Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Someday I'm going to write a Trek-like and there's going to be an episode where the characters visit a low-level civilization and give them nice things and instead of messing everyone up it will make things better and the people will be happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CainFortea posted:

They also didn't know that anything else existed, and once they did learn about it they assimilated stuff to their biology, or destroyed it. Also I think there was a thing about kess learning that they'd already gone full crusade on all life in their universe. I'm hazier on that second part.

Basically they come from another universe that is fluidic space. Their ships are organic on some level too. The Borg were the ones that invaded their universe and tried to assimilate them but lmao their biology and tech was far more advanced and they got pissed off. In part because they are the only life form in their universe and the second they encountered something different they freaked out and saw it as something that needed to die and had a lot of hate for the Borg for ruining the purity of their universe. They have mental powers too. Their ships can take out a Borg fleet in seconds and combine fire power to destroy planets. Their biology if they touch you can kill you in a way similar to assimilation cause their cells are badass. If it wasn’t for Voyager working with the Borg to figure out how to assimilate their biology the Borg were hosed. I’m also not sure Species cared about loving with anyone other than the Borg but I do think there’s a follow up episode that addresses the fallout that by Voyager helping the Borg like this there was a civilization that was then assimilateable and their last dude wanted revenge on Voyager.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
If they were the only species in their universe and their universe had no planets, why would they have weapons capable of destroying planets? Or weapons at all? Did they make war on one another before the Borg came?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Applewhite posted:

If they were the only species in their universe and their universe had no planets, why would they have weapons capable of destroying planets? Or weapons at all? Did they make war on one another before the Borg came?

We don’t know if their universe had planets or not. I assume so. But their universe is some kind of fluid instead of vacuum

They were set up as an impressive threat that ended in a kind of wet fart in their only follow ups, one being the Chakotay episode and then in another where the Hirogen were hunting down those that were trapped in our universe with no way back

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

It's Phlogiston, we were so close to that Spelljammer season of VOY

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Mulaney Power Move posted:

Zephram Cochrane: I don't want to be a statue!

(runs away)

Riker: We don't have time for this *fires phaser*

(cochrane falls and busts his head open on a rock, dying instantly. Seinfeld music sting. Roll credits)
I would like to amend this script with one addition.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gatts posted:

Basically they come from another universe that is fluidic space. Their ships are organic on some level too. The Borg were the ones that invaded their universe and tried to assimilate them but lmao their biology and tech was far more advanced and they got pissed off. In part because they are the only life form in their universe and the second they encountered something different they freaked out and saw it as something that needed to die and had a lot of hate for the Borg for ruining the purity of their universe. They have mental powers too. Their ships can take out a Borg fleet in seconds and combine fire power to destroy planets. Their biology if they touch you can kill you in a way similar to assimilation cause their cells are badass. If it wasn’t for Voyager working with the Borg to figure out how to assimilate their biology the Borg were hosed. I’m also not sure Species cared about loving with anyone other than the Borg but I do think there’s a follow up episode that addresses the fallout that by Voyager helping the Borg like this there was a civilization that was then assimilateable and their last dude wanted revenge on Voyager.

I remember at one point they'd decided to wipe out all life in our galaxy, just to be sure. The Borg are the only ones bothering them now, but they could not tolerate the risk that some other lifeform from our galaxy would poke their nose into fluidic space. Sort of the reaction most of us have to bed bugs.

For some reason their plan to wipe out all life in our galaxy involved simulating star fleet academy, so they could practice existing in our weird non-fluidic space. Based off Voyager's records, I guess. But then Voyager found the simulation and the guys who had been simulating humans decided maybe we're not so bad after all. I don't remember how it was resolved tho.

Good thing they never found out about the mycelial network.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

FlamingLiberal posted:

Right but a bunch of them had already seen the scientist, right? It wasn't just Ray Wise.

I think what they were going for was that fear of the unknown might lead those proto-vulcans to some kind of witch hunt trying to sus out what happened. But explaining it would simply leave them with a story, one that the others of the planet would probably not even believe.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

8472 were massively powerful xenophobes that could defeat the Borg but they weren't assimilators or a homogenising swarm. They could infect things parasitically but that just ate you up from the inside until you died.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CainFortea posted:

I think what they were going for was that fear of the unknown might lead those proto-vulcans to some kind of witch hunt trying to sus out what happened. But explaining it would simply leave them with a story, one that the others of the planet would probably not even believe.

Yeah if it was a populated planet outside of what we saw I think leaving a dozen or so random villagers behind to rant and rave about seeing the men disappear would be the better option. Obviously this is a hypothetical for yuks and I quite like the episode because of how everything escalates, but I was watching it last night thinking about the ramifications of even bringing one of them on the space ship to be like "See I'm no god, I merely live in space and fly around in this ship with a bunch of aliens!"

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also I think there was a bit about how they're proto-vulcans, and logic should appeal to them.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

CainFortea posted:

Also I think there was a bit about how they're proto-vulcans, and logic should appeal to them.

That is a good point, I forgot about that bit.

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

Facebook Aunt posted:

I remember at one point they'd decided to wipe out all life in our galaxy, just to be sure. The Borg are the only ones bothering them now, but they could not tolerate the risk that some other lifeform from our galaxy would poke their nose into fluidic space. Sort of the reaction most of us have to bed bugs.

For some reason their plan to wipe out all life in our galaxy involved simulating star fleet academy, so they could practice existing in our weird non-fluidic space. Based off Voyager's records, I guess. But then Voyager found the simulation and the guys who had been simulating humans decided maybe we're not so bad after all. I don't remember how it was resolved tho.

Good thing they never found out about the mycelial network.

That was pretty much it. They shake hands and agree to not kill all humanoids. I was a bit bummed they weren't coaxed into becoming explorers by Janeway as they were clearly finding some enjoyment in play-acting Starfleet. Their initial aggression was in response to the borg invasion, but they were living in boring homogeneous "fluidic" space with nothing of interest. Suddenly they have this opportunity to experience a new plane of existence, but they just go home.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

CainFortea posted:

Perhaps they were protological.

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

So am I right in thinking that the Klingon empire is running off the backs of hundreds of millions of slaves? Like "conquest" is a romantic word, but we are talking about global despoilation and enslavement of less advanced peoples, right? And cultural relativism makes it okay for the federation to have normalized relations with them and officer exchange programs, etc.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Danaru posted:

I couldnt get in to SS13 when I played it, but the stories are always great

Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy plays out literally like an SS13 round :allears:.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

DebonaireD posted:

So am I right in thinking that the Klingon empire is running off the backs of hundreds of millions of slaves? Like "conquest" is a romantic word, but we are talking about global despoilation and enslavement of less advanced peoples, right? And cultural relativism makes it okay for the federation to have normalized relations with them and officer exchange programs, etc.

to the victor goes the spoils, you coward!

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Im sure klingons have no problem beaming down to some subsistence protosociety, shouting "haha!" before putting millions to the batleth.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

DebonaireD posted:

Im sure klingons have no problem beaming down to some subsistence protosociety, shouting "haha!" before putting millions to the batleth.

They destroyed the great Tribble Empire

DebonaireD
May 7, 2007

Gatts posted:

They destroyed the great Tribble Empire

No attempt to negotiate a peaceful solution with the Tribbles, no thoughts for tribble birth control, just hordes of klingons with flamethrowers scouring the planet.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

DebonaireD posted:

Probably more of a tribute/protection sort of situation with non-Klingon subjects of the Empire. Vassal states.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

DebonaireD posted:

The Federation created holograms and gave them sentience just to enslave them all in dilithium mines for eternity.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Equipped with a geologist's pick no less

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
Couldn’t they just make a swarm of holographic picks instead of holographic people holding picks?

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Gutcruncher posted:

Couldn’t they just make a swarm of holographic picks instead of holographic people holding picks?

Who would pick up the rocks, IDIOT???

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

DebonaireD posted:

There's an episode in Enterprise where some crew are mining deuterium I think and klingons keep coming and taking all their haul and the crew helps them set up an ambush and gives them weapons and such.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The later shows mostly shied away from the nitty gritty of the conquered Klingon empire stuff. There's one episode where the Federation is mediating a Klingon subject planet that's rebelled and wants independence, and it's mention later on in the show they got it in the end. They say the planet has had to rebel to get that far, but by the TNG era the Klingons 'tolerate' rebellions and planets that win their freedom, whereas in earlier times they would've just wiped them out.

That said, I get the impression that a lot of the Empire's size is just frantic loving and filling up every world in their way that's colonisable.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:16 on May 4, 2021

The General
Mar 4, 2007

Anybody have any clips of picard saying Dater instead of Data?

Trying to win an internet argument and its very important. Id even take an episode number. Please. I am desperate. :negative:

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Picard can't mispronounce Data because his pronunciation is the canon one.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I have started Star Trek Discovery and my wife has tagged along, her first time watching any Star Trek. We're 5-6 episodes in and it's been good to have someone to bitch to about how much I hate Star Trek. It's borderline surreal how bad it has been. How much loving room does Michael and redhead need. Why not split it into two rooms?!

Also I'm really into monetary economics and like central banks and poo poo like that so if anybody has poo poo about how the economics of star trek works, I'm in. I know there's trekonomics, but if anybody has anything, i'd love to have it to SPARE MY loving MIND FROM THIS DRIVEL

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
in the federation they don't have economics. everything is free and you get a job only if you feel like it

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
Yeah I guess the question is allocation of resources in a world where there's no scarcity. I guess i have to read marx to understand it

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
allocation of resources doesn't happen. everyone just gets everything they want because of magic. except for weapons I guess

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
federation economics was always nonsense, but it was pleasant, utopian nonsense. but now thanks to picard the federation is all capitalism and neoliberalism. and now s2 is going to ruin q somehow.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

bollig posted:

I have started Star Trek Discovery and my wife has tagged along, her first time watching any Star Trek. We're 5-6 episodes in and it's been good to have someone to bitch to about how much I hate Star Trek. It's borderline surreal how bad it has been. How much loving room does Michael and redhead need. Why not split it into two rooms?!

Also I'm really into monetary economics and like central banks and poo poo like that so if anybody has poo poo about how the economics of star trek works, I'm in. I know there's trekonomics, but if anybody has anything, i'd love to have it to SPARE MY loving MIND FROM THIS DRIVEL

Why not watch through TNG/DS9 era to get her into it?

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

Zesty posted:

Why not watch through TNG/DS9 era to get her into it?

Well a lot of my friends really liked season 3 of Discovery. But in retrospect they were all people who say Voyager is their favorite series, but generally speaking I thought it would be fun to like watch a Star Trek series week-to-week, something I've never done. And then when it's off the air, go back to TNG. She actually doesn't mind it all things considered and she's sort of like me in that we're both write/have written for a living so we can bitch about the dialogue and about how on-the-nose everything is. It's something inoffensive that we can put on in the background and barely pay attention to.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I have a three year old son who is way into trains. And he has figured out how to turn the Chromecast on and navigate to Netflix. So I was peeing one time and I heard the unmistakable sounds of Star Trek in the background. I came back in and Picard had said something about going to the next "station". And my son got really excited because he thought it meant a train station. But I said 'no buddy, it's a space station'. But he keeps asking if he can watch 'space station'.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Like if you want shiny garbage Discovery is great

If you want something actually interesting to watch, DS9 is a much better choice for a Trek introduction and probably easier to get into than TNG since it's set up with seasonlong arcs instead of TNG's self-contained episodes.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

bollig posted:

Yeah I guess the question is allocation of resources in a world where there's no scarcity. I guess i have to read marx to understand it

I recommend Kropotkin over Marx because I believe he actually explains the mechanics of how an economy without money would work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

bollig posted:

Well a lot of my friends really liked season 3 of Discovery. But in retrospect they were all people who say Voyager is their favorite series, but generally speaking I thought it would be fun to like watch a Star Trek series week-to-week, something I've never done. And then when it's off the air, go back to TNG. She actually doesn't mind it all things considered and she's sort of like me in that we're both write/have written for a living so we can bitch about the dialogue and about how on-the-nose everything is. It's something inoffensive that we can put on in the background and barely pay attention to.

Discovery is really terrible and not even interesting enough to watch ironically. Personally I feel like you’re wasting your time. TNG is corny and dumb but at the end of all but a handful of episodes you’re left with a good feeling, like things will all turn out right in the end.