Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
BREAKING NEWS: Chris Coleman has signed a two year contract extension, which will make his post-tournament sacking all the more awkward.

Tournament, meet Wales. Wales, meet tournament. The Welsh haven't had a chance to bring their leeks, daffodils and favourite sheep to a major finals since 1958*, but thanks to a Golden Generation(tm) of one and a half genuine quality footballers (and a generously expanded tournament format) the 'years of hurt' are finally over.

Wales will be allowed to play the following games in France this summer (maybe more??):

vs. Slofakia (17:00 BST Saturday 11th June) in Bordeaux
vs. Lloegr (14:00 BST Thursday 16th June) in Lens
vs. Russia (20:00 BST Monday 20th June) in Toulouse

Wales beat the 2nd best team in the world in qualifying and got a solid series of results against similarly fake countries (Andorra, Israel, Bosnia AND Heregovina at the same time) by defending deep in a back 5 and giving the ball to the world's most expensive footballer at every opportunity.

The final 23 man squad hasn't been announced yet but here are some of the most likely members:

Goalkeeper - Wayne Hennessey (Crystal Palace)

He's quite tall, but otherwise a bit poo poo. Status: Actually Welsh

Centreback - James Collins (West Ham)

He's quite bald (see above). Otherwise a bit poo poo. Status: Actually Welsh

Centreback - Ashley Williams (Swansea City)

He's captain of Wales, he's captain of Waaaaaales. Swansea's 3rd best centreback. Status: Not really Welsh

Centreback - James Chester (West Bromwich Albion)

Possibly fictious. Definitely not really Welsh.

"Wingback" - Neil Taylor (Swansea City)

Coleman plays him as a wingback even though he can't pass, cross or shoot. Regular winner of Indian footballer of the year. Status: Actually Welsh.

"Centreback" - Ben Davies (Spurs)

Coleman plays him as a centreback even though he can pass, cross and shoot, but not defend. Was earning only £500 a week (before tax) when he broke into the Swansea first team. Status: Actually Welsh.

Wingback - Chris Gunter (Reading Rainbows)

Wales most-capped current player and still only 26. Really? Average Championship full-back who keeps turning up even when he's not invited. Status: Actually Welsh.

Midfield - Joe Allen (Liverpoo)

If Xavi and Pirlo had a Welsh baby. Come home, Joe. Klopp doesn't appreciate you and there's more room for your chickens. Status: Actually Welsh

Midfield - Premier League Champion Andy King (Leicester City)

Also won League One and Championship titles with Leicester. Hope he's brought Ranieri's "pizza" with him. Status: Not really Welsh

Midfield - Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal)

When he scores, people die. Directly responsible for the deaths of Alan Rickman, Robin Williams, Paul Walker, Whitney Houston, Steve Bruce, David Bowie and Osama Bin Laden. He's a bit poo poo for Wales tbh. Actually Welsh

Midfield - Joe Ledley (Crystal Palace)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_kUEUjrewPI

Lovable bearded scamp who likes to spit on opposition supporters. Currently injured and I hope he stays that way forever. Status: Cardiff scum.

Wherever he wants - Gareth Bale (Real Madrid)

Some Slovakian clogger is going to break him in the first game and I will cry. Or he'll tear his hamstring in the warmup. Actually Welsh

sassassin fucked around with this message at 10:35 on May 24, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Chris Coleman took over for Gary Speed after the latter's unfortunate death in November 2011. He had a rough start but results picked up, and a policy of not playing friendly matches saw Wales spring quickly up the FIFA world rankings, reaching a high of 8th in October 2015.

During qualification he favoured a formation along these lines:

code:
                Hennessey
Gunter  Collins  Williams  Davies  Taylor
          Allen  Ramsey  Ledley
                  Bale
             Hal Robson Kanu
It's pure counter-attack, and struggled against the minnows of the qualification group. If not for a late Gareth Bale free kick, Wales would have drawn away to Andorra, whose best player is an awful plastic pitch. Against "Big Teams" it could work well, though, and teams trying to find space in behind the Welsh defence could struggle, because there probably won't be any.

Potentially another Denmark or Greece? Bet your house on it imo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

atomic gog posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmHnnkzgjCI

Heres the wales euro song by the manics

Pure cringe

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Bea Nanner posted:

gareth bale looks like a monkey

Oh yeah, tough guy? Well the op has now been updated with even more cracking player bios so if you've got any more gems feel free to share.

Cymru am byth

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
That sounds a bit web 2.0 for my tastes tbh.

Players will be bolded when confirmed as part of Chris Coleman's 23 man squad on May 31st.

Who are we hoping makes the cut? Personally I'd like to see my close personal friend Dave Edwards in France, but he faces some stiff competition from the likes of Emyr Huws and David Vaughn (does he still play?) in midfield.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

vyelkin posted:

I think Bale will make the cut but he's got some stiff competition from *checks notes* um, George William??

I don't know about George but Johnny Williams looked good in the last few games.

Good at football, anyway. Physically he still looks like a gremlin.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Lens is banning the sale of alcohol for the day of the Wales - England game.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

JFairfax posted:

hmm... what about the day before? I mean I am sure Welsh and English fans are resourceful enough to locate their own booze supply.

I'm sure they'll stock up on the duty free on the ferry over.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

JFairfax posted:

should have got goldie looking chain to do it imho

The second best band I ever met walking up the hill to Aber uni.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Not technically a band but Chesney Hawkes.

Liberty X a distant third. They refused to go on at the May Ball after the chocolate fountain caught fire. Plus there were some bottles thrown. They were also in a limo instead of walking the lazy sods.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

JFairfax posted:

Hoops got confused by the thread tags being the same and should have posted this here:

That kind of talk belongs in the England thread. Mods?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Tom Bradshaw (Walsall) is out with a calf injury. Our hopes, dashed.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Andy King says to get your bets in now.

quote:

We've got the best player in the tournament so why can't we win it?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36379633

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

starksfergie posted:

For all of you chomping at the bit, SFA did do a Wales Euro 2016 song (not sure it is actually attached)

But very silly and fun (and an old Welsh folk song to boot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fqXpWvEW3ZU

That's class.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Adam Henley (Blackburn) has pulled out of the Portugal training camp.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Big Taff Man posted:

Have Catatonia done a Euros song yet???

Dream On or Do You Believe In Me? or Whale(s)

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Pissflaps posted:

Can't see Wales doing well in this tournament.

Should've gone to specsavers, mate.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

atomic gog posted:

Theyre announcing the squad today at 2:30!

Bit early, Coleman must be a night owl. Who was in it?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

Goalkeepers: Wayne Hennessey (Crystal Palace), Danny Ward (Liverpool), Owain Fon Williams (Inverness). 3

Defenders: Ben Davies (Tottenham Hotspur), Neil Taylor (Swansea City), Chris Gunter (Reading), Ashley Williams (Captain, Swansea), James Chester (West Brom), Ashley Richards (Fulham), Paul Dummett (Newcastle), Adam Matthews (Sunderland), James Collins (West Ham). 7

Midfielders: Aaron Ramsey (Arsenal), Joe Ledley (Crystal Palace], David Vaughan (Nottingham Forest), Joe Allen (Liverpool), David Cotterill (Birmingham City), Jonathan Williams (Crystal Palace), George Williams (Fulham), Andy King (Leicester), Emyr Huws (Wigan), Dave Edwards (Wolves). 8

Forwards: Gareth Bale (Real Madrid), Hal Robson-Kanu (Reading), Sam Vokes (Burnley), Simon Church (MK Dons), Wes Burns (Bristol City) 3

imo

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Bale counts as 3.

Henley picked up an injury, Dummet's a geordie, and Matthews is poo poo and can't last 90 minutes so he'll be no use in a tournament.

Joe PEDley in.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Dunno how Emyr Huws hasn't made that squad. Always looked tidy in a Wales shirt.

I think we'll be alright in defence; 5 of them played at CB in qualifying, and 4 are natural full-backs. Plus 5 at the back gives everyone better cover.

Church feels like a waste of a slot. Not sure what he does tbh. 4 players going for one position, as if Bale gets injured it's a midfielder that takes his job.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Big Taff Man posted:

In 50 years time?

mods

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Wales play Sweden today at 3pm.

Bale is going to play and get injured.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Without Bale and Allen we're complete poo poo.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
These swedes are filth

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

coleman is a fraud who had the FA line up poo poo opposition for friendlies and got baled out the rest of the time

We didn't play friendlies for ages which was good because international football is poo poo/

atomic gog posted:

Yeah. Weve been really poo poo for a while now im a bit worried for next week...

Cant believe Emyr Huws isnt going, hes the only player who didnt look loving useless today. And why did they even bring him on when hes not going to France?!?

Hopefully Ledley took a turn for the worse.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Blue Star Error posted:

That didn't go well for his predecessor

reported. enjoy your ban.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

quote:

Midfielders Joe Allen and Joe Ledley and striker Hal Robson-Kanu missed Sunday’s 3-0 friendly defeat in Sweden, but all three look set to feature in Wales' tournament opener against Slovakia on Saturday.

"All three players came through sessions yesterday, fully integrated with the squad, so it’s positive news," said Coleman.

"All three players are good, lacking game-time but physically they look very good.

"If situation stays the same, the three will be available this weekend."

Joe is vital to the midfield and while Hal Robson Kanu is definitely poo poo, he is sort of fast and runs about a lot so offers more up front than Sam Vokes.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Your guide to the squad by Captain "Big" Ash (an Englishman):

Wayne Hennessey - "Has a double act with Joe Ledley" (sever)

Owain Fon Williams - "If there's a guitar and a beer he's there"

Danny Ward - "Don't know much about him"

Neil Taylor - "He bores me because I see him every day"

James Chester - "Chezzy"

James Collins - "He's got ADHD, he can't sit still or relax, he's never in his room"

Ben Davies - "Ben's job is quizmaster" (sever)

Ashley "Jazz" Richards - "He's important to the team" (lol)

Chris Gunter - "Gunts is annoying... the biggest moaner I've ever known"

Joe Allen - "We have a Whatsapp messaging group and at least once a week we have a Joe Allen Appreciation day."

David Cotterill - "Very, very loud"

My close personal friend David Edwards - "Far quieter than the likes of me"

Andy King - "Dry sense of humour... if you're close to him he'll let you have it" (knob)

George Williams - "Not the brightest and I don't know how he's got through life so far."

Johnny Williams - "Great lad, terrible hair. Honestly, it's awful."

Aaron Ramsey - "Does get a little bit involved with the banter" (A beard is like a haircut for your face)

Joe Ledley - "Deadly... massive... something"

David Vaughan - "Just a mouse. Don't think I've heard him speak"

Gareth Bale - "Baleo is Baleo"

Sam Vokes - "The biggest head you'll ever find... just literally massive head.

Simon Church - "The butt of most people's jokes"

Hal Robson Kanu - "Absolutely loves himself"

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Lads

Lads

loving he'll

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Yesterday was a good day.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

they can probably even get away with a loss with the shite changes to the tournament

If England beat Slovakia then a loss to Russia puts us third on head to head. Could be enough, yeah.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Bale.

He's literally the only reason. If we had a good manager we might have scraped through qualification without him, but as it stands it's all about Bale.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
To0-3asy

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Troy Queef posted:

Wales are through and I'm gwlad

gwlad

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The Big Taff Man posted:

balding know it alls who cant get a date due to their abrasive personalities, apologies Ive just described sassassin

I'm not balding you daft oval office.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Wales next game is in Paris on Saturday 25th June at 17:00 BST against Norn Ireland or Turkey.

I think. Are Albania still in it?

gently caress it, wake me up for the semi against Croatia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Thank gently caress football's back on today.

• Locked thread