Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
A few years ago while I was in the pasayten wilderness in North Central washington I found a rusted out hatchet head near an old shelter at devils park on the way through to jackita ridge. I roughly honed the edge and left it behind. Part of me wanted to bring it home and refinish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
I saw a lot of that on my backpacking trip this weekend in the enchantments in near Leavenworth washington.

I should have taken a photo but there was an old pull tab soup can style beer can on the trail a few miles in.

Also while climbing up asgard pass I ventured off the route to take a piss between these huge boulders and found this weathered and tattered canvas seattle supersonics hat which looked like it was easily from the 70s or 80s. It was 15' deep in this crack and impossible to retrieve. I just hoped it wasn't attached to a skull.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Or someone who lives nearby and hates ATVs ripping through the trails. I've seen similar stuff on public land when people feel they are entitled to how it gets used despite having no legal say in the matter.

Growing up, a neighbor of mine had a trail through this strip of woods along but outside his property line that eventually led out into a large wooded area where people routinely rode their dirt bikes. He always got pissed that kids rode their bicycles, dirt bikes and four wheelers through that 100 foot section of woods behind his fence that he started putting nails and nail boards to flatten tires as people went through. One of my other neighbors used to go through their walking his dogs and I remember riding my bike through the neighborhood seeing the two guys nearly fist fighting in his front yard over his dog stepping on the nails. The cops got involved.

Another trail not too far from my house had reports that someone tied wire across it deter people from using it. Welp some kid and his dad went through the trail on their dirtbikes and ended up in the hospital. One of our family friends was a local officer and retold the story to us. They suspected the guy who lives next to the trail as nobody else lived nearby. They set up a hunting trail camera and caught the guy putting wire or nails back on the trail. He spent a few years in jail if I remember correctly.

After that, I was always super nervous about going through trails at high speed.

• Locked thread