Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
There's a poetry to DC finally admitting that Watchmen is to blame for taking them in a super-lovely direction regarding their characters and the stories they're in. Like, symbolically, to say that, it's kinda big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Barry Convex posted:

Seriously, what the gently caress is this from the Newsarama review: "Of course the cynicism of the DC Universe began here — and the only way to counteract that is to call out the “world’s greatest graphic novel” for its sins."

Those aren't Watchmen's sins at all. Those are the sins of subsequent creators who took Watchmen as a model for what superheroes should be.

Yeah but Watchmen opened the proverbial Pandora's Box.

Oh god now I'm considering the idea that this has been a running theme in Geoff Johns' Big Event Books for a while. gently caress me.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

X-O posted:

Yeah saying Watchmen is responsible for how modern day DC operates is not too crazy. Having it literally be the case in the books is definitely some metacommentary.

Holy poo poo, what is this from?
I wanna say it's from Wrath of the First Lantern, but it's been a long-rear end while.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

bobkatt013 posted:

I wonder how Alan Moore is going to respond

Between Before Watchmen and the Miracleman reprints where he's chosen to not be credited, I think he's kinda washed his hands of the whole "big corporate comics industry" thing. He's just gonna make his spooky magic-realist movie theater comic and move on with his life.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

X-O posted:

And that the implication is that Pre-N52 and N52 are the same universe but it was heavily altered as a way to weaken it for attack and it is slowly reverting back in some ways.

wait but I thought Pandora made the new 52 to make them stronger against either the bad Justice League from Earth-3 or the Anti-Monitor who hosed up Earth-3, causing the bad guys to show up in the first place

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Two Tone Shoes posted:

Yeah and then Doctor Manhattan undid whatever she was going to do and made them weaker for it.

yeah but all she really did was rewrite the timeline to integrate the Wildstorm characters (and the Vertigo ones, well John Constantine, because Swamp Thing was kind of in already), and, I mean, that did take place, so, does the book go into what else she did?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

In case anyone cares. The spoilers caused Outhouse's clock to reset.

http://www.theouthousers.com/index.php/news/135389-dc-rebirth-leak.html

wait I thought the clock would remain at 0 while DC employed Actual Sexual Predator Eddie Berganza

also, technically, shouldn't the reset take place on wednesday when the issue comes out?

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

BrianWilly posted:

No idea who that last guy is but the rest of it is just seems like straightforward comic book supervillainy which is about as un-Moore-like as you can get. Not exactly the same as Robin shooting an insane girl in the face if you ask me.

Ulysses was the villain of the Superman run he did with Romita. His set-up is that he's Superman, except his parents were Earth scientists who sent him to an alternate dimension, because they feared Earth would blow up. He basically shows up with giant ships and tries taking people, but Superman stops him with his new Solar Flare power.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

He didn't just make Billy Batson an rear end in a top hat. He made him declare openly that nobody was actually good and then use his powers to scam money.

Like gently caress, people talk about how Zach Snyder doesn't get Superman or Batman but Geoff Johns understands Captain Marvel more poorly than Zach Snyder does those characters.

the whole point of the story was him rising above that

much like the whole point of the first justice league arc was them going from being pissy at each other to beating Darkseid

much like Simon Baz went from having to steal cars to make ends meet to being the Green Lantern doing all kinds of impossible poo poo because no one told him he couldn't

it's all there, the intent and the execution are always the same, people overcome flaws that are made very clear and very literal, and achieve greatness

we can debate how well he does it, but let's not claim he doesn't

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

So? How does that defeat my point? How is having to have Captain Marvel 'rise above that' any different than having Superman angst and be sad or Batman use guns and shoot people?

The point of Captain Marvel is that he is optimism and childish hope given literal form. Having him be or start as the avatar for cynicism and bitterness is completely lovely, even if he 'grows out of it' to getting his rear end beat by Batman and whining about wanting to play X-Box.

Nu52 Captain Marvel loving sucks and if Rebirth gets rid of him that alone will be a huge improvement.

Because it affirms the exact thing you're saying. It challenges the values assigned to Captain Marvel, and, using action as a way to do its demonstration, shows how those values are the ones to be adopted and followed. It's using conflict to affirm that much louder that being bitter and cynical is lovely and goes nowhere. It gives Billy texture, reasons for why he is the way he is.

That way of characterizing people is old as hell, it's pretty much the reason why Marvel got successfull in the first place. We could complain about how Spider-Man starts out irresponsible and vain, but, you know, he rises above that.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I couldn't stop myself from spoiling myself. Jesus, what a shitshow

Also I don't follow comic folk on Twitter, so I can't keep track of which creators like/dislike each other, but doesn't Morrison have beef with Alan Moore too? I ask because there's no way Johns alone could have come up with something this crazy by himself, there must be some Legion of Doom headquarters full of writers trying to make Moore's head actually explode from sheer anger buildup.

The Moore/Morrison beef is old as hell. For more, I recommend The Last War in Albion.

http://www.eruditorumpress.com/blog/tag/last-war-in-albion/

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

TFRazorsaw posted:

Wow.

I'm no fan of Moore but that feels like a super lovely thing to do.

It's kinda sorta reiterating a point he made in Seven Soldiers with Zor the Terrible Time Tailor. You can even find it in Flex Mentallo. It's a condemnation of "grim for the sake of grim because that uncompromising and total approach is the only way comics can mean something" most people would here would agree with.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

The problem is Alan Moore for all his faults never attempted that. Alan Moore just makes a convenient scapegoat. This shows that ultimately Dan and Johns have learned nothing.

Dan Dreiberg is a bored man-child who can only get off when he's playing superhero. And, in Watchmen, that totally makes sense, you know, it's a book, in part, about the kind of relationship we have with punch man comics, and the sexual aspect of it warrants discussion. But it's the kind of thing that only fits in Watchmen, because of this total approach Moore and Gibbons have taken.

Doing this in mainline DCU comics, as we've seen a lot, leads to lots of awkward comics about Batman's boners. Which, I don't think anyone reads Batman books for.

I don't think Johns is using Moore as a scapegoat. I think his argument is that trying to do Watchmen in our goofy comics about underpants people is trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. In Johnsian literalist terms, it's Doctor Manhattan trying to experiment by shaping a world and only creating misery. Moore is not to blame, it's just that his approach is entirely incompatible with the DCU.

Geoff Johns' comics are not comparable to Watchmen. They do not do what Watchmen did, except for the graphic violence. It's not the same thing, Geoff Johns isn't trying to question anything, he just thinks people barfing blood at one another makes for a weird, cool visual that evokes the kind of gut feeling he wants people to experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

He's head of Checkmate right now. He emerged again in the last couple of months. I can't quite remember what comic it was.

Grayson.

• Locked thread