Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!
I was off trail hiking with a friend around 2002. We were on some very remote old logging trails in Oregon. We're both very seasoned hikers, and he is a certified forest ranger. The trail (if you could call it that) lead us way out intot the wilderness. At the time we had to be at least 15 miles from the nearest road in a very rough area. We had just crested a hill when we saw this tree stump covered in shoes. They were all tied together by the laces then wrapped around this old tree stump that stood maybe three feet tall. The most interesting thing about the shoes were that they got newer the higher up the stump they went. The first pair at the bottom looked to be from the 1920 then as you went up the got progressively more modern. At the top was what looked like a fairly new pair of basketball shoes. No idea what it was about but it was bizarre in a cool way. Seemed like a strange outsider art project, or maybe some crazy elaborate prank. It was a pretty neat find. It'd be interesting to go back now and see if its still there all these years later..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HarlanHell
Nov 16, 2012

Nevermind that shit here comes Mingo!

Aphex- posted:

Those stories are some of the most upvoted posts on the subreddit r/nosleep which is where people post 'scary stories' and everyone in the subreddit has to act as if they're real. Interesting stories but definitely bullshit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/nosleep/comments/3iex1h/im_a_search_and_rescue_officer_for_the_us_forest/

No idea about the wilderness staircase stories, because I refuse to read anything in nosleep. Not because its scary, but because its a massive waste of time. Anyway I've actually found a staircase in the middle of the woods. Well not really, it was a pit with a rusty metal ladder that went down about 30 feet at the bottom was a concrete structure with a steel door and a pad lock It was way out in the middle of nowhere on my uncles property. He owns a massive amount of undeveloped land in the northwest. Me, and my friends wanted to break in, but we decided to go back and tell my uncle about it. Turns out it was a lovely homemade bomb shelter his brother in law had built back in the mid 60s, He said he totally forgot about it till we brought it up. Later me and my uncle went out on a 6 wheeler, and covered the open pit with a piece of steel, so some poor hunter wouldn't fall in on accident.

• Locked thread