Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

SiliconX posted:

Yeah, I know I'll get good stuff eventually.

I also heard that the chance of getting a legendary increases each time you open a loot box until you do get one. Truth?

No idea, but that's exactly the kind of RNG mitigation that I love to see in game design. Pure RNG sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

gigawhite posted:

Any idea if I could get some performance improvements in this game by upgrading from my Radeon 6850? Computer's coming up on 5 years old but I don't feel like going all out and building a new rig just yet. Am I mostly limited by my AMD Phenom II? (Yeah, I know. AMD.)

Very, very few games are CPU-bound these days so odds are upgrading the Radeon is all you have to do. There is a chance you're draw call limited because of the CPU but probably not, and then potentially things like Mantle or Vulkan can even get around that somewhat.

Thing is if you're going to do a new rig you'll probably want a new card too yeah? So I'd say upgrade the new card first, you'll probably be able to turn some settings up, and then later you can upgrade the mobo+CPU and keep the same GPU upgrade you'd been using.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Mortimer posted:

:laffo:

what in the world? 99% of online games are cpu-bound...

:ssh: that's not what CPU-bound means.

The only games that are CPU-bound are things like GTA which are constantly streaming assets and doing large scale simulations. (Also planetside, total war, etc.)

Most games are entirely GPU-bound, especially simple shooters. "Online" doesn't have anything to do with rendering on GPU or using CPU calculations. Do you mean MMOs or what? Either way you're wrong.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

prom candy posted:

So now that we're almost one full day in how high do you guys think the skill ceiling on this game is? Will there be a pro scene? Will we settle into a stale meta and rage at pubs who dare question it?

Somebody post that picture of the widowmaker spider-man jumping over the ledge to shoot reinhart in the back of the head.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Gordong Dongbay posted:

I don't know what I expected but playing solo is a loving nightmare. Nothing but damage heroes as far as the eye can see yet the opposite team always seems to have a good comp.

It'll get better over time as people learn how the game works and the fact that teams should probably be balanced. Until then, play with goons.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

zooted heh posted:

here's me teaching Reinhardt how to fly.

https://youtu.be/U2zwTs9v6h4

poetry in motion

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Somebody should make an overwatch POTG thread so we don't get people posting these things all the time breaking up the conversation.

Not that your moments of glory aren't fun to watch :)

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Microwaves Mom posted:

I think they should allow you to leave as long as they keep throwing you into games already in progress. Especially when your team is 30 seconds from losing.

You do get an XP bonus for getting thrown into a match right before it ends and sticking it out though, which is nice. Maybe they should bump it a little.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Raskolnikov posted:

So Victory / Defeat is a good spot then?

Yeah any time from Victory to after the warmup period of the next match should be fine I think?

I usually leave during the voting.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

After playing a bunch of all the characters, initially favoring soldier, reaper, reinhart and lucio, and finally groups starting to balance roles more so I can play what I want and not just always have to be reinhart to help tank, I've finally found what are my two favorite/best characters, not at all what I expected going in.

Roadhog and Widowmaker.

So. Much. Fun.

Roadhog once you really learn to nail the hook reliably, especially when you get the rhythm of hook-shoot or hook-melee-shoot, you're a beast. And you can constantly self-heal for a ton! Seems lots of people underestimate him.

Widowmaker I just avoided because its the sniper and most teams have had too many, but I'm pretty solid with a sniper rifle and nailing several headshots in a row feels so good. Just headshot a Lucio in mid-air, like a boss.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

This game rules but PUG matches are slowly driving me insane, I'm just going to have to start playing with goons more.

Have you guys run into the phenomenon where somebody sees they have a gold medal and thinks that means they're better than everybody else? I had some kid telling me I need to start healing because he had a gold medal in heals. Dude, I've healed 45% of all team damage taken; I'm loving healing. Plus we won last round and we're about to win this round too, what the hell are you complaining about?

Lady Naga posted:

I've found the opposite problem; it's all incredibly headache-inducing generic genre fiction that is just slathered in layer upon layer of melodrama.

Starcraft 2's story, especially Heart of the Swarm, deserves a loving Razzie award. Its so loving bad.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

I got a firefighter Mei drop as my second gold skin. Almost have 1000 moneys saved up, not sure what my first skin purchase is gonna be. Was thinking Mariachi Reaper, but I've been playing much more Roadhog, so maybe I'll get his Mako skin.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Rorus Raz posted:

Solo queue can suck on offense because all it takes is defense to gently caress your team up once and you get stuck in a protracted loss because pubs can't just sit for ten seconds to allow everyone to regroup. This happens less on defense just because you have a focal point to rally around, and defense doesn't have to be aggressive.

Its doubly bad because on offense you need to push the payload or stand on the point, and if people are just running around getting murdered over and over that'll never happen. But on Defense all they have to do is kinda kill dudes and they help out, there's much less of a necessary team role on defense. As a result solo queue defense is way more fun than offense which sucks.

Although its also staggering how many players don't realize how important it is to contest the payload or contest the capture point on defense. Sometimes just jumping on the point and getting yourself killed is totally worth it if it buys your team the precious seconds they need to run back from respawn, but very few solo queue players are thinking team tactics like that.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

4 Torbies, 1 Reinhardt and 1 Zenyatta on defense is pretty hilarious.

Thyrork posted:

This is the terrible secret to enjoying Lucio. :ssh:

Lucio is so much fun on Ilios or Nepal, there's an open pit right next to the capture point and you can just doot people to death over and over.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jun 1, 2016

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Vermain posted:

I don't mean to make it sound like he's bad or anything - he's clearly very good and 100% necessary on KotH - but he often ends up feeling rather dull. If his LMB had a faster projectile speed, I'd probably enjoy playing him more.

Learn to lead his shots, its actually pretty satisfying once you do. Takes skill but if you land all 3 of the blaps on somebody it does a LOT more damage than most people seem to realize.

Big guys especially are pretty easy targets for landing lots of hits and doing pretty huge damage.

Help Im Alive posted:

When Uncharted 4 arrived a day late they extended my Prime membership by a month

Let's all agree to buy products from Amazon

Every time Amazon has messed something up, I've gotten them to give me free money.

Once I got them to give me over a hundred dollars because of a free game promotion, and it ended up the free games wouldn't have even been worth that much.

Their customer service is amazing.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

jubelio posted:

I prefer the characters that can hoist a bad team up and drag them kicking and screaming across the victory screen. Torb, Widow, maybe Lucio and Reinhardt but not as much.

I guess Widow can carry if you're getting tons of kills, but even then only really on defense. I do love playing widow though.

Roadhog on the other hand can seriously carry a team, you can tank and heal yourself while also hooking enemy characters and murdering them one by one. And once you learn how to properly take advantage of his ult, its insane.

Reinhardt is also a pretty huge carry, the problem being that if he's really blocking for other people he can't also be fighting, and that means the team needs to shoot. If they're so dumb they can't hit the broad side of a barn, he isn't going to help at all, just stand around feeling frustrated that his team is useless. Roadhog isn't as tanky but doesn't have that problem at all.

Lucio and Mercy are so important to team success that one or the other is pretty much mandatory, but again if your team sucks at shooting you're still not going to be able to carry them kicking and screaming to victory.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

fadam posted:

Get a skin for a good hero like McCree or Lucio instead.

Lucio has no good skins though.

McCree has some okay ones.

Its a shame Torbjorn and Winston have some of the best since I don't play them as much.