Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd post a lot more in this thread but I am afraid of SNW spoilers, hence....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

alexandriao posted:

What exactly would happen if Julian just said no to Section 31 lmao. They cant do poo poo officially, and unofficially idk if they would even bother the risk of exposure that comes with attacking a Starfleet officer

Julian was already highly compromised. They could have made him do anything.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I have a "head cannon" backstory that the real reason the Vulcans became so interested in humanity was to eventually use them as their warriors in matters dealing with the Klingons and especially Romulans.

Don't want to get their hands dirty, so they outsourced it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

hard agree and there are some really good episode ideas to explore there imo

Give me an episode or 2 as examples.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Isn't that pretty much implied by ENT? The Vulcans are really worried that these idiots did in a century what they did in a millennium and they were sandbagging our attempts to get Warp 5 engine and go outside without their consent.

I felt that was more like an over-protective parent response, not a "lets gear these humans up so they can fight the Romulans for us".

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CainFortea posted:

The first episode is them first even learning about Klingons. And like, they knew they were needing more ships, but you can also get more coverage by having faster ships. Warp speed isn't linear.

Warp 3 is only about 27c, which means it takes 2 months just to get to Alpha Centauri, our nearest stellar neighbor. The boomers are going like warp 2, which is significantly slower sure, but that means a warp 3 naval ship has to have cruise durations of years as well, since they'll have to go back and forth. And they can't really respond to anything. Focusing on Warp 5 means125c speeds, so it's like 5 times faster.

It's pretty amazing that even with fictional warp technology, Trek takes place in a pretty small little corner of the galaxy. Except for Voyager of course.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Another Bill posted:

Its because that's the way the founders want it, my child

Go back to the Gamma Quadrant shapeshifter!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Remember when Captain Jellico showed up and got the Enterprise promptly in order?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

Was the episode where the devil shows up to that planet one of the recycled scripts because it always felt like a TOS episode in TNG.

The P'agh Wraith?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Imagine granting Neelix authority over your foodservices.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Imagine Odo becoming waves and waves of cum

He turned into a cloud in S7 and Kira acted as if it was orgasmic....

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

See, the fun part is once you get past the comic relief Irish stereotypes you get highlights like:

- Riker and Pulaski being cloned without their consent.
- Riker and Pulaski then promptly phasering the gently caress out of their in-development clones with little to no discussion of the ethical ramifications beyond "hey gently caress you for trying to clone us without consent!"
- The episode ending with Picard smirking about how the stuffy clone-obsessed aesexuals are just gonna have to learn to bone down with the Irish sterotypes, teehee. :barf:

O'brien living 30 years of brutal prison

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

McSpanky posted:

Is it bestiality if it's a changeling? These are the hard-hitting questions that only DS9 is courageous enough to ask

I checked the rules. Nope. Anything goes if it's with a changeling.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I watched the first season of SNW and my gosh I fell in love with the Captain's ski chalet and his dinner parties. Also the mess hall. The whole ship is stunningly gorgeous.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

There's already an extensive canon of literature covering that.

Link please

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

an episode told entirely from a non-human perspective would be fun (ds9 did a couple of these) where it’s shown how say vulcans see the human captain stereotype of loud charismatic leader as a kind of useful idiot who takes the heat off them while they actually run things from the background

the same way humans see Vulcans as weirdly serious nerds who are good at science

off topic but I read somewhere that when house cats feel they are the dominant one they lick/groom others, but with rabbits the dominant one is the one that gets groomed, and for that reason cats and rabbits as pets can get along really well because they both feel like they are getting the better deal out of the relationship

I’d like to watch humans and vulcans lick each other is what I’m saying

Relatedly, one of my favorite DS9 episodes is when that Vulcan captain of an all Vulcan ship shows up and challenges Sisko to a baseball game.

And absolutely smokes DS9.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

alexandriao posted:

Do you think when Kira kissed Odo she got like a skin flake caught in her lips lmfao

She never kissed him when he had flaky disease. Source: I just watched season 7 a few weeks ago.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

alexandriao posted:

I literally watched her do that 10 minutes ago and i will edit this with a screenshot after ive returned from dumping my main reactor and plasma coolant

I stand corrected.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

There it is.

Hot flaky Odo Action.

Remember Flaky Puffs?

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Outpost22 posted:

Odo & Kira never made sense, yeah I said it.

Kira and Worf made more sense

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

dr_rat posted:

Also there was that whole thing about odo being a not reallt reformed fascist, and collaborator.

Would of thought Kira would of had bit more of a problem with that.

Kira being the number one Bajoran terrorist, just all cool with a Founder...

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I mean Kira birthed Myles's child!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

"Flaky Changeling"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Facebook Aunt posted:

Didn't they explicitly say Bajorans were cool with Odo because he tried to find the actual criminal, rather than simply punishing a dozen random bajorans whenever something went wrong. That's why they kept him on as head of station security instead of appointing a Bajoran or letting starfleet completely take over security. If the resistance hated him he would have never gotten the job.

Imagine keeping the same head of Security once you taker over the Occupier's Spacestation.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Also

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

MikeJF posted:

If you do want to fanwank it, we know that there was a lot of chaos after the withdrawal, probably a whole bunch of vying for power and different groups claiming to be in charge. I imagine Odo was just kinda neutrally holding the fort on ex-Terok Nor and enforcing basic law while a bunch of different groups fought about it and nobody was actually in a place to replace him. I can see how they'd all just end up letting him keep on doing his thing in the chaos and then he was basically established when Starfleet and Kira were given the station.

That's pretty realistic.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Odo is highly problematic.

Now Quark, there's a man with a clean conscience.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CaptainSkinny posted:

You're telling me that Odo's dossier said that he was appointed by Gul Dukat and both the Bajorans and the Federation signed off on him? The guy has dirt on someone for sure.

Imagine keeping a Changeling as head of Security during war against the Changelings. Who have proven over and over how sneaky and tricksy they can be.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

DaveWoo posted:

Yeah, let's use this Eddington guy instead, he seems on the up-and-up

He reads classic literature! Surely he can be trusted.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Also, that rear end in a top hat Changeling Odo befriended who killed a Klingon on the Promenade. Swept under the rug.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

God I loved Kira. Such a badass. That said, she should never have served on the Defiant in any official capacity.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Hollismason posted:

I liked all the episodes where people from Kiras past show up and then she's like " Whoops yea we.killed some folks"

lol in season 7 when she's leading the Cardassian resistance movement and that one guy is constantly like "whoa now, that's a bridge too far!"

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I'd blow up a Cardassian transport for her.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

I have obtained "The Jacket" by the way. And coupled with my TNG Captain shirt I am ready for a Comic Con!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Cthulu Carl posted:

Day what you will about the tenets of the Rules of Acquisition, but at least it's an ethos.

Rule 10: Greed is eternal

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

naem posted:

Kira Die Hard’s, in spaaaace

"Come to the Federation, we'll have some laughs...."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Another Bill posted:

I've never seen this picture thank you it's awesome

You're welcome. I love that it looks like Bones is deep in a conversation with a NASA administrator.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Speaking of DS9, it's interesting that Nog got a huge character arc, whereas Jake went nowhere. And Jake was a seven season regular!

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dabir posted:

Jake got development!

Do tell. He became a writer, and had a "should I go to the elite writer school" dilemma episode.

There was also the episode when the Dominion had taken over DS9 and he worked to undermine them, using his writer powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Dabir posted:

It's ok to have characters that don't have massive amounts of development. There was some. He grew and changed a bit as the show went on

For sure. But he was a 7 season Main Intro character. Usually the show was about them, because they were the main actors.

But on DS9, there are a ton of side characters with bigger arcs thank Jake. All the Ferengi. Leela. Cassidy. Etc.