Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Ddraig posted:

Overwatch reminds me of the early TF2 when it was actually balanced and each character had clearly defined roles and you didn't really have to wonder what type of bullshit you would be up against today.

In Overwatch, when you see a hero you instantly know what they can do and how they're going to play and you don't have to wonder "What particular brand of bullshit is this class running?"

this is actually my reason for playing Overwatch instead of TF2. That and the larger, newer playerbase. Aside from that I don't think Overwatch is superior in any way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...

BUY IT.
I was surprised that Mei was bottom-tier according to the actual competitive data. Not just because all the casuals, like me, think she's really strong, but because Seagull said he thought she'd be a competitive character.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
I feel bad for the people who worked on Battleborn, but what were they thinking? They're going to release right against Blizzard and expect people to flock to their game?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

lol if you didn't spring for the Origins edition for the sweet, meaningless digital loot :smuggo:

I'm spending the $20 I saved on weed

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
I had some fun with Borderlands, but it really should've at least randomized the enemy spawns a little bit

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
I'm gonna go back to pretending this game has no lore whatsoever

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
wow, apparently they put in an easter egg, if you input the Konami Code at the login screen it loads you into a custom game!

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Eonwe posted:

hey guys, is anyone else going to be playing this in a few hours?

playing what?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Tenzarin posted:

Who wants to argue? Where can I download the latest aim esp hacks?

Good news friend. Blizzard removed "aiming" from most characters. Overwatch is post-aim gaming

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
jesus blzizard it has been THREE MINUTES and the game still doesn't work? I swear if you don't mail me back my $39.99 USD + tax with a handwritten apology I am going to RUIN your reputation on social media!

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
MEANWHILE, AT BLIZZARD H.Q.

*frantic typing* gotta finish programming the game, fast! oh jeez oh jeez...

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

HardDisk posted:

Goddamn I'm bad. :(

me too, man. Video games.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
I'm playing 99% Genji solely to learn the maps. They're complicated maps! I'll appreciate that once I'm familiar with them, but there's a lot of corridors in odd spots as a new player.

The map art seems designed to disguise the limits of the play area. It's hard to tell health-containing houses apart from the impassable ones next to them.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
the best thing is reflecting High Noon with Genji.

They can't help themselves. They gotta click!

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Tiggs posted:

Zenyatta basically cuts enemy HP in half, just throw an orb and swing away (from range)

it's +50% damage, not +100%

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
I love Genji. But his niche is a bit narrow. Half the cast is a bad matchup for him, and some parts of the maps offer poor flanking opportunities. Without flanks, you're just lobbing nerf darts.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

AbrahamLincolnLog posted:

it had to be removed in beta in 2003/2004 because it was almost exclusively used for "vitriol and bile".

in my day, the cure was not to be a bitch

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Willie Tomg posted:

Part of the problem is if you're behind a lampost or something you wouldn't necessarily think would give you cover, it still blocks the damage of the explosion.

some street signs block nuclear warheads; others don't exist

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
if you leave a game you should have to play the next one with goatse for a hero portrait

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Section Z posted:

I still fall off cliffs like an idiot but the majority of that is because I keep expecting to be able to land on obvious chunks of rock which have invisible barriers around them.

"I'll flank the enemy with a quick hop across that rocky outcrop that's wider than I am!" *Slowly slides off at an impossible angle* "Well, silly me for trying I guess."

yeah, normally blizzard games are super picky about making it crystal clear where level boundaries are, identifying threats, making UI elements stand out, etc ... but they don't seem to have given so much of a poo poo with Overwatch. Like, there's insta-death spots that use the same snow texture as the walkable ground next to them, there's bright red glowy poo poo in the levels that looks the same as the enemy color at first glance,etc.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Buckwheat Sings posted:

This requires you to be good at McCree's instant 2 gun unloads though.

only a true master could do that...

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Asimo posted:

Yeah I'm not good enough to play this. Figured I could maybe have some fun with mercy or winston or the like, since despite being nearly 40 with a shoulder injury I could at least take advantage of actually doing support or paying attention to the objectives, but that hasn't really... worked in practice. Most of the matches have been horrible unfun slog losses where I spend two seconds actually playing and the rest respawning or running back. 25% average win rate, 10% weapon accuracy... it's definitely fun when things are actually kind of even, but that really only happened during the open beta. Maybe I'll try again in a week or two when the matchmaking is better populated and I have a chance of playing alongside fellow trash, but I'm not holding my breath.

At least I had a load of fun in quake back in the day. :smith:

have you tweaked your mouse settings? got a mouse with a decent sensor, mouse acceleration turned off, claw grip, that kind of thing? are you pre-aiming, so your crosshair is pretty much lined up before you go around the corner? if you have a shoulder injury you'd probably want to go for wrist control and hence a higher sensitivity, but still low as you're comfortable with

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
Seagull playing in an ESL match right now

https://www.twitch.tv/esl_overwatch

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Zorodius posted:

Seagull playing in an ESL match right now

https://www.twitch.tv/esl_overwatch

he is getting shut the gently caress out

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Soothing Vapors posted:

doesn't that kill your ability to look around/do a 180/etc?

pretty much

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Modguy posted:

Not true, if from what i heard of the beta is true. Those you commend youre more likely to be grouped with in the future. Possibly against as well.

I really hope thats the case because it sounds nifty.

rumors like that pop up in every blizzard game

if you can't verify it, it's probably not true

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
It's so frustrating that the pubbies suck so much, unlike me, a finely tuned gaming machine. They never support my charges; frequently the entire team is out of position while I'm the only one being smart.

they ruin the team composition by e.g. picking Widowmaker before me, thus forcing me to play the third sniper in our squad. Plus they push enemies to flank me, and throw off my aim with the sheer gravity of their badness, and somehow they even pooped in my pants.

Matchmaking what the hell, Blizzard? Anyone else have this problem?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
Hanzo has a high skill cap, but also relies on pure dumb luck. a lot.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
everyone is saying Hanzo's arrow has a huge hitbox, but isn't it about the same as other non-hitscan projectiles?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
Zenyatta should be redesigned. The original premise was, here's this support that can put a HoT on a teammate then go focus on offense, if he wants to. But it turned out that's too powerful in a game with Genji and Tracer.

You could fix his winrate by adjusting his HP/damage, and I assume they will, but the LoS rule for orbs kinda gelds his character concept entirely.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
very satisfying: when you're Widow, and Winston jumps up to your perch, then you juke him by pretending to jump off, but you spin around and grapple back in mid-air, so you pass him going up while he's falling down.

Then relocate while he's waiting on his jump cooldown. See you around, space gorilla.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Grammaton posted:

Mei and Zarya were put in for the safe-spacers to have something to play and not bitch about.

I want to read Zarya's tumblr

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Minrad posted:

people who demonize zarya as being "the tumblr character" have no idea what it is they even hate and are too dumb to even identify stereotypes

in fact it is you that is wrong

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
most of the characters are pandering super hard, just to different audiences

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.
Genji's voice lines should be subtitled

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Dias posted:

wait you're telling me blizzard designed characters to appeal to MULTIPLE audiences now

holy gently caress

appeal in the sense of, "You like this right? RIGHT?! Isn't this the kind of bullshit you gobble up??"

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Dias posted:

so like every other game and media in the world except this one does it to more than one specific group

cool

are you pretending not to understand the concept of "pandering" or do you really not get it?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Dias posted:

I'll bite: which characters are pandering?

Reaper is an attempt to create an antisocial 13-year-old boy's wet dream, Genji is what someone thinks weeaboos will love, D.Va is south korean gamer blackface, etc.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Dick Trauma posted:

Getting steamrolled over and over makes this game feel not so fun. I know I'm bad at it but I still would like to find a way to enjoy myself other than being the center of someone else's play of the game over and over.

have you tried playing Lucio or Mercy? They're great for winrate, since your team probably desperately needs one, and they're easy to play.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

BUY IT.

Dias posted:

I mean, it's the same poo poo as every other piece of media ever produced then. They know their fanbase and used stereotypes or play on stereotypes that will be easily recognizable by them. Same goes to any AAA-release, and the ones that shy away from those stereotypes are "pandering" to the "tumblrite", so there's no way to win here.

Nah, not all media is so cynically produced, and not every character is a stereotype. It's the difference between, "this would make a cool character" and, "I bet those idiots will eat this poo poo up."

For example, Tomb Raider 1996 versus Tomb Raider 2013. They're both trying to sell copies, sure, but the former's approach is "huge tits = sales, right dipshits?" whereas the latter says, "if we make a solid, relatable character, people will connect to her story"