Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Video games are good. I will play zarya for my first game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Ddraig posted:

Zarya is a good choice.

I think she will be even better in the early days when people will shoot the hell out of her shield bubble

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

the coolest part of overwatch is all the people who don't like it are making posts across the internet like they're enlightened scholars shaking their heads in disbelief at the grubby masses of kowtowing Blizzardslave sheeple. I havent seen this many people being smug about not liking a video game since mainline Call of Duty

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

At work, having a blast playing some overwatch

Might stream a few matches later

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

HardDisk posted:

Blinking using the RMB is genius.

i have a pro setup as you can see :smug:

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

Or maybe this type of a drop-in game does not need a leaver penalty for it's unranked mode.

It's not Dota you know.

The kind of catastrophic facerolling that can happen when you're down a man, coupled with the negation of the possibility for a clutch win, would drastically lower the quality of unranked games and make it a really unfun snowball situation if anyone could bail, and this is a silly post.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Mr. Neutron posted:

When you are down a man, the game will fill that spot in under 10 seconds. Again, not Dota.

Even 10 seconds can be a big deal and it's taken like a minute for me or more in the past. The person who disconnects despawns and loses their entire ult and their replacement will have 0 awareness of what is going in in the match. It's not fair to whatever sucker ends up slotted in to take their place, and it's not fair to the rest of the team either. This is another bad post.

The game should be and is punishing of bad play like this. It's not even that terrible a penalty like a low priority queue in the game you keep bringing up for some reason. Each game takes 10 minutes tops and the penalty is essentially only on the Virtual Hat Points you get toward your next Virtual Hat.

LordVonEarlDuke fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 24, 2016

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Please someone tell me how to play Zenyatta so I don't feel so ineffective. Plz no comedy option "pick a better support"

You gotta stay near the back and take advantage of your excellent range. Discord the tanks and melt them. The right click is good for corners and such but just holding down left gives you more dps afaik. Remember your orbs work on Line of Sight.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Specifically being effective and doing anything or helping anyone.

Help people by giving them the cool heal orb when they are hurt and do things by shooting people with the purple orb then the clicky orbs. Purple orb will tell you where they are through walls. If you're asking how to stay ALIVE, that's the hard part, and if your team isn't watching your back and the other guys have good flankers or snipers, it's honestly really hard to as Zen. I know you don't want suggestions saying switch heroes but in that case it's really the best way to go. Hero switching is what the game is all about.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Knifegrab posted:

Does anyone actually charge up his orb attacks? Is that corner sniping? Charge, pop out of corner attack and hide?

Yessir. It does brutal damage against slow or stationary people and if you can meatshot it onto the fast squishies who come hunting you you can delete them. But really only around corners and situations like that because otherwise m1 is better.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Ddraig posted:

The sensible thing would be to use your credits to buy sprays. Sprays are the things most likely to drop from any given lootbox, so by having them all, each lootbox is essentially just a huge cache of credits with the occasional thing you actually want.

The sensible thing would be to use your credits to buy the LOL taunt for D.Va and then never buy anything else ever again

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Ruggington posted:

the Japan Respecter and I are as one

The path to true Meiyo is long, senpai Ruggington, but its rewards are manifold. Omedetōgozaimasu.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Jastiger posted:

I like tracer but there is definitely a difficulty curve to her. I find myself often getting the jump on an enemy and buzzing their health down to like..20..and then either dying, get stunned, or they get away. I gotta figure out how to seal the deal instead of just mildly wounding them. Her guns just get so inaccurate its crazy.

Melee is the answer. Its hitbox is mad large.

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

I see a lot of people recommending Winston as a Widowmaker killer, and unless I'm missing something that just seems like so much nonsense. The Widowmakers who shut down games aren't on the ground or anywhere near it, they're posted up as high as they can get, with sightlines on the ramps up to them, and usually a teammate at their back.

I don't need a Winston to kill any Widow a Winston has an ice cube's chance in hell of getting to. I can do that with drat near anyone. When people ask how to counter Widow, they're talking about the too-common nightmare scenario I described above

He has a big jump

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Your Loyal Vizier posted:

Can it go up buildings?

Yeah, if you aim up it goes high instead of long

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Pleased to announce the paperwork came through and Zarya is now officially my real mom who will protect me from any bully

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Cicadalek posted:

Yes but its kind of frustrating because people tend to move so erratically and love to duck behind a wall when you're trying to save their life in exchange for precious charge points

That's why ya gotta save it for when your teamates are being shitheel idiots which is 50% of the time

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Verranicus posted:

First of all: I want to make it clear that I am not offended. I myself am a high-functioning autistic, and I know that sometimes it takes a while for people who meet me to recognize my own psychological differentiation.

I am, however, confused.

Various online sources have suggested that Symmetra is supposedly on the autistic spectrum, and while I haven't seen the official stance myself I do recall reading that apparently some Blizzard employee tweeted affirmative. That said, none of Symmetra's characterization thus far seems to indicate her being on the spectrum--maybe being OCD, and seeing herself as a hero with high standards, but nothing that I would see as familiar in either myself or the other members of the spectrum I have met. I would describe my own experience with autism as "Body language is a foreign language;" I did take many psychology and theatre classes to learn how people emoted, but to this day there are so many things I miss and I'm honestly more comfortable when communication is limited to text or voice, rather than legit face to face. Symmetra... does not seem to have anything quite like this in her character, although there isn't anything that says she isn't autistic either.

To that end, I'm going to list a few possible ways to demonstrate her autism below. I recognize that I am not a developer, and that the developers can choose to ignore my choices, and that the implementation of any of these might have come about independently; these are to be honest reflections on my own experiences and only meant to explain what I mean.

Being sarcasm blind is kind of a staple of autism; we are aware it exists, but a lot of the subtle tells we give and receive are lost in translation. Voice lines where Symmetra clarifies "I was being sarcastic," or awkwardly checks "That was sarcasm, right?" might be an easy way to emphasize the hard time she has reading others.

Symmetra might react well to being called fit or graceful, as she is a dancer. However, being called beautiful or pretty would result in confusion, irritation, or just ignoring the comment; unless she is explicitly trying to look good, being told she looks good is as irrelevant as being told her dress is blue.

Because of our lack of body language comprehension, autistic people tend to avoid eye contact as the face is a very complex and subtle thing that can overwhelm us while we try to interpret it. It would not surprise me if Symmetra constantly wore her visor so she could have a filter while she looked people 'in the eye'; any time she is without it might be a time where she refuses to meet people's gaze, although she might not realize it.

Speaking of face contact, Symmetra might find socializing with Omnics easier because of their lack of face. In fact, she might find Bastion easier to be comfortable around then Zenyatta; the lack of words and very precise body language makes for a very clear emotional projection, so she wouldn't feel as awkward as trying to guess what others are feeling (or mentally trying to dissect Zenyatta's neck every time she looks at him).

As to the visor, it might be neat to have another architech put it on and comment on how strangely the data feeds are organized; autistic people don't learn the 'normal' way of thinking as easily as others, because of our lack of body language comprehension leading to not realizing that this or that suggestion is considered important. It would also be amusing to see Symmetra become offended at the architech's confusion, as to her the data feeds are graceful and orderly.

Symmetra might drop in and out of conversations without warning, as most autistic people don't quite grasp the concept of small talk; why talk when it's not relevant, and why keep silent when it is? She could also be annoyed if, for example, Billy Joe Johnson says "OH MY GOSH THE FESTIVAL IS FRIDAY!" if he had asked her to go to the festival on friday a few days ago, because she might see it as repeating something she knows.

Many autistic people have little gestures they do, generally as a way to move their thoughts along; it wouldn't surprise me if Symmetra played with her light sculptures or did some minor dance moves while she walked (in non combat scenarios). She might awkwardly stop if she notices anyone watching her, since it's sort of exposing her mind and that's private; admittedly, that might be more artistic then autistic, the whole "don't show your work while unfinished," but I've had that experience myself.

Symmetra being called autistic while demonstrating no signs of autism that I can recognize is more... annoying then offensive to me. I don't use my autism to excuse my actions, but I have heard of plenty of people who are jerks and justify it by saying "I'm autistic!" even if they really aren't. Symmetra does not seem to do that--she doesn't let autism define her--but at the same time I would have thought it would influence her to some degree.

That said, I do like her character, both storywise and gameplaywise. She might be offended at how I play her--placing turrets in chaotically random positions instead of anything orderly--but in the end I think she's a very reasonable and remarkable part of the Overwatch cast.

source the quote

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Help Im Alive posted:

I got the punk Tracer skin yesterday and feel obligated to use it even though I don't really like it

it looks like she skinned the Crystal Gems and is wearing their hides

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

objects in mirror posted:

LOL

They're getting rid of hero stacking?

Screw the League of Legends/Dota 2 players wanting to turn this SHOOTER into their new moba.

I feel that getting rid of hero stacking will hamper the dynamism of this game and create more conflict between team members.

Only in competitive friend

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Snazzy Frocks posted:

it kind of bothers me that young fleshy-arm genji still has the robot arm shuriken reload actions

If you slow it way down you can see they're actually all folded up inside the gauntlet and unfold as he draws them. Which is very Naruto

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordVonEarlDuke
Jun 24, 2011

Tom Gorman posted:

Instead of a stealth character I think it would be awesome to have a web-based hero. Like you can shoot web lines from your hands to swing around the map as a mobility skill. Also you could use them to web enemies in cocoons to trap them, or shoot the webs like bullets. Also you're super strong and agile, and you have lots of witty lines. Still haven't come up with a good name though.

I've also been mulling over the concept of a melee hero with metal claws that come out of their hands but I don't have that one fleshed out yet. Kind of just came to me.

While that does sound ultra cool I'm not sold on the idea of the Web trap. This game already has more than enough cc like that.

That Cliffy B game lawbreakers has a grapple swingy class and it looks like the only fun part of it