Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiddler on the Reef
Apr 29, 2011

Obama was an ok president but his legacy is going to be gay marriage and weed and that's all. esp once Trump takes power.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine
His greatest failing was resisting the urge to steamroll over the Republicans when he had a majority. His attempt to compromise ultimately meant nothing as the conservatives stonewalled (and still do) all his initiatives and still call him a gay Muslim. Coming out as the reasonable one may make him look good in the long term, but it sure hosed up a lot of the progress he could have made.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Glass of Milk posted:

His greatest failing was resisting the urge to steamroll over the Republicans when he had a majority. His attempt to compromise ultimately meant nothing as the conservatives stonewalled (and still do) all his initiatives and still call him a gay Muslim. Coming out as the reasonable one may make him look good in the long term, but it sure hosed up a lot of the progress he could have made.

Im not sure you have taken the lessons of the election of 2010 to heart. People (voters!) didn't want any more lefty monoculture, and elected a congress to that end. Gay muslim or just a regular muslim doesn't really matter, people were sick of the republicans, gave the left 2 years of total control, and all we got for that is the Health Insurance Industry Full Employment Act

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Willie Tomg posted:

for a nation like the usa who talks such a big game about fighting al qaeda or "islamic extremism" or whatever i feel like not enough dialogue is given to the fact that hillary clinton literally wants to go to war so jabhat al-nusra can take over syria and genocide the alawites and that barack obama is literally, not figuratively but literally, the only reason we have not done so already and that most americans should be extremely grateful for that but are not because they are ignorant dog trash and we all deserve a succession of trash leaders.

Hillary 2016, after all, we haven't gotten in a new unwinnable war in a few years

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself

downout posted:

Imagine how awesome the economy would have been if W didn't tank it at the end there?

It would have crashed at some point, no matter what. By 2005 it was basically already way too late to get a leash around mortgage lending and there would have been 0 chance of helpful financial sector regulations.

W's real crime was devastating the budget with enormous tax cuts for rich people that did dick-all for job creation. He greatly exacerbated income inequality, turned a surplus to deficit, and spent most of his presidency interfering with people's feeding tubes and genitals. When he wasn't on his ranch, I mean.

And also censoring Climate Change research.

Grand Theft Autobot has issued a correction as of 13:31 on May 24, 2016

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Slime Bro Helpdesk posted:

Like I think there was an Ezra Kline article a year ago that was something like "Obama's a great president because he's done something about every issue he mentioned in 2008"?
for instance he talked about closing guantanamo a lot while doctors anally rapedrectally hydrated abductees held without charge for more than a decade

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

It would have crashed at some point, no matter what. By 2005 it was basically already way too late to get a leash around mortgage lending and there would have been 0 chance of helpful financial sector regulations.

It'll be interesting to see who gets to eat the blame for the student loan crash.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

It'll be interesting to see who gets to eat the blame for the student loan crash.

the big financial firms haven't paid hillary over $20m to get blamed for anything... it'll be... let's see, the koch brothers, rush limbaugh, the vrwc, the NFL, anyone but wall st connected firms or higher ed to blame for the student loan crisis

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
I have a lot of sympathy for Obama, unfortunately he came into office (at perhaps the start of) a highly polarizing time in US politics, which strongly conflicted with his entire outlook of consensus building.

Not getting involved in Syria may have been a bad decision, or it may have been the right one, I don't know, I can't blame him. His only real mistake was his 'red line'. Oh, and not telling Netanyahu to go gently caress himself when that blowhard started trying to mess with US domestic politics.

A Good President, overall.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Whoever is in office.

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

rudatron posted:

I have a lot of sympathy for Obama, unfortunately he came into office (at perhaps the start of) a highly polarizing time in US politics, which strongly conflicted with his entire outlook of consensus building.

Not getting involved in Syria may have been a bad decision, or it may have been the right one, I don't know, I can't blame him. His only real mistake was his 'red line'. Oh, and not telling Netanyahu to go gently caress himself when that blowhard started trying to mess with US domestic politics.

He did the right thing with Syria, and even the red line thing, I've had a sneaking suspicion that he didn't mind the bad press to make it clear to the world that the US wasn't getting involved beyond strongly worded letters and cross glances across the UNGA. I'm saying this as a not-fan of Obama overall

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rudatron posted:

hey he eventually got involved in syria which is why you now see jabhat al nusra and the rest of fatah halab blowing up kurds with US made TOW missiles

Gravy Train Robber
Sep 15, 2007

by zen death robot

rudatron posted:

Obama was a bad president who half-assed most of his policies. But I'm just going to focus in on Syria. We deliberately helped destabilize Syria, and the result of our policies was ISIS gaining strength. And we've continued to gently caress around in that country preventing the resolution of the crisis and turning it into a proxy conflict. We should not have involved ourselves with Syria at all. Getting brownie points for not going all the way and putting troops on the ground is insulting, as is the suggestion that our continued covert/overt interventions have had anything other than disastrous effects on national security. You can blame him. Its not something that just fell into his lap.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Obama was a bad president who half-assed most of his policies. But I'm just going to focus in on Syria. We deliberately helped destabilize Syria, and the result of our policies was ISIS gaining strength. And we've continued to gently caress around in that country preventing the resolution of the crisis and turning it into a proxy conflict. We should not have involved ourselves with Syria at all. Getting brownie points for not going all the way and putting troops on the ground is insulting, as is the suggestion that our continued covert/overt interventions have had anything other than disastrous effects on national security. You can blame him. Its not something that just fell into his lap.

He ENDED the iraq war successfu-wait

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
BIN LADEN IS DEAD AND GENERAL MOTORS IS ALIVE

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
most transparent administration in history, friend of arab democracy
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2015/mar/16/whistleblowers-double-standard-obama-david-petraeus-chelsea-manning
https://exposefacts.org/president-who-had-yemeni-journalist-jailed-criticizes-impunity-for-mistreatment-of-journalists/
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-egypt-military-idUSKBN0MR2GR20150401

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

I was hoping he'd be more like LBJ on dealing with opposition senators or threaten to put an additional 6 SCJs on the bench as FDR wanted.

I was also hoping that the First Lady would have gone with a huge afro to give every republican heart attacks.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
assad destabilized syria perfectly well by himself, not everything is a cia conspiracy, other countries have their own domestic policies you know

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
some things are also mossad conspiracies

Locker Room Zubaz
Aug 8, 2006

:horse:
~*~THE SECRET OF THE MAGICAL CRYSTALS IS THAT I'M FUCKING TERRIBLE~*~

:horse:
Obama did some good things and he is definitely the coolest and most stylish president we will have which means he is destined for his face on money

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Locker Room Zubaz posted:

Obama did some good things and he is definitely the coolest and most stylish president we will have which means he is destined for his face on money

3 dolla bill y'all

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

paul_soccer10 posted:

some things are also mossad conspiracies

dont forget the vast right wing conspiracy

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Powercrazy posted:

My favorite part is that one of the first things brought up on the whitehouse.gov petition page was marijuana legalization and Obama just laughed and said "nope," even though he could unilaterally deschedule it making it de facto legal.

This isn't getting enough love imo

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Gravy Train Robber posted:

Well US presidents have a habit of full-assing their policies, so maybe that's a plus :shrug: I also can't say he made an objectively bad decision, with what he knew at the time. Hindsight is 50/50.

And Iraq is kind of something that did fall into his lap, the rise of ISIS into Iraq stems from decisions made during the Bush years (firing the old army entirely being the big one - wonder what unemployed young men with firearms training are going to do?), and it's the push of ISI into Iraq that has helped their campaign in syria. I'm also not sure his decision have had 'anything other than a disastrous effect on national security', if only because the threat to US national security from terrorism is basically constant at this point, because of the way the US is perceived and its relationship to Israel. Which he did legitimately, honestly try to change, but he had the misfortune of dealing with Netanyahu, probably the most paranoid man in Israel.

rudatron has issued a correction as of 16:52 on May 24, 2016

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I feel like being called great should indicate you did something great.

The Saurus
Dec 3, 2006

by Smythe
i guess another 8 years of maintaining the horrible status quo will seem pretty good to us in the future when we know how bad things can really get

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
my favorite memory of president obama will be how he got up on national media to tell americans that they must not be "too sanctimonious" about the fact that we literally tortured prisoners to death

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
also about how his attorney general was too chickenshit to prosecute banks for laundering money for drug cartels

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

also about how his attorney general was too chickenshit to prosecute banks for laundering money for drug cartels

you're confusing "too chickenshit to" with "in the pocket of and in servitude to"

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Remember when he said we couldn't trust Mitt Romney with the executive drone strike list and everyone was like "uhhhhhhhhhh" then he told a funny joke so it was all good?

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
important thing to remember is that "best president" is a pretty low bar. all of these criticisms have to be weighed against the actions of other presidents

not prosecuting the bankers is one of the biggest failures that i put on obama

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

baw posted:

important thing to remember is that "best president" is a pretty low bar. all of these criticisms have to be weighed against the actions of other presidents

not prosecuting the bankers is one of the biggest failures that i put on obama

breaking news, liberal rube actually thought that President Goldman Sachs was going to do something about actual Goldman Sachs

Glass of Milk
Dec 22, 2004
to forgive is divine

gobbagool posted:

Im not sure you have taken the lessons of the election of 2010 to heart. People (voters!) didn't want any more lefty monoculture, and elected a congress to that end. Gay muslim or just a regular muslim doesn't really matter, people were sick of the republicans, gave the left 2 years of total control, and all we got for that is the Health Insurance Industry Full Employment Act

I disagree. He came into power on a platform of change, and did some moderately left-ish stuff, but failed to re-energize the folks who brought him into office. This was an election which featured the prominence of the tea party, a reactionary group so mad about the ACA and HARP they targeted not only Democrats but Republicans who had the gall to negotiate those agreements. You also had the gradual phase-in of the ACA, which didn't affect too many people apart from a couple of vulnerable groups.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY
one thing you have to keep in mind if you decide to respond to gobbagool is that gobbagool is an idiot

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Willie Tomg posted:

for a nation like the usa who talks such a big game about fighting al qaeda or "islamic extremism" or whatever i feel like not enough dialogue is given to the fact that hillary clinton literally wants to go to war so jabhat al-nusra can take over syria and genocide the alawites and that barack obama is literally, not figuratively but literally, the only reason we have not done so already and that most americans should be extremely grateful for that but are not because they are ignorant dog trash and we all deserve a succession of trash leaders.

He should be remembered as a pretty bad, eight-year dam against some cosmically horrendous nightmare scenarios that will probably end up happening anyway

Instead, the history will be rewritten and he'll turn into a near-MLK figure, where only the most hosed monsters won't deign to point to his memory whenever they need meaningless rhetorical fluff or want to justify some horseshit

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
When, on his final day in office and with his final executive order, he made being white illegal.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I like the idea that one of his greatest achievements seems to be not listening to his Secretary of State

downout
Jul 6, 2009

I feel like being called great should indicate you did something great.

It all was great. Everything.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

I heard Obummer was gonna open up some FEMA camps and put rightwing assholes in them, so that's a p cool thing imho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gobbagool
Feb 5, 2016

by R. Guyovich
Doctor Rope

baw posted:

one thing you have to keep in mind if you decide to respond to gobbagool is that gobbagool is an idiot

It's an honor to be called an idiot by the very god emperor of idiots

• Locked thread