Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

I have to assume other aliens call us Earthorians when we’re not in the room

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Powered Descent posted:

Unless it was a Tarellian, or a Tamarian, or a Terrellian. Talaxian? Talonian? They're so hard to keep track of. Tarkanian? Tarkalean? Now they're all just starting to sound funny. Hell, at this point it might have even been a Tellarite or a Terran.

that boy has never hosed a terran

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Powered Descent posted:

Unless it was a Tarellian, or a Tamarian, or a Terrellian. Talaxian? Talonian? They're so hard to keep track of. Tarkanian? Tarkalean? Now they're all just starting to sound funny. Hell, at this point it might have even been a Tellarite or a Terran.

Thelusian. because frontier medicine

WilWheaton
Oct 11, 2006

It'd be hard to get bored on this ship!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

that was the alien that murdered the replicant though, it wasn't one of the starfleet people

and, just like when O'Brien got decades of virtual prison, everyone just shrugs their shoulders at the alien who just ensured that O'Brien must suffer

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Endless Trash posted:

I have to assume other aliens call us Earthorians when we’re not in the room

The universal translator also has us say Sol III every single time we mention Earth.
(so really we would be Solarians, but that's actually it's own System near Cardassia and Bajor I guess.)

Syfe fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Aug 11, 2020

PenisMonkey
Apr 30, 2004

Be gentally.
Solians

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Syfe posted:

The universal translator also has us say Sol III every single time we mention Earth.
(so really we would be Solarians, but that's actually it's own System near Cardassia and Bajor I guess.)

Lord Avatar II's fake religion wins in the end, I guess

Prism Mirror Lens
Oct 9, 2012

~*"The most intelligent and meaning-rich film he could think of was Shaun of the Dead, I don't think either brain is going to absorb anything you post."*~

:chord:
Imagine how pissed you’d be if you were chosen to be a joined trill but you got a brand new symbiont. Everyone else going “wow! I just got ten lifetimes of experience! I’m a master pianist now!” and you‘re just there like oh... cool... so happy for you...

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Imagine how pissed you’d be if you were chosen to be a joined trill but you got a brand new symbiont. Everyone else going “wow! I just got ten lifetimes of experience! I’m a master pianist now!” and you‘re just there like oh... cool... so happy for you...

Also if you're getting an old Trill you're getting several lifetimes worth of embarrassing moments that are now subjectively yours to live with. All those moments your prior hosts would REALLY rather forget, now yours forever with perfect recall.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Wow, ten lifetimes of "that time I poo poo my pants" stories!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

They poo poo their bodysuits in the future.

Syfe
Jun 12, 2006

Prism Mirror Lens posted:

Memories of splashing and zapping around in the pond.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

shadow puppet of a posted:

They poo poo their bodysuits in the future.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Why do you think they have dedicated Transport Operators at-station 24-7, even though they rarely have anyone using them?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Why do you think they have dedicated Transport Operators at-station 24-7, even though they rarely have anyone using them?

Because everyone hates Chief O'Brien

https://chiefobrienatwork.com/post/106684455801/episode-1-r%C3%A9sum%C3%A9-builder-read-the-next-episode

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

calling klingons wookies and calling wookies luxans just to piss everyone off

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
do they ever explain why voyager’s warp nacelles move up and down?

e: aside from marketing of course

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Centrist Committee posted:

They don't tear holes in the fabric of the universe and require they adhere to the Warp-5 "Speed Limit" that TNG imposed, and immediately regretted, with repeated "we're allowed to exceed the speed limit ~Just This Once~" lines forever after.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Figures when I put on BBC America, they're showing the Bell Riots episodes of DS9 and once again, wow, this is optimistic for 2024...

Edit: Probably pretty spot on for Clint Howard, though...

Cthulu Carl fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Aug 11, 2020

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They don't tear holes in the fabric of the universe and require they adhere to the Warp-5 "Speed Limit" that TNG imposed, and immediately regretted, with repeated "we're allowed to exceed the speed limit ~Just This Once~" lines forever after.

Haha I forgot about that episode

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They don't tear holes in the fabric of the universe and require they adhere to the Warp-5 "Speed Limit"

That was the original idea behind it, but in seven seasons they never actually got around to mentioning that on screen, so it's not actually canon. Oopsie.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

landing? they landed/crashed the ship a bunch of times

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
So why does “tilt the nacels” solve it? why must there be a complicated mechanism/more points of failure instead of just them being fixed in that position? Why do other ships in post-voyager movies and DS9 episodes not also use that design?

They really should’ve just said in TNG “we all figured out how to recalibrate the warp core so it’s not a problem anymore” and never mention it again.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Never any reasoning other than marketing. It looked cool, so they did it.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

nothing will ever look cooler than a warbird, sorry

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

GolfHole posted:

nothing will ever look cooler than a warbird, sorry

turn your monitor off

:unsmith:

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

Gutcruncher posted:

So why does “tilt the nacels” solve it? why must there be a complicated mechanism/more points of failure instead of just them being fixed in that position? Why do other ships in post-voyager movies and DS9 episodes not also use that design?

They really should’ve just said in TNG “we all figured out how to recalibrate the warp core so it’s not a problem anymore” and never mention it again.

I wondered this from time to time whenever I heard about the movable pylons. Like, why does a 20 degree rotation solve the problem?
Personally I wonder if somebody involved in the design just had a fetish for the variable geometry fighter planes like the Tomcat and Tornado that were in service at the time. I can't think what else might have inspired the idea, and you can make the mental association between wings move = goes faster and pylons moves = goes faster (without breaking space) easily enough. The problem with this as a "theory" is that those planes were already 20 years old by the time Voyager came out, and the design principle was already outdated and abandoned for newer generations of planes.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
The nacelle tilting is the starship equivalent of the Naruto run, which makes it go faster

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Danaru posted:

The nacelle tilting is the starship equivalent of the Naruto run, which makes it go faster

Can confirm that it does

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

communism bitch posted:

I wondered this from time to time whenever I heard about the movable pylons. Like, why does a 20 degree rotation solve the problem?

That depends on the exact frequency of the local phase space gradients, but what it essentially does is rotate the dynamic matrix aspect of the warp field by 349.1 mrad and also translates it by a very specific offset so it is counter-proportional to what we call the phase-weight. If the phase-weight of the dynamic matrix aspect (DMA) is not a cube root of the local invariant cluster of the local phase space gradients, then you end up creating tiny micro fractures in those structures.

Whereas rotating so that the accumulated energy of the field is counter-proportional means that the phase-weight of the warp field is a cube root of the local invariant cluster, so hyperfunctional-tension is not caused between the warp field and local space, allowing you to smoothly glide through space and also allowing higher speeds to be achieved.

A nice metaphor is to think back to polarized light and how specific angles of polarized filters block the light.

alexandriao fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Aug 11, 2020

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

hire me, CBS

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

alexandriao posted:

That depends on the exact frequency of the local phase space gradients, but what it essentially does is rotate the dynamic matrix aspect of the warp field by 349.1 mrad and also translates it by a very specific offset so it is counter-proportional to what we call the phase-weight. If the phase-weight of the dynamic matrix aspect (DMA) is not a cube root of the local invariant cluster of the local phase space gradients, then you end up creating tiny micro fractures in those structures.

Whereas rotating so that the accumulated energy of the field is counter-proportional means that the phase-weight of the warp field is a cube root of the local invariant cluster, so hyperfunctional-tension is not caused between the warp field and local space, allowing you to smoothly glide through space and also allowing higher speeds to be achieved.

A nice metaphor is to think back to polarized light and how specific angles of polarized filters block the light.

wait so are the nacelles actually supposed to be moving around like adaptive optics, if so why does it need such a wide angle of movement, and if so why do only see them in up or down positions :techno:

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
If I believed the Voyager showrunners gave even the slightest gently caress about Star Trek technical canon, I'd say Voyager's nacelles need to tilt so that they are in line of sight with one another because Roddenberry's original rules for nacelles were that they always came in pairs and had unobstructed line of sight because the actual warp effect took place between the nacelles.

Don't ask me why Voyager's nacelles wouldn't just be fixed at the proper angle, tho.

tmm3k
Jul 19, 2006
The bioneural gel packs cause Voyager's nacelles to erect.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

tmm3k posted:

The bioneural gel packs cause Voyager's nacelles to erect.

:lol: I love how they made a huge deal about how Voyager had this new tech in the lead up to the show, then it was the plot point for exactly one episode.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: I love how they made a huge deal about how Voyager had this new tech in the lead up to the show, then it was the plot point for exactly one episode.

Every piece of new tech is a plot point for exactly one episode. There's an episode of TNG, Unnatural Selection, where Pulaski is on an away mission where she's infected by a disease that makes her old. O'Brien realizes they can use the transporter to basically just beam a copy of her when she wasn't sick, and she'll be back to normal, and they do and she's saved. Does that ever come up again, even though it seems like it would be really useful? Nope.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Epicurius posted:

Every piece of new tech is a plot point for exactly one episode. There's an episode of TNG, Unnatural Selection, where Pulaski is on an away mission where she's infected by a disease that makes her old. O'Brien realizes they can use the transporter to basically just beam a copy of her when she wasn't sick, and she'll be back to normal, and they do and she's saved. Does that ever come up again, even though it seems like it would be really useful? Nope.

Dude, they were using the Transporter in like every episode. Also Thomas Riker exists :colbert:

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

When I’m old please just transport me back into my young body so I never die!

See that’s why McCoy looked like dogshit in Encounter at Farpoint, he doesn’t trust the transporter.

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009
Does the transporter kill and replicate you, or physically send your atoms through space? I'd be too superstitious to use Transporters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

communism bitch posted:

Does the transporter kill and replicate you, or physically send your atoms through space? I'd be too superstitious to use Transporters.

yes.

and also no.

See:
Thomas Riker,
Barclay's Space Worms