Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Honestly it’s kind of hosed up how absurdly powerful Mercy is when you think about it. Like, even if you take away res she would still be top tier.

Every other support has tons of abilities and versatility. We’ve got healers who can jump off of walls at 200 miles an hour, make opponents take more damage, negate healing for a limited time, or overheal while providing temporary armor, and yet none of them can hold a loving candle to the complex strategy of “stand behind people while healing or damage boosting and fly away when things get dicey”. Like, on paper any of the other supports should completely blow her out of the water, but the problem is that they have to have downsides to balance their strengths. But when it comes to Mercy they apparently decided she didn’t need to have significant downsides for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I haven’t launched this game in months because my goal was to get all the unlocks for Mei and the anniversary event let me do that fairly easily without having to wait half a year for stupid timed unlocks to pop back up again. Does this event, which if I understand correctly is just the lovely rocket league clone and nothing else, actually have any new Mei stuff to unlock or can I continue ignoring this game?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Trudis posted:

There's a new emote wherein she plays ping pong with her botfriend.

Wicked Them Beats posted:

There's an emote where she plays table tennis with her little robot.

*in extremely noir voice* overwatch. every time I think I've had enough she draws me right back in

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

So is this just A Thing now whenever blizzard does a large rework of a character? Just put their old ult on E and give it a cooldown?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Willie Tomg posted:

When the characters in question are widely considered troll picks, I guess. :shrug:

It's weird to see such palpable power creep since release, but honestly the game is in such a solid state right now I don't mind it. All the characters now are Pretty Fun to play, everyone brings something other than bullshit to any given comp, and while tanks could stand to feel less like the whipping boys/girls of all the roles they're still strong enough you can get by with only tank/support and not feel the loss.

I didn't mean that with any snark or anything, it's just kinda funny seeing it happen for the third time now.

And I'm not sure if power creep is the right term. I honestly think characters like torb/sym/mercy were never "bad characters", they were just bad at overwatch specifically. Like, they did what they wanted to do just fine, it's just that what they wanted to do wasn't really how the game flowed. I don't see the changes so much as power creep as them making the characters better at playing the same game as everyone else.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

People don’t complain about Mei as much because Mei has actual drawbacks that make her a cool, interesting character.

Mei isn’t playing the same game as everyone else. Her kit shines the most when you use it to punish the absolute poo poo out of mistakes made by the other team. Is the other team making a half hearted push? Ice wall a couple people to separate them from their team and win the ensuring 6v4. Did someone walk right up to you like a moron? Welcome them to freeze town. Is someone using an ability or ult in an unsafe way? Cryo through that poo poo. Her dps is actually kind of bad but she makes up for it in utility and manages to be the queen of 1v1s without being an overpowered character, which is important. Mei has always been an annoying character to fight against and absolutely fucks up Tracer and Genji, but somehow has always been a solid mid tier character.

Brigitte fills this same role of punishing mistakes by the other team, but with far more lenient requirements for what a mistake is. Up front where Mei might have to burn a cooldown to disengage a hairy situation, Brig has a 500hp shield. In a situation where Mei gets punished for mismanaging cooldowns, Brig has 50 armor and inspire to help her last a bit longer. She naturally wants to hang around teammates for inspire, so she almost always has backup. Where Mei's CC takes a second or two to fully disable a character, Brig's is instant with almost zero wind up so you can’t really react to it beyond knowing if she’s in range or not. She can displace you at any time to mess up your positioning. Her shield lets her punish ability and ult usage like Mei's cryo, but with a tenth of the commitment. Punishing a mistake with Mei means making a commitment and giving up ways to protect yourself in an emergency, but with Brig you have like three layers of redundancy to keep you safe. Naturally, she has one of the highest win rates in the game across every rank in competitive.

Mei loving wishes she were Brig.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

It is absolutely insane to me that blizzard released this game with so much emphasis on the story and lore and proceeded to sit on their hands doing side content and backstory exposition for over three full loving years.

Winston tried to get the gang back together three and a half years ago and they’re not only just getting around to answering the question of “what happened next”, they’re trying to frame it like they’re delivering a sequel and doing everybody a service. Incredible.

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

DrBox posted:

Nobody is picking up the game because Mei looks cool!

I literally started playing this game originally because Mei looked cool and her kit looked fun. This is a wild statement to make about a game where people only wanting to play a certain character became so prevalent the community has a derogatory nickname for people who do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

DrBox posted:

It was a joke. I get that different people like different things. RIP ice demon. I'm not sad the freeze is going away.

Related to the previous discussion, in a world where the game had been free to play but Mei was not unlocked right away would this have kept you from playing?

Oh, my bad.

And yeah, it absolutely would have turned me away from the game. I initially got in to play with friends so I might have still given it a try for a bit, but there's no way I'd have kept playing for 10-15 hours for the chance to see if Mei was as fun as I'd heard.

I've kinda accepted that I'm no longer the target audience for OW2 at this point though. I wasn't particularly interested to begin with but losing freeze was the dealbreaker for me.