Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

DC Universe Rebirth #1 bought and read. Hey thread :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Guess I'll post in this thread before spoilers become okay in the main one.

Dr Fate has me curious.
The current solo comic is being published as is through at least as much of Rebirth as has been solicited (one of the only series to not be cancelled for June-August.) The kid Fate star of that comic has just met old man Kent Nelson as a civilian, who is obviously going to go into the old man JSA, but the kid wasn't seen at all in this comic, unlike just about every other replacement N52er getting their new legacy buddy pair shown off.
That's fine and all since it's probably one of the weaker selling DCYou comics, but it's totally weird that they didn't just cap it at #12 and hand the role off.

Dr Fate is a sweet little low key comic with fantastic art, so I'm all for them letting it ride through this for whatever reason. I just have no idea why they would when the plans don't seem too interested in the main character.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

glitchwraith posted:

anything could be good with a good enough creative team, I just don't know if DC's current stable could manage it.

With Tom King, Snyder, Morrison and Rucka working there? Yeah. Pretty weak.
I mean, for events, they're no Nick Spencer or anything.

e: With the whole 'it's a darker, more cynical world' thing. I feel sorry for all the babies they're throwing out with the bathwater.
If I was Greg Pak and Aaron Kuder, I'd go "What? We were chopped liver? Sorry for even trying."
I know it's stronger to make a definitive statement than be wishy washy about it, but the only thing new that seemed to satisfy the icon of a past era being something from the last Flash run is HILARIOUS!

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:50 on May 25, 2016

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

glitchwraith posted:

Scott Lobdell has as much chance of writing Dr. Manhattan as Morrison or Rucka as far as we know. Suffice to say, I am not filled with confidence.

I really doubt that. We'll still hear about him a lot in the DC thread because of DT, but dude has such a smaller footprint now. He didn't even get to be much of a part of the first Superman event after Pak and Soule jumped on Super comics.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

But I don't think Max Lord even exists in New 52, at least not yet.

He's head of Checkmate right now. He emerged again in the last couple of months. I can't quite remember what comic it was.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

JoshTheStampede posted:

I don't know, how long did it take after the other post-Watchmen Watchmen stuff that people will forget they were mad about?

Prompted by his Comixology sale, someone in the Neogaf comics thread was hating on Darwyn Cooke for it just a day or two before before it came out that he was dying.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Before Watchmen was genuinely bad even if good creatives were involved with it.

Maybe, but dude was REALLY hating. Calling him a piece of poo poo, so I guess the hurt still exists for some people.
I hope he didn't feel too bad about it a few days later :shobon:

ImpAtom posted:

The Cooke Before Watchmen Minutemen book had some stuff which some people considered extremely offensive especially when it came to its portrayal of homosexuals. You're free to make an argument if it was/wasn't but if someone read the book that way then I can understand why they'd actually think that.

I'm not arguing for it, just giving an example of someone still hanging on to Before Watchmen resentment.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 20:53 on May 25, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

The Cooke Before Watchmen Minutemen book had some stuff which some people considered extremely offensive especially when it came to its portrayal of homosexuals. You're free to make an argument if it was/wasn't but if someone read the book that way then I can understand why they'd actually think that.

I'm not arguing for it, just giving an example of someone I recently saw still hanging on to Before Watchmen resentment.

Endless Mike posted:

Morrison has nothing announced at all and the remaining three can't write an entire line of comics, no matter how optimistic you are. (Well, okay, they could, but it would either be a really small line or a really bad one.)

Morrison himself announced upcoming DC projects Multiversity Too, Batman Black and White and more WW Earth One, so as far as we know, he's still working there.
Anyway, the quote was "anything could be good with a good enough creative team, I just don't know if DC's current stable could manage it."
I'm imagining their entire talent roster wont be dedicated to making The Watchmen in DC work (or I hope not.)

• Locked thread