Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Doesn't think, just types.

Emalde posted:

I was running on a 550ti during open beta, the game scales relatively well.

:whatup: miserable graphics card buddy.

It runs real smooth on even that old piece of poo poo, as long as you lower the details a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Release date, woot woot.

I just realized with shields regenerating that Symmetra's team shield probably doesn't work like I had assumed. I figured she gave people a shield that slowly wore off and she'd have to top it off as a form of healing, but shields regenerate. So apparently its permanent until they die, that's cool. Does that mean you can theoretically put shields on your whole team as long as they don't die, or can you only have on shield up at a time?

Yep, whole team.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

I feel like I might join the dork side and finally be the bad Reaper every match deserves now that the game's actually launching and I can blend in with all the other bad newbies.

Either that or Zenyatta, the other hero I suck as and thus never got to play.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

kaleedity posted:

speaking of d3, the new wow expansion brought back the concept of <area boss monster taunts you impotently from off screen>

This has been in every WoW expansion that I remember.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Anyone else trying to launch the game every five minutes hoping they turned the servers on a few minutes too early

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Come on Blizzard I want to play a few games before I have to sleep :f5:

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Cage Kicker posted:

Wait are people for real that mad or is the joke going right over my head

They aren't mad for real yet but if the game still doesn't work in an hour then it'll be real

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

net cafe scandal posted:

It's working for me, restart Battle.net.

Holy poo poo that actually worked

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Microwaves Mom posted:

Its real bad out there right now. I can't believe the number of idiotic combo teams i've been on.

E:
Literally I'll pick a tank cause we dont have one and the team isn't doing well so other people start picking the same hero as me thinking magically 4 d'vas will defeat ad ecent team comp.

Yeah half of my ten games or so have had double Hanzos, but I mean, what else would you expect.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Night Blade posted:

Contrary to what some have been saying, I've been having a good time so far. No incredibly bad teams, tried playing Genji and wondered why he exists, tried McCree and he's fun; but nothing beats Zarya stomping for me so far.

I on the other hand tried playing Genji and holy poo poo is being a mechasamurai who kills turrets and bastions fun.

Ultimate usually results in my death though.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Aww yeah got the Sigrun skin for Mercy.

Time to bring Valhalla.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

I feel like Bastion and Torb's Turrets just aren't as effective as they used to be. Do people just know how to counter them or have there been some balance changes?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Some of the abilities in this game really need more noticeable range markers.

Like Reaper's "die die die" which I thought was just the red cloud around him but it's actually way bigger than that. Also Zarya's black hole, which I have no idea but I missed my target with it and enemies flew into it from miles away.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Failboattootoot posted:

Feels like they hosed up roadhog's hook. Having a lot more instances of hooking people just for them to get caught on scenery instead of getting dragged to me. Or getting dragged to me at weird angles. Almost never happened in OB but it has consistently happened every game I've hog'd in so far.

I've been hooked through walls a few times now so I think it's working too well

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

President Ark posted:

reaper fucks up tanks pretty hard; most of them have armor which reduces damage taken especially by attacks that fire small shots rapidly but reaper's shotguns don't respect armor and just kill you anyway

plus tanks are usually big and thus easy to meatshot

Reaper's shotguns ignore armor? What kind of weirdo design is that? Is there like an encyclopedia somewhere where i can read about mystery mechanics?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

This game really needs a plain deathmatch mode so solostars Reaper, Genji and McCree who don't want to stand on the points can actually be useful.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

Please help, I love this game but have played like one FPS game ever and my aim is total poo poo, but I want to be able to play and enjoy characters who aren't Symmetra and Winston. Is there some way to effectively practice to improve my aim? Even as characters everyone recommends for beginners like Reaper, people run circles around me and I'm not quick enough turning around/get disoriented with all the spinning so they kill me.

Aim with your arm, not your wrist, is probably the only thing that's down to technique. The rest is just learning.

You could also play heroes like Pharah where a near miss is enough.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Minorkos posted:

yeah he's pretty stupid and only weirdos defend his dumb hero design

He's only stupid in a vacuum. He's needed to counter heroes like Tracer who are actually stupid.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

How do you not die when using Reaper's ult?

Like seriously the second I leave ghostwalk everyone focuses me down and I'm the one who die die dies.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Good advice. I'd just seen a lot of PotGs where they just ghostwalk into the middle of the team and everyone dies, so I thought it'd work for me too.

It doesn't.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

The game really needs a voice clip that goes "find and destroy the teleporter"

Captain Autismo shuts pub games down with those harder than a pro Widowmaker.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

I find that Soldier 76 is actually decent against Widowmaker. They tend to stand still and landing helix rockets will force her to go away. Plus you have perfect accuracy on the first shot or two so you can plink her to death too.

I'm sure it doesn't work against very good ones but I haven't met any of those yet.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Turning my mouse sensitivity way the hell down turned me into a headshot monster as Widowmaker.

The problem is now I want to play Widowmaker so that means every team will have two.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Minrad posted:

tonight on Overwatch Investigations: Gabriel Reyes, known more commonly by his callsign "Reaper," is he a blackface black man, or simply pandering to fans of Bowling for Columbine? Something Awful reports. But first, a message from your local resident shitposter

He's Mexican or something, not black, stop blackwatching.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Minrad posted:

So would pandarens be blackface or whiteface, or would you just call it more of a greyface?

Furface, they're appropriating furry culture.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Dias posted:

I think the funniest thing to me is that Blizz couldn't think of how to make a Brazilian stereotype that wasn't mean-spirited so we just got native English speaker DJ that likes hooooockey????

Did Brazil get really cold because of Overwatch-lore events? Like, legit question here.

How about Torbjörn though, he's Blizzard's idea of Sweden.

So, dwarven engineers, or bikers or pirates.

I think it's better to think of them as some fantasy countries that happen to have the same names as IRL.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

I had to check up on it and turns out Torbjörn is from my home city in Sweden.

Welp, guess I can't play anyone else now. Time to embrace the dwarfness.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

I just realized that a few of the squishier characters are actually kinda hard to kill as Roadhog because their hitboxes are so narrow. So half of your projectiles just sail past them.

Widowmaker and D.Va outside of her suit, especially. They're like a couple pixels thick.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

I'd probably have been something like that Marvel Diablo clone.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

I've started seeing more and more McCrees in quickmatch and I have no idea what to do.

Roadhog? Nope, if I hook him he stuns and escapes or just kills me. Tracer? Nope, shut down. Reaper? Nope, even from behind I can't kill him before he turns around.

The only way out I see is Widowmaker, but even then I can only shut him down if he's out in the open like a drooling idiot.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

sarmhan posted:

Yea, he's only 200 hp so it should be an instant kill

No, he can flashbang you instantly, before you get a shot off.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

I put a turret on one of the moving platforms in Volskaya. PotG was me standing on the point looking around while the turret was somewhere else getting kills.

Great.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Something that does bother me about Mei is she can still contest points while invulnerable.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Harrow posted:

Jesus, it's fun to be Zenyatta when you have a coordinated team who communicates. Even just two people with mics and the rest of the team being willing to listen to them makes a huge difference. We had a Reinhardt calling out enemy positions and making sure to communicate when his shield was low and we just stomped. Plus people were really good at focusing whoever I put Discord on.

I felt bad for the defending team's Bastion. He just got poo poo on any time he tried to set up in sentry mode.

Still think Zenyatta needs a bit more health and/or some sort of mobility option, though. That was a rare circumstance.

Literally any amount of health would fix him IMO, since even one point would prevent him from being bodyshotted by any Widowmaker.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Are Symmetra's orbs fully charged when the two circles overlap or do they need to actually leave the gun on their own for full power?

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

Pharrah's epic skins are better than her legendary ones imo.

This is true for almost every hero.

Mercy's viking skin, Zenyatta's Ra skin and maybe that purple one for Reaper are the only legendaries I like.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Look at the poor who doesn't have mechaqueen.

If it was for anyone else it'd be good but sadly Pharah has Anubis which is probably the best skin in the game.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

This is a PSA:
Please, do not play Torbjörn on KOTH, you will not get anything done unless your team is already carrying you so hard the other team can't push in or do anything. All you will be able to do is run around and poo poo armor packs everywhere.
Thank you.

I think this is actually a good thing.

Put down a level one turret, spend the rest of the time spamming armor on everyone and killing people with your gun.

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Broken Cog posted:

The level 1 turret has 150 hp. It dies in less than a second.

Yes, but meanwhile your team lives longer and you still have a pretty strong gun. Plus it'll distract people for that second that they don't spend chasing your healer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoughtless
Feb 1, 2007

Junkrat finally "clicked" for me. Nothing like taking down a flying Pharah with the mine. They never see it coming.

It's also baffling how many people walk right into the steel trap despite it being huge and obvious, but hey, free kills.

His area denial potential is just ridiculous.