Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Hey thread I love TOS and have never been able to get through the first season of TNG. Is there a "best of" list that recommends the top 100 episodes or so anyone of you would recommend?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

This isn't Battlestar Galac- oh, you said aging, not cancer, never mind!

Sounds like I made the right choice to stop watching that show after the second season.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Watching TOS just finished "The Corbomite Maneuver" and I was pretty deeply disturbed by that child actor at the end.

Anyway, I've heard that the series was aired in a different order than it was shot, and that there is some weirdness with continuity and character arcs as a result. Does anyone know what the proper view order is?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

As freaky as his appearance was, I have to say his voice was incredibly well developed though.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

:thejoke:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

anyone have any good ideas for star-trek themed cocktails and/or appetizers?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

CaptainSkinny posted:

They could easily do the Star Trek: Number One series. Give her command over her own ship. Make her the non-grimdark captain needed. No need for continuity checks as she's a completely blank slate after leaving the Enterprise. Have Pike show up once in a while as the mentor. It's the Star Trek everyone could love.

I'm playing the Star Trek TTRPG and she's our captain. Our ship is the USS Jane Goodall.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bobby Deluxe posted:

just watching tos 2x16, the gamesters of triskelion, several things:

rehashing of the cage, noice

spock is a hilarious bitch to mccoy

- "i thought hope was a human failing?"
- "when one spends enough time around humans, some... contamination is inevitable."

fucks sake, nobody is using any of those weapons properly

reyyy, fat elvis

BWOIOIOING hello i am creepy thrall guy

well theres a casual rape attempt, jesus

"what is... love?" trope in its purest form

the shat clearly did not require a girdle at this point

WHAT THE gently caress KIRK just punches her out literally straight after she says she loves him

ah, the ol brain in a jar

LOOK OUT KIRK HE HAS A NET

Just watched that episode as well and drat, Uhura really gets treated like garbage and literally raped

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Hey what's the thread consensus, did Shatner kill his wife?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

They should have kept doing that. Every animal is just its Earth variant with a horn.

In short, you're hired for my series creature makeup department.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Brawnfire posted:

Just clarifying, when I said they should have "kept" doing that, this dog is the original I implied.

That's an Alpha 177 canine-like organism not a dog

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Bottle on the left looks more like a spirits bottle, but eh

https://www.startrek.com/news/picard-wine-bordeaux-sirah

Apparently there's been an actual Chateau Picard winery in France for decades already :lol:

So they got rid of Appellation controls in the future?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bobby Deluxe posted:

4 episodes into s3 and kirk is now regularly going full shat

I'm most of the way through S2 but isn't S3 supposed to be the worst season?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Is that the lava creature Spock mind melds with?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Gutcruncher posted:

Yes the holodeck runs on another power thing that’s incompatible with the rest of the ship, thus the excuse to have holodeck adventures.

In a later episode they shut off the holodeck because they needed the power.

It was never explained that they managed to tie the holodeck power to the rest of the grid, nor did they stop having lovely holodeck episodes

holodeck is on 230v / 50hz rest of the ship is on 120v/60hz (there was a mixup during the requisitioning process)

there's a big transformer that cost more than the entire holodeck to make them compatible

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Kanine posted:

so which star trek characters can we agree on as being bi/pansexual

im thinking bashir, riker, kirk who else?

There's no way Kirk/Spock didn't get weird

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Do y'all think Ethan Phillips regrets getting his MFA?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Yesteryear really is a great episode even if it's basically just a Newbury Medal story but with Spock. It basically centres around how Vulcans aren't robots, and they actually value empathy very strongly. Also, they've domesticated giant bear-wolves into affectionate lapdogs.

Vulcans not having emotions always came across as something Vulcans claimed but isn't actually true to me. Getting super pissed is an emotional reaction and they do that poo poo all the time.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Accidentally posted this on the Disco thread but:

finally was able to sit through all of TNG's pilot tonight. laughed my rear end off when the guy with the long hair appeared to be vaporized right in front of Riker. I really hate Wesley so far. Troy (sp?) seems to only be capable of giving us information we've already learned like10-15 seconds before. Costumes were kind of poo poo but maybe I'm supposed to be laughing at Q the whole time idk.

So far it seems a lot like a Star Trek though so i'm down for more.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Bobby Deluxe posted:

tng starts off ok and then gets good once riker grows a beard

some of season 1 is hilariously bad, some of it is ok, a few episodes are actually good

some of it, like code of honor, should never be spoken of again

with that in mind, is there a truncated episode list anyone would recommend for s01?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Watching The Naked Now right now. Definitely gonna be a Roddenberry sex pervert situation eh? I agree with the poster who said Data was conceived as more organic early on. "I'm referenced in several bio-mechanical textbooks".

edit: this is deeply weird. Yara is coming onto Data an talking about being abandoned at age five, learning to "avoid the rape gangs" etc.

I feel like Dr. Crusher hosed up pretty bad allowing this to spread to everyone.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Jan 12, 2020

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i just cannot believe this was the episode that immediately follows the pilot how the hell

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

working my way through season one. it's kinda hosed up that there are so many children on the ship, right?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Quiet Enable posted:

Basically this. Same reason Riker always gets them to play poker even though there is zero financial risk, and therefore a kinda pointless waste of time.

Gotta get those all important 24th Century bragging rights.

Poker is so loving boring when there is no money involved.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I just got to the episode where Lt. Yar gets killed. Wtf? What a pointless death for a half decent character.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i'm looking through Maurice Hurley's credits and these are not my favorite episodes. Reading the synopsis of "the child" does not sound great either.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

ultrabindu posted:

It carried on all the way through until Enterprise according to some accounts. Rick Berman allegedly wanted to know the bust measurements of all the women cast and if they didnt fit his idea of the correct proportions made them go get fitted for padded bras.

it looks like pretty much all of them are wearing padded bras in TNG. I've only watched the first season so far, but it has been pretty horny with the plots overall .

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

HD DAD posted:

I seem to remember some footage somewhere of Marina Sirtis going through the costume department and showing off how padded her uniform was. Lol

https://youtu.be/W0XE60K0QA8

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

its pretty hosed up how often the holodeck accidentally produces a sentient being who then has to be shut down

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

did the computer give data this comedian to teach him about comedy wrong on purpose, as a joke?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

If data needed a fancy positronic brain to be a person what the gently caress is up with the ships computer that it regularly is able to create life??? Does the enterprise have a brain?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Applewhite posted:

It's got a computer core with 200 teraquads worth of processing power. It can run Witcher III on ultra settings with zero framerate loss.

WITH hair enabled????

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

klingon 1st officers are expected to kill their captain? klingon ships must be so poorly run

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

No Shatner?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

numberoneposter posted:

how about unlicensed fiction?

wait is this what Cracked was before the internet

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

nostalgia ex machina

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the doctor is season 2 of TNG really reminds me of Bones. anyone else get that?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

just watched TNG S03E06: Booby Trap. What am I supposed to take away from this? Geordi couldn't get laid so he created a hologram waifu instead of just focusing on resolving the LIFE THREATENING situation they were in?

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I feel like Geordi shouldn't be going through Barclay's Holodeck history. Obviously Barclay shouldn't be loving simulations of his coworkers and fantasizing about murdering his bosses too, but that seems to be allowed? idk how I feel about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

trying so hard not to fart