Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

fist4jesus posted:

Voyager was bad, but lets not forget ds9s black rights time travel bullshit epps. Partically the waaaa i wanna write scifi one.

'Move Along Home' is another DS9 gem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Blistex posted:

Also how were they in Kazon space for over a season? Should have been 3 episodes make if they actually used their warp drives.

Also remember that WATER, WATER was a luxury item in that part of the delta quadrant.
They had warp drives that bent space, but no way to make one of the easiest poo poo in the universe.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Syfe posted:

The Doctor fared much better over 7 seasons as a believable non-aged character than Data did, mind you Data's makeup didn't play nice after awhile and movies forced him into longer than 7 seasons worth of time.

Psst, its easier to act like an aut man-child than do real acting.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Voyager should have been the Equinox.
Those poor bastards had it tough in the Delta Quadrant, and Janeway had to be high and mighty about the loving Prime Directive.
Bitch, you hosed up the Ocampa homeworld forever within the first day arriving there and then you hosed up leaving them to the space hillbilly Kazons.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Hector Beerlioz posted:

It was nice of them to let Harry sit in on the senior staff meetings

At the back usually.
A computer program and a non-starfleet shoeless space hobo got seats closer to the Captain than Harry did.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

treiz01 posted:

That's the part about the portable computer that they got wrong - you would never need all those tablets because all the information you would ever want can be accessed from one. The tablets in star trek were more akin to ebook readers.

I remember reading once some one explain that the differing pads are for differing levels of security.
So Picard at the top has access to a fuckton, but ensigns would only have access to the one that their department uses.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

criscodisco posted:

They shouldn't have even had uniforms. They should all be manning the bride wearing Neelix-hide loincloths and tufts of Kazon hair.

Can't afford replicator rations for a cup of coffee, but can afford to have a fresh pressed uniform every day!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Arcsquad12 posted:

So today I went to the Star Trek: Starfleet Academy experience in Ottawa, and I saw at least three potential pedophiles and a bunch of receding jawlines.

So they had mirrors, thats not futuristic!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Chatokay is already wasted on 2 Martinis.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The General posted:

I like to think Quark likes Jadzia because she's cool with the Ferengi, and Ezri was just a passing fancy due to the Dax connection. I dunno how much he'd drool over 7 of 9.

Quark would have his ears rubbed down to the skull if he met 7 of 9.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

PREPARE DOCKING MANEUVERS

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

could data cum? he said he was fully functional. does that include cum synthesis or does he have a reservoir that he had to refill?

This implies Dr Noonian Soong sitting at a workbench testing a robotic penis ejaculating over and over again.
He would sometimes look down at his own penis, and mutter 'Needs more Torque, and less salt.'

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

oldpainless posted:

Hes an engineer

Wonder how many times he has just stared at the warp core and thought he could take all the bitches and alphas males with him any time he wanted.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

criscodisco posted:

before they just had Jason Alexander say "oh the phage? Yeah we cured that" as a throwaway line.

I hated that episode.
Voyager had a loving copy of the ENTIRE knowledge of the Alpha Quadrant, some of the Beta and Gamma Quadrant, and all the smart arses wanted was a borg that they could loving steal or salvage from the billions of borg flying around.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I think one of the least convincing things in DS9 is that they tried to portray O'Brien as some ultra bad-rear end.

Sure I'll accept replicators, warp drives, and all of that future technology. But you are telling me that this pudgy Irish dude is somehow John Space Rambo? He single handedly took on dozens of enemies and can go against trained assassins that are filled with psychotropic drugs?

Nah it's fine if he is attacked by soldiers that were genetically engineered to be killing machines. Just a couple double fists to the back or an uppercut and the overweight Irish dude is cleaning house.

gently caress you, we Irish can take you fucks all on, don't matter if you are a Warrior Race or loving Ocampa, we'll punch the poo poo out of you.

Edit: Especially Ocampa, smug gits.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Remember, O'Brien killed his own cell mate for a piece of bread.
Stone cold irish killer.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Big Mean Jerk posted:

remember when Scotty

Check this poo poo out, I found out today Scotty starred in another space ship show in the 70s:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3RWcvT8rcA&t=493s

You can see it in his eyes that he knew he was on a 3rd rate show.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Rare Collectable posted:

Worf always knows how to take out the trash

He did that in shame. As Weyoun watched his spiked dick tear Ezri apart.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

criscodisco posted:

That was retarded because Archer took Porthos down to a planet for a first contact meeting, then couldn't grasp why they got offended when the dog pissed all over their historic landmarks.

They were retarded ALL THE TIME.
Every loving episode Trip says "why back in good ole Texas we do things the proper way" and Archer smirks like he let out a silent fart..

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

criscodisco posted:

First off, Trip was from Florida, despite the accent
Secondly, when you look like Trip you can say whatever stupid poo poo you want.

I'm glad his sister died. gently caress Trip.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
I would kill to see a dolphin borg.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

shadow puppet of a posted:

These people disgust me.

Death to the beads and soiled linen race.

Dude had a holo projector that could power a small town of people.
Mother fucker is one of the smartest men alive in the Federation as Starfleet couldn't do this.
So Starfleet must have let him live until he died, then descended like vultures and turned of the town to get at the tech.
The girl didn't even get to see 18.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

vyst posted:

What about that fucker from Seaquest DSV?

Darwin was cool.
Seaquest > Voyager.

But then again so is a Zika nativity play.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

and that was only the 3rd episode!

dojokm posted:

True, but the racism is generally more subtle after that.

The latent sexism is pretty much always there I suppose.

Blistex posted:

Have you watched that episode? I'm be more inclined to say that all racism in the history of television broadcasting is more subtle than the "African Planet" episode. And it doesn't even have the excuse of, "well it was a product of its time".

Simian_Prime posted:

Fear of A Black Planet

Wasn't someone fired over that episode?
Gene said to some casting guy to make the aliens tribal, and he instantly thought African tribal.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Am I the only one who sees Clint Howard in this guy?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Just remembered that the proto-Borg bug wasn't the only character on Star Trek to get exploded.

That effect is so amazing they should have killed Odo every episode Kenny style.

Edit: And do you think Julian went to his Odo and said 'I know what happens when one of your kind gets phasered.

And imagine what if they phasered the Great Link from a ship.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

chaosbreather posted:

Was it though? The guy who solved it used and invented cutting edge techniques that Fermat would never have had access to. For Picard, a student of history, it seems the real mystery would be to prove the theorem using period maths.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Is Picard a math genius though?

chaosbreather posted:

compared to fermat, absolutely. consider that 8 year olds on the enterprise learn calculus

I read Simon Singh's book on Fermat's Last Theorem, the entire history upto it being solved.
And he said Fermat and other of the world's best mathematician's of that time only had access to a level not much higher than what school kids are taught in maths today.
So I can totally see 8 year olds in 300 years time being taught poo poo we were taught at 15-16 currently.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Didn't Cardassian architecture have 10 inch hurdles on every floor way ever?
In the first few episodes of DS9 you saw them constantly stepping over then, and Melora complaining about it.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

The General posted:

The Seska character could have been cool if they didn't introduce her and out her as a spy like the second or maybe third episode that she's in. If they would have had Janeway lock up somebody every few weeks, while Seska cat and mouses around the ship with Tuvok would have been super cool. Whelp another wasted thing.

She should have gotten pregnant on the ship, Chakotay's, and is found out only by the Doctor doing a scan of the baby. It would be even more shocking, going from intimate lover to self serving traitor.
But no, she did the dirty with a Kazon instead of just loving taking a copy of Voyager's science library and becoming the Stephanie Jobs of the Delta Quadrant selling tech.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Lord of Pie posted:

Maybe Geordi would have gotten space laid if his pickup line wasn't "so I just got through reading your personal logs, and..."

Or 'You are taller than your hologram.'.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
"I like how the wide band spectral analysis of your face changes when you smile.'

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
My VISOR detects you have an Innie and and Outtie Leah.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
"Commander Worf, divert emergency power to shields, quick!"
" I can't Captain, all power is rerouted to....holodeck 1!"
"What? Give me visual communications to holodeck 1 immediately"
*Viewscreen shows Geordi wearing nothing apart from two Bajoran ear rings on both nipples. There are hundreds upon hundreds of naked miniature versions of the crew running around him naked. All mouth level crotch high."

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

That was a stupid episode, ancient Bajoran's could surf to Cardassia with solar winds.
Might as well say we can reach Vulcan from Starfleet HQ with a loving ladder.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Automatic Slim posted:

Never understood the end. Why would Gul Dukat celebrate any Bajoran achievement. A competent Cardassian officer would taken the opportunity to make Sisko disappear.

And surely Cardassia would have destroyed the ruins or evidence they 'just discovered' of their slave race for the last century was actually superior then they were at one time.
They would have went Taliban/ISIS on it, and wiped it from history instantly.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Walter Koenig was nice, but he seemed sad. I wonder if it has more to do with his dead son or the prospect of signing 8x10s for sweaty nerds for the rest of his years.

Of the whole TOS crew, I like Walter the best.
I wonder if he liked Babyon 5 or TOS the most.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
For a drunken bar fight, there are only 4 wine glasses and one left full in the entire room.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i understand not liking Wheaton but let's be fair and admit that no actor could have sold the poo poo they wrote for that character during the first season

To be fair scifi in the 80s was really really really really poo poo.
TNG 1st season was modern in every way back then.
It blew people away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug
Dr Who is baby's first sci-fi show