Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Which Voyager writer was the worst?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Frank Langella every time.
He needs more work.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

shadow puppet of a posted:

Ok, ok. Some good answers here.

Now.

You have to choose which Kai you'd choose to gently caress. Opaka or Winn.

And no, it cant be a holy threesome with Bareil or an Orb.

Nurse Rachett.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

poo poo like this is why TMP is the best Trek movie. The whole movie is equal parts "genuinely terrifying" and "genuinely beautiful".

Watch it while you're high :ssh:

It just makes me think of that pig animal in Galaxy Quest.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Blistex posted:

By far the best Star Trek movie.

Third best. But better than the new ones or any of the TNG ones.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

"Dramatis Personae" when Sisko becomes a crazy clock maker, is attacked by a rando Bajoran sent by Kira and O'Brien's first instinct is to backhand Dax.

Yeah, Season 1 of DS9 really sucks.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

serious post though, TOS had some gorgeous guest stars so at least Gene had good taste

Best was Marina HIll from that episode where that mad scientist tries to brainwash Kirk. Fallowed by Barbara Bouchet in that Andromeda galaxy episode.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Into Darkness should have been a remake of "Where No Man has Gone Before."

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The General posted:

Ishara has the most perfect Android 18 year.

As for trek hotties, Sito Jaxa and Amanda Rogers.

Give me Ensign Robin Lefler as well. For DS9 Ezri, Arandis and the energy character Salli Richardson played.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Jun 9, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Cthulu Carl posted:

Watching the DS9 episode where people start having their imaginations manifest and Quark gets some babes, Sisko gets a baseball player he was a fan of, Bashir gets Slutty Jadzia, and O'Brien gets fuckin' Rumpelstiltskin.

Also baseball has been an extinct sport for 200 years because no one gave a poo poo about it so maybe the future isn't all bad.

Really that alone proves star trek is a utopia to strive for.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Best looking phasers are the tos and movie pistols.

They actually have a trigger.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Isn't the grip supposed to be an add on to the little phaser

I think the onesfor TNG were. They sucked.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
When I was five I told my parents I wanted star wars toys foor Christmas. They told my relatives who lived in Michigan Star Trek and I got a type 1 phaser, and O brien as toys.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

how are the bugs more expensive than the borg? Wasn't it basically the gauold or whatever from stargate?

THIS STARFLEET DUDE HAS AN ALIEN INSIDE OF HIM!?! doesn't seem like it would take much in the way of SFX.

I think it had to do something with needing a whole bunch of puppets. Also yes having an Obrien action figure did suck, and being the little bratty bastard I was I made it very clear how wrong my relatives were. Well except for my Cousins at the time husband to be. Who got me this because he knew my Aunts and Uncles were wrong.

Which would lead to me getting all but two of the micromachine sets and half the action fleet.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Blistex posted:

She likes to keep fit.

:flashfap:

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

AugmentedVision posted:

Porthos caused a diplomatic dispute that posed a risk to their ability to trade for spare parts, which posed a risk to their mission to save Earth, which posed a risk to all of humanity

That episode made me give up on Enterprise.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Turbo lifts were just fast elevators right?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Typical Pubbie posted:

Turbo lifts remain stationary while the ship moves around them.

:psyduck: how does that even work?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Hector Beerlioz posted:

Yeah, had a great time tho.

Oh, and the ear bug from star trek 2.

Ear bug things were great as a child for me because it made me realize where KA Applegate got the idea for the bad guys in Animorphs.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
What was seaquest?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
But I hate stuff with dolphins.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Wasn't Winnie from the Wonder Years in that?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Sten Freak posted:

Anyone grew up with an older brother who was into all this stuff probably had an experience like mine-
There's a new Trek coming out. The ship is far away from Federation space so they have to do whatever it takes to get back!
There's a new Trek coming out! It takes place before the original series so tech like the transporter is new and untrusted!
Got it with SW too- prequels! Young Yoda who fights!

So much disappointment.

Well the latter two are my experience. I only got to see the last season of Voyager when it was still on.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The Sphinxster posted:

It was weird when they just started bolting Larry Niven poo poo on there.

Oh yeah, uhh there are Kziniti and check out this weird ancient futuristic tech!

I heard they were going to bring them on to the planned fifth season of Enterprise.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Jun 10, 2016

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

cheerfullydrab posted:

Why didn't anyone try to get Nagilum to help out during the Dominion War? Things got pretty desperate and the Federation almost lost, there's got to be some way somebody could have at least tried to sell Nagilum on helping them out as some kind of research experiment.

Nagillum creeped me out for some reason when I first saw that episode when I was 11. The face just looked so weird.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Bajorans are NOT Space Jews. They have no industry, they have no worthwhile food, their culture pervades nowhere and is the foundation of no other cultures. Please don't be so offensive.

Bajor's own mis-management of Bajor is not akin to a Genocide. The Cardassians tried to save the Bajorans and when they had enough of the suicide bombings of their industrial works projects designed to stop the famine and left, Bajor went out and founded an indefensible New Bajor colony across the worm hole, in the middle of another year of crop failure on the homeworld mind you, that was wiped out allegedly by the Jem'Hadar, but you and I both know New Bajor got caught up in another fevered season of prayer and not planting so it was a New Famine on New Bajor that claimed them.

Bajorians are space Palies.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

truly the darkest GREATEST timeline

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

happyhippy posted:

She should have gotten pregnant on the ship, Chakotay's, and is found out only by the Doctor doing a scan of the baby. It would be even more shocking, going from intimate lover to self serving traitor.
But no, she did the dirty with a Kazon instead of just loving taking a copy of Voyager's science library and becoming the Stephanie Jobs of the Delta Quadrant selling tech.

Wasn't it originally suppose to be Chakotays child? Like his by actual conception, but then the writers thought that created to much "conflict".

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

insurrection:

"My chief engineer literally re-grew his optic nerves and eyeballs, why can't the Son'a just park in orbit (let alone maybe settle on the whole other side of the planet (what the hell stopped them from doing this decades ago???)) and reap the benefits of this space magic?"
"uhhhhh because reasons. shut up, go gently caress kiss hold hands with your 300+ y.o. girlfriend"

"geordi, we need more impulse speeds!"
"but dude we'll totally blow the intake manifolds (??????????)"
"just do it!!"
*nothing bad happens, the "intake manifolds" are never mentioned again*

"sir, two Son'a starships are attacking us. shall we engage them with our high-energy particle beams and antimatter-warhead missiles?"
"nah, that's boring/too expensive/too similar to Wrath of Khan. let's just lay a big space fart and detonate it in their faces."

"hey, salieri, since we're already planning on destroying a federation starship to eliminate the witnesses, do we really need to bother with hunting them down on the planet?"
"yes. please continue to waste time and resources on this endeavor so i can gloat over them, despite the fact that i was previously pushing to totally disregard their lives and just let them burn to death on the planet following our super-technobullshit plan."

"yo admiral isn't it kind of a colossal waste to do a one-time finite extraction of the magical fountain-of-youth particles when we ought to be building orbital resorts that can be used indefinitely? especially when doing it that way would negate any need to work with these loving assholes or interfere with the hippie white people commune on the surface?"
"uhhhhhhhhhhhh"

why are all the baku so incredibly white

why is it so hard for the son'a to loving find and deal with a few thousand people on foot? send some shuttles down and hose them down with phasers on stun, or knockout gas, or even holy poo poo just land like a few dozen dudes who can overwhelm a few starfleet dudes and dudettes?

why is michael piller writing this folksy "well gee when you build machines to do work you diminish yourself in the process" bullshit in a loving STAR TREK

why is piller writing in a small child for Data to intimidate??

I'll remind you all that Piller was behind most of the magical Indian bs with Chakotay.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

i thought that was because they hired a charlatan as their advisor on native american stuff

Well that as well. But Piller bought it hook line and sinker. Being that he really liked hippy dippy bullshit.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Cthulu Carl posted:

I'm watching the DS9 episodes where Sisko, Dax and Bashir get beamed back to the 21st century for the riots or whatever.

I remember thinking the first time I saw this "LOL, there's no way any of this would happen by 2024, things are going so great!"

Now I'm like "Unemployment ghettos and labor riots is a really optimistic portrayal of the US in eight years."

I know there are talk radio types that actually advocate something like the Sanctuary districts.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

oldpainless posted:

Good thing Rom never introduced Sisko to his other son, Nig

You need to sharpen that edge.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I got 5 episodes into Farscape before I had to quit. I like the concept and I'm all for Henson Co. puppetry, but it just didn't click with me. The only episode I liked was the reverse ET episode.

I love that episode. Also I liked the episode with the ET looking creature thats in the ship.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah I'd defintley say that the show was an acquired taste. I actually hated it when I tried watching it when I was fifteen and then it was only later that I gave it a second chance.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Blistex posted:

Three different people have tried to get me to watch Dr. Who, and each one showed me their idea of "a great episode that will get you hooked". They were all bad, and two of the episodes had that doctor that looks like Odo's ugly younger brother.

I like some of the David Tennet stuff, and good old Tom Baker. But the rest isn't that good.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

now imagine you're just coming off of seven years of painfully mediocre/lovely Voyager episodes, the producers have been swearing up and down for months that Enterprise is going to be soooooo different and so much better... and you've just finished watching this turd. oh look, they took their normal scripts and did a find-replace where they replaced "shields" with "hull plating", that's... something.

i immediately gave up on the series right there and then. i remember a couple years on people saying "oh the series started to get okay" and i still wanted absolutely nothing to do with the show because of how incredibly burned i felt over the first episode. fool me once... shame on... shame on you... you fool me can't get fooled again!

and then nemesis came out the next year :gonk:

It was Nemesis which me and my best friend saw in a theater with maybe six others in it, fallowed by a Night in Sickbay that made me go. "gently caress this".

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy
I remember reading that Rick Berman really had a thing against showing gay characters on the shows does anyone know if this is true?

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Volcott posted:

Who are the badguys in the new movie? They original?

I hope their the Gorn.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

:frogout:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Milky Moor posted:

if you don't like space captain tron then you can get the gently caress out

Also I enjoy the G'Kar and Londo, plus anything with Bester. Alsowho cant enjoy a little bit of Mr. Morden?

I was wondering but how lovely is the Prometheus episode I have never seen it. (In fact I am pretty sure its one of the few episodes of Voyager I never saw).

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 8, 2016