Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Since I am a sad human being I cycle TNG, DS9 and Voyager and am pretty much always watching Trek. So I'll say this.

The Doctor fared much better over 7 seasons as a believable non-aged character than Data did, mind you Data's makeup didn't play nice after awhile and movies forced him into longer than 7 seasons worth of time.

Watch Voyager for The Doctor, DS9 For Quark and TNG is just great.

edit:

Currently on the Voyager cycle, where Harry Kim is not human and is instead of a race where all the women want to hear his Kimtones if you know what I mean.

Syfe fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 22, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Eh, I'm not sure I agree with that. DS9 was too serialized, it was just too much at times when I really wanted off Mr. Bones Wild ride and to just have a chill Ferengi episode.

Voyager had enough over the course of time plots that clung together and enough one off stories. Not that Voyager is great, but I don't think it's non-serialized style was it's problem.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Nucleic Acids posted:

Nah, they actually kept them. But everyone on Earth switched.

I always felt that the decision to change the uniforms was in part to draw attention to the older uniforms on Voyager.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

But they don't replicate uniforms every day, many people are seen traveling with bags and things, and I remember something about Naomi Wildeman's clothes needed to be put back through the replicator because she was growing so fast. Consider that it's supposed to be a society of conservation, to replicate something you need more than just it's parts, you need the parts + the energy to make it.

Though they should look more worn than they tend to.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

criscodisco posted:

By TNG, matter and energy were interchangeable. That's why when they finished eating they'd put the dirty plates back in the replicator, and they'd disappear. So she was putting Naomi's clothes in the have them go back into the energy bank for replicated goods.

Theoretically they would just have to collect space dust and gas to have all the goods they need, but they still have to use energy from the engine for the replicating/dereplicating process.

For TNG perhaps, but we are talking about Voyager, supplies are limited, that's why Neelix cooks and for all we know, does the dishes.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Geordi is worse. Barclay was just an incredibly anxious guy who didn't really bother anyone and had his own private holodeck fantasies. Everyone poo poo on him, even up to Picard calling him "Broccoli." Riker joked about him and Geordi would pull rank and talk poo poo to him because he was the only person worse than Geordi.

Geordi actively stalked ladies and was more outwardly creepy to people. That and he could probably see through clothes with his visor. Geordi wins just by getting friend zoned in the holodeck and fighting with a literal child about it.

Probably one of the best, there is clearly something wrong with Geordi, scenes.

papa_november posted:

I do still kind of appreciate what the remastering did to TNG - sometimes you got to see how wooden the sets were, but other times you got to see all those great easter eggs (I swear half of those LCARS displays were printing out anime summaries). It certainly didn't detract from the show.

I generally found the Blu-Ray quality TNG detracted from the show for me.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

The General posted:

Geordi asked for a personality profile, as close as the computer could do. Maybe professionally she's a flirt at the conferences. Who knows? But Geordi only takes some of the blame here. The computer did it.

I'm pretty convinced that since it's Roddenberry's free love future, the holodeck is programmed with the assumption that it will be used for sex so all the programming is a little too responsive and forward.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Fat Shat Sings posted:

Also obligatory torpedo inventory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIGxMENwq1k

And the fact they had 2 shuttles but lost 18 of them or something.

I died around the 2 minute mark.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

According to page 11 of the Voyager Technical Manual that is apparently online, it's the "upper phaser strip", or possibly the "upper sensor pallets".

Syfe fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 1, 2016

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Tom Paris is going to be at a con I'm going to tomorrow and he wants $55 for autographs

like, dude

you weren't even on one of the good shows

The correct answer is to get him to sign a copy of Masters of the Universe.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i thought that was because they hired a charlatan as their advisor on native american stuff

I'm always amused when they have Beltran say Rubber Tree People.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Automatic Slim posted:

Never understood the end. Why would Gul Dukat celebrate any Bajoran achievement. A competent Cardassian officer would taken the opportunity to make Sisko disappear.

Because just like how Dax is a weeaboo for Klingon everything, Dukat is for Bajoran. They make him have some pretty obvious wrinkle-nose fever.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

None of that matters because the biggest Weeaboo for Klingons is Dax.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Endless Trash posted:

I have to assume other aliens call us Earthorians when we’re not in the room

The universal translator also has us say Sol III every single time we mention Earth.
(so really we would be Solarians, but that's actually it's own System near Cardassia and Bajor I guess.)

Syfe fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 11, 2020

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Imagine how pissed you’d be if you were chosen to be a joined trill but you got a brand new symbiont. Everyone else going “wow! I just got ten lifetimes of experience! I’m a master pianist now!” and you‘re just there like oh... cool... so happy for you...

Memories of splashing and zapping around in the pond.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm convinced there's a hidden holodeck AI subroutine that ensures the user experience is always positive by playing up their skills and flattering them no matter what they do. Like all Riker's bandmates tell him how good a trombonist he is and the ladies are super into him, when Data does Sherlock Holmes it immediately bows to his superior smarts until explicitly told otherwise, and Worf always wins in his exercise program. And then you get situations like Barclay intentionally writing flattering holodeck programs on top of the subroutine, and the whole thing just goes whole hog absurd.

And even then when O'Brien goes to the Enterprise holodeck the best case scenario is he gets his shoulder mangled. I'm guessing Quark's suites have an illegaly strong flattering subroutine.

Also makes you wonder how much of Jack Crusher's holo-video to Wesley was really him and how much was the subroutine.

This has more or less always been my presumption, that the holodeck always presumes gratification is why somebody is there and leans heavily into that.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

So is mirror Bashir so unstable because he's actually Jules Bashir? (not ... unnatural...)

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

That always smacked a bit wrong indeed, but that episode is rife with bad choices.

It just bugs me that he beams in without a phaser and they don't at any point say "well our records don't show a weapon during transport". I mean there'd be no episode, but they have the proof.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

I have read some TNG and some Voyager novels, it defies the idea of light reading. With defined characters and places, it's very easy to read and really shut off to.
Great before bed reading that never gets too exciting to put down.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

It would have been better if they tried to stop it, but Sisko went in to get his officer out and Starfleet said it would just sit by and see if they were successful.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Soapy_Bumslap posted:

I checked out the first Lower Decks last night, and I'm going to give it the benefit of the doubt that it improves, but god drat am I realizing i've lost my tolerance for media about quirky, anxious millenials

While it gets endless praise in this thread, I've watched 3 episodes and I don't think I have the ADD/ADHD required. It feels like it moves too fast and too randomly.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Q-Less the 6th episode of the first season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, but you'd know how it ends from the beginning.

To be fair, it's easy to figure out how Voyager ends from the beginning.