Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
the season three episode that was an analogy for holocaust denial was pretty good. Roxann Dawson as Banana Torres knocked that one out of the park.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hi, I've come to apply for the doctor's job. I can assure you my credentials are top-notch, I've just graduated from Harvard College Yale. I aced every semester, and I got an 'A'.
Starfleet professional Deanna Troi had to pretend she wanted to see his snake so that the Enterprise could solve a mystery that went right to the heart of the Romulan government #hatework #notreally #chocolate

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Voyager is like an iceberg with some well written episodes at the top, supported by a multitude of offensively boring or god awful episodes below the surface.

Good Episodes (Must see)

Eye of the Needle
State of Flux
Projections
Maneuvers
Prototype
Alliances
Deathwish
Deadlock
The Thaw
Remember
Futures End
Unity
Before and After
Worst Case Scenario
Scorpion pt1 and 2
Year of Hell(just pt 1)
Living Witness
Timeless
Counterpoint
Bliss
Someone to Watch Over me
Relativity
Tinker,Tenor, Doctor, Spy
Blink of an Eye
Good Shepherd
Critical Care
Prophecy
Author,Author

Baaad Episodes (Don't see)

Parturition
Threshold
Darkling
Favourite Son
Vis a Vis
Unforgettable
The Disease
The Fight
11;59
Alice
Fair Haven
Spirit Folk
Friendship One

The other 129 episodes are ok sometimes, have some nice scenes occasionally but are largely forgettable, often lazy and heavily involve a nebula or something

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Automatic Slim posted:

Some of those episodes are good, but none are great.

I agree, but they are good. For 45 minutes you can (almost) forgive Voyager its flaws

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

criscodisco posted:

Eye of the Needle is a great episode, and holds its own with some of the best of Trek.

Edit: wait, I was thinking of Blink of an Eye.

Eye of the Needle has a killer gut punch twist and also a lovely scene where Janeway negotiates and subtly manipulates a Romulan over the comm in her nightie.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Tighclops posted:

Why would anybody list Year of Hell and specify part one only

I mean I get that it's the titular example of a literal reset button ending, to the point where there's a drat gif of it but really now

I think that two parter (aside from being a perfect example of what kind of show Voyager could and arguably should have been) was great if only for the timeship captain ahab angle. Anytime Trek does or mentions Moby Dick it seems to be a good time, especially when paired with some strong actors like President "Bitches Leave" Red Foreman

Hmm I don't think much happens in the second part.

Chakotay becomes close to Annorax and slightly obsessed with Time
Tom starts an insurrection onboard the Krenim ship
Janeway takes risks onboard a half destroyed Voyager and the Doctor tries to relieve her for mental incompetence
Janeway crashes Voyager into Annorax's ship and reboots the timeline

I'm not saying you shouldn't watch it particularly if you've gone to the bother of viewing Part 1, but I wouldent say it's an ecspecially great episode. It has that problem that a lot of Star Trek two parters have, where part 1 is about building the tension and creating obstacles an then part 2 is about solving everything, which is far less enjoyable. Particularly with Voyager, which seems to resolve two parters rather perfunctorily ie. Equinox/Dark Frontier/Workforce/Basics

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Season

But its pretty subjective. There's a couple of old school Trek episodes that wouldent have looked out of place on TOS (Prototype) which I genuinely really like but I could see why someone else would find it average

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

The robot outfits are awful, even for 1996. But I like the idea of a robot war and Voyager is stuck in the middle bleating "eh sorry guys we just want our half Klingon chief engineer back please"

There was a couple of good Torres episodes in season 2; Prototype and Dreadnaught where it looked like the writers were directing her characterisation as that of a smart capable engineer/scientist with a natural intellectual curiosity that now she was in the Delta Quadrant away from the problems of home, she would be free to explore.

But then they seemed to forget all that and she became known primarily as Tom Paris's girlfriend and Seven of Nine got all her technobabble and cosy scenes with Janeway discussing SCIENCE

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

Pretty ironic and also terrible that the character who started as the "disagreeable but capable and independent Engineer" eventually got written away into becoming the "occasionally feisty but agreeable and supportive Girlfriend".

Women just can't catch a break on TV.

I agree! She wasn't the only character to be discarded after Seven of Nine but I think they really wasted a potentially flawed and interesting character by relegating her solely to engineering and sitcom scenes with Tom.

Plus in "Vis a Vis" and "Alice", Paris is replaced by a bodyswitcher and possessed by a female shuttlecraft respectively and his behavior then isn't that far from how we see he normally treats Torres. The old ball and chain haha am I right? Leave me alone woman so I can watch my cartoons on my hipster TV and then I'll take you on a date to the holodeck to see the car I'm fixing up

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

The Reliant because Khan could come onboard anytime and I'd surrender to him

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Chomp8645 posted:

I would be the IKS Rotarran because despite the high expectations placed on me by my proud heritage I'm filled with cowardice and self-doubt and never accomplish anything.

You'd need to airlock Alexander ASAP or your ship is without honour

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Tricky D posted:

Your list of good Voyager episodes is messed up because it isn't just Bride of Chaotica listed 12 times.

Yeaah that wasn't an oversight. I do like parts of that one, like when Janeway cosplays as Queen Arachnia and the devil robot but I just don't rewatch it that much, I'm not sure why. For me, it just slightly misses the mark

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Hillary Clintons Thong posted:

i honestly gave voyager a go a couple of years back, before I even watched DS9 I think. I made it until Janeway starting hanging out with DaVinci or someone like that. Said gently caress it. TNG & VOY suffer from wayyyy too much holodeck poo poo. DS9 had some but not enough that I can even remember any specific ones.

Well other than the lounge singer but Chase Masterson cancels out all bad in DS9

List of crappy voyager holoprogrammes

1. Janeway's camp gothic melodrama
2. World War 2 French town
3. Neelix's generic Hawaiian resort which probably is a bit racist in 2016
4.Captain Proton
5. gently caress off Da Vinci
6. Tom's French bar with 1x pool table
7. Fair Haven

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Tectonis posted:

The Doctor

The Doctor is definitely better than the Beowolf holoprogramme

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Apollodorus posted:

Captain Proton is awesome. I will space-fight you

Okay! As long as I get Constance Goodheart (Seven) you're stuck with Buster Kincaid (Harry Kim)

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

corn in the bible posted:

there was a holodeck episode where harry kim got seduced by an evil alien but then she dumped him to seduce tuvok instead

Marinana or something ? She was a holodeck puppet controlled by an ugly alien woman inside a nebula. Tuvok would never go near such a minger, logic dictates that he only pursues babes

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

I wish Worf had been there in season 1, would have liked to see the son of Mogh doing hopscotch while regretting his life choices up to that point

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

what if Geordi asked the holodeck to create a simulation of a woman who would love him? what would the result be? Core breach due to cpu cascade failure poo poo?

She would be perfect; beautiful and intelligent, graceful and kind. But then Riker becomes curious about who Geordi is spending all his holodeck time with...he sleeps with Geordi's needy holographic mess...and after altering her consent settings and sleeping with her, Riker maliciously makes changes to the programme so that she now smells of beer farts and growls "make it so" in Picard's dulcet baritone every she reaches completion.

The senior staff all have chuckle in the conference lounge later on and Counselor Troi describes Geordi's emotional distress in incredible detail

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

cheerfullydrab posted:

Which two-parter Next Gen, Voyager, or DS9 episodes would you consider to be better than any of the TNG movies? At the absolute least I'd say Best of Both Worlds and Emissary.

The Maquis pt 1 and 2 (DS9)
Past Tense pt 1 and 2 (DS9)
Improbable Cause and Die is Cast (DS9)
In Purgatorys Shadow and By Infernos Light (DS9)
Scorpion pt 1 and 2 (Voy)

I've got such a blind spot for Futures End (Voy) as well because it's just so cheesy and fun!

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

That Scotty/Uhura cringe relationship in Star Trek V was so weird. What did it add to the film? Uhura could do so much better than that old duffer.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

TMP has the crew assemble in a big cargo bay a third of the way through the movie so they can watch clips of the first third of the movie on a big screen ugh. I can't be bothered with it, I liked the bit with the Spock replacement getting turned inside out but all the slooooow majestic shots of the Enterprise and the intense chemistry between the bald wifie and the man leaves me cold. Plus he's a paedophile in 2016

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Wait, who is? :stare:

Dee and Dennis's dad

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

I like four Beverley C episodes

Remember Me is a classic and you should take a drink anytime a character says "Quaice"

Sub Rosa is about hilarious as Spocks Brain and managed to fit in a middle aged woman orgasming multiple times in one episode and this shitfest took place on a Scottish themed cosplay colony stuck in the 1800s

Ethics is a bitchfest between Bev and this weeks visiting doctor. They fight over Worf's injured spine until he wants to kill himself.

Suspicions lets our Bev host a scientific conference or something but of course it all ends in disaster and two people die. Thankfully plucky Crusher solves the mystery by flying a shuttle into a sun

The ones where she has sex with a Trill and almost has sex with Picard aren't really very good though because they were poorly written

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Suspicions is a great episode if you like to play the drinking game where you take a drink for every time someone says "scientist(s)" and you want to die of alcohol poisoning

I'd like to read the female Klingon scientist space blog because it must be poo poo being an intellectual in a society that knocks their foreheads together whilst singing the same three drinking songs. Klingon scientists and engineers keep the power on but they haven't stood against an army of remans on the field of battle so gently caress em

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

He was probably saying that because he thought her vagina forehead haven't fully developed yet. Made her look so young and uncrinkled

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Fat Shat Sings posted:

This Week on Voyager

Kes comes back and blows the gently caress out of Voyager, but goes six years into the past when Voyager first arrived in the Delta Quadrant.

Everyone tries to pretend they don't notice Kes is significantly fatter and has to wear baggier clothing than she did six years ago.

Timeline is reset but Voyager is still exploded to poo poo by Kes, which has no impact on anything and is completely forgotten.

Ha I think everyone noticed PorkyKes but they were all just to Starfleet to say anything...cowards.

But yeah I don't think she should have blown up Voyager and killed Torres. It's a pretty crap show but it's not as bad as the one with Hercules or Space Final Conflict.

Little did Kes know that this would all lead down the road to 2016 where she breaks the prime directive and exposes her lady garden to a bunch of kids because she's a bit drunk and hates her neighbours. Maybe it would have been better if Jennifer Lien had only lived nine years or wasn't a weirdo

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

I woke up and Neelix was a ferengi

That's dark man, season 3 is inconsistent as FUDGE

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

I liked when Voyager went back to 1996 and Janeway was like "Well Tom we will be relying on your encyclopedic knowledge of the 20th century more than usual to get us through this pickle!" Then when they beam down and start interacting with real people and not historical 20th century holograms they realise Paris knows gently caress all

"Groovy!"

"Secret agents blah KGB blah"

"I studied at Starfleet Academy...doh...I mean east coast school"

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Everyone hates Cardassian cuisine, even Cardassians. Technology was second rate, scientists were under the control of the military and supervised by the Obsidian Order so their could never hope to match the Federation's technical expertise. Their justice system was a farce. Dr Bashir finds Cardassian literary classics "boring". Their empire is smaller than the Federation, Romulan and Klingon Empires respectively. They couldn't drive the Klingons or maquis out of their territory until they joined the Dominion and got the Jem Hadar to help them. Everybody hates them because they were mean to the Bajorans for fifty years

Pretty cool architecture though
Best Star Trek race

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Ugh Libby was the worst in that episode. She only existed to have baths and whine gently in Harry's ear

""Haaaarrry"

"Haaaaaaaaaarrrry"

Don't keep dating your college gf Harry Kim particularly if you're posted on a ship the other side of the alfafa quadrant

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

I remember some (hopefully minority) of DS9 fans back in the day wanting a Dukat/Kira romance. Particularly during season 4 and 5, it was all pretty gross. Mmm genocide of my peoples what a turn on!

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

you know there a few things that I don't like it, mainly the music editing, but Continuum is not a terrible show about time traveling.

Ooh I liked Continuum too. It could have been a truly great show if it just had a bit more flair and the writing had been a bit sharper. There were some episodes that felt oddly dated, cases of the week (a computer game making people kill themselves) and wouldn't have looked out of place on early X-Files. I liked all the stuff with the series arc and the characters were intriguing (except Kiera's dull Chakotay lite partner)

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Mid 90s scifi was plentiful and incomprehensible most of the time, just ask Sliders.

TNG had a lot to do with the glut of 90s TV scifi: SG1/ Sea Quest/earth final conflict/dark skies/Earth Above and Beyond etc. Some of them I enjoyed but even then they looked a bit cheap n cheerful and completely dated when you watch them back now.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

ok I'm kinda high and playing elite, I have Voyager on in the background so I can gossip about this show :kiddo:

anyhow I think the episode I just kinda heard was one where Paris and Kim go to some planet and the bacteria or whatever makes pod people clones of the and poo poo and then they cure the regular ones and just said "peace out dudes" to the planet of Paris and Kim clones??

And we never hear from these silver clones again in any future episode...err

Voyager fact I learnt this week: the boy who plays Kate Mulgrew's step son in that horrendous millennium episode of season 5; "11:59" also was the voice of Ariel's best friend Flounder in The Little Mermaid

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Ha, you are so wrong.

http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Course:_Oblivion_(episode)

It's either the shittiest Voyager episode ever, or the super best Voyager episode ever, depending on how much you hate Voyager.

It also makes you think.. what if all the episodes between the original "Demon" and this one were the Adventures of The BioMimetic Clones? This is what I choose to believe..

What makes it even more pathetic are hints that the BMCs were better at Voyaging than the originals, (talk about stuff during the wedding party that indicates they managed to get past things that would have stumped the original dopey crew) especially if they were able to cobble together, on their own, a 'quantum slipstream' drive that would have gotten them back to Earth if maybe they'd been a little faster..

Then you would have this great scene where Janeway succumbs to the delayed effects of the drive by dissolving into a pile of silver goo right in front of Admiral Paris, followed by the rest of the crew and the ship itself, leading the Feds to decide that travel to the Delta Quadrant is too dangerous cause it has some weird radiation that makes you dissolve eventually, and they blockade the DS9 wormhole.

I wasn't being serious man. I just thought the sequel was poo poo

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

I liked that the Federation president in that DS9 two parter was a turban wearing non human like alien. There totally was a underlying xenophobia to the crazy Admirals disdain for democracy I mean guys, that weird alien fella isn't even human no wonder he doesn't protect us or care about Earth like he should...

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

I could never really get over Ocampians having big vaginas in their backs. Tho liked Kes's maternal relationship with Janeway and her advocate/mentor relationship with the Doc.

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Next Star Trek movie villain should be 1991 Dr Crusher circa Season 5. In the episode "The Host" she rejects her trill lover just because he swaps into the body of pretty young woman after a assassination attempt. In 2016, the SJW's name Beverley a BIGOT and she is Twitter harassed until she has a nervous breakdown but that's not enough! A different SJW comes into sickbay every hour and tries to lick the white cisgender tears from her face until she kills herself and the Federation celebrates the death of the greatest threat to freedom, tolerance and diversity that the Alpha Quadrant has ever seen. Kudos to you all

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Fojar38 posted:

they were reclaiming their heritage in the most star trek way possible ie every holiday is wookiee life day and has people wearing brown suits juggling and playing flutes

sisko must have had a hell of a time with dax tho

like if your cool old english teacher who smoked weed all the time was reincarnated as a hot woman and then began asking to gently caress

The problem with having 9 lifetimes of experiences and all the boring details that encompass a life, would be everything would reminder you everything. That boy you want to bone reminds you so much of your 4th host's son "Bung" that its almost obscene. The boss you respect and admire looks like that the guy that hosed your seventh host's wife. Oh I can't go to Fallopia Falls this summer because that where my 2nd host was murdered by a guy who shat in my mouth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Figaro
Feb 21, 2006

Sometimes it's almost like he's played more. I can't believe Weller hasn't had a forehead yet