Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Knifegrab posted:

Whats a good counter to an all roadhog team?

5 Reapers and a Lucio if you're ballsy.

Some combination of Reaper, Junkrat, Reinhart and long range guys if you want to be on the safer side.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kamakaze9
Jun 11, 2005
Hey you guys!!

Bluhman posted:

^^PREEEETY sure i've been grabbed out of turret mode plenty of times before.

I've only been hooked twice in turret mode, both times I moved forward but stayed in turret mode and destroyed the roadhog, might have been a glitch though.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Section Z posted:

Well, yeah. That's why I wish there was MORE of an indicator. Because that's basically nothing unless you're the Terminator or Robocop for giving you some needed depth perception in a firefight. Compared to "Okay, that shot about where it expanded did basically nothing. And THAT shot about where it expanded took out the remaining 3/4 of their health" I've got going at the moment.

Plus, it would give people fighting against Roadpig more of a heads up why their health is suddenly vanishing hard. Against otherwise seemingly Psychic Zarya's, I can put out a lot of hurt without them ever catching a single secondary with their bubble. Small sample size and all that, but that's the impression I get in that situation.

It's just one of those things you learn by instinct once you play Roadhog more.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

If they are doing it this way I would think you would need different times for different maps, since some of them are going to be harder to hit those time limits than others. Either way, this solution doesn't seem very elegant.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Section Z posted:

Well, yeah. That's why I wish there was MORE of an indicator. Because that's basically nothing unless you're the Terminator or Robocop for giving you some needed depth perception in a firefight. Compared to "Okay, that shot about where it expanded did basically nothing. And THAT shot about where it expanded took out the remaining 3/4 of their health" I've got going at the moment.

Plus, it would give people fighting against Roadpig more of a heads up why their health is suddenly vanishing hard. Against otherwise seemingly Psychic Zarya's, I can put out a lot of hurt without them ever catching a single secondary with their bubble. Small sample size and all that, but that's the impression I get in that situation.

Eventually you do get used to it. Same with leading targets for hooks, or any other projectile. Projectiles are worse about it, in fact, since you have to gauge distance and predict their movement, whereas with Roadhog's rightclick you really only have to know the distance.

Rollie the Guar
Sep 12, 2011

You can't change nature, Jack.

whaam posted:

Any goons playing on Xbox One?

Gamertag: mackerelface

I'm on Xbox, gamertag is the same as my username. Solo queue is driving me to madness, so I'd love to get some goon games in.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I played against a Widowmaker that blew my head off 5 times literally the second she saw me and was reminded why I hate snipers in every FPS.

She wasn't even using her ult she just casually glanced over at me and lined up a headshot in a split second every time :saddowns:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Ok in the beta I thought the best support was Mercy but the more I play the more I really really like Lucio. The speed boost is awesome when your team is respawning or moving to a new objective, he can hold his own just fine against a lot of heroes, and clutch heal aura boost into shield into wiping the enemy team is the coolest

You get noticed less as a good lucio than as a good mercy though, if the endgame voting is anything to go by

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
I foolishly played Reinhardt on Gibraltar attack with nobody else pushing the cart with me and it was a goddamn trial, but I did get play of the game for earthquaking an ult-ing McCree and killing some of his buddies. The helmetless Reinhardt skin and the "need more stretching" hero intro go together really well because he has funny expressions you never get to see.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Kamakaze9 posted:

I've only been hooked twice in turret mode, both times I moved forward but stayed in turret mode and destroyed the roadhog, might have been a glitch though.

I played a fuckton of Roadhog in beta and hooked a ton of Bastions out of turret mode. Get fewer chances to do that in release because I'm playing Roadhog less, there's fewer Bastions, and most of them are smart enough to position somewhere not terrible. So it's possible there's an undocumented change between beta and now but I'm leaning toward weird glitchy behavior rather than a stealth Bastion buff, especially given how weird the hook can be with other things. (Holy poo poo how sinister it would be to give Bastion a stealth buff after the heaps of beta complaints though)

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ddraig posted:

It's just one of those things you learn by instinct once you play Roadhog more.

Abroham Lincoln posted:

Eventually you do get used to it. Same with leading targets for hooks, or any other projectile. Projectiles are worse about it, in fact, since you have to gauge distance and predict their movement, whereas with Roadhog's rightclick you really only have to know the distance.

I certainly can't argue with that from the Playing As front. I get flashbacks to Mario 64 every time my depth perception in viddy games comes into question though. Most of the projectiles pop better or have otherwise better indicators for what passes as my perception at least :v:

Still, I always feel a little guilty when I get to fire three practice shots at someone before they finally notice what is even hurting them, let alone where it is coming from. Just in time for me to get it just right, because of how poorly visible roadhog's secondary is compared to so many attacks.

"Just learn the distance by instinct, Zenyatta"

Also I'm stylistically biased to the thought of a red hot ball of shrapnel visual for the secondary. That too.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:45 on May 26, 2016

ZypherIM
Nov 8, 2010

"I want to see what she's in love with."

chumbler posted:

I keep reading that Winston is a top choice character, but every time I try him I just can't get anything done with his poor range and damage. I leapt just short of a Widowmaker and she just assault rifle killed me from full health in a single clip. When I ult I just flail around uselessly and more often than not end up punting people to safety. How the hell do you make Winston work?

That is only going to kill you if maybe she gets 100% headshots? Even then I don't think that'd kill you from full health, so she might have hit you with a charged sniper shot first. Secondly, drop your shield and force her to either move into the shield to attack you or try to run. Either way, by the time she can shoot at you (going inside or you coming out to chase) she'll be so low you win the fight. This holds true for every support (symmetra the hardest, her beam ramps up fast so if she latches on right away you need to get out asap), both snipers, junkrat, genji, soldier76 (get out if he drops a healing station), pharah (she might be able to jet away, either chase if the circumstances are good or fall back to a health pack), tracer. McCree and Reaper are both fight-able if you dance with your shield, but neither of them are safe to chase outside of it. All of the tanks are bad fights with your low dps. Bastion in recon is pretty easy, turret form he is only killable if he is bad. Mei is annoying but not a huge threat, but you're not going to kill her.

The basic winston approach is the quick gap closer with leap from a flank position, then the shield is strong enough that 1 person can't bust through it AND take you down before you can take them down. If you're in too deep, the shield can cover your retreat long enough for leap to come off of cooldown and you peace out. They can't beat your shield, and you can kill a 200hp person by dancing in/out of it while slowly melting them. If you made a terrible mistake just start running as soon as you drop your shield, and hope you can turn a corner before the 3 guys can run past your shield and kill you. Never go in without your shield if possible, because while you can still often get a kill you'll usually not be able to escape.

Winston ult has a few different uses depending on game type and game state. If there is a pit knocking people into the pit is good, but more of a bonus. Knocking reinhardts into bad spots or other people into more exposed areas for your team to mow down is usually a big thing. Remember that you get a full heal on transform, so you can leap in, drop your shield, and as they focus at you pop your ult. Jump gets a really fast cooldown, so you can use that tons. If there are walls or ceilings you can use those to keep from going too far, places like Lijang Tower are great. Lots of jumping also makes it hard for them to keep a focus on you. You aren't going to be crushing their team by yourself though, so you're reliant on your damage guys picking them apart while they panic shoot the monkey. If they're ignoring you stop jumping and just start punching them out of position.

Also remember that winston gets heavy use in comp in certain setups. KOTH is really where he shines the most, and as a secondary tank or in a double winston setup. In fact, most comp games you'll see 2 tanks which makes a really big difference. If the other team has no McCree/Reaper, a double winston will basically kill everything that isn't a tank (or a mei but she'll just be ice blocking herself or hiding, not killing anyone) or a good supported bastion (even then double leap with one guy using ult is probably enough). If the team isn't grouping up well then you really don't have any fear, even a McCree/Reaper is only going to kill 1 of the winstons max.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I got POTG for Lucio booping two guys off the cliff at Lijiang Tower - Night Market, but there's so many big crazy 5-fer replays that mine doesn't even feel worth uploading :(

Also Cute Reaper spray is loving hilarious.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Someone please link me some good D.Va streams/gameplay footage.

I have some idea of how to play her but I just can't do it it practice, I'm so bad at her. Maybe if I see how someone else is doing it something'll click.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

As Zarya I love Hanzos ult because I can just pop my shield and dip into it a little bit for a ridiculous amount of charge. Thank you Hanzos everywhere.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Kamakaze9 posted:

Hooking a turret bastion definitely forces him back into recon mode and I know because this is basically the only way I ever kill bastions.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I got POTG for Lucio booping two guys off the cliff at Lijiang Tower - Night Market, but there's so many big crazy 5-fer replays that mine doesn't even feel worth uploading :(

Most I've ever pushed off the map with Lucio was a twofer also (was also POTG). It's a lot harder to get a fiver imo; has to be perfect conditions and whatnot. Still, any Lucio POTG is cool in my book :cool::hf::cool:

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I have to play during the day to claw back all the losses I accumulate playing with my friend at night. Averaging like 1.5 golds per round with a sub .500 win rate is agonizing when you're a salty tryhard.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Someone please link me some good D.Va streams/gameplay footage.

I have some idea of how to play her but I just can't do it it practice, I'm so bad at her. Maybe if I see how someone else is doing it something'll click.

D.va is probably the actual worst character at the moment so I wouldn't worry too much about it. She can't actually tank but unlike Roadhog, the other tank that can't actually tank, she also does no damage and can't kill things. The way to play D.va currently is to fly around and use the fact that you're large and can appear out of nowhere quickly to scare new players who don't realize that your guns are just for display purposes into running away, thus wasting some of their time. Eventually one of them figures it out and decides to try shooting at you and at this point there's basically nothing you can do unless your ult is charged in which case you can kill yourself.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Am I the only one that'll take a payload or control point map over KOTH any day of the weak? KOTH seems to bring out the worst in people playing selfishly.

Also watching people play chicken with their hero choices is the most infuriating thing.

One of them later switched to Widowmaker and complained the whole game about our "comp sucking", "eat fat dick ularg"

Modguy
Nov 9, 2012

Pakled posted:

Yeah, it doesn't serve any purpose other than recognizing outstanding players.

Not true, if from what i heard of the beta is true. Those you commend youre more likely to be grouped with in the future. Possibly against as well.

I really hope thats the case because it sounds nifty.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Ularg posted:

Am I the only one that'll take a payload or control point map over KOTH any day of the weak? KOTH seems to bring out the worst in people playing selfishly.

Also watching people play chicken with their hero choices is the most infuriating thing.

Yeah but you can just pick 76 and be a guy who has both a gun and a heal so that when nobody picks Lucio or Mercy you've still got something.

Akumos
Sep 10, 2006
Is the Survival Expert achievement bugged out? I can't seem to get it no matter what.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

cock hero flux posted:

D.va is probably the actual worst character at the moment so I wouldn't worry too much about it. She can't actually tank but unlike Roadhog, the other tank that can't actually tank, she also does no damage and can't kill things. The way to play D.va currently is to fly around and use the fact that you're large and can appear out of nowhere quickly to scare new players who don't realize that your guns are just for display purposes into running away, thus wasting some of their time. Eventually one of them figures it out and decides to try shooting at you and at this point there's basically nothing you can do unless your ult is charged in which case you can kill yourself.

I got my 20 player killstreak as Dva :cool:

She can't chase people down unless she wastes the boost, sure. But for maps like king of the hill where both teams are frantically trying to rush a single point then it turns out people will come to you,, and the two lives means it can be tricky to actually try to kill her. It should be obvious from what her ult does - like you said you can just run away from the ult, or her guns, or anything she does. But she's pretty good when you don't have that option

Also you have to equip the spray you get from the 20 player killstreak separately on every single hero and you can't do it ingame which is really annoying

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

PublicOpinion posted:

I foolishly played Reinhardt on Gibraltar attack with nobody else pushing the cart with me and it was a goddamn trial,

Every third match my team just likes lone wolfing it and playing Tracer/Reaper

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I got my 20 player killstreak as Dva :cool:

I mean, that owes just as much to getting a minigame to not "die" every time you die as it does to anything she can actually do.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

cock hero flux posted:

Yeah but you can just pick 76 and be a guy who has both a gun and a heal so that when nobody picks Lucio or Mercy you've still got something.

Actually in that situation you just want to pick Mei and icewall your team into a quick loss to get the shitters to ragequit. Bonus points if you have the sorry voice to go with it.

Bolivar
Aug 20, 2011

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Ok in the beta I thought the best support was Mercy but the more I play the more I really really like Lucio. The speed boost is awesome when your team is respawning or moving to a new objective, he can hold his own just fine against a lot of heroes, and clutch heal aura boost into shield into wiping the enemy team is the coolest

You get noticed less as a good lucio than as a good mercy though, if the endgame voting is anything to go by

Doing the current weekly brawl with Lucio is ridiculous. Last night I did couple of games where I started with some other hero, then noticed that my team is being overrun so I switched to Lucio and he's practically invincible with 400 HP if the opponent isn't communicating to focus fire him down (not happening in pubs), so I did just wall riding up and down the payload for basically throughout the games. Hilarious "healing done" numbers with some 40% "team damage taken". Some people vote for me, most people don't, but I kind of get the feeling that half of those Hanzos and Reapers are so stuck in their RUGA WAGA DIE DIE that they don't even know that other heroes besides Mercy can heal.

But to make up for that, I had some embarrassing game with Roadhog (while testing the Toa skin that I got) where I got basically nothing done and my card showed "3500 self- healing" and three people voted for me :ughh:

Bolivar fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 26, 2016

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

I got matched against at least three separate groups running triple Torbjorn tonight. Turns out that's pretty much the opposite of fun to play against. It's an easy thing to break if you have friends, but with pubs it feels like it pretty much just ends the game wherever they decide to set up.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I mean, that owes just as much to getting a minigame to not "die" every time you die as it does to anything she can actually do.

If you run away and hide for the entire duration sure, if you are getting kills out of mech form and getting your mech back quickly I'd argue that's part of the reason she's classified as "Tank".

Her out of mech form does really good damage by the way

FranktheBank
May 14, 2007
In the beginning...the universe was created. his has been widely regarded as a bad move and has made a lot of people very angry.

Ularg posted:

I agree. Mostly because even idiots can find the KOTH. It takes slightly above drooling IQ to stand on the payload, so at least I can take a little advantage.

FranktheBank fucked around with this message at 09:53 on May 26, 2016

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Modguy posted:

Not true, if from what i heard of the beta is true. Those you commend youre more likely to be grouped with in the future. Possibly against as well.

I really hope thats the case because it sounds nifty.

rumors like that pop up in every blizzard game

if you can't verify it, it's probably not true

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

cock hero flux posted:

I'm glad it's not just me feeling like she's in a bad spot. It was funny when on yesterday's A_Seagull stream, his response to "what are the three worst heroes in Overwatch" was "uh, D.Va". :negative:

I was hoping there was still some footage of someone using her to her fullest (if not great) potential though.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I will never be pro-tier at this game, right now my win percentage is around 43% or so, but every now and then I manage to pull off a loving amazing move that makes me want to play more. Doing some random pub-crawl matches and it's attacking on Route 66 and we're loving stomping the other team, I'm Soldier 76 and pushing that payload, periodically checking the various tunnels and passages for an opportunistic Reaper to gun down. So somehow I wind up in some little canyon hallway deal and a Tracer pops out from around a distant corner on the opposite side. She immediately blinks towards the fight as quick as she can and I count the sounds, one, two, three...and she lands right in front of me without any blinks left giving me the chance to pop a rocket right in her face before she can recall. Feels good.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I wanted to play with goons yesterday but it took some time to figure out how to accept their friend invites from discord. I had to switch to Americas region and log back in and then find their invites in-game. They also don't show up in my battle.net friend list so it took a while to see them.

I'm starting to get sick of pubbie games now. I feel like im the only one even attempting the objectives. Arcade was fun but starting to wear thin for me as well.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Soldier is kinda conventional but he's solid. Landing a direct hit with his rockets while also shooting actual bullets at the same target just melts people and turrets.

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine
There was an earlier discussion on Winston.

I find Winston to be really useful in buying time in KOTH maps in either defense or offense. Winston can jump into the point and distract two or three opposite team players on the objective for a duration long enough to distract them from getting comfortable and to give your team enough time to get to the objective. He also handles many heroes in 1v1 fights and his mobility helps in that regard. I usually switch to him in KOTH maps when we might be in trouble. His e is also a godsend at times.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

A Pharah rained justice from above, but I was higher up than she was and rained a single rocket into the top of her airborne idiot dome

Anime Pharah is amazing. I thought you guys were insane for loving that skin until I remembered she wears her helmet and you don't have to keep looking at that stupid metal jaw every time you emote.

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
Blizzard wants me to counter Bastion as Hanzo, Genji or Widowmaker.

How do I counter Torbjorn and Symmetra? :saddowns:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
76 digests torbjorn turrets and torb himself if he doesn't get in a good meatshot or leftclick headshot