Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Yay for Wally coming back.

But using the Watchmen? Goddamn, that's super lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dexie posted:

Newsarama just put up their review of the issue and gave it a 10/10. Comes in both the spoilers and no spoilers variety!

Those reviews are a lot of words that say nothing.

I also like how it says it's a return to cheerfulness and then it talks about how Pandora was murdered as a jab at the New 52.

He also says "high concept" four times. We'll see if he actually used that phrase correctly.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 03:53 on May 21, 2016

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Two Tone Shoes posted:

While not that picture specifically, the imagery of Krona looking at the creation of the universe as a giant blue hand is from JLA/Avengers when Krona kind of debuted.

lol if this means that Watchmen was actually in a crossover comic with Marvel too.

But yeah, JLU had an episode showing that hand as well.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

redbackground posted:

I love the overly-blatant "Barry was never at fault" for ruining all the pre-Flashpoint relationships. You can hear Geoff pleading through the page.

Hahaha I was just gonna say that.

Fan favorite Wally West as a puppet for Johns to tell Barry that it wasn't his fault at all!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think Alan Moore is too grumpy nowadays and his views about most modern creators are flat out wrong, but he was right on the money about Johns.

It's also super lovely for DC to do this. Let Watchmen alone. Either work out a deal with Moore or keep ripping him off by publishing the comic, but actually moving those characters into continuity is some poo poo. It will be especially poo poo if they're the ones blamed for the grimdark poo poo that DC has been into ever since Identity Crisis. But hopefully that was just a really poor reading by that terrible Newsarama guy.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

X-O posted:

Guys can we talk about the real problem here. What are we going to do with 12 Super-people and 3 Jokers. That's easily 10 and 2 too many.

Batman can't kill the Joker, but maybe he can kill the extra ones!

Why are there three Jokers anyway? Are they trying to make three origins right? Have one be like, the classic 70's one and another like the one we'll see in Suicide Squad?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dexie posted:

It's not Joker's Daughter. We have the page that shows the three Jokers.

It's...literally just three incarnations of Jokers.

Where's the page?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

quote:

There’s not one Joker – there are three. The original, Jerry Robinson Joker, the Brian Bolland Killing Joke Joker, and the Scott Snyder/Greg Capullo New 52 Joker are all separate people who have operated as the Clown Prince of Crime.

:lol:

This is dumb.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Toxxupation posted:

So wait, silver age goof troop joker, weirdo rapey joker, and joker with his face cut off are all gonna be in the same universe? Is DC not aware of the concept of tonal dissonance?

Also what's new 52 joker been up to recently? Is he at all significantly different from Killing Joke Joker?

Instead of the Joker being hyper-sane and reinventing himself over and over again, like Morrison said and which made complete sense of his character... he's actually been different people all along! Brilliant!

I bet goofy Joker gets pissed when someone blames him for shooting Barbara.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I like that they said Pandora was apparently an out if they wanted to change the New 52.

I guess all that was needed for that out was murdering her.

And murdering her is supposed to lead to more optimistic comics. Like, the disconnect there...

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Remember when Geoff Johns turned Alexander Luthor and Superboy from COIE into villains? One of which was shown tearing off limbs and brutally murdering teenage heroes on panel?

Now he's pointing the finger at other people for "missing the point" and making heroes too dark.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

So this is a thing

Wonder Woman's still thirsty for Superman, even if it's the older married Superman.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

quote:

The culprit: Doctor Manhattan, the atomically powered, almost god-like figure in Watchmen who’s more an antagonist than villain in Rebirth, Johns says. “If you’re going to have a conflict between optimism and pessimism, you need to have someone who represents a cynical view of life and also has the ability to affect this. I know it’s crazy but he felt like the right character to use.”

So I guess Johns never finished reading Watchmen or he just totally doesn't understand Dr. Manhattan or both.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Norns posted:

So you liked it before, but now it's poo poo because it ties into something you haven't read yet?

It's fair to dislike anything tied to putting the Watchmen into main continuity.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

FilthyImp posted:

DC Intern, we just figured out what to call the deboot. You've got an hour to give us header art to slap on everything!

Intern: Quick, to WordArt!

"Here, I designed the logo."

"Well that's just not fancy enough. What if we stretch it out? Oh! And then make it bulge out a little? Like a pregnant belly?"

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

See, I think the issue is that DC appears, on its face, to be blaming Watchmen and not "All the dumb motherfuckers who misread Watchmen and took the wrong lessons from it". And it's the dumb motherfuckers that are the corruptive force, so how the hell do they get to be blameless while Alan Moore becomes the vampire bleeding DC to death?

Was he dressed too provocatively? Was he asking for it?

Johns came out and said Dr. Manhattan has a cynical view of life which means he himself is a dumb motherfucker who misread Watchmen, so I doubt he's criticizing those people.

He's blaming other creators and placing himself as the harbinger of hope because he gets it and he's taking charge and making sure hope comes back!

Like, look. He wrote Wally telling Barry nothing was his fault and it's all Dr. Manhattan! So he pretty much wrote the fans (Wally) telling Johns (Barry) that the New 52 wasn't his fault, it was actually this other guy (Alan Moore)!

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

So long Kyle Rayner.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think a good question is who would feel comfortable writing the Watchmen characters? There were creators who turned down Before Watchmen.

And for as much as Morrison doesn't get along with Moore, I don't think he'd ever write those characters into a comic. Especially when he's shown he can write an effective Watchmen story without using the exact characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Robot Hobo posted:

Do they still have a beef?

I read Morrison's book Supergods a while back, which was half comic book history, and half autobiography. He admitted that in his 20s he thought Moore was awful and ruining everything, then in his 30s realized that he himself had been a self-important twat in his 20s and developed a strong respect for Moore and his work. Of course, Moore seems the type to hold a grudge, so that change of heart was likely very one-sided.

Plus, it's from 2011, so maybe there was newer drama that I missed.

As far as I know, Alan Moore still doesn't like Morrison. I think Moore hates everyone except like Neil Gaiman.

• Locked thread