Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Read the Bleeding Cool article.

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Also that Wally West costume looks ugly as gently caress.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

X-O posted:

Newsarama apparently just said gently caress it, secret's out, let's dump what we have on it. Here's some more pages.

http://www.newsarama.com/29407-preview-dc-universe-rebirth-1-with-spoilers.html

My bet is that someone at DC saw the leak and said "gently caress it, the cat's out of the bag and Newsarama's slobbering our knob with their review, so let's lift the embargo for them."

That may be cynical of me.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Barry Convex posted:

First interview I've seen with Johns on this. Here's his take/spin/whatever you want to call it on the Watchmen twist, for what it's worth:

Personally, I find this rationale thoroughly unconvincing; if his intent was not to criticize Watchmen itself, but rather just subsequent creators misinterpreting Watchmen as an "instruction manual," then that intent is hopelessly muddled by the decision to cast an actual character from Watchmen as the villain. But I guess more subtle and well-thought-out metacommentary wouldn't have had the same headline-grabbing shock value.

I find it extra unconvincing coming from the guy behind Blackest Night.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

BrianWilly posted:

But what was the most subversively grimdark Moore-esque thing Johns has done in the Nu52? Making Billy Batson an rear end in a top hat? I haven't given much poo poo about Johns' stuff lately but as far as I know most of it has been largely, simplistically superheroic.

Blackest Night wanted to be simplistically superheroic but was so over the top that it veered right past 'parody grimdark' and into 'just plain grimdark.'

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Jiro posted:

Was Dial H pre or post N52? That always felt like one of the most unique comic books during its run. By China Melville.

I believe that was actually a New 52 launch title, and probably the best of the bunch IMHO.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

To be fair, when Morrison was first getting established as a writer, he apparently thought it was important to build some name recognition by publicly making GBS threads on Alan Moore (he has since admitted this, both that he spent a lot of time making GBS threads on Moore and that he was doing it to cultivate a sort of 'bad boy' image for publicity purposes), so it's not like Moore's visceral dislike of Morrison is entirely baseless, but as Morrison seems to have let any further animosity fall by the wayside, Moore has picked it up and taken it home to feed and nurture into a ravenous hellbeast of discord.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

CapnAndy posted:

All the dumb motherfuckers who misread Watchmen and took the wrong lessons from it is absolutely a corruptive force, though. I mean, Final Crisis literally called Alan Moore the corrupting force at the center of everything and a vampire who was bleeding DC to death because they couldn't shake his malign influence.

See, I think the issue is that DC appears, on its face, to be blaming Watchmen and not "All the dumb motherfuckers who misread Watchmen and took the wrong lessons from it". And it's the dumb motherfuckers that are the corruptive force, so how the hell do they get to be blameless while Alan Moore becomes the vampire bleeding DC to death?

Was he dressed too provocatively? Was he asking for it?

• Locked thread