Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
I also liked Rebirth, but I am a huge Wally West stan so I'm just happy he's back. My question is where all these Flashes will go - Barry has the solo book, Wally will be on the Titans, where does Black Wally go?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Madkal posted:

Finally I can join the thread. Wow, it seems a lot of people in the DC thread hate DC.

I read Rebirth and I actually enjoyed it. It seems Johns is addressing everything people hated about Nu52 (no legacy, dark for dark sake) but because it is written by Johns it must ring hollow. Or something like that.
Having Wally come back was a nice touch (remember when people were bitching about Wally being done with?) and having Barry realise that he is history's greatest monster was great too. The twist at the ending though, yikes. I know DC has been trying to figure out what to do with that property for a long time, but I'm still not sold on it being shoehorned into the DC.
Still it was nice to see a comic that embraced legacy, marriage/love/hope. I am sure goons would have liked those themes too. If it wasn't written by Johns. For DC.

The Marvel thread (and the X-thread) aren't any better - goon comics fans seem to be the type who hate everything and stick around so they can bitch. It's like wrestling fans - everything new sucks, but we're still here reading everything for some reason.

I'm not sure what people want - everyone complained about the New 52 with good reason, and this is an open and outright attempt to fix that and give people what they want, but it doesn't feel pander-y to me, it feels like DC saying "poo poo that didn't work, I guess we'll try something else". Granted, it's normal to have Editorial Fatigue at this point, and to doubt that they'll follow through intelligently, but this is at least a step in what appears to be a good direction.

Endless Mike posted:

Black Wally's on Teen Titans, which is not to be confused with Titans.

Wait, really? So if the Titans are Dick, Donna, Gnarrk, Roy, Omen, Herald, Hawk, Dove, and Garth, who's on the Teen Titans? Beast Boy, Starfire, Black Wally...Damien? Raven?

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Gaz-L posted:

Got it in one. Damien's the leader, because he just turned 13. (I assume Kory's supposed to be 19, otherwise a lot of the Conner run is super creepy)

She's got to be older than that - in order for the Red Hood and the Outlaws stuff to not be creepy she had to be 18+ when New 52 started 5 years ago. I know people don't age linearly in comics but still, she's definitely not a teenager anymore.

Even so, there has to be a couple more there. Titans has ten people in it, I imagine TT has more than 5.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Android Blues posted:

Let's be real, the Red Hood and the Outlaws stuff would have been creepy if Starfire had been a fifty year old dowager.

Well, yeah, it would, but it doesn't need an EXTRA reason why it was creepy.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Well, yeah, sports fans totally do say stuff like that, but point taken.

I guess I understand being skeptical that THIS TIME it'll work out, and I don't trust Didio & Co either, but they have seemed to change their tune this time. They've never, that I remember, been so openly contrite and "we done hosed up" as they were about New 52 in that last big press conference. And Rebirth is a better starting point than I can remember there being for fixing stuff like that, whereas with Flashpoint everyone IMMEDIATELY knew it was a bad idea, and its just taken this long for DC to get it through their heads.

Or maybe my optimism is unfounded, and everything will continue to get shittier and DC will keep spiraling the drain. I just hope that isn't the case, and so far this seems to be the right steps.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If Ted Kord is still alive does that mean Max never had that awful heel turn?

Kind of? In the sense that that whole story is not part of the New 52 history, but Convergence and all the other Crisis level events have shown that those other histories live on and existed in some sort of meta-continuity. So all that stuff still happened when it happened, it just got re-written.

But I don't think Max Lord even exists in New 52, at least not yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Norns posted:

How soon till people say this ruins Watchmen for them?

I don't know, how long did it take after the other post-Watchmen Watchmen stuff that people will forget they were mad about?

• Locked thread