Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

So uh, yeah. There are big spoilers there and to not infect people in the DC thread here is a thread where you can freak out about the spoilers. Do not post the actual leaked pictures though.

Ignore the first page of chat based on two leaked pages of an 80 page book and just read this entire rundown of the actual book if interested: http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/21/dc-universe-rebirth-1-full-spoilers-leak-online

X-O fucked around with this message at 09:41 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Dexie posted:

Alright, let's...let's just stay calm for right now. They wouldn't ACTUALLY bring the Watchmen to mainline canon, right?

It's got to just be Johns trying to ruse us. Let's just...wait for the full comic so we can see things in context.

Yes breathe easy and wait for context. The Wally thing is rad though, I'll wait and see about Watchmen. I knew the DC thread would turn into a nightmare if I didn't make this thread though.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Bleeding Cool is reporting that the comic states that Dr Manhattan is the one responsible for the New 52.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

DrProsek posted:

My Joker cap is 0 so unless all these Jokers are dying right off the bat, this drastically increases the possibility I'll have to drop books due to too much Joker.

Love that Joker!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think King is a better writer than Snyder easily and I'm not sure I can fairly compare him to Morrison since I'm not a Morrison fan at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I don't know if it's a good idea if true, but I have to give them credit for just loving going for something they know is going to be super controversial if it is.

I mean that's not just an idea you toss out there and say "Let's see if this works" this is a pretty major deal. It's taking a huge chance.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Geoff Johns is going to pull the same thing in a few years saying the DCEU was created by Snyder's Dr. Manhattan and that's why it is the way it is.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

I am on my phone and relying on this thread to supply me with spoilers!

There, they ran the two leaked pictures there.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/20/warning-dc-universe-rebirth-1-spoilers-leak-on-reddit-and-you-wont-believe-dc-comics-has-gone-there/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think where I've landed on this now is that while I don't think it's necessarily a good idea I am genuinely interested in what they're going to do with it and how far they're going to with it. I'm not going to dismiss the idea out of hand.

To me the three Jokers thing sounds like a much worse idea because I can't think of a way in which it work at all.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Yeah saying Watchmen is responsible for how modern day DC operates is not too crazy. Having it literally be the case in the books is definitely some metacommentary.

Dexie posted:

Well...

Holy poo poo, what is this from?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Newsarama apparently just said gently caress it, secret's out, let's dump what we have on it. Here's some more pages.

http://www.newsarama.com/29407-preview-dc-universe-rebirth-1-with-spoilers.html

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

Remember when Alan Moore called out Geoff Johns for building his career entirely on top of Moore's works?

Now he's literally doing that.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As much as I'm genuinely interested in the idea and plan to see where it leads I find it endlessly amusing that Johns is dropping this huge bombshell and then dropping out of the comic game immediately after.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

No you're mistaken. Geoff Johns wasn't given the New 52 to create. That was Dr. Manhattan.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Guys can we talk about the real problem here. What are we going to do with 12 Super-people and 3 Jokers. That's easily 10 and 2 too many.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

12 may be a bit hyperbolic but it's quite a few.

Four Score posted:

Superman, Superboy (Jon Kent), Superboy (Kon-El), Superwoman, Supergirl, Super-Man, Krypto, Power Girl (who is back on Earth 2?)

who am I missing?

Lex Luthor off the top of my head. Also maybe Bizzaro counts? There's also a Red Electric Superwoman and another Superwoman of some kind on the cover of Superwoman.

X-O fucked around with this message at 05:35 on May 21, 2016

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I bet there's three Jokers simply because they're revealing the identity of one of them.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Newsarama has literally just hit "gently caress it" and is letting it all go I guess.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Ok so according that Newsarama spoiler post Dr. Manhattan has set up on Mars in the DCU now and looks to be the new big villain of the DCU going forward. And he created the N52 purposefully to weaken the DCU? What? This is weird.

Also Darkseid is a baby now?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

IGN has a full beat by beat rundown of the book. Seems Wally West and Wally West are cousins. And that the implication is that Pre-N52 and N52 are the same universe but it was heavily altered as a way to weaken it for attack and it is slowly reverting back in some ways.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's the IGN rundown of the whole book.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2016/05/21/dc-universe-rebirth-1-full-spoilers-leak-online

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TFRazorsaw posted:

I realize the scarab being technological was itself a retcon but

Does anyone ANYWHERE really give a spit about Dan Garrett enough to go "God I wish it was still a magical bug totem thing!"

Are you asking if Geoff Johns gives a poo poo about an old thing? Really?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

I think after reading the various rundowns and articles the thing that surprises me most out of this is how much of a complete indictment of the New 52 this seems to be. I mean the book is basically telling you "The last five years of stories were bad" and that's either a big realization on their part or them just coming clean after knowing the whole time. Either way it feels they realize what the problem is and are at least attempting to address it.

Also I don't think Johns is trying to say he's innocent in all this. I think he realizes that he was doing wrong as well and this is him trying to course correct. Just because you've screwed up doesn't mean you can't try to fix it even if you fail spectacularly.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

As much as I rag on Johns, and I don't think he's a very good writer now, I love his Flash run. That's why it was so disheartening to me that he was the one that basically destroyed the character that he and Waid did such good work on. If that was Johns we had been seeing for the last 10 years I think I'd have a very different opinion of him right now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

That's kind of why I see him writing Wally as the focal point of all this being his "Yeah, I know I hosed up" moment.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

BrianWilly posted:

...Except that he's not writing any more books after this...so, evidently we'll have to see if whoever DC picks to helm the big Dr. Manhattan punchathon will be able to deliver on what Johns is selling here. :v:

Well, that article above has Johns saying that the confrontation with Manhattan will not be a punching thing. But then again he won't be writing it so who knows.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

https://twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/734044325206597637
https://twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/734044764987740162

Come on Rob, New Coke is a little harsh huh? It wasn't that bad.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Edge & Christian posted:

Remembering the New 52 Fallen:

Blackhawks
Savage Hawkman
Hawk & Dove
Mister Terrific
OMAC
Static Shock
GI Combat
Men of War
Star Spangled War Stories
Ravagers
Captain Atom
Resurrection Man
Trinity of Sin - Pandora
Trinity of Sin - Phantom Stranger
Trinity of SIn
Voodoo
Grifter
Team 7
Stormwatch
Threshold
Larfleeze
T.H.U.N.D.E.R. Agents
Katana
Justice League of America's Vibe
Nightforce
Sword & Sorcery
Klarion
The Green Team
The Movement
Doomed

I couldn't even tell you what half of these books were about. The only one there I'd even be interested in is Captain Atom, I always liked him but I remember not liking the writer on the book when it launched so I never read it. I forgot who it was though. Has DC completely abandoned the idea of Hawk people? I can't remember the last time I heard about them being in a comic.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Is there a full shot of that art anywhere?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Rhyno posted:

The Robin next to Nightwing does not appear to be Damian.

That's Tim, we've already seen his costume on the cover of Detective Comics. He's still Red Robin, but he's wearing the classic Tim Drake Robin costume.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr. Oz. Oh whoever could that be?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Soonmot posted:

Ffffffffffffffffggggggffffffffff

I am unreasonably and irrationally angry over this.

Google tells me this is a character that Johns himself inserted into the Superman story during his run well over a year ago. I wonder if it's a happy accident that it lines up to work with the twist or if this is something he actually planned on doing a long time ago. Apparently the only appearances of the character never really show him well and just show him monitoring Clark on giant screens.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Four Score posted:

I would pay 100 bux to change the name of BSS to gently caress SCOTT LOBDELL (FSL for short) even if it was just a week

You only say that because you think it's not possible for it to happen. When it's totally possible.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's the book Wally's going to be in. Written by Abnett so probably will be no good.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The solicit implies that all the Titans remember the pre-N52 universe as well.

quote:

Friends. Teammates. Titans. Donna Troy, Arsenal, Garth, Lilith and Nightwing were all that and more until a mysterious force erased their memories, forcing them to forget what they could accomplish together. Reunited with their memories returned, the Titans must destroy the interdimensional demon that broke them apart and threatens reality itself.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Here's Bleeding Cool trying to piece together some stuff that might tie into this big twist.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/05/24/what-else-has-geoff-johns-been-hiding-under-our-noses-the-whole-time-dc-universe-rebirth-1-spoilers/

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Because Pandora is terrible and doing away with her completely is preferable to trying to redeem the character by giving her even more importance.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

TwoPair posted:

I don't know why Rich keeps saying Mr. Oz/Ozymandias(?) "trained" Nu52 Superman. I just went back and read Johns' Superman run. Mr. Oz doesn't do poo poo except talk cryptically to screens and send Superman a black notebook at the end. I mean, it's implied that he orchestrated the events of that run, but I'd hardly call that "training", unless Lex Luthor's been training Superman since the 30s.

Well in the panel posted right there Oz says that he taught Superman.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Noted New 52 Hater Geoff Johns will be on Late Night tonight to presumably ruin Rebirth for everyone just hours before it's released.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Firestorm & Martian Manhunter are so forgettable they get completely obscured by text.

• Locked thread