Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

Nothing like a nice tire trap.

This spot is a wired one, it is county owned land wedged between a large federal research area and these two parks that, according to tax maps, are state owned but completely abandoned. The whole area is riddled with ATV trails and some old quarry ponds full of bass. It is sketchy as gently caress and finding the trap made me want to explore it even more. It's all in the middle of a pretty densely populated area too.

At the gate by the traps there are these off shelf "No Trespassing" signs but filled out saything that the county owns it and the county police patrol it. There was a phone number so I called it and talked to some guy who claimed to be a county cop who was "in charge" of this patch of land. It was all very suspicious but he was really interested in the spike trap and asked me to go take a picture and txt it to him. All very wired and some day I need to call the county parks department and see what the gently caress is up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Warbird posted:

Could be some dude trying to protect his grow operation or something along those lines. What state was this in?

Maryland, pretty close to DC. The spikes are only like 100-200 feet down the trail from a public road, the one with the signs about the police patrols. The "cop" I talked to claimed to have a trail cam set up (which I did find) to pull license plates of people trespassing, but dude's camera was only like halfway to the spikes, so it seems super unlikely that anyone checking the camera would have never wandered jsut a bit further to find the spikes.

Verman posted:

Or someone who lives nearby and hates ATVs ripping through the trails. I've seen similar stuff on public land when people feel they are entitled to how it gets used despite having no legal say in the matter.

My current theory is that the guy I talked too is actual a cop, but has taken over this spot as his personal little recreation area and might be the one who set the spikes. I do believe he is a cop as he, during our weirdly long chat, mentioned that he can't do anything about the dirt bikes or ATVs as legally, driving them on public land is a traffic offence and the county has a strict "no pursuit" rule for non-felony traffic offences which is true. We ended the chat with me admitting that I am going to keep fishing there, accessing the property from the state park side (which is totally unposted) but would not be upset if I got a ticket. He laughed and said that was reasonable.

I have a friend who has some in's with the county gov, but thus far I have been too lazy to pursue the matter.

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Sierra Nevadan posted:

That's creepy though if the cop is planning to pop peoples tires when they are out in the woods?

I assume it was done by someone thoroughly displeased with all the dirt bikes, ATVs, jeeps, and Muddin trucks that tear through this area all the time, but who the gently caress knows who it actually is. Like I said this area of interconnected abandon parkland spans three different governmental owners, so I really don't know what's going on.

The new hotness in Maryland this to take old unused rail lines and turn them into these dumbass paved trails. There's a short little section of one that dumps you out right on the border of this redneck wonderland and it's always kind of hilarious when I come stumbling out of the woods after a day of fishing to discover a couple of cyclists in their little sonic the hedgehog outfits looking very confused at the horrible splendor laid out before them.

• Locked thread