape.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

You guys are trying a bit too hard to convince him not to try out these comics to see if they're good.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

So here's something they didn't do before.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/geoff-johns-offers-to-buy-back-dc-universe-rebirth-1-if-fans-arent-satisfied

quote:

If anyone wants to check out comics, wants to check out 'DC Universe: Rebirth' #1 and doesn't like it, they can mail it to Warner Bros., to me, and I will send them a check, I literally will, for both postage and for the book," Johns told ComicBook.com. "I will buy all these books back because I believe in this issue a lot. I think it'll do very well. I hope it does well. But I seriously will, I'll buy back this book.

An amusing gesture, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

They don't even do a whole lot with what everyone's bitching about. An homage and a cliffhanger.

The rest of the stuff was good. It was mostly just going "ok here's this and this and this, you guys wanted that so you can have it" working towards the same narrative to set up a bunch of the new books. Might as well have been called "Wally West watches the universe right itself."

Two Tone Shoes fucked around with this message at 09:33 on May 25, 2016

• Locked thread