Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

In my first game back playing as Bastion on King's Row I rarely died, we won, and I got the PotG. Although we didn't win much after that match I didn't do my usual dying over and over. I tried to get sneaky and pick my engagements, I used the crouch to be a little quieter while moving when I knew there were lots of flankers and I managed to be in the right spot at the right time for my team a few times. Even managed to repeatedly take out one of those players that seemed addicted to hunting me down. I changed positions regularly and used a quick shift to reload when I knew action was imminent.

The only long range positions I took with Bastion were when the enemy was close to delivering the payload and I wanted to keep breaking their Reinhardt's shield. That worked well and he was forced to run around in the open and stop protecting his team.

Congrats on the win!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

One game was three McCrees vs two McCrees

it's been high noon all day

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bolivar posted:

What's a "get out of free jail" card :tipshat:

Well once you've freed jail, you'll get something out of it

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Did a lot more Mercy'ing tonight to practice being on point with healing, boosting, and knowing when to just shoot a sucka

I don't know what that Hanzo expected but it probably wasn't an angry nurse following a pharah up a ledge to plug him. I didn't get the killing blow but I like to think I confused him a little before flying off to actually do my drat job

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I want to practice Genji more since I got his sick Nomad skin but there's rarely ever a need for a lovely newbie Genji

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bolivar posted:

The weekly brawls seem a bit more suitable for "practising" stuff. For instance, their win/loss doesn't show in your character stats. The current weekly brawl is also a good practice range due to double HP.

Guess I'll give it a shot.

I just sort of avoided it because I expect it to be a hell of infinite ice walls and pulse bomb recall carpet bombings

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Whenever you get the potg and it's a horrible and boring play of the shame, you should have the good grace to be embarrassed for yourself in chat.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

chumbler posted:

A betrayal expected of a Hanzo.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImPureAwesome posted:

I've seen goon teammates get it occasionally on koth maps for boops. Never seen a zarya one myself

Yeah I've totally gotten a couple Lucio potgs by quietly booping a couple people off the point and into a pit

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Overwatch's characters are instantly recognizable, readable, and appealing to the point of being almost instantly popular to a staggering degree.

I think they're doing pretty ok wrt art and design

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

WoodrowSkillson posted:

the truly well flashed out characters of overwatch, a game with 0 story, 0 context for the action, and 0 character development.

its fun as hell but praising its characters is really funny

I'm not touching Blizzard's writing with a ten foot pole, just saying the art direction is rock solid here

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

Except tracer and robotless d.va who have confusingly similar silhouettes.

Actually yeah that is true

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Dick Trauma posted:

But since Tracer is always rocketing around like a lunatic and saying chipper limey dialogue I don't think I've confused one with the other.

I think I may have flashbanged an out-of-mech dva once thinking she was a tracer but it's honestly not a real problem

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I've been having a good night with Triage Combat Mercy.

Not a lot of Widowmakers expect to lose a longrange gunfight with a medic. And I wish I'd remembered to record the quietly understated Mercy potg that consisted, entirely, of me plinking a Pharah out of her barrage. She's now my most-played class.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Picard Day posted:

The funniest part of Overwatch is chasing after a pubbie Mercy while reloading and missing all over the place but for some reason they won't pull out their pistol and just cap your 15 HP remaining rear end.

I think that's why so many pubbies are surprised when a Mercy does pull a gun out

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Tokubetsu posted:

Most hilarious thing as mercy is turning an ambush against other players. I love killing mcrees and reapers as her. You can almost see the moment when they panic "oh god that pistol does way more damage than I expected"

So tip to mercys. Everyone topped up and things are safeish whip that pistol out.

:yeah:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Turtlicious posted:

Favorite Reinhardt moment today: A mercy was not healing and instead shooting me with her pistol, so I pressed shift.

I've managed to help down a couple of reinhardts who tried that and missed.

It's safer to just tap M1 a few times.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Had a bunch of great games with goons last night, even when we got queued up against other pre-mades. Especially against other premades. Even when we were all kind of lousy up until the point when we weren't.

There really isn't a reason not to play with someone you can shoot the poo poo with, over Discord or mumble or steamchat or whatever. The Group XP bonus is just icing on the cake.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also yeah McCree and Widow could stand to be tuned down a bit. There's counters for a bad widow, there's counters for a decent widow. But against a good widow, your only real option is to be a better widowmaker than her or to try to kill the rest of her team in a place where she can't get good shots off on you.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

nopantsjack posted:

This game is pretty decent, however it is pretty funny how its just TF2 with a larger roster and abilities instead of weapons after all the project titan business.

Among Brink and that other one it seems like theres some law of the universe where if you try and reinvent multiplayer FPSes you end up with TF2.

Actually rather than trying to reinvent FPSes, seems like they were gunning for TF3 ever since the point they realized Project Titan was rubbish.

Looks like it worked.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Forty Eight Winstons

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Nice

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Winston's gun lets me kill Mercies and Genjis without needing to aim.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://watcher.gg/profile/1226642

As is turns out I love playing Mercy and really dig Lucio but my dubious winrate with these characters means that sometimes I wonder if I'm not better serving people by actually being a character able to put some firepower on the playing field. Even my incredibly lovely Widowmaker accuracy is enough to be a bodyshotting terror at the MMR I find myself in.

Though it also means I've played a lot of solo queue and somebody has to be the healer.

I'm just ashamed that I need more practice with Winston though.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Asimo posted:

Also making racists and 13 year olds cry and whine on the forums about being oppressed by temp bans is always great so I'm all for a good bit of chat moderation.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm perfectly willing to believe Lady Naga confronts people about racism and bigotry in real life too.

I've done it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I feel like a lot of pixel art animations ape the Metal Slug style of characterful bouncyness but exaggerate it a bit much.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Shnooks posted:

Someone said "gg 122 ez" after a match and I can't figure out what 122 is?

maybe it's just supposed to be 2 but he gave up on correcting himself halfway

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Zoness posted:

I hadn't found a demo of the volskaya jump with Junkrat yet so here's the trick for all of you:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VtS9G-_3VE

Nice.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

It's always embarrassing for a new, inexperienced reaper to get sniped in the head after a poorly-placed teleport. But it teaches them a valuable lesson on how not to play that class.

It's also very fun to do this.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Yeah Soldier seems boring but he's an absolutely solid pick when you don't know what your team needs and aren't explicitly trying to counterpick someone else. On top of that, Reinhardt often needs frontliners to actually shoot through his shield and Soldier usually fits the bill.

And if you are trying to counterpick he's also pretty good at dealing with Pharah and Torbjorn too.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wow, console is practically a completely different game

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Bolivar posted:

The über nerd seems to be this guy:
http://masteroverwatch.com/profile/pc/eu/GamerSuiteTv-2234

Level 222 with 198 hours of playtime and AFAIK that only counts the games itself so there's a few dozen hours of waiting etc. on top of that... according to my calculations, it's been 367 hours since launch.
Of course, could be several people on one account. Also, he's "that guy", aka the Hanzo/McCree with 43-44 % winrate.

that guy is eternal

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Also

fadam posted:

They should give Reinhardt a rear view mirror when he shields.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

abraham linksys posted:

huh, lost connection to the server twice in the last ten minutes. the second time was right as I popped Junkrat ult. Guess that's Blizzard's way of telling me "it's 5am just log off already"

Yeah same.

I stuck around anyway since I was still in the discord room. Later we pushed 4 dvas, 1 mercy, 1 lucio through the flank spot on volskaya A and the other team just did not see us coming. That was the fastest volskaya win I've ever seen.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

FiftySeven posted:

This guy got really really salty when I asked him when he last showered.

Sounds like you hit the nail on the head.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Wait wait hold up there's people who can't tell when Mei uses her ult? I listen to podcasts and netflix and also Discord all the time while playing and I can hear an enemy Mei's ult just fine. Seeing where it lands so I can get away in time? That's the rough part.

Sorry, still laughing about the guy being racist as an excuse to try to cover up his tragic loss of hearing.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I never bothered to remap the in-game voice chat hotkey to a more convenient button but I mapped my discord chat button to the same mouse button I used for mumble so I've got muscle memory there.

Also using something like discord makes it easier to get a group quickly organized than manually pming every person who is online on your bnet friends list.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Though when I use Steam chat I don't use push to talk because on steam my gaming friends and I are all a bunch of idiots who've known each other for years and won't stop shooting the poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

Oh god why would you use open mic in a system that doesn't let you change your sensitivity

It's almost as if there's a program that we are currently talking about that let's you change your open mic sensitivity so you don't have to hear those things.

The day I learned that I could directly control each person's individual mic volume on discord was a good day.