Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Either way they're just waving a little flashlight thing around you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

Either way they're just waving a little flashlight thing around you.

At your bits and parts.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Phlox was great in the orville

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

With Phlox I couldn't shake the idea he's just trying to figure out how this alien species in front of him works, but then that also goes for Bashir.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Mx. posted:

Phlox was great in the orville

Phlox was great in SG-1 lol

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
I'd bang Phlox's wife, she seemed really nice

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Tighclops posted:

I'd bang Phlox's wife, she seemed really nice

Which one?

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

The EMH and Phlox were both good in both Stargate and The Orville

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

The EMH and Phlox were both good in both Stargate and The Orville

I loved to hate him even more on Sg1/SGA than Voyager.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

redshirt posted:

Phlox as your gynecologist....

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I bet Phlox could have cured M'Benga's daughter despite coming from a generation earlier.

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
shameful list not including Commander T'ana MD

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

It’s funny how they toned down his gigantic smile early on in the series. Fwiw, he’s practicing medicine with tech way way more primitive than what we see on other series too.

EMH after years in the Delta would be my choice when things are real bad. Dude created miracles.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

redshirt posted:

Be honest: Would you rather Pulaski give you a full body check up, or an alien like Phlox?

Phlox in a heartbeat. Pulaski wouldn't even sterilize her hands and she'd just say my name wrong or something.

Phlox would fix my problem with a critter, and let me pet it.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Are there any Klingon doctors?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Outpost22 posted:

Yup! They're the reason why Klingons spent a few years without head ridges

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

There are prob like Bavarian style Klingons, people they think look and talk funny from different parts of Qo'noS. They have like their version of Swedes. Humans will look at and hear these Klingons and think they just sound the same, but in reality to Klingons they sound like Dutch people.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

There's no Klingon doctors. Mad (as in angry) scientists, yes, but Klingon medicine is based on either yelling at you to suck it up, or stabbing you.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

redshirt posted:

My gosh, is the EMH the best Trek doctor?

lmbo

Yes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Only place he comes up short is bedside manner and that's just cause of who he was scanned from

Actual Satan
Mar 14, 2017

Keep on partying!

You'll NEVER regret it!

Trust ME!

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

A lot of the doctors are undercut by the writers having really dumb ideas about medical ethics like when Phlox dooms that one race to die or whatever because that's the natural course of evolution or some dumb poo poo as if evolution is conscious and has some plan and always makes deliberate decisions instead of the reality where species often evolve in insanely dumb ways because of some niche environmental circumstances.

But in Star Trek, evolution is actually guided by advanced beings and the environment plays no part in it, hence why you can ask the computer to show you the endpoint of millions of years of dino evolution and it can do it no problem. Also, individuals can evolve and carry the entire genetic code of all past forms, and you can switch between them easily. Also humans will evolve into salamanders.

So maybe you should listen to your doctor when he tells you to genocide.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Phlox in a heartbeat. Pulaski wouldn't even sterilize her hands and she'd just say my name wrong or something.

Phlox would fix my problem with a critter, and let me pet it.

Pulaski's diagnosis: It's fine, toughen up, rub some dirt on it.

*smokes space cigarette

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Actual Satan posted:

But in Star Trek, evolution is actually guided by advanced beings and the environment plays no part in it, hence why you can ask the computer to show you the endpoint of millions of years of dino evolution and it can do it no problem. Also, individuals can evolve and carry the entire genetic code of all past forms, and you can switch between them easily. Also humans will evolve into salamanders.

So maybe you should listen to your doctor when he tells you to genocide.

Captain Archer: "I can't argue with that."

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get Ready for Price Time , Bitch

It never made sense to me that Phlox would be their doctor. I actually forget the.reason he.was selected

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Hollismason posted:

It never made sense to me that Phlox would be their doctor. I actually forget the.reason he.was selected

He was from the doctor exchange program and only one in the payroll with any idea on how to treat diseases or maladies which they might encounter outside the slowly expanding bubble of Warp 3 capable ships the entire humanity was living in.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Der Kyhe posted:

He was from the doctor exchange program and only one in the payroll with any idea on how to treat diseases or maladies which they might encounter outside the slowly expanding bubble of Warp 3 capable ships the entire humanity was living in.

I feel bad for whatever alien ship got a human doctor in return.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Is it a good idea to exchange doctors when you have one doctor?

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

davidspackage posted:

Is it a good idea to exchange doctors when you have one doctor?

Well, the Vulcan's kept saying that humans aren't ready for their little exploration trip.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The exchange program was planet to planet, some human doctors got to go to Denobula and learn from them, while Phlox came to Earth. They brought him along on Enterprise initially because he was the only person who knew anything medical about the Klingon they were delivering to Qo'nos during the pilot episode.

But yeah they really should've maybe had a second doctor.

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
What's the exchange rate for human doctors?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

I feel bad for whatever alien ship got a human doctor in return.

*Pulaski descendant:

It's a dry tentacle, you'll be fine, just rub some Oxma on it

*smokes space cigarette

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

redshirt posted:

*Pulaski descendant:

It's a dry tentacle, you'll be fine, just rub some Oxma on it

*smokes space cigarette

In TNG was Pulaski a time traveler from the past, or in ENT would the Pulaski descendant be a time traveler from the future?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Gutcruncher posted:

In TNG was Pulaski a time traveler from the past, or in ENT would the Pulaski descendant be a time traveler from the future?

*smokes space cigarette

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Imagine the lucky soul who got placed on the let's just gently caress planet for the exchange program. Especially if it was a dude as apparently Denobulan ladies know how to throw that leg.

E: I guess that means Phlox was probably thinking what a buttoned up boring culture this is. He did like movie night though.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Big rear end On Fire posted:

E: I guess that means Phlox was probably thinking what a buttoned up boring culture this is. He did like movie night though.

On Earth you just gotta know the right places to go.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

*adjusts space tie

Space Jam
Jul 22, 2008

why would smoking be still such a big deal? you could just go to phlox and be like “i got loving lung cancer again” and it’s an easy fix

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

MikeJF posted:

The exchange program was planet to planet, some human doctors got to go to Denobula and learn from them, while Phlox came to Earth. They brought him along on Enterprise initially because he was the only person who knew anything medical about the Klingon they were delivering to Qo'nos during the pilot episode.

But yeah they really should've maybe had a second doctor.

They had a couple assistants, and sort of an understudy with Crewman Cutler.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Outpost22 posted:

Their medical tech is top notch, best in category when it comes to disguising klingons as other species. Which seems odd when they aren't otherwise known for a focus on espionage or medicine.

There has to be some kind of medical establishment. But we can assume it isn't a prestigious career in the time periods we see on screen. So you have a job that is very complex and demanding, but without much incentive for anyone to do the work to become a good doctor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Their medical tech is top notch, best in category when it comes to disguising klingons as other species. Which seems odd when they aren't otherwise known for a focus on espionage or medicine.

There has to be some kind of medical establishment. But we can assume it isn't a prestigious career in the time periods we see on screen. So you have a job that is very complex and demanding, but without much incentive for anyone to do the work to become a good doctor.

Klingons are hypocrites to their core (when it comes to Klingon traditions and legends; I do believe MOST of them do highly value honor and one's word and such).

So there's no doubt hyper competitive Klingon medical schools but they make it seem like it's a warrior thing.