Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
If anyone is reading this who has neither seen Voyager or DS9, and wants to watch both, I would strenuously urge you to watch Voyager first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Monkey Fracas posted:

poo poo there's 7 seasons of this

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I think it bears repeating that Voyager is just terrible.

I'm trying to finish it up as quickly as possible so I never have to watch it again. Right now I am watching the episode where B'lanna gets a space parasite. The only thing keeping me going is that 7 of 9 might throw Harry a pity gently caress.

Then I'll watch Enterprise. And once I have like a free weekend and an unholy amount of drugs, watch the animated series.

So far DS9 is the only series that I would willingly watch again.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Season 5 episode 9:

Tom is thrown in the brig and reduced to the rank of ensign because he attempts to help people doing the right thing against an authoratative government.

Season 5 episode 10 (I'm watching this right as I type):

Janeway smuggles telepaths through "Devoran" space, where telepaths are illegal, preventing them from getting sent to detention centers.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Season 5, episode 11:

Holographic doctor finds solace in poetry, in no way resolves his flawed moral dilemma; Janeway gets a freebie.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Voyager, S05x14:

"the hull is de-molecularizing"

This loving show

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
What is subspace?

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Hector Beerlioz posted:

The space below space

oooooooh

I'm living in the golden age of television and I'm watching Star Trek: Voyager

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

etalian posted:

Lucy Lawless has aged really well, still smoking hot in shows like BSG and Spartacus.

and parks and rec

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Voyager 05x22

Space Pygmalion

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Voyager 05x23 "11:59"

Compromise your values for love.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Thank god but I'm on the last season.

I'm watching the one where the doctor gets downloaded to 7 of 9's face. And then that dude gets attracted to the doctor but in 7's body. So I guess that space captain is gay for holograms.

The whole episode is quite confusing.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Volcott posted:

Jeri Ryan does a good Doctor. Maybe a little more feminine than Genuine Picardo, but still good.

Agreed.

Also in the end: everyone learns a valuable lesson about photonics

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I have started Star Trek Discovery and my wife has tagged along, her first time watching any Star Trek. We're 5-6 episodes in and it's been good to have someone to bitch to about how much I hate Star Trek. It's borderline surreal how bad it has been. How much loving room does Michael and redhead need. Why not split it into two rooms?!

Also I'm really into monetary economics and like central banks and poo poo like that so if anybody has poo poo about how the economics of star trek works, I'm in. I know there's trekonomics, but if anybody has anything, i'd love to have it to SPARE MY loving MIND FROM THIS DRIVEL

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Yeah I guess the question is allocation of resources in a world where there's no scarcity. I guess i have to read marx to understand it

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Zesty posted:

Why not watch through TNG/DS9 era to get her into it?

Well a lot of my friends really liked season 3 of Discovery. But in retrospect they were all people who say Voyager is their favorite series, but generally speaking I thought it would be fun to like watch a Star Trek series week-to-week, something I've never done. And then when it's off the air, go back to TNG. She actually doesn't mind it all things considered and she's sort of like me in that we're both write/have written for a living so we can bitch about the dialogue and about how on-the-nose everything is. It's something inoffensive that we can put on in the background and barely pay attention to.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I have a three year old son who is way into trains. And he has figured out how to turn the Chromecast on and navigate to Netflix. So I was peeing one time and I heard the unmistakable sounds of Star Trek in the background. I came back in and Picard had said something about going to the next "station". And my son got really excited because he thought it meant a train station. But I said 'no buddy, it's a space station'. But he keeps asking if he can watch 'space station'.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Applewhite posted:

Discovery is really terrible and not even interesting enough to watch ironically. Personally I feel like you’re wasting your time. TNG is corny and dumb but at the end of all but a handful of episodes you’re left with a good feeling, like things will all turn out right in the end.

real talk time they were both saying, independantly that there were episodes in the 3rd season that were 'some of the best television that they have ever watched'. What sort of lense should I view this through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
welp