Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
BREAKING NEWS: Chris Coleman has signed a two year contract extension, which will make his post-tournament sacking all the more awkward.

Tournament, meet Wales. Wales, meet tournament. The Welsh haven't had a chance to bring their leeks, daffodils and favourite sheep to a major finals since 1958*, but thanks to a Golden Generation(tm) of one and a half genuine quality footballers (and a generously expanded tournament format) the 'years of hurt' are finally over.

Wales will be allowed to play the following games in France this summer (maybe more??):

vs. Slofakia (17:00 BST Saturday 11th June) in Bordeaux
vs. Lloegr (14:00 BST Thursday 16th June) in Lens
vs. Russia (20:00 BST Monday 20th June) in Toulouse

Wales beat the 2nd best team in the world in qualifying and got a solid series of results against similarly fake countries (Andorra, Israel, Bosnia AND Heregovina at the same time) by defending deep in a back 5 and giving the ball to the world's most expensive footballer at every opportunity.

The final 23 man squad hasn't been announced yet but here are some of the most likely members:

Goalkeeper - Wayne Hennessey (Crystal Palace)

He's quite tall, but otherwise a bit poo poo. Status: Actually Welsh

Centreback - James Collins (West Ham)

He's quite bald (see above). Otherwise a bit poo poo. Status: Actually Welsh

Centreback - Ashley Williams (Swansea City)

He's captain of Wales, he's captain of Waaaaaales. Swansea's 3rd best centreback. Status: Not really Welsh

Centreback - James Chester (West Bromwich Albion)

Possibly fictious. Definitely not really Welsh.

"Wingback" - Neil Taylor (Swansea City)

Coleman plays him as a wingback even though he can't pass, cross or shoot. Regular winner of Indian footballer of the year. Status: Actually Welsh.

"Centreback" - Ben Davies (Spurs)

Coleman plays him as a centreback even though he can pass, cross and shoot, but not defend. Was earning only £500 a week (before tax) when he broke into the Swansea first team. Status: Actually Welsh.

Wingback - Chris Gunter (Reading Rainbows)

Wales most-capped current player and still only 26. Really? Average Championship full-back who keeps turning up even when he's not invited. Status: Actually Welsh.

Midfield - Joe Allen (Liverpoo)

If Xavi and Pirlo had a Welsh baby. Come home, Joe. Klopp doesn't appreciate you and there's more room for your chickens. Status: Actually Welsh

Midfield - Premier League Champion Andy King (Leicester City)

Also won League One and Championship titles with Leicester. Hope he's brought Ranieri's "pizza" with him. Status: Not really Welsh

Midfield - Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal)

When he scores, people die. Directly responsible for the deaths of Alan Rickman, Robin Williams, Paul Walker, Whitney Houston, Steve Bruce, David Bowie and Osama Bin Laden. He's a bit poo poo for Wales tbh. Actually Welsh

Midfield - Joe Ledley (Crystal Palace)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kUEUjrewPI

Lovable bearded scamp who likes to spit on opposition supporters. Currently injured and I hope he stays that way forever. Status: Cardiff scum.

Wherever he wants - Gareth Bale (Real Madrid)

Some Slovakian clogger is going to break him in the first game and I will cry. Or he'll tear his hamstring in the warmup. Actually Welsh

sassassin fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Chris Coleman took over for Gary Speed after the latter's unfortunate death in November 2011. He had a rough start but results picked up, and a policy of not playing friendly matches saw Wales spring quickly up the FIFA world rankings, reaching a high of 8th in October 2015.

During qualification he favoured a formation along these lines:

code:
                Hennessey
Gunter  Collins  Williams  Davies  Taylor
          Allen  Ramsey  Ledley
                  Bale
             Hal Robson Kanu
It's pure counter-attack, and struggled against the minnows of the qualification group. If not for a late Gareth Bale free kick, Wales would have drawn away to Andorra, whose best player is an awful plastic pitch. Against "Big Teams" it could work well, though, and teams trying to find space in behind the Welsh defence could struggle, because there probably won't be any.

Potentially another Denmark or Greece? Bet your house on it imo.

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Im so excited, come on lads lets win the euros

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmHnnkzgjCI

Heres the wales euro song by the manics

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

I love this picture, Gareth Bale owns.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

atomic gog posted:

Pure cringe

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Ireland's one is shaping up pretty bad as well, I have a teaser in my OP....:smithicide:

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
Wow that song is awful.

My grandad died this year and he was on the Welsh FA and as it turned out was a pretty important man there to an extent that Id never realised. He wasnt the most talkative at family gatherings but I always used to sit and talk football with him, I remember sat there trying to persuade him to sack Bobby Gould and hire Toshack back. Pretty sad that he didnt get to see the end of this journey.

Genuinely excited at seeing us at a tournament. Dont know how many times Ive seen Bodin miss that penalty.

Hope we do well. Id always said that if we got to a major tournament that I'd go but with getting married this year I cant spare it at all.

Final note - whoever scheduled Wales -England at 2pm on a thursday is an idiot.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Or a genius as it means you get to leave work at 1pm and go out drinking all afternoon.

To drown your sorrows after getting mauled by three hungry lions!!!

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
Then I'd have to book friday off too.

Al2001
Apr 7, 2007

You've gone through at the back

atomic gog posted:

Haha is this real? I mean I expected it to be crap cos the manics are bad (sorry UK smalltown thirtysomethings) but still

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Al2001 posted:

the manics are bad (sorry UK smalltown thirtysomethings)

I'll fight you over this (but that song is pretty awful)

Honestly, James Collins has been playing the best football of his life this season so I think he can temporarily be upgraded to "not entirely poo poo". West Ham's defence has been shaky as gently caress without him playing and I'm glad that he's found his form in time for a major tournament.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

sassassin posted:

During qualification he favoured a formation along these lines:

code:
                Hennessey
Gunter  Collins  Williams  Davies  Taylor
          Allen  Ramsey  Ledley
                  Bale
             Hal Robson Kanu

No wonder Wales qualified, 13 players

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
gareth bale looks like a monkey

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bea Nanner posted:

gareth bale looks like a monkey

Oh yeah, tough guy? Well the op has now been updated with even more cracking player bios so if you've got any more gems feel free to share.

Cymru am byth

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Fan of Britches
I really feel like this is a shameful op, how about some more stylistic graphics, maybe some Bolding for the player names. Ugh its disgraceful.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
That sounds a bit web 2.0 for my tastes tbh.

Players will be bolded when confirmed as part of Chris Coleman's 23 man squad on May 31st.

Who are we hoping makes the cut? Personally I'd like to see my close personal friend Dave Edwards in France, but he faces some stiff competition from the likes of Emyr Huws and David Vaughn (does he still play?) in midfield.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

sassassin posted:

Players will be bolded when confirmed as part of Chris Coleman's 23 man squad on May 31st.

not enough gradients mate

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

sassassin posted:

Who are we hoping makes the cut? Personally I'd like to see my close personal friend Dave Edwards in France, but he faces some stiff competition from the likes of Emyr Huws and David Vaughn (does he still play?) in midfield.

I think Bale will make the cut but he's got some stiff competition from *checks notes* um, George William??

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

vyelkin posted:

I think Bale will make the cut but he's got some stiff competition from *checks notes* um, George William??

I don't know about George but Johnny Williams looked good in the last few games.

Good at football, anyway. Physically he still looks like a gremlin.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Lens is banning the sale of alcohol for the day of the Wales - England game.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
hmm... what about the day before? I mean I am sure Welsh and English fans are resourceful enough to locate their own booze supply.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

JFairfax posted:

hmm... what about the day before? I mean I am sure Welsh and English fans are resourceful enough to locate their own booze supply.

I'm sure they'll stock up on the duty free on the ferry over.

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
I am genuinely baffled by the Wales Euro 2016 theme tune being done by the Manic Street Preachers. You'd think they'd give the gig to the Super Furry Animals.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
are there any other welsh bands?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=27jB6MvX4mQ

the furry animals do like footy at least.

also I love this remix they did of that roots manuva tune

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg8OSOVLOSo

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
Even the Stereophonics could probably do better than "With Ashley Williams we will win any fight."

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
should have got goldie looking chain to do it imho

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

JFairfax posted:

should have got goldie looking chain to do it imho

The second best band I ever met walking up the hill to Aber uni.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
what was the best?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Not technically a band but Chesney Hawkes.

Liberty X a distant third. They refused to go on at the May Ball after the chocolate fountain caught fire. Plus there were some bottles thrown. They were also in a limo instead of walking the lazy sods.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

sassassin posted:

Not technically a band but Chesney Hawkes.

Liberty X a distant third. They refused to go on at the May Ball after the chocolate fountain caught fire. Plus there were some bottles thrown. They were also in a limo instead of walking the lazy sods.

Still better than 3/7ths of S Club and 3/4 of Aqua

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
North Wales hasn't produced a decent footballer since Michael Owen and should be ashamed of itself

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Place about ten of those in the OP

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
always poo poo on the welsh side of the bridge

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Im sure the Lostprophets would have done it for cheap.

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Shoulda got high contrast to put out a proper club banger imo

atomic gog
Apr 11, 2005

Winner June 2013 POTM
Goldie lookin chain have some cracking songs about football, i would love to hear their take on a wales euro 2016 song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skNc9RFBAek

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhF0uv4Gvkg

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART

Carrier posted:

Im sure the Lostprophets would have done it for cheap.

Maybe for the U-18 cup

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Aggro posted:

Maybe for the U-18 cup

lol

• Locked thread