Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
IT LIVES

Finally got it to run! Turns out the ram simply wasn't clicking in correctly!

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 21:08 on May 23, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Col.Kiwi
Dec 28, 2004
And the grave digger puts on the forceps...
Yay you did it! Turns out whoever earlier said ram can need more force than you'd expect was right. Too bad it took a while to figure it out with help only being over the internet but who cares, you're up and running! Have fun

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Col.Kiwi posted:

Yay you did it! Turns out whoever earlier said ram can need more force than you'd expect was right. Too bad it took a while to figure it out with help only being over the internet but who cares, you're up and running! Have fun

Thanks guys! Oh and just a quick thing could I keep this thread open to ask questions as to how to turn the whole thing into a normal computer?

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Glad you got it working!
Get Windows on there using the usb thing you made and install the drivers on the motherboard CD (copy them to a usb pen too)
Install the motherboard drivers which will ensure you can get on the internet, and then goto the manufacturers website for your motherboard, ssd and gpu and get the latest drivers for it.
Then install steam and preload total war for release 8am tomorrow!!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ahdinko posted:

Glad you got it working!
Get Windows on there using the usb thing you made and install the drivers on the motherboard CD (copy them to a usb pen too)
Install the motherboard drivers which will ensure you can get on the internet, and then goto the manufacturers website for your motherboard, ssd and gpu and get the latest drivers for it.

I am much too tired to do this now, but I have the morning off work tomorrow, so I will do this then!

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
I'm glad to see it all worked out for you! And yeah, it's always something dumb like RAM not fully in, you want to push it in hard enough that the motherboard flexes a bit, that's how you know it's all the way in there.

Also you should thank your lucky stars that you didn't have to RMA the thing, that can end up being a real pain in the rear end, especially if you have to deal with the manufacturer instead of the retailer. :gonk:

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ahdinko posted:

Glad you got it working!

Sorry, just read through what it says on the MS website about installing it. Does that mean I will have to update the current system on my laptop to windows 10?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 24, 2016

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Nah you shouldnt have to, just make a Windows 10 installer pen and whack it on your new machine

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Ahdinko posted:

Nah you shouldnt have to, just make a Windows 10 installer pen and whack it on your new machine

Got it to work!

Though the screen resolution is a little weird, will I be able to muck around with this later?

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 10:40 on May 24, 2016

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Josef bugman posted:

Got it to work!

Though the screen resolution is a little weird, will I be able to muck around with this later?

Once you have your video card drivers installed you should be able to bump up the resolution to the correct one.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Once you have your video card drivers installed you should be able to bump up the resolution to the correct one.

Got the resolution working okay, but x-com 2 doesn't seem to want to work on the system. It keeps saying that there is an "unknown error" could it be something to do with the set up? If so how do you think I could fix it?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Heya guys, got another problem I am afraid, now my PC won't activate at all. I turned it off as normal last night before going to bed and now it won't turn on. The LED at the front turns on, as does the light on the graphics card, but none of the other parts of the mobo, not even the fan over the intel processor turns on.

Any explanations? Not hearing any noise from it and thought it best to talk to you guys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Hello guys, sorry to be back again but I am having a bit of difficulty. Although the PC has been working fine up till now I have encountered a bit of a puzzler of a problem. I had a bit of a problem with the motherboard lead coming undone and reattached it. However I find that now the entire system "spools up" for about 3 seconds then turns off, including the attached power supply, which was working earlier.

Does anyone have an explanation?

• Locked thread