Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Problem description: My laptop keeps grinding to a halt, with programs going all "not responding" or just going super slowly. After a couple minutes, it goes back to normal. If I manage to open Task Manager during this, it says my Disk usage is at 100% percent. But all the programs listed are at 0 MB/s. It started doing this maybe a week ago, at first just every now and then, but more and more frequently for longer and longer times. It's been doing it for half an hour right now.
edit:I have more information! My hard drive is partitioned, and it only does the 100% usage thing when I'm trying to look at or access files stored on the drive labeled D, which is where I store files, my C drive having all my installed programs and such

Attempted fixes: I googled and found suggestions to turn off notifications and turn off something called Super Fetch, and turn off something Called Background Intelligent Transfer Sevice. Which I did. It did not work

Recent changes: none

--

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Enterprise 64-bit

System specs: It's a Acer laptop. Processor is a Intel(R) Core (TM) i7-3537U CPU @ 2.00GHz 2.30 GHz

I have Googled and read the FAQ: As I said, I have googled. But I didn't see a thread with FAQ in the title or a link to a FAQ in either of the stickied threads, so I haven't done that

edit: added the part about turning off Background Intelligent Transfer Service

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 21, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Run the portable (ZIP) version of Crystal Disk Info and post a screenshot of the results page.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I have more information! My hard drive is partitioned, and it only does the 100% usage thing when I'm trying to look at or access files stored on the drive labeled D, which is where I store files, my C drive having all my installed programs and such

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Run the portable (ZIP) version of Crystal Disk Info and post a screenshot of the results page.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

It looks like your hard drive is failing, and the problem parts of the drive are probably on the area used by that partition. You should look at replacing that drive before it completely stops working.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Thanks for your help!

well, poo poo.

Fruit Smoothies
Mar 28, 2004

The bat with a ZING
It's worth replacing it with a solid state drive. There's a whole thread talking about them

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Fruit Smoothies posted:

It's worth replacing it with a solid state drive. There's a whole thread talking about them

Don't those last even less time?

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

boom boom boom posted:

Especially in a laptop I'd actually expect an SSD to last longer, and they also have the benefits of being more energy efficient and producing less heat as well as being lighter and faster than a mechanical HDD.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

boom boom boom posted:

If you buy a cheap junky one with terrible reviews, yes. If you buy a nice quality SSD it's likely to fail less frequently as there aren't moving parts to degrade over time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

boom boom boom posted:

Actually no, unless you put the cheapest possible consumer drive in a datacenter that rewrites all data on it every two hours.

Even heavier realistic consumer use cases will take decades to wear out SSDs.

• Locked thread