Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keshik
Oct 27, 2000

Mortimer posted:

15 minute vid? really? cut to the good parts jabrony

Sniping is about patience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I honestly want to see how deep this rabbit hole goes. It's on the other hemisphere so pretty deep.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Nehru the Damaja posted:

But goons aren't the only people in my life and I don't really care to have a ton of systems to accommodate each of them.

For what it's worth I agree with you on this, add me cause I hate having to alt tab out to open discord and then mute my in game voice settings and blah blah. The in game voice is perfectly fine.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Papercut posted:

For what it's worth I agree with you on this, add me cause I hate having to alt tab out to open discord and then mute my in game voice settings and blah blah. The in game voice is perfectly fine.

Why would you have to mute your in-game voice if you're not using your push to talk key?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

it's always enjoyable to watch a new group of people learn to know and love ntrabbit

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

chuckles while throwing a flashbang on your side of the map

WOAH THERE!

fans you for 4000 damage

EASY!

fortocero
Jul 23, 2007

I could feel his muscle tissues collapse under my force. It's ludicrous these mortals even attempt to enter my realm.

NTRabbit posted:

How about fixing her so that she's actually more useful than just in limited edge cases where a different character would actually be better anyway, no matter how fast your internet is? She's an exceptionally mediocre character no matter which way you slice it.

Doubling the range on her mediocre gun mmight be an idea, gives her a point of difference over all the other tanks, and takes her out of short range and into midrange.

OK - I'm not disagreeing with you there. She's weak compared to the other tanks and I have 0 minutes played with her for that very reason. But when you go and say she sucks for reason x and y, and reasons x and y have nothing to do with Zarya and everything to do with your internet, that's what I take issue with.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Rirse posted:

Man I should tried Symmetra sooner, she is pretty fun to play as. Never knew until playing her how deadly that laser she can shoot out can get. It went through Reinharlt in seconds when he got distracted by a turret. Any general tips on to use her. I seem to took some cues from people I played on where to stick turrets.

Don't put all your turrets in one place. Setting up kill rooms is neat but they're easy to blow up with a concerted push or they'll just learn to avoid that particular room. If you DO want to block off a room put sentries in opposite corners and stuff, not next to each other. Jump up and stick them as high as you can most of the time. Put them around blind corners or above doorways.

If you stick sentries up outside the spawn room wall there's a decent chance you'll get ult up after the very first engagement. Try not to die before it's up -- I play a lot more conservatively until I can poop one out.

E:

quote:

've been seeing a lot of crappy Symmetras out there and it makes me mad because I think she's my favorite. Don't just jam all your sentries in one place to guard the teleporter! Sure they'll kill someone that comes around the wrong corner but then that person can just come back and plink at them and there's a decent chance you'll never kill anyone at all if you just hole up in one place. Crap sentries everywhere, all the time. Try to never not fight under one. Use them as actual sentries -- one on every flank ingress then watch for them going off so you can greet people when they come around a corner with a fully charged ball. If you think you're going to fight someone in a couple seconds poop a sentry nearby. Put sentries on the roof! And on the bottom of moving platforms! Sentries! In the corners! Not just all around the point, Junkrat will kill them. Space 'em out! Also stick one or two in the little side rooms that have health packs so low HP people looking to top up get zorched.

Still working on good teleport placement sometimes. Run into a problem where it funnels your whole team through one chokepoint then Reaper kills everyone. Derp.

Putting sentries on the street signs on Numbani is p. funny. putting them on the payload can also be hilarious but they get shot fast.

oh and reinharts never seem to know the ball goes through the shield.

quote:

Vary the positions of the sentries as they get destroyed, too. The first time they come around a corner it's on the left corner of the door, the next it's on the right. Then it's behind a shelf on the other side of the room. Then there are two and also an angry lady with a gun. If you clear out a whole push, press forward and stick two in a place right along the main path that has never had any. Not too much of that because it'll make your backline weak and it's unlikely to kill someone, but you want there to be one or two around during every engagement while the rest are covering flanks. Behind shrubs and inside vendor carts and basically just everywhere. The flying platforms in Volskaya and R66 near the end are also pretty choice -- they don't survive long, but just one can really screw up an enemy engagement and if you have more than like 1 or 2 ready to deploy in reserve at any given moment you're loving up.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

fortocero posted:

OK - I'm not disagreeing with you there. She's weak compared to the other tanks and I have 0 minutes played with her for that very reason. But when you go and say she sucks for reason x and y, and reasons x and y have nothing to do with Zarya and everything to do with your internet, that's what I take issue with.

She's weak compared to the other tanks, like the infinitely useful D.Va (who is so good they're buffing her even more) and Roadhog.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
ah yes the tank with the third highest pick rate this last week who can virtually guarantee mercy resurrects against the strongest combos and protects her healers without restricting their mobility is outdone by [a list of characters that don't do any of this]

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

fortocero posted:

No, I said that point Z, the only positive point anyone could point to from point A on down, is a limited edge case, and that it not working in any kind of latency makes her pointless for most people. Still doesn't change the fact about points A to Y.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

NTRabbit posted:

No, I said that point Z, the only positive point anyone could point to from point A on down, is a limited edge case, and that it not working in any kind of latency makes her pointless for most people. Still doesn't change the fact about points A to Y.

Most people don't have 1000ms latency.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

Why would you have to mute your in-game voice if you're not using your push to talk key?

Because i don't use push to talk.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Zarya is good.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

fortocero posted:

You should play her more, shes alittle finicky to use but her ult completely makes up for it.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Lady Naga posted:

Who wants to hear a bunch of fatties breathing harder and harder as they fire hanzo arrows or their dogs barking or whatever. Ptt is the only way to play.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
most people dont play on ping that is literally or figuratively over a second

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I never bothered to remap the in-game voice chat hotkey to a more convenient button but I mapped my discord chat button to the same mouse button I used for mumble so I've got muscle memory there.

Also using something like discord makes it easier to get a group quickly organized than manually pming every person who is online on your bnet friends list.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Zarya is pretty difficult to use in uncoordinated games, perhaps moreso than the other tanks (certainly moreso than Roadhog). But if you coordinate her ult with people she's quite strong especially against teams which don't have a Reinhardt or when you can spam his shield down before ulting.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

flashman posted:

Who wants to hear a bunch of fatties breathing harder and harder as they fire hanzo arrows or their dogs barking or whatever. Ptt is the only way to play.

i want to hear the dogs

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Papercut posted:

Because i don't use push to talk.

Oh god why would you use open mic in a system that doesn't let you change your sensitivity

flashman posted:

It's almost as if there's a program that we are currently talking about that let's you change your open mic sensitivity so you don't have to hear those things.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Though when I use Steam chat I don't use push to talk because on steam my gaming friends and I are all a bunch of idiots who've known each other for years and won't stop shooting the poo poo.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Mortimer posted:

why shouldn't deaf people be allowed to play at a high level? there should be visual indicators pointing to an ultimate in case you aren't directly facing it. Maybe also put in an optional "footsteps" indicator, that's a huge one that you need to hear if you want to play a flanker. Deaf people can only play tanks and plain offense characters and without basic indicators not very well.

I understand the need for inclusiveness, but this is a pretty terrible idea considering audio cues are a massive part of the Overwatch gameplay.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The only change Zarya needs is better visual feedback for how far her lmb beam actually goes. If you're having a hard time shielding people productively you're probably solo queuing and therefore stupid.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lady Naga posted:

Oh god why would you use open mic in a system that doesn't let you change your sensitivity

It's almost as if there's a program that we are currently talking about that let's you change your open mic sensitivity so you don't have to hear those things.

The day I learned that I could directly control each person's individual mic volume on discord was a good day.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Countblanc posted:

Zarya is pretty difficult to use in uncoordinated games, perhaps moreso than the other tanks (certainly moreso than Roadhog).

Which is basically 95% of games, and when you are in a coordinated team, you're generally also against coordinated teams, who will just never shoot her shields, on account of being coordinated enough to not be gently caress ups. She's a character who just doesn't function as intended.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

Lady Naga posted:

It does let you change your sensitivity? The mic volume is functionally a sensitivity setting.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Discord is infinitely useful and it's cool and fun to belong to a bunch of groups to chat with. If you don't want to use it that's fine nobody's forcing you but acting like it's an imposition is kind of silly.

Papercut posted:

It does let you change your sensitivity? The mic volume is functionally a sensitivity setting.
That is not what volume means.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Rirse posted:

Man I should tried Symmetra sooner, she is pretty fun to play as. Never knew until playing her how deadly that laser she can shoot out can get. It went through Reinharlt in seconds when he got distracted by a turret. Any general tips on to use her. I seem to took some cues from people I played on where to stick turrets.

Make your first set of turrets an aggressive placement because you want to build ult as quickly as possible to get that teleporter up. Once that's up you can start placing them with concern for defending things that matter. If you're communicating with your team it can be helpful to put an individual turret in a less-watched flank as a burglar alarm. Like defending the first point of Numbani you'd want multiple in the hotel flank to the right but one in the far right flank outdoors will give you some advance warning that you can share with the team.

You can charge up your left-click on ice walls so that when they drop you're ready to rock on whoever's on the other side.

When spamming m2 balls, I find it's more effective to do it at an angle than straight down a street. E.g. defending Hanamura 1, fire from the left room on your side of the gate through to people gathering in the corner on the opposite side.

When the teleporter is burnt out, if you're still trying to defend with her, some teams will insist on trying to push through your turret funhouse (e.g. right after the first point on Dorado) because they think a teleporter is there. You can get lots of free damage and create openings for your team.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Lady Naga posted:

Ive been in discord groups and heard all this poo poo through open mics. I don't want to hear you slurping down your dew sorry

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

flashman posted:

Ive been in discord groups and heard all this poo poo through open mics. I don't want to hear you slurping down your dew sorry

People not knowing that a setting exists does not mean that it isn't there.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric

Rirse posted:

I love Symmetra but a Junkrat was really loving me up last game. He's like her archnemesis.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

NTRabbit posted:

Which is basically 95% of games, and when you are in a coordinated team, you're generally also against coordinated teams, who will just never shoot her shields, on account of being coordinated enough to not be gently caress ups. She's a character who just doesn't function as intended.

How do you reconcile your thoughts here with the fact that she gets picked a fair amount in competitive games?

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
you can get really abusive if you have meis help you with your initial setup with ice wall boosting

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

My god all of Zarya's skins are so bad, I only need a color swap to get rid of her terrible starting hair color

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

fadam posted:

How do you reconcile your thoughts here with the fact that she gets picked a fair amount in competitive games?

This is the dude who can't figure out how to fan the hammer why engage him on this

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
"People who use open mic on Discord have annoying sounds sometimes and rather than use my words to suggest they change their open mic sensitivity or enable push to talk I suffer in silence so that I may complain about it on the Something Awful forums."

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Grammaton posted:

I love Symmetra but a Junkrat was really loving me up last game. He's like her archnemesis.

Don't cluster your turrets and put them higher up.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

frajaq posted:

My god all of Zarya's skins are so bad, I only need a color swap to get rid of her terrible starting hair color

the humongous winter coat skin is pretty great imo

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I find Symmetra useful on not just D but also Offense, Her right click attack is pretty good at jamming defensive spots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Lady Naga posted:

"People who use open mic on Discord have annoying sounds sometimes and rather than use my words to suggest they change their open mic sensitivity or enable push to talk I suffer in silence so that I may complain about it on the Something Awful forums."

Nah I say let's use game chat losers you should all be on ptt anyway and if they don't comply I leave the group